Chasing Rainbows

Per weiss719

Her eye-smile that hid all the tears. His dimples that kept all the pain. Made them spend their lives chasing... Més

1. Expecting
2. Her Life
3. His Life
4. Chicken and Beer
5. Charity Dinner
6. The Talk
7. Best Friends
8. Sandpearl
9. Water lovers
10. Maybe the Night
12. Waiting
13. Home
14. The Question
15. Secret Surprise
16. Whirlwind
17. Last Love

11. Morning

2.5K 113 21
Per weiss719

As the sun touched the sky, Bin was awakened by the message tone of his phone. Remembering what happened last night, he moved his hands to the side of his bed, only to find it empty...

He opened his eyes and looked around but did not see any trace of her.

"Yej? Yej?!!"

He tried to shout...no one answered...

Wrapping the robe from a nearby table, he went out of the room to the restroom and still didn't find her..Wondering, he went back and took his phone to check the message. It was Hali.

Bin, we didn't wake you up. Choi and I went around town. Yej left early this morning, she has an emergency C-section this afternoon, she took a flight back to Houston at 9 AM. She just messaged me and told me to give her number to you. So here it is: 281-273-2854. We'll see you at lunch.

Bin looked at the clock. 10 AM. She's probably on her flight now. He tried to call her, but it was unattended. He missed her already. He remembered and smiled at what happened.

My first love. Recalling her beautiful face, he sighed. Finally, all the heaviness has lifted up. His pain was gone. And he's excited to start anew with her. With these thoughts, he happily went to the shower.

When he came back, his phone rang. His mother.

"Eommoni?" He said, thinking why she would call, if it's around midnight in Korea.

"My son..." He heard her cry..

"Eommoni, what happened, tell me.." Now nervous, he sank to his bed..

"Your Abeoji..."

-----

Yejin just finished her operation and was drained by the series of events that day...or the previous night...she smiled, recalling how she spent the night with Bin, and falling asleep in his arms, just as she had always dreamt. She pouted when she recalled that she just wasn't able to wake up in his arms and enjoyed the morning cuddling with him...the disadvantage of being a doctor on-call...

It was already 8 PM and she was famished since the last meal she ate was the quick lunch from the airport. She went to her car and before she started it, she once again looked at her phone, with still an empty battery. She sighed. He might have called her.

Because she was in a hurry, she left her charger in her room back in Florida. She was not able to charge it, since her extra charger was at her apartment. She told Hali to give him her number instead because Hali didn't have his number, since they just use face time whenever they catch up.

My Bin...I missed you.

This time, she smiled. Her eye-smile now replaced her tears that fell every time he crossed her mind before. Like a teenager, blushing, she happily drove her way home.

She charged her phone as soon as she got inside her room. She ate dinner, took a shower and prepared for sleep. She looked at her phone once again. No call nor any message. Tired due to the long day, she easily fell asleep.

-----

The following morning, Yejin woke up, excited for the new day ahead of her. This has been the most comfortable sleep she had to date, since she left Korea. Though her body's sore from the past days events, she felt energized. She was supposedly still on leave today, so she just decided to rest...and wait for his call. She smiled and got excited to hear his voice again...

Rising up, she cooked breakfast, a thing she hadn't done for a long time. As she was sipping her coffee, her phone rang. It's Hali.

"Yej..it's Hali.." her voice devoid of excitement.

"Hello my best friend! I'm sorry about yesterday...I needed to leave right away. What's up?"

"Well, Bin asked me to call you...he left for Seoul straight from here..."

"Omo...what happened?" Shocked with what she heard, her heart raced.

"His dad, Yej, he's in coma...and Bin's mom asked him to go home...he said everything were in chaos, their business, a family rift between his dad and his dad's siblings, and his dad's health...he was needed to fix things and of course, to support his mom..."

She felt a lump in her throat...her heart sank low...and she got worried for Bin..."Was he okay Hali?"

"He's very worried Yej, but he told me to call you and explain everything to you, and he hoped you'll understand..Is everything okay with you two? Did something happen? Are you back together?" Hali asked without a pause.

Well...Yejin was shocked by the turn of events. Though she longed for them to be together again, she was more concerned of the challenges that Bin now face, reminiscent of what she's been through in the past. Of all people, of course, she understood. But the thing is, they have not talked about "them." They just understood the status of their relationship based on their actions - or rather, by how they expressed their love for each other last night. But still, they need to talk and clear things out.

"Yeah, everything's fine, Hali. And no, we're not yet together. I hope he's okay."

"Not yet?"

"Yeah, something like that."

"Anyway, I'll try to contact him when we get back to Seoul. But would you be okay?"

"Of course, Hali. I'm just concerned about him."

"Okay, Yej, just send me a message okay? I'll get back to you as soon as I get hold of him. It seems like you two need to patch up a lot of things, huh?"

"Yes Hali, but of course, his father's health, their business and family should be prioritized first. I should understand right?"

"Yes, yes, of course. By the way, we're checking out now, we're going with Choi's uncles for a road trip up north. Call me if you need me, okay?"

"Sure, Hali, enjoy your trip, and don't worry about me, okay?"

With that, they bid goodbye. She continued to eat her breakfast, and still feeling tired, she just showered and then went back to bed.

Bin...I hope you're doing okay...

She didn't even have his current personal email address. What they had was the company's email address. Opening her mailbox, she tried to search his previous emails and tried to compose messages to them.

Hi Bin. I learned from Hali what happened to your father, your family and business. I hope you are doing fine. Here's my number in case you need to contact me. 281-273-2854. Take care. Yejin.

Though she wanted so much to express what she felt, she deemed it unnecessary at this time, with all the things he's facing. She doesn't want to add to the things he needed to attend to. Again, she knew. She's been there. And of all people, she should be the first to understand him. With that, she smiled.

I'll wait for you, my love, my Bin.

Feeling peaceful, she fell asleep again.

-----

Yejin returned to her normal routine in the weeks that follow after that day. She'd have her clinic daily and alternately in the hospital and the women's center. Her work kept her busy, plus her duties in the Korean Community. From time to time, she'd follow up on Bin through her emails, even SNS. Hali and Choi have returned to Korea, and though they have tried to contact Bin in his office and apartment, they still wasn't able to talk to him. They learned that he's been juggling his time traveling overseas for the company while attending to the needs of his dad. Their family issue was even rumored in the elite circle in Seoul, making things worse for him and his family. They understood why they've been keeping silent even to their close friends.

Though Yejin missed him big time, she understood and didn't hold a single grudge on him. She just hoped that everything will be fine and that if opportunity permits, he'll go back to Houston and patch things up.

One September morning, Yumi passed by her clinic and informed her that she won't be able to come to the retirement dinner for their department's head.

"Oh, but why? You know, I don't usually come if you're not there. Please, let's go together?" She asked.

"Yej, I have my period, I just wanted to rest after my op this afternoon. You should go, the other doctors would be there." Yumi said, persuading her to go.

"Okay then, if you say so. Take some meds if you cannot take the pain anymore."

"Yeah, I'll get one from the pharma."

"Okay, I also don't have any here." She said, looking at her drawer.

As Yumi left, her eyes caught the desk calendar beside her. It's been three weeks since she'd last seen him, and Hali and Choi. Smiling, she reminisced their time together. How she missed them! Especially him.

She already checked her email this morning, as well as Hali's message, but still no reply from him. It's already midnight in Seoul, she said as she looked at the clock. Going back to the files she's holding, she suddenly thought to herself to remember that she needs to buy meds for dysmenorrhea, just in case Yumi will need one and of course, herself...

Uh-oh.

Suddenly, it hit her.

She had her period a week before she came to Florida. So she must have her period by next week. Knowing her cycle and being an ob-gyn herself, there's a little chance that she conceived that night. She tried not to worry about it, but she couldn't discount the possibility. Trying to calm herself, she noted that she'd drop by the pharma later to grab an early result pregnancy test kit. Then she realized, it might just make her be more anxious since it's more accurate to have the test after her missed period.

"Dr. Son?" A woman slipped her head through her clinic's door.

"Yes?" She looked at her, inquiring.

"I'm scheduled for an appointment today, right now." The woman smiled.

"Oh, yes, please come in. Good morning." She lost track of time and forgot her next client, who's now here. Focusing on her patient, she convinced herself that she need not worry about it and went on with her day.

-----

That early Saturday morning, she was catching up with Hali and Choi. It has been their habit to call each other weekly. They have been chatting for a while, and they told her that Bin seemed to be very busy as he still did not return their call. Hali, noted, however, that they bumped into her sister at the supermarket. She told them that Bin was out of the country and might return by the third week of September. Their father was still in coma, though he was showing progress in his vital stats. Yejin was relieved with the news. After that, Hali then became excited.

"Yej!! I think you should come to Seoul soon!"

"Huh? Why?"

"Or should I come there to you? Baby, what do you think."

Choi just looked at her sweetly.

"Why, what's the matter? Are you leaving Choi?" Yejin laughed, teasing Choi.

"No, we're pregnant!" Hali exclaimed and hugged Choi.

"Wow, that's great Hali!"

Normally, she would have jumped with excitement, knowing her best friend was pregnant. It had been their dream that they would raise their children together, like their own, and will make them become best friends, just like them. However, she felt nervous realizing her situation. Trying to hide her ordeal, she exclaimed and rejoiced with them.

"I should come there, then? Hmm..how I wish I could really go. But my schedule won't permit it, Hali."

"Hey, I'm just joking. Of course, you should come, let's schedule it. Maybe when I give birth? That way, you'll have enough time to plan?"

"Yeah, that's great!" She's been wanting to visit home.

They continued to chat, with her giving advises to Hali as an ob-gyn, what to expect and what to do. She told them to do her check-up as soon as possible.

"Hey Choi, be good to Hali, okay? Don't stress her out!"

"Of course, Yej! I've always been good to her." He kissed her on her forehead.

"I'm cringing! Okay, then, it's already late there, you should get enough rest Hali. Let's schedule our call much earlier next time okay? You shouldn't stay late."

They bid goodbye and ended the call.

-----

7 AM. Yejin woke up to the sound of her alarm tone. She got her phone, and did her usual morning routine. Check her email. Check her SNS. Check her call log. Nothing. As she check the time again, the date on her phone registered to her mind.

September 15. It should be the third day of her period but still, she didn't have it. She felt tired, the normal symptoms of dysmenorrhea. Rising up, she immediately got the pregnancy test kits she bought a few days ago. She went to her bathroom and pointed the absorbent tip of the test stick directly into her urine stream. After least 10 seconds, she re-capped the device, placed it horizontally on a clean, flat surface, and waited for 5 minutes. She felt like she was waiting forever.

Please...please...

She muttered as she looked on the strip, hoping it will return a single line. A few minutes later, a single pink line showed...followed by another line...Yejin froze.

It was a Wednesday morning. She sank at her bathroom's floor, speechless. She knew that there could still be a chance that the result was false-positive, but her guts tells her it's positive. At loss as to what to do, she called Yumi. She would need her help.

"Hi, will you be at your clinic today?"

"Yes, I'll be there. My appointment at McGovern was cancelled."

"Okay, see you then."

"Yej, are you alright? You seemed to be so serious huh?"

"I'm fine, it's just my stomach."

With that, she got up and tried to prepare herself. A minute later, she found herself in her bed, her face buried in her pillow.

This couldn't be. Bin and I haven't fully patch things up...he's facing a lot of things right now...and then this?

Though she knew him, she's still afraid how he's gonna react with this news. Yes, she heard him say that he loved her that night, but she still couldn't be so sure...what if things have changed? After all that she's done, and after what he's facing right now?

Oh no, Yejin...what have you gotten into?

She felt her chest tighten and she rose, tried to eat breakfast and prepared herself to work. She forced her mind to not think of anything that would make her worry.

-----

"Dr. Kang?" Yejin said, her head tilting at Yum's clinic door.

"Good morning, Dr. Son!" Yumi smiled at her. "What's up?"

Yejin went straight to her clinic as soon as she got to the hospital. Her patient wouldn't come until 10 AM that morning. It's just 8:30.

She went inside, sat down on the patient's chair and took out the test kit from her bag.

Yumi looked at it. "Is there a problem with your patient?"

She shook her head.

"Or are you asking me to check this brand?"

She shook her head again. "It's mine."

Looking at her in disbelief, Yumi took the test stick and looked at it closely.

"Yej, this is yours??! You are???"

She looked at Yumi, nodding, her eyes welling up with tears.

"Omo! You want me to order a blood test for you?"

"Please?" She's now crying.

Yumi went to her and hugged her. "Omo Yej...Is he the father?"

Understanding who she meant, she answered. "Yes."

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

Babe, I Love You Per binjinhunny

Literatura romàntica

148K 6.8K 37
Fate decides to bring rough circumstances for the two lovers who just started to madly fall in love with each other. Are they really destined to be t...
6.3K 155 20
You and Hyunjin have been best friends for a really long time already. You knew each other since the two of you were 15 Which means that you know St...
28.9K 1.6K 50
V's POV We both look into each other's eyes. I feel her honesty with each word. I see her love for me in her eyes. I'm on another universe right now...
94.3K 4.5K 36
A binjic fanfic... Revenge or love? Which will win? A marriage that initially had a hidden intention. An old revenge that became toxic in the marriag...