How'd You Get This Number...

By superperce_lock

When Peter Parker accidentally sends a quick text to Natasha Romanoff herself, things start to get a little w... More

1 - i broke a street lamp
2 - mystery peter
3 - broken screens and panic attacks
4 - welcome to the group chat
5 - hunger pains
6 - internship ?!
7 - bullet wounds
8 - i'll be fine, mr. stark!
9 - where did it go?
10 - i need you
11 - it's not good
12 - isn't he adorable?
13 - it's okay, peter
15 - top bunk
16 - nowhere to go
17 - are you?
18 - mamaspider
19 - m i n e c r a f t
- hey! -
20 - god of mischief
21 - if only
22 - party time!
23 - beat 'em up, pete!
24 - loki
25 - monster
26 - i lost the kid
27 - alone
28 - hopeless
29 - useless
๐ŸŽ‰ one year anniversary! ๐ŸŽ‰

14 - i was wrong

28.3K 825 1.6K
By superperce_lock

What?? An early (and THICC) chapter?! Where I found the time to write this—I have no idea.

also abuse warning, trigger put in brackets!
_____

*chat: May*

May
Peter I swear to god if you don't answer your phone I'm gonna lose my mind

Peter
MAY?
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN HOME?

May
Peter, you've been gone all day
I got home this morning
Why aren't you answering my calls?

Peter
OH MY GOD
UH
I HAD WORK

May
What?
It's Sunday, Peter

Peter
Yeah!!!
Mr. Stark needed me!

May
He needed you so bad that you had to not reply to my calls or tell me where you are? Seriously?
Don't pin this on your boss, Peter

Peter
I'm so sorry may! I'd tell you, but you know
Super secret Tony Stark stuff! ^-^

May
Yeah okay
You're grounded for, like, a week
You know that, right?

Peter
okayyyy ;(
I accept these terms

May
I couldn't care less whether you accepted them or not
You skipped school last week and now you wouldn't answer any of my calls
I'm disappointed in you, Peter

Peter
I'm sorry may
I really am

May
Just come home already, it's like 5
Family Feud comes on in half an hour

Peter
omg it's been so long since we've watched that together :o

May
Yup
Since Ben passed

Peter
I miss it

May
So do I :)

Peter
Okay, on my way home :D

May
Good
larb you
hehehe

Peter
larb you too, May 😂

____

Yeah—the Avengers were not gonna like the fact that I was going home, but they were just gonna have to deal with it. As much as I wish it were true, Nat isn't my mom and I can't live here forever *sad peter noises*.

I texted Ned after the whole Hydra thing to let him know I was still alive and I was sorry for not being able to come over today. He understood after I explained that I was unconscious when we were supposed to hang. Ned was more worried than mad, to be honest.

My ankle was better, but still hurting a little bit. Thankfully, my fever had broken and the only evidence remaining that I had ever been sick was the tiredness shown clearly in my eyes. "I gotta head out." I sigh as I push off the couch.

"What?" Nat questions, standing up with me to make sure I didn't fall. They'd stuffed me full with chicken noodle soup and chocolate milk earlier, so my ankle was practically fully healed by now. Just a little pain. "But what about—"

"My aunt wants me home." I clarify and stare down at the ground in slight embarrassment. Understanding dawns on Nat's face.

"You know, sometimes I forget that you actually have a legal guardian." Clint nods at me.

"So do I." I laugh tightly and start to walk towards the exit. "Thank you for everything!"

At my goodbye, the rest of the Avengers' heads shoot up and look in my direction. "When will you be over again?" Mr. Rogers blurts out. Everyone is piled up on the couch with various types of snacks in their hands. We'd watched Star Wars all day after I was finally able to convince them that the series is amazing!

"Well, he's got work with me tomorrow, right? So, then?" Mr. Stark smiles brightly at me. Oh, yeah—I forget he's my boss!

I return the smile, "Sure thing, Mr. Stark."

"Tony, kid." He corrects.

I just smile again in return and grab my backpack off the side of the chair by the kitchen island. Giving everyone one last wave, I make my way down the hallway towards the elevator. "Peter, wait!" I hear Nat call after me.

The doors were just about to close when I heard her voice. "Nat?" I chuckle lightly.

She comes jogging up, placing her foot in the door to stop it from closing. The doors bounce back open. We sit there for a minute. Is she gonna say something? "Nat?" I repeat, smirking at her. She seems to be struggling for words.

"I just wanted to, um—" Nat clears her throat and checks behind her to make sure no one's listening. However, I'm sure all the Avengers are pressed against the wall listening closely to our conversation. "—to remind you that I'll always—" She shuts her eyes tightly, "—we'll always be here for you. No matter what." Her kind eyes smile at me, regardless of how defensive her posture seems. It's almost as if she has a permanent guard put up around her to protect her from getting hurt. But I can always see the vulnerability in her eyes. I wonder if anyone else notices it?

"Thanks, mom." I chuckle at the nickname I gave her around a week back.

Nat smiles widely, "Text me when you get home. Wouldn't want you dying on us." She laughs in return. Nat scruffs my hair once, then moves her foot away from the door crack. The doors slide shut.

I smile down at the ground. I can't wait to come back tomorrow.

__hello, this is jerry™️, he is your friendly neighborhood time skip :D__

In case you're wondering how I was able to get home: Somehow—by the grace of god—I'd convinced the Avengers to let me walk home. I think they see me as tougher now that they know I'm Spider-Man. It's not like it's really changed anything, but I wasn't about to remind them of that.

I'm currently standing outside the apartment door. I've been here for the past 5 minutes, thinking.

May wants to hang out. If she's been drinking, then she's gonna wonder why I can't get any closer than 6 from her without vomiting all over my sneakers. It's funny, I say 'if' like there's a chance she might not be. May's drank every day for the past 3 years, of course she'll be drinking.

Now—let me clarify again: May isn't an alcoholic! There's no way my aunt is an alcoholic! I just think that drinking helps her. I know that her drinking kind of screws me over, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make if it makes her feel better. May would never hurt me or anything like that. She's my family. My only family.

Finally, I gather enough guts to turn the door handle and shove the door open. May's sitting on the couch, a bucket of popcorn in her lap. Family Feud just started on the television in front of her. "Hey, Pete." She smiles back at me.

I take a careful step inside, waiting to get smacked with the stench of alcohol.

Nothing comes.

"Get over here, weirdo." May laughs and waves me over. I set my backpack on the ground gingerly and close the door behind me. As I walk closer to her, I flinch and wait for the pungent smell to hit me like a sack of bricks. Again, it never does.

Did she stop drinking? Or has she just not drank today?

I sit down next to her on the charcoal grey couch, eyeing her warily. This is the closest I've been to May in 3 years. "Is everything okay?" She lays her hand on my shoulder gently. I flinch away, and immediately regret my quick reaction. "Peter..." May sighs, leaning back into the couch. "I know you're not comfortable being in this apartment with all the memories."

I wish I could just tell her that Ben isn't the problem. I wish I could tell her that she's the reason I barely even live here. But I wouldn't be able to live with myself if she blamed herself for that. She's had no idea that her drinking is the reason our relationship is ruined.

I lean back against the couch, laying my head on May's shoulder. "I miss you, May." I murmur as I stare straight at the screen where Steve Harvey is reading a prompt to a game member.

"I miss you too, Peter." She sighs and lays her head on mine. My phone goes off, so I pull it open to check the notification. Turns out, I've already missed around 20 texts.

____

*chat: the crew*

CAW CAW
takeeeee onnnnn meeeee

Cool
TAKE

CAW CAW
ON

Cool
ME

CAW CAW
taaAAAKKEEE meeEEE oooOONNN

Cool
TAKE

CAW CAW
ON

Cool
ME

CAW CAW
ILLLLLLL
BEEEEEEE
GOOOOOONEEE

Cool
IN A DAY ORR
TWOOOOOOOOOO

Printer
shut thE FUCK UP ALREADY
I CAN HEAR YOU FROM MY LAB
JESUS CHRIST

Old
There's no stopping them, Tony
I couldn't stop Bucky 70 years ago
No way I'm gonna be able to stop him now

Cool
no one can stop me now
fuck

Old
Why did you curse
There was literally no reason

Cool
because I felt like it
b i t c h

Old
You're the bane of my existence

Cool
Which is why you love me

CAW CAW
I SHIP
I SHIP
I SHIP

POP TARTS
WHERE ARE YOU SAILING?

CAW CAW
TO THE ISLAND OF STUCKY, THOR
THE GLORIOUS ISLAND OF STUCKY

Cool
wut da fuq is a stucky

Spy
Oh don't get him started please

CAW CAW
YOUR SHIP NAME, YOU OLD MEN YOU
(/^▽^)/

Old
We don't own a ship?

CAW CAW
LIKE HELL YOU DON'T

Peter
What is going on
Holy cow 😂

Spy
Peter! :D
You didn't text me when you got home

Peter
I'm sorry, I forgot
My aunt was mad but we chillin now
Watching some family feud

Spy
I thought you had that problem...?

Peter
I don't think she's drank anything today
:D

Spy
Peter that's great!

Old
That's awesome kid

Cool
Ohhh yeah
Nat mentioned something about that

Peter
YoU TOLD THEM?

Spy
Well you weren't necessarily discreet about it...?

Peter
touchee

Printer
Isn't it touché

Spy
yeah, but touchee is funnier
;D

Peter
;D

Cool
So what's up    b i t c h e s
You all   d i s p e r s e d   after peter left

Peter
Really?
awww \(^-^)/

Old
I'm in the gym

Printer
building stuff
in fact
building spider stuff 👀

Peter
👀👀

CAW CAW
👀👀👀👀

Cool
how
how do I do that

Peter
emojis? 😎🧊🛴

Cool
...yes...

CAW CAW
HAAAAA
THE OLD MAN DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO USE EMOJIS

Cool
DON'T LAUGH AT ME CHICKENMAN
I'LL FUCK YOU UP

Old
BUCKY.
CALM YOURSELF.

science man
hey so
politely turning you on silent

Cool
BRUCE HOW DARE YOU
HOW FUCKING DARE YOU

CAW CAW
BRUCE NOOOOO
WE CAN HELP

science man
yeah I'm ignoring you fools
mute is on

Peter
bruceeee ;(
pweaseeeeeeee ヽ( ༎ຶ⌑༎ຶ )ノ

science man
annddddd mute is off now
how does he make me feel guilty through a screen

Spy
I'm telling you
It's one of his abilities

Peter
👀👀

CAW CAW
yeah he somehow figures out how to use it on the fandom in every frickenfrackinpattywackin movie

Spy
What?

CAW CAW
What?

Peter
hey I'm rly sorry guys but I'm watching family feud w my aunt rn I gtg
I think she's getting suspicious

Spy
Ohhh sorry pete

Cool
Is no one gonna teach me about these emojis

___

"Peter?" May tilts her head at me. "Who're you talking to?" I shut my phone off and shove it into my pocket. I'd turn it on silent entirely, but that little switch actually snapped after Flash knocked me down a few weeks back. It's proven to be a problem when my phone goes off a consecutive 100 bajillion times in the middle of class because Bucky and Clint have gotten into an argument about which brand of ketchup is best.

"Uhhh, no one." I smile at her and move to the kitchen. Pulling the refrigerator door open, I find actual food in the fridge! It's been so long since I've ever been comfortable enough to even get close to the fridge, let alone eat something out of it!

Okay, yes—there's also alcohol in here. But it's reassuring to know that May has yet to drink any of it today!

"Oh, oh, oh!" She follows me to the fridge, bouncing excitedly with each step. "I got us sushi!"

"SUSHI?" I gasp. "I LOVE SUSHI." I watch with wide eyes as she pulls a fresh platter out of the fridge and passes me a pair of chopsticks. We dig in, giving a quiet hum of satisfaction every few seconds.

"So, how has everything been? Haven't seen you in a while. What, with your internship and school and my double shifts..." May trails off as she waves her chopsticks around expressively.

My phone goes off a consecutive 30 more times and May nods her head to my pocket. "I'm just gonna check—" I wave her off and pull my phone out.

___

*chat: the crew*

Spy
I saw you climb into that vent Clint
Get out or I'll come get you out

Cool
t e r r i f y i n g

CAW CAW
COME GET ME NAT
I DOUBLE DOG DARE YA
...

Cool
OH FUCK
I HEARD HIM SCREAM THROUGH THE VENTS

Spy
It's done

Printer
Did yoU FUCKING KILL CLINT?

CAW CAW
HEHHE
I'M GONNA TAG YOU TONY

___

"Peter, it's obviously somebody." She laughs and grabs my attention back. "You've been texting them the entire time we've been hanging out."

"It's no one, May!" I insist and put my phone back in my pocket. I grab my chopsticks again and engulf another sushi roll.

"Come on, Peter." May sighs and sets her chopsticks down. "Don't lie to me."

"Just Ned and MJ." I stutter, staring into the countertop as I talk. I know if I made eye contact with her while lying, she'd call my bluff in less than a second.

"Okay—" May shoves away from the countertop and stands with her arms crossed in the middle of the kitchen. "Obviously, whoever you're texting matters more than spending any of your time with me."

My eyes widen, "May, no—!"

"I thought for once—for once—we could spend some time together. Actually, I planned the whole day out for us. But for some reason—no idea why—you decided to not answer my calls or come home."

I wish I could tell her that I was literally UNCONSCIOUS and BROKEN during that. But that'd give away both mine and the Avengers' identities.

May's face softens, yet her eyes remain stone cold, "You've always hated being in this apartment, so I tried my best to make it better for you, Peter. I did this for you. But it's obvious where your priorities lie." She throws her hands up and looks over at the window. I can see a few tears well up in her eyes.

"May, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I'm sorry." She refuses to look at me. "I kept telling them I couldn't talk, but they kept texting—"

"They? So more than one person?" She crosses her arms and raises an eyebrow at me. "Give me your phone. I'm looking through your texts."

"NO." I respond out of impulse. May scoffs and reaches to grab it. "I–I mean it's okay! You don't have to!" I stutter.

May's eyes simply wander over my face incredulously. "You're hiding something from me, Peter. I feel like I deserve to know what."

Suddenly, my phone starts to buzz. Why is Nat calling me? "Give me 2 minutes." I place my palms up in the air and step backwards, towards my bedroom. Once there, I hit answer and bring the phone up to my ear. "Nat?"

"Hey, Peter!" Nat exclaims. She sounds stressed. "Just wanted to make sure you were okay. We're a little worried."

"Oh, why?" I chuckle.

"Oh, you know us." She replies nonchalantly. They were worried? How would they know to be worried? "Just worried that maybe, uh, your aunt is catching on..."

Realization smacks me in the forehead. "Did Mr. Stark hack into my phone? Are you listening to my conversations?" My smile falls, replaced by slight anger.

"We were just worried, Peter—" Nat insists, sighing.

I quickly hit end and shove my phone back into my pocket. They hacked into my phone? Do they not trust me with keeping their secret? A feeling of betrayal can't help but borrow into my thoughts as I stare down at my phone. At least I know I'll always have May to trust.

I walk back into the kitchen. My stomach lurches with disgust as the familiar, reeking stench of beer overcomes my senses. All that chicken noodle soup I ate earlier threatens to make an appearance.

May is leaning against the counter, a beer in hand. There's an empty bottle on the counter. She must've chugged that one in the 40 second time span I've been gone. "What happened, Peter?" She sighs defeatedly and just stares me right in the eyes. Not gonna lie, I'm a little afraid right now. "Was it Ben? Is Ben the one who broke our little family apart?"

Anger rises within me, and I lash out at May, "You do not get to pin this on Ben." I take a few deep breaths to calm myself down but it doesn't seem to help at all. "You are the reason our family isn't a family anymore, May. You never knew that but it's true."

May takes another swig of her bottle, then ends up just chugging the rest of it. "What's that supposed to mean?" She scoffs at me. It's taking every fiber of my spider-being to not puke all over the sushi platter right now.

"I miss our family, May. But ever since you started drinking..." I gesture to the two empty bottles now sitting on the countertop by our seafood dinner.

May's eyes wander down to the beer bottles. Suddenly, realization strikes her. "Oh, you're blaming this on the alcohol?" She scoffs incredulously. "You're saying our relationship was ruined because I drink too much?"

"YES, May!" I shout at her. She seems taken aback by my outburst. "I hate it! I hate it so much. I can't come home, I can't eat, I can't even sit on the couch without wondering if you're gonna walk in here drinking again. It's ruined my life, May." I explain.

It hurts to say these things. It hurts so bad to admit that the one family member I have is the reason I can't come home. Looking back on it now, I know I don't deserve to live like this. She doesn't know about the side effects of me being Spider-Man and the high-strung senses that come with it. This problem is not my fault and it isn't hers.

I love my aunt, I really do. And I know she loves me too. She's given me a life—she's given me a place in this family. Now it's my turn to help her. I've just gotta get through this. I've just gotta be there for her. Easy, right?

Wrong.

"You're just being selfish, Peter." She yanks another bottle from the fridge. "This is how I cope. You grieved, so why can't I? It's selfish to pin your problems on other people." I can see in her eyes that she doesn't mean what she's saying. May is simply angry and this is the way her anger is being let out.

But I don't deserve that. If Spider-Man is anything, he's selfless.

[minor abuse trigger here!]

"I'm not selfish, May! I know enough about myself to know who I am. And Peter Parker isn't selfish." I insist and go to pull the bottle out of her hands. In retaliation, she tugs the beer from my grasp and chucks it at my head. My spider senses tingle, making me grab the bottle from out of the air without even realizing it was coming my way. A few tears stream down my face as I look down at the capped beer.

She was gonna hurt me?

[trigger over]

Guilt passes over May's face. "Peter, I'm sorry—"

I simply drop the bottle on the ground. The beer splatters all over the tiled flooring. The smell makes my insides feel like mush, so I hurry to the door and snag my backpack. I sling it over my shoulder and run out of the apartment. "Peter, please!" May calls.

I tried to convince myself that I could help her—that maybe her love for me was stronger than her grip on the bottle.

But I guess I was wrong.

I leap down the stairs and hide in the alleyway beside our apartment building. Leaning over a trash can, I vomit all the food I'd eaten that day right into it. I sit there for 5 more minutes, just trying to regain my sense of self.

Did I just run away?

Sitting against the alley wall, I pull out my phone to text Ned. Tens and tens of messages from the group chat flood my screen, but I ignore them. I don't want to deal with that right now.

____

*chat: Ned*

Peter
Ned
Can I come over

Ned
Is everything okay?

Peter
No
I need a friend

Ned
My house is always open, Peter
You're family my dood

Peter
Lmao thanks ned
On my way

Ned
:D

____________

okay so ship voting time! Comment on this line with the ship you want and I'll tally it up. The top 3 ships with the most requests will compete in a vote in the next chapter :D

(my prediction will be clintasha vs spideypool vs stucky lmao but we'll see what you guys want!!)

Thanks guys! hey, maybe I'll update fast again 😂🤷🏽‍♀️ we shall see

-cake monster

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.5K 315 17
๐๐€๐“๐“๐‹๐„ ๐Ž๐… ๐ƒ๐‘๐„๐€๐Œ๐’ *SLOW UPDATES* โIn which a little girl is cursed by the people she once trusted, and is forced to save the world. All...
994K 26.2K 52
You are a genius, and when you get invited to one of Tony Stark's parties, your life changes forever. Growing up as an orphan (no, none of the Aveng...
52.1K 1.5K 28
โœ…this story is completeโœ… ๐ˆ ๐š๐ฆ ๐š๐ฐ๐Ÿ๐ฎ๐ฅ ๐š๐ญ ๐๐ž๐ฌ๐œ๐ซ๐ข๐ฉ๐ญ๐ข๐จ๐ง๐ฌ. ๐’๐จ ๐ฃ๐ฎ๐ฌ๐ญ ๐ ๐ข๐ฏ๐ž ๐ข๐ญ ๐š ๐œ๐ก๐š๐œ๐ž ๐ฉ๐ฅ๐ž๐š๐ฌ๐ž. ๐ˆ ๐ฌ๐ฐ๐ž๐š๐ซ ๐ญ๐ก...
431K 8.8K 97
"WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM ROGERS?" you yell "YOU! YOU ARE MY PROBLEM!" he yells back "WHY? WHAT DID I DO?" "NOTHING! THAT'S THE PROBLEM Y/N! EVERYDAY YOU...