The Toils (Book Two)

By Elkeene

"Magnus gave a brief thought to Thatcher, somewhere in the deep south, surely over the Cold Country border by... More

I. Black Sky
II. Bomb Lands
III. Settled And Settler
V. First Down
VI. Somewhere New
VII. The Good King
VIII. The Pinch
IX. Tephra
X. The Doctor And The Thief
XI. A Certain Kind Of Vengence
XII. Echoes
XIII. Fractures
XIV. Wanderers
XV. Best Laid Plans
XVI. El Sueño
Extras (Maps, Etc)
Book Three Announcement

IV. The Village

1 1 0
By Elkeene

The dining hall at Pa was crowded, moreso than usual, Ruataupare observed over her breakfast.
Surrounded by soldiers clad in nothing except for a thin belt of burlap around their waists, she ate her weka silently.
She gazed over her shoulder upon hearing the rear door clatter open and watched as Rena bounced purposefully across the floor towards her. 
Rena bent down and whispered - "Thatchers at the western gate".
"And?", Ruataupare urged for more. 
"She isn't alone".

Strutting down the main strip, Ruataupares' eyes widened at the mass of people behind Thatcher. 
She stopped short of the wooden pales separating her from the crowd, Rena stood staunchly to her right, her gaggle of soldiers stood tall behind her.
"Where're Toff and Lobard?", Ruataupare asked bluntly, her voice raised slightly so as to be heard over the southerly breeze blowing flecks of white over them. 
The black sky atop them cast a somber mood across the scene.
Thatcher sighed, to her left she felt Asper tense up, a certain weight bearing down on her.
"They're dead", Thatcher put bluntly, her chest heavier with each passing breath.
"Harreina? Eldore? Do either of them know?". 
"No".
Ruataupare sniffed derisively.
"What?", Thatcher took a step forward.
"What changed inside you, Thatcher?", Ruataupare mimicked her and stepped forward.
The two of them were close enough so that their conversation was near private, though both Rena and Asper could hear quite clearly. 
"Is this really something you want to do here and now?", Thatcher shot back.
"I would've thought that notifying your allies that their second-in-commands had died was a priority for you?". 
"I thought we'd moved passed this?", Thatcher wobbled her head in disbelief.
Ruataupare said nothing. 
"Are you going to let me pass, or not?", Thatcher prodded. 
Ruataupare gave Thatcher a final grimace, before giving Rena the signal to open the gate.

Ruataupare led the crew of twelve hundred through Pa and down onto the northern beach, where a set of canoes lay. 
Over the following hour, the Settlers rowed the forty feet of shore and boarded the small schooner waiting for them.
Thatcher watched from the deck as Asper hauled the last of the refugees onto the boat. 
Standing at the wheel, Thatcher was surprised to see Ruataupare climb aboard.
"You keeping an eye on me?", Thatcher threw to her darkly. 
"Yeah, something like that", Ruataupare kept her back turned to Thatcher as she lifted the rope from the waves below.
Thatcher crossed to the opposite side of the deck, where she wound a crank to lift the anchor from the seabed.
"What is your fucking problem?", Thatcher hissed as she cranked.
"You. And the fact that you can't see where the problem lies, speaks absolute volumes", Ruataupare placed the wet rope onto the deck and turned to face Thatcher. 
From the captains' cabin, Asper stepped out and approached Thatcher.
"Can I do anything?", she asked quietly. 
"How's about you introduce yourself?", Ruataupare prickled. 
"Asper", Asper greeted, holding out her hand and crossing the deck.
"And how many people have you eaten alive?", Ruataupare ignored the hand in front of her.
"I-", Asper stuttered, lost for words. 
"Pull back!", Thatcher growled, turning to face the others. 
People started staring, watching the three women, congregating around the ships' wheel. 
"I think it's a fair question", Ruataupare shrugged, feigning innocence. 
"You have no clue what these people have given up for a decent chance at life, and your line of questioning isn't just arrogant, it's borderline idiotic", Thatcher spat on the deck. 
"Are you calling me an idiot?", Ruataupare chuckled, though it was a chuckle of menace, not humor. 
"Yeah, and even more, an arrogant idiot at that", Thatcher stepped forward, daring Ruataupare to escalate things. 
"Yeah", Ruataupare shook her head, "well I'd rather be an idiot than a naive fool".
With that, Ruataupare crossed the deck, entered the captains' cabin, and slammed the door closed.
Shaking her head, Thatcher took her place at the wheel, ready to direct the schooner to Gossfordshire. 

*

Thatcher couldn't tell what time they actually arrived in Gossfordshire, but given the lack of light radiating from the sky; she assumed it was around six o clock in the evening. 
Ruataupare finally exited her cabin once the crew had disembarked onto the wharf in the Citadel. 
"Make yourself useful", Thatcher spoke to her as they moved off the wharf and into the city, "go fetch Wolesley and Grayson from the Second House and send them out to the abandoned village south of Huttson". 
Ruataupare was clearly unimpressed at being given orders but nonetheless did it anyway.

Once Ruataupare had fetched a horse from the nearby stables, Thatcher, Asper, and Ikime took their place at the front of the crowd and began their exit from the city.
Soon enough, they were on the cracked road leading from the city to Huttson, however, unlike they usually would, instead of turning off and going around the heap of rubble, Thatcher stopped and took in the scene. 
The flickering of flaming torches gave little in the way of illumination.
"What's all this, then?", Ikime asked Thatcher with wide eyes, full of intrigue. 
"It's a bridge that collapsed hundreds of years ago", Thatcher said with little emotion.
"Why hasn't it been cleared prior to now?", Asper gently nudged Thatchers' elbow with her knuckles.
"It goes to a village that's long been written off as uninhabitable".
"But we're going to inhabit it?", Ikime responded in disbelief.
"Correct. We've never needed to try clear it out before now; as is, there's enough room for everyone. But as you've seen, some of my friends are a bit wary of you, and I'm sure you've got no reason to trust them, so I figure it's better to put you here, for now", Thatcher turned to address the crowd gathered behind her.
Asper and Ikime followed suit. 
"Basically what we're going to do", Thatcher raised her voice, giving a few seconds for the message to be relayed from one person to the next before continuing, "is take the rubbish from here", she pointed to the wall of concrete and rebar, "and dump it there", she pointed to the ocean lapping at the seawall to her left.
"HOW MUCH ARE WE REMOVING?", a lone male voice shouted from near the rear of the crowd. 
"Enough so that we can all fit through, about three abreast", Thatcher called back.
As if it were a pinnacle moment, Thatcher turned, grabbed a chunk of cement, walked over to the water a couple of feet away, and tossed it into the waves.
With that, the movement was unstoppable; the 1200 people gathered set in, grabbing rubble and heaving it into the water.
Men, women, children, all doing their bit, as if they'd never before been given such a momentous task.
A feeling of hope flooded Thatcher, seeing this; and any doubts she had somehow eased off. 

They still hadn't finished clearing the way by time Ruataupare, Wolesley, and Grayson arrived with a contingent of 40 Guardsmen.
With a flaming torch in hand, Wolesley sped up past the others, approaching Thatcher with a look of concern melted into his features.
"Thatcher", he grumbled, "I need to speak to you".
"Fuck sakes", Thatcher uttered, she knew whatever this was; it wasn't good. 
He guided her over to the rocky seawall where the debris laid strewn about.
They stood quietly for a moment, dust falling delicately from the black sky. 
"It's Ritty", Wolesley sighed.
"What about him?", neither of them stared at each other.
Without breaking his gaze on the ocean, Wolesley handed Thatcher his torch and pulled Rittys letter from a pocket inside his cloak. 
Handing it to Thatcher, Wolesley took back the torch and held it over her head so she could read it.
Gently, she unfolded the letter and read in silence, her lips moving wordlessly as she passed each line. 
Upon finishing, Thatcher finally turned to face Wolesley - "what does this mean?".
"It means you're unimpeded now", Wolesley said plainly. 
"I wasn't particularly impeded, to begin with", Thatcher laughed hollowly. 
"The Crown Loyalists didn't see it that way", Wolesley eyed her cautiously. 
"They never worried me", Thatcher turned on her heel, tucking the letter in her pocket and strutted back towards Asper, Ikime, Ruataupare, and Grayson. 
"THOSE WITH SWORDS, KNIVES, OR OTHER BLADES, MOVE TO THE FRONT!", Thatcher shouted down the crowd.
The crowd reshuffled over the next thirty seconds, a cacophony of "sorry's" and "excuse me's" rang out. 
"OKAY, GOOD. THOSE WITH BLADES ARE GOING TO SLICE THROUGH THE SHRUBBERY, THOSE BEHIND WILL MOVE IT. THIS IS GOING TO TAKE ALL NIGHT, SO ANYONE LOOKING AFTER THE ELDERLY, OR CHILDREN, YOU NEED TO MOVE TO THE REAR AND SET UP CAMP FOR THE NIGHT", Thatcher ordered once more. 
She turned from the crowd to face Grayson and the others. 
"Grayson, you and twenty guards stay here and make sure things stay ordered, we can't have our people harassing these people", she pointed to the mass of Settlers reorganizing themselves, "Wolesley, I'm going to head the front of the line, taking the lead, you take up the rear and make sure no one breaks off or causes trouble. Asper, hold the middle between the blades and the others". 
"Okay", Asper nodded, clearly feeling out of place and somewhat awkward at being included in this group of leaders.
Asper departed into the mass of people, as did Wolesley and ten of his guards. The final ten stayed with Thatcher. 
As if synchronized, they started hacking away. Ruataupare, who noticed she'd been given no instructions, merely stood by and watched bemused. 

"Hey", Rena stood at the door of Magnus's where. 
"Hey", Magnus looked up from her desk next to the door, "did you see Thatcher earlier?".
"I did", Rena entered, sitting on the bed to Magnus's left.
"And...?", Magnus asked. 
"She did it".
"Rescued the people from Cold Country?".
"Yeah... Toff and Lobard, though, they didn't make it back".
"What?", Magnus dropped her quill, "How?".
"She didn't say".
"Holy shit".
"Yeah", Rena sighed, "Ruataupare went with her to Gossfordshire".
"It feels weird, again, right?".
"What do you mean?".
Magnus sighed - what did she mean?
"We've had a pretty good two years, until recently, but suddenly it feels like the world is going backward", Magnus furrowed her brow.
"I know what you mean", Rena spoke quietly. 
Magnus stood, pushing in her chair. 
Slowly she sauntered over to the bed and sat next to Rena. In one swift motion, the two of them slumped against the pillow and laid down. 
"Where does it end for us all?", Magnus asked, staring at the roof. 
"Explain?", Rena beckoned, running a finger across Magnus's cheek.
Magnus inhaled deeply - "in ten years - where will Motueka and Gossfordshire be?".
"I don't know, babe", Rena pulled her hand back, "I really don't".
"Toff and Lobard", Magnus blurted out, "dead?".
"Yeah".
"You know - I knew people were going to die as we made these moves - I just didn't know it would be them... Or so soon", Magnus swallowed hard, trying not to cry.
"I can't promise that this won't happen again - I can't - but I promise to be with you as it does", Rena said vacantly. 
"Please tell me that this was the right decision".
"What part?", Rena turned slightly so that her eyes were fixed on Magnus.
"All of it. Being the puppet-master. Moving into my own house. Being with you".
"I don't know. I just know that whatever you decide, I'm with you", Rena pulled herself up and planted a kiss on Magnus's lips.

*

"Agnes", Thatcher turned through the door and entered her office in the Second House.
"Thatcher", Agnes looked up from her desk. Pimly purred loudly on her lap. 
Thatcher was covered in a mixture of dirt, loose foliage, sweat, and cuts. 
"You look like shit", Agnes put plainly as Thatcher sat opposite her. 
"Amazing what you look like when you've not slept in three days", Thatcher replied sardonically. 
It was, by her last estimate, eight AM, and she'd been working for almost fourteen hours without break. 
"You did it. You brought the Settlers north", Agnes gave a slight smile. 
Ruataupare entered, Agnes watched as she took a seat next to Thatcher. 
"Good morning, I didn't think you'd be back so soon", Agnes smiled. 
"I had to see Thatchers' Great Relocation", Ruataupare stared past Thatcher and addressed Agnes directly. 
"I thought I heard you last night but I couldn't be certain", Agnes furrowed her brow, addressing Thatcher she asked, "I assume Wolesley's caught you up on the whole Ritty situation".
"He has", Thatcher felt her throat dry out. 
"Right, so where are we on your end?", Agnes asked in return. 
"I need to send a letter to Harreina and Eldore Green to notify them that Toff Bauman and Lobard Hibbert are deceased", Thatcher closed her eyes as she spoke. 
"I beg your pardon", Agnes shifted in her seat, sending Pimly running off startled. 
"They were killed in an ambush".
Agnes said nothing, a smug look of satisfaction baked itself into Ruataupares demeanor. 
"Beyond that...?", Agnes trailed off. 
"We need to go north to Waikato to secure land for the Settlers to occupy", Thatcher opened her eyes and spoke. 
"North?", Ruataupare dropped all pretenses of annoyance and spoke with genuine curiosity.
"Yes, north", Thatcher returned heavily. 
"Don't we have room near the northern Gossfordshire border?", Agnes asked. 
"No, or rather, not enough for long term growth", Thatcher scratched her nose, "the last time I checked Magnus's maps and run estimates, they'd have enough land for twenty years before we would need to reassess things".
"Twenty years is more than plenty", Ruataupare hissed.
"Use your head. Every war that's been fought in the last two hundred years has been over land or lack thereof. This is mitigation in its purest form", Thatcher yawned.
"So? Integrate them into Gossfordshire", Ruataupare shrugged.
"Absolutely-fucking-not!", Agnes half stood, "The people of Gossfordshire would riot".
"Agreed. Beyond that, they're their own people. They're good people-", Thatcher started but was cut off by a derisive laugh from Ruataupare.
"They are", Thatcher insisted. 
"Go on", Agnes encouraged.
"Asper is someone to be trusted. Down there, they had weapons that would blow this country off the map, and she trusted me enough to leave them behind. If they wanted this place, they could've killed me and taken it, but they're not like that... They deserve a country of their own, a place that's theirs. They deserve that".
The three women exchanged glances.
"I think that's bullshit, but if going along with it means going to Waikato - I'm in", Ruataupare put forth.
"Right", Agnes nodded in agreement, "so we're off to Waikato to ask for land; what if they want something in return? We're low on resources to trade - and that was before we had an extra billion mouths to feed". 
"Well that's the advantage, isn't it. 1200 extra hands on deck". 
"Thatcher - it's 1200 extra mouths to feed, and water", Agnes insisted.
"I've just cleared Cold Country, that's land that can now be farmed and harvested".
"A process that could take months at best, and years at worst", Agnes urged. 
"That's assuming that the Settled don't hone in on Eldores men", Ruataupare chimed in with an air of concern.
"I thought you two would be a bit more fucking appreciative!", Thatcher snapped, standing. 
"What are you doing? We need to talk this out!", Agnes urged her desperately. 
"I'm going to bed, wake me when you two have done half as much as I have!", Thatcher sauntered from the room. 
Slamming the door behind her, Agnes and Ruataupare were alone. The sounds of an ever busying house grew louder by the minute.
"So; you're obviously still bitter with her", Agnes pointed out. 
"That's one way of phrasing it".
"Well...?".
"I vehemently disagree with everything she's done for the last two years", Ruataupare noted. 
"It's not your country, dear", Agnes simpered. 
"No, it's not, but my men did die saving this place during the Battle for Gossfordshire, and she sold them out by allowing Ritty his freedom", Ruataupare frowned. 
"You've not seen the consequences of that decision, hon. What she did saved more lives than either of us could begin to comprehend". 
"Maybe so", Ruataupare replied defensively, "but do you not think that maybe dying with honor is significantly better than living in shame?".
"Do you think it's shameful to save lives?". 
"I think it's shameful to lead a foreign army to fight your battles under false pretenses", Ruataupare crossed her arms over her cloak.
"We can debate this for hours, but what's done is done, it's time to make decisions for today".
Ruataupare sighed, "fine".
"So, you collect Rena and Magnus; we're going to need cartographers and Magnus works best when Rena is there to comfort her. I'll bring Thatcher back to life, and make sure Wolesley and Grayson are prepared to look over the project down at the village".
Ruataupare held her breath for a second, before exhaling with a nod. 

Harreina sat on the edge of her bed, Sirene entered the room of the log cabin.
"How're you feeling, Ma'am?", she asked Harreina, stopping short in front of her.
"Still can't see", Harreina swallowed angrily. 
"What can I do for you?", Sirene offered.
"I need to outline something for you, and then I need you to ensure every single detail is followed - to the letter, Sirene", Harreina ended with an air of warning. 
"Absolutely, Madam President", Sirene pulled a dining chair from the end of the room, taking her seat in front of Harreina, she crossed her arms and gave her entire attention span.
"I've asked Dr. Shultz to overview an election, one I hope will take place before I pass, however, this cannot be guaranteed. I am greatly aware that both you, and Toff, will want to throw your hats into the ring. However, with that in mind, it's important that the pair of you ensure a fair, democratic, election, and in doing so, you must make way for others to participate. To that end, it's up to you, Sirene, to ensure that all the villages of Rebury have the chance to submit candidates if that's what they choose to do", Harreina finished.
"How soon do you want this to take place?", Sirene asked sincerely.
"My condition is worsening by the hour, I want this done before I die".
"A week? Two weeks? A month?", Sirene fished.
Harreina sighed - "for now", she rubbed her temples frustratedly, "let's just begin the process. I'm still discussing my situation with Dr. Shultz".
"All right, I'll start heading out to the villages and rounding up candidates", Sirene stood. 
"Sirene", Harreina blindly reached out to grasp Sirenes' arm, "any candidate needs to be willing to uphold the FPA".
"What if they won't?", Sirene asked gravely.
"Then I've entrusted Eldore Greene to resume the old war, to reclaim Rebury as Zedeylian land, and to ensure the FPA is upheld anyway", Harreina put bluntly.
Sirene wrenched her arm from Harreinas grasp - "that's treason, Harreina".
"What're you going to do? Kill me? I've got fucking cancer, Sirene".
"Jesus!", Sirene scoffed.
"I'm not going to sell our allies down the fucking river", Harreina growled. 
"So you'll sell our independence down the river instead?".
"Feel as you must", Harreina crossed her arm, "but you cannot deny that our standard of living has increased exponentially within the framework of the Four Pillars Agreement".
Sirene chewed the inside of her cheek - she knew Harreina was correct. 
"I'm going, but I implore you to consider what it is you've done", Sirene crossed the room and hung onto the doorframe. 
"I have, and if it means keeping this way of life; I'd do pretty much anything".
With that, Sirene left, Harreina was once again alone.

Thatcher pulled her eyes open, the smell of turkey wafting up the staircase and into her room from the dining hall below tempted her.
Slowly she dragged herself out of bed and wandered down the staircase to the dining hall on the ground floor. 
Searching the busy hall, she found Agnes at the end of the room, sitting alone eating a plate of overcooked cabbage.
"Feeling better?", Agnes looked up and asked. 
"Hardly", Thatcher replied, sitting and plucking a loose potato from Agnes's plate, "where's 'uataupare?", she asked through a mouthful. 
"Motueka. She left not long after you went to bed", Agnes said as Thatcher nodded.
Thatcher finished chewing and swallowed, "and?".
"And she's collecting Magnus and Rena to go north with you, they're going to help map the area", Agnes explained. 
"How's the village going?", Thatcher asked, peering around the hall.
"Grayson dropped by earlier to let me know that they'd begun clearing out the foliage from the first half dozen streets", Agnes informed her.
"Have we dispatched a letter to Harreina and Lobard yet?".
"I wrote one for Ruatuapare to send from Motueka", Agnes gave a sad smile. 
"Good. I'm sorry I couldn't do it", Thatcher looked to her feet. 
"Don't be, love, I know how tired you are", Agnes placed a warm hand on Thatchers' shoulder. 
Thatcher looked to Agnes, her face wearing a look of exhaustion - "I've spent the last two years waiting for her to speak to me, and now that she is, it's horrible".
"She feels betrayed, love".
"I did what I did-". 
"I know why you did it. I agree with you for doing it. But I understand why she's hurt".
"Agnes, I miss it. The time we spent together in Motueka and it's like - I'll never get that back".
"You need to look up, and forward, toward the future, Thatcher", Agnes finished and bit her lip.
"What if this is all it is?", Thatcher asked hollowly. 
"You aren't stupid, Thatcher. You know better than all of us how much you've achieved these last few days. You need to hold on to that and realize how much more you can do".
"Yeah", Thatcher finished, standing, shrugging Agnes's hand from her shoulder as she did so. 
"Where're you going?", Agnes asked. 
"Down to the village to help out", Thatcher made to turn, but Agnes clasped her arm and stopped her. 
"You've done enough, let the others take care of it", Agnes pleaded.
"I need to, otherwise I'll go crazy", Thatcher shrugged. 

Thatcher swung herself off her horse upon the beach at the Refugee Village.
A meager dot hung over the; the moon tucked away behind the blackened atmosphere.
"Asper", Thatcher spotted her pale figure hovering near a decrepit house.
Thatcher hobbled over, her body still aching, her mind exhausted.
"How you doin'?", Asper met her halfway.
"Fine- tired", Thatcher half-smiled.
"Yeah, same, to be honest", Asper peered around at the people working hard around her.
Thatcher stood still, taking a moment to drink in Aspers' physique. For a moment, a small weight dropped onto her shoulders, she felt a sadness looking over Asper.
For the first time since they met, Thatcher saw Asper without a creeping feeling of hope.
Now, that feeling was a bitter sadness. Perhaps it was the home falling apart in the back, behind Asper. Perhaps it was the bushes behind; indicating quite how far they still had to go.
"You okay?", Asper asked after a beat of silence.
Saying nothing, Thatcher pulled Asper into a tight embrace.
Asper wasn't sure how to respond, clumsily, she laid her arm in the nook of Thatchers back.
They separated, giving Thatcher a brief reprieve. Slowly, Thatcher led Asper to the home that sat crumbling upon the end of a recently cleared lawn.
"So, this is the home Ikime and I plan on inhabiting", Asper pointed as they stopped short of the abode.
The windows had long been smashed out, the roof was sodden; falling from the beams.
The white interior walls had gone green with mold; the carpet rotten.
"How much work do you plan on doing before moving in?", Thatcher asked observing the wreckage.
"Your pal Grayson took me through to do a structural analysis, it's safe; most of the homes are. The question is how long you think we're gonna be here?", Asper stopped, Thatcher hadn't noticed and bumped right into her.
After a physical apology, Asper turned to face Thatcher, who said - "a group of us are leaving for Waikato tomorrow, if the plans can be set in stone that early?".
"Waikato?", Asper responded in a way that showed the word was foreign to her.
"It's a couple of hours ride from here", Thatcher gestured to her horse on the edge of the beach.
"If I'm correct; you're going north to secure land for us?", Asper asked, continuing to walk through properties holding recently cleared houses.
"Yeah, with the goal of combining it with some of our land in that direction", Thatcher took a mental note of the work that'd been done.
"Have you decided on a name for this as-yet-to-be established country?", Asper wanted to give a nervous chuckle but suppressed it. Though Thatchers' feelings of optimism had been replaced with an unexplained feeling of dread; Asper was still hopeful, looking toward a future where they had a three-country buffer between them and the Settled folk.
"To be honest, I'm not even thinking of that, right now, at least. We've still gotta make it there and convince them that, somehow, we're going to be able to pay them back".
Thatcher finished but detected she hadn't given Asper the answer she was looking for - "why? Have you?", she tacked on.
"Yeah; I have, to be honest", Asper shrugged.
"Okay", Thatcher slowly felt her chest lighten, seeing Asper coming up with ideas, she gestured for Asper to spill the details. 
"Well, I've been awake all night; working, obviously. But having that time to think has allowed me to consider what I want things to look like. I considered a name like Rebury, or Zedeylia, or even Gossfordshire. I tried thinking of words that meant something. In the end - Jorania - it was the only one that clicked for me", Asper threw out there, putting her heart on her sleeve.
"Jorania?", Thatcher repeated.
"Jorania", Asper smiled. 

*

Sixteen hours later, Thatcher was sitting in her office, behind her desk.
Magnus, Ruataupare, Rena, and Agnes sat across from her.
Though it was two o'clock in the afternoon, the office was dark, lest for the four torches lining the walls.
Pimlys' loud purring filled the breaks in the conversation being had.
"The river goes upstream", Magnus argued to Agnes, "it's significantly slower".
"Agreed", Agnes nodded but rebutted, "however, there's less debris, less chance of running into Crown Loyalists, and lastly, it means avoiding the main roads around the Waikatoan border".
"It's also going to add literal days to the trip!", Magnus scowled. 
"I agree with Agnes", Ruataupare spoke.
"It's going to fuck us, timewise", Magnus puffed back.
"Thatcher?", Rena asked.
"I say boat", Thatcher placed her index fingers into a steeple formation and laid her bottom lips upon her fingertips. 
"I agree with Magnus, but it's three-two, so boat it is", Rena nodded.
"So we arrive, by boat", Magnus frowned, "then what? We sneak in under the fencelines?".
"Yes, scope it out, make sure you're not walking into a death trap", Agnes chimed in.
"This is stupid", Magnus shook her head, "I thought you wanted me to map, how am I supposed to do that from a boat?".
"Do it coming back - you're there to map the inside of the country", Thatcher tossed back.
"Fine", Magnus crossed her arms. 
"We scope it out, then what?", Ruataupare asked Thatcher directly. 
"We need to find someone quiet, vulnerable, prove we aren't a threat", Thatcher suggested.
"Do we take food - a gift?", Rena asked. 
"We are stretched thin - not just Gossfordshire, but Motueka, too. Rebury is barely holding on and Zedeylia is preparing to move south for us so they're not ina position to help", Agnes responded.
"Leave that for now, we can offer something when we arrive", Thatcher shrugged.
"This sounds like a shit plan, but I guess we're running out of options", Magnus gestured.
"Go get the canoes ready; we'll go tomorrow. With the boats, it could take upward of twenty-four hours to arrive, possibly slightly more if we stop to rest", Thatcher looked at Agnes and Ruataupare.
As they stood, Rena watched, sensing that Thatcher would like a moment alone with Magnus. 
Pimly leaped onto Magnus's lap as Agnes lead Ruataupare from the room.
"I'll go with them", Rena said awkwardly to Magnus, before following Agnes and Ruataupare from the office. 
For a split moment the office was silent, bar for the cat purring, kneading a spot on Magnus's legs. He curled up, leading Magnus to scratch behind his ears. 
"I'm glad you came up", Thatcher spoke quietly. 
"I wasn't sure I was going to", Magnus smiled, "but, the call to adventure, y'know?".
"You always did like an adventure", Thatcher cracked a grin.
"Nothing like it".
"I love you, Magnus", Thatcher spoke warmly, "you really have been a beacon, for me".
Magnus said nothing, her face went bright red. Thatcher sensed that Magnus was a slight bit embarrassed, and so pulled back on the compliments. 
"Have you got something for me?", Thatcher asked vaguely. 
Magnus exhaled slightly. She pulled a wrinkled piece of parchment from the pocket inside her robe, leaned over, and passed it to Thatcher. 
Slowly, Thatcher unfurled it, she began reading.
After a minute and a half, Thatcher placed the parchment on her dark oak desk and gave Magnus her full attention.
"Ruataupare said she's not such a fan", Magnus chuckled nervously, waiting for Thatchers' input. 
"I can see why", Thatcher replied honestly, "concentrating the buying power with the top members of society isn't quite as... pleasant...as I'd hoped for".
"I've had a thought about that. I haven't gotten around to writing it down, yet".
"Explain".
"I mean; the main worry is that the government will run rampant and misspend, another Randall situation, for lack of a better word. Someone who isn't representative of the people. The idea is that each small down elects a representative each year to take part in a Financial Committee. This Financial Committee will handle purchasing imported goods, selling exported goods, and distributing those goods both internally and externally", Magnus explained.
"What if they make deals that those in government are unhappy with?", Thatcher asked, leaning in slightly. 
"Perhaps the government would have an opposition committee, again, elected every year, that would serve to oppose any bad judgments. Maybe they govern together. This 'shadow committee' would be elected by the government", Magnus finished.
"I like the idea of a shadow committee, not going to lie about that. Slight hitch; now that Ritty's gone, we need to restructure what 'Government' actually means".
"Forgoing the fact that you now want me to add restructuring the government of Gossfordshire into this mess, what the fuck do you mean Ritty's gone?".

While Thatcher caught Magnus up on Rittys letter, Dr. Shultz was reading Harreina a letter of her own. 
"President Driscoll, I regret to inform you that in the wake of the recent mission to clear land to the south of Rebury and Zedeylia, Toff Baumann was murdered. This most regrettable incident has been tough on the administration in Gossfordshire and Motueka - and we know there is nothing that could be said to ease this tremendous loss. 
During this same incident, Mr. Lobard Hibbert was also killed. This is a great loss to our Four Nations, countries whose shared values and aspirations Mr. Hibbert and Mr. Baumann fought to protect, enshrine, and advance. These two men have not died in vain.
Madam Thatcher of Gossfordshire was successful in extracting the refugees of Cold Country. For the next few days, Madam Thatcher, Madam Ruataupare, Ms. Magnus of Motueka, and Ms. Rena of Motueka will be embarking on a mission to Waikato to attempt to secure land for the refugees to call home. To achieve this will mean twelve hundred new people working land that was otherwise unutilized. We must hold strong in the belief that these dark days will lift, that this will not be our annus horribilus. 
Yours faithfully and for always, Agnes of Gossfordshire. 
Ps. King Ritty appears to have abdicated the throne. No plans as yet. Will keep updated.
Pss. A copy of this letter with adequate changes has been sent to President Eldore Greene.", he coughed as he finished reading. 
Harreina drank it all in - "Sirene isn't going to handle this well".
"About Toff?".
"Yeah", Harreina nodded.
"I thought Toff had a boyfriend?", Dr. Shultz asked, carefully treading the line between genuine intrigue and gossip, "Did she have feelings for him?". 
"Ex", she corrected, "but she's taken my plans with Eldore to heart - this'll be another nail in the coffin as far as her opinions regarding the FPA are concerned - and having a boyfriend? When did that get in the way of Toff finding someone to shag?".
Dr. Shultz didn't quite have anything to add.
"So Eldore would know, then?", Harreina changed the topic. 
"We received this", he waved the letter, before awkwardly remembering Harreina was blind, "this morning, so I'd assume it was delivered last night, if that's the case, then, yeah".
"I wonder if he's alright", Harreina mused. 
"He's a tough man, ma'am", Dr. Shultz tried to reassure her.
"Still...", Harreina trailed off mystically.
"I'll be back tonight for a check-up, stay alert", Dr. Shultz stood, speaking to an absent Harreina.

However Harreina expected Eldore to react, she wasn't going to get it. 
Eldore sat in his office, the lighting low, the mood somber. Re-reading the letter over and over, he sighed, puffing a cigar that burned close to his mustache.
Stubbing it out in a small glass ashtray, Eldore took a breath. Reaching into a drawer, he pulled out a bottle of Gossfordshires finest whiskey. Cracking open the bottle, Eldore took a swig.
"Still up?", asked a voice from the door.
Eldore nodded meekly.
"Truth is, I stopped caring when day or night was long ago", Eldore grumbled, "come in, Eion".
Eion stepped over the threshold and took a seat opposite Eldore. 
Eldore poured Eion a small glass of whiskey.
"You alright, Sir?", Eion asked meekly, taking a sip from the glass.
"Things are changing, Eion", Eldore confessed.
"Are you not glad?", Eion asked in return.
"Glad... Weary", Eldore shuffled. 
"I got word back today, three new farms have been set up for cattle grazing, about fifty kilometers from the southern Zedeylian border", Eion announced.
"Good, Eion, I'm pleased", Eldore tried giving a weak smile. 
"We should see improvements in crop yields once those three are away, running".
"Have we heard anything about the people living down there?", Eldore asked over his bottle.
"The Settled?", Eion double-checked. 
"Mmm", Eldore gave a half nod. 
"No, Sir, no sign of them", Eion replied grimly.
"Lastly, I need a new second, so I'll need some recommendations as soon as you can manage them. 
"Right you are, Sir".
"Eion?", Eldore asked.
"Yes?".
"What do you think about Harreina Driscoll?".
"For you? Or in general?".
"Either", Eldore waved airily.
"I'm glad for you, Sir, even if generations of propaganda have informed my negative view on her", Eion put back plainly.
"That's very reasonable of you, Eion", Eldore took a swig.
A faded moon cast a beam of light through the cracks in the board around the window.
Slowly, the pair drank. The fire, to Eions right, crackled merrily.
"Things are changing, Eion", Eldore croaked after a moments pause.
"Sir?", Eion beckoned for explanation. 
"President Driscoll has informed me of her recent cancer diagnosis. Our borders are expanding south. Those we once considered enemies are establishing a new country in the north. Lobard Hibbert is dead", Eldore sighed heavily. The smell of booze radiated off of him.
"Things've always changed, Mr. President, you'll get through this", Eion reassured Eldore, "in fact, you are the man to lead Zedeylia through these changes".
"It's not just Zedeylia anymore, Eion. We have friends and allies to consider, too".
"And you're the man to guide those friends and allies", Eion insisted.
"Thank you, Eion, your approval is highly regarded", Eldore placed his bottle upon the desk.
"I'm going to bed now, Sir, tomorrow...", Eion trailed off, Eldore knew what Eion meant.
"Before you leave", Eldore waved Eion down, the universal gesture typically understood to mean 'wait!'.
Eldore ruffled through his desk, pulling out a letter rolled into a small cylinder, tied off with a small bow of flax.
"Take this to the post office, before bed, and have it sent to Harreina", Eldore passed the letter to Eion.
"Yes, Sir", Eion took the letter. 
"Goodnight, Eion".
"Goodnight, Sir".
Eion stood, closing the door behind him.

Riwai awoke the following morning with a feeling of overwhelming worry.
"Randall", Riwai shot across the room, a terrible rumble growing louder.
Riwai shook at Randall, willing him to wake. 
Randalls eyes snapped open.
"Can you hear that?", Riwai asked, his eyes full of fear.
"Under the bed", Randall urged.
The ground swayed once, they both knew what was coming.
In what felt like an instant, Riwai pulled Randall to the ground, covering him in the hay mattress from the bed.
Together, they lay belly-down on the floor of the where and held tight as the ground rocked back and forth. The rumble of the earthquake grew louder, the rocking more violent. 
Foliage from the thatched roof fell over them, covering them both in dust, dirt, and vegetation.
Screams could be heard from nearby houses, but neither Randall nor Riwai could give them their attention. Twenty seconds passed - and the motion still continued. After what had seemed like a consistent, rocking, motion, the earth jolted suddenly, sending Riwais heart into his stomach.
"It's stronger than the last few!", Randall gripped a fistful of dirt, his knuckles a paperwhite.
Riwai grimaced and held on - the sound of cracking from nearby tree branches sprinkled the soundscape.
After a minute, it stopped. 
"Stay here", Riwai lifted Randall off the floor, placing him in his wheelchair with a strenuous groan, "I'm going to see what's happening outside".
Randall said nothing as Riwai exited the where.

"Atua!", Riwai ran over to a muscular man, one almost twice the size of Riwai himself. 
"Riwai!", Atua greeted grimly. 
Together they walked from Riwai and Randalls whare and went west, up the road towards the western coast.
"Help!", an older gentleman exited his whare and spoke in Maori. 
Atua and Riwai followed the man into his home and found an older woman with an obvious head injury.
Trapped from the waist down by an overturned desk, Atua lifted as Riwai dragged her body from the weighty writing desk. Riwai hovered over her, listening to her chest.
"Rattling", Riwai spoke up to Atua, who had corrected the desk.
It took a moment, but it was clear that the woman was not coming back.
Riwai bent down and cradled her head, examining the wound. 
"She's dead, Atua", Riwai spoke quietly.
Atua climbed over Riwai and the woman. Gently, Atua guided the old man from the whare.
Riwai sighed, disappointed at what'd just unfurled, but knowing it was always going to go that way - no matter what he chose to do.

The Refugee Village in Gossfordshire fared no better.
Thatcher, who'd spent the night in the village, working, was strutting up to Wolesley down the eastern end of the beach.
"Wolesley! How's it looking?", she called out to him over the waves.
"No dead, a few minor injuries but nothing colossal", Wolesley admitted.
"Alright, I need you to assign someone to stay and watch the camp - someone Asper gets on with - then I need you and Grayson to take some men out and scout the villages. I'm going back to the Second House, with Asper, to converse with the others to make sure everything moves ahead", Thatcher delegated. 
"You're leaving? After this?", Wolesley gave off an air of inconvenience.
"I'm not delaying things just because the ground couldn't stay still - it's been swaying for months, this is nothing new, Wolesley", Thatcher furrowed her brow and began to walk away.
Instead of staying put, Wolesley followed Thatcher. 
"Does that not say anything to you?", Wolesley chased after her and asked. 
"Yeah, it says that the ground is swaying - it happens. How do you think the space between Gossfordshire and Motueka got so small that it could be traversed in under five hours?", Thatcher tossed over her shoulder annoyedly. 
"Or it says the spaces between tremors are getting shorter", Wolesley clutched at Thatchers' shoulder and pulled her to a stop. 
"I'm going to ask that you do not touch me like that again", Thatcher growled.
Wolesley waved her off - "Thatcher, this is not a joke".
"Am I laughing?", Thatchers' eyes widened. 
"You need to stay here", Wolesley warned her. 
"Wolesley, you've seen me working the last two years, correct?".
"Correct", Wolesley confirmed with a furrowed brow. 
"You've become quite close to me, am I wrong?", Thatcher stepped forward, imposing herself in Wolesleys' personal space.
"You're not wrong", Wolesley shrank slightly.
"So, am I correct in assuming, that as has been the case in the past, you are more than capable of running things with help from Grayson and Agnes - should anything go wrong whilst I'm out of the country?", Thatcher asked once more. 
"You're correct in making that assumption", Wolesley nodded slightly. His weathered face surveying her with a degree of intensity.
Thatcher bit her bottom lip, thinking, "since Drew, you've been my implied Second-In-Command. I don't want it to be implied anymore. You are my Second-In-Command, and Grayson is yours", Thatcher spoke clearly, with precision. 
"Thank you, for making that clear", Wolesley nodded solemnly, 
"Thank you, Wolesley, you're a tremendous asset", Thatcher left him standing, workers hustling their way through the village around him.

*

Asper, Ruataupare, Agnes, Magnus, Rena, and Thatcher sat in Thatchers' cramped office. Thatcher had eschewed the desk in favor of sitting in a small circle, Agnes to her left, Asper to her right. This, she felt, leveled the playing field; being positioned behind her desk seemed to make her feel more powerful and, in this case, she felt that would be counterproductive.
"Good morning", Thatcher began. She peered about, trying to read the vibe the group was emitting.
"You'll notice today I've brought someone new", Thatcher continued, "Asper. Asper is here because what decisions we make today will impact her, as well, to start, let's acquaint".
Eyes drilled into Asper from all directions.
"I'm Magnus", Magnus greeted to Aspers right. Magnus held out her hand, though it was obvious she was displeased.
Rena followed, then Ruataupare, until finally Agnes. Ruataupare, Thatcher noticed, made no offer of an outstretched hand, instead, she opted to go for the cool, curt, head nod.
"Right", Thatcher spoke as soon as Asper and Agnes' hands departed, "as you're all aware, this morning there was an earthquake. It's been brought to my attention that it seems as though these earthquakes are happening with decreasing intervals", Thatcher looked around as she spoke. 
"Says who?", Rena asked curiously. 
"Wolesley", Thatcher lazy threw her eyes in Renas' direction.
"He's not wrong. I've been taking notes and that is absolutely correct", Magnus replied.
Thatcher nodded, absorbing the fact check - "there are surveys being currently undertaken in the villages, however, if the damage taken is anything like the Refugee Village; things should be okay".
"I mean... things weren't exactly still - were they?", Agnes asked.
"They weren't violent either", Thatcher frowned.
"Thatcher - I've just spent the last thirty minutes picking up books from the bookshelf", Agnes nodded to the bookshelf behind Thatchers' oak desk.
"It was an earthquake - what'd you expect?", Thatcher shook her head mildly.
"Look", Rena spoke, "Thatcher's got a point. The earthquake was fairly calm, any major damage that could've been done - has been done. The wells are cracked and are empty, any large building that could be damaged, was damaged in the summer. This leads me to ask; what are we risking?".
"So this is still pressing forward, then?", Agnes asked the room.
"I say yes", Thatcher chimed in, "Ruataupare?", Thatcher asked. 
"Yeah".
Rena agreed, Magnus and Agnes, too.
"Asper, how confident are you when it comes to keeping your people in line in the event of another earthquake?", Thatcher turned and asked. 
"We'll be fine", Asper replied quietly, worried that raising her voice would be seen as a sign of aggression. 
"Great", Thatcher clapped her hands lightly, "lastly, I want to ratify a change in my ranks".
"Oh?", Agnes croaked. 
"I wish to confirm Wolesley as my Second In Command", Thatcher spoke directly to Agnes. 
"Alright", Agnes nodded, the hurt deep in her voice.
Thatcher knew what she'd done, but now wasn't the time to think of that.
"Where're the canoes?", Thatcher asked Agnes.
"Out on the Huttson river", Agnes swallowed.
"Thank you", Thatcher finished and turned back to face the group, "anything else".
"Yeah", Asper chipped, "my people need food, and water".
"I'll get Wolesley to deliver some water tonight", Agnes spoke to Asper, "and a small amount of food to get you through the next few days. It won't be much, but it'll be enough to sustain you all".
"I appreciate it", Asper returned.
"Alright, so as things stand, we're leaving tomorrow morning?", Thatcher asked, to murmurs of agreement. "Excellent, sleep tight, ladies", she spoke to Magnus, Ruatuapare, and Rena, "it's going to be a long 48 hours".

Agnes awoke in the middle of the night, in her bedroom on the ground floor of the Second House, close to the dining hall. 
At first, she thought it was a bad dream that had awoken her, but the second boom in the distance caught her attention. 
Pimly stood at the end of the bed, the fur on his back spiked toward the sky. 
Agnes tossed the covers off her legs and ambled out the room, her thin robe swinging around her ankles.

With tremendous difficulty, Agnes climbed the staircase to the roof of the Second House, a paranoid drive filling her ascent. 
The wind whipped her white hair around her face as she tried to listen with all her might. 
Two or three more booms crackled the air. Was it an incoming earthquake? 
She scowled as she tried to find the source, but the wind kept throwing her off. Was it in front? Behind? What was the cause?
Determining it was nothing, Agnes descended back down the stairs. 

The next morning, Asper was awoken by Grayson shaking her awake. It was still dark, as it always was in the north, Asper noted internally. She'd slept in the home for the first time, the smell of damp carpet somewhat more bearable than the night prior. 
"Jesus!", she leaped from her bed.
"Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you", Grayson waved her down, trying to ease her back into place.
"What's up?", she groaned as she slid out of bed. 
"I've brought some food for you to unload", Grayson pointed out the window onto the grassy lawn outside.
With a grimace, Asper yawned and followed Grayson from the house.
"Where do you want it?", Grayson asked. The trailer was full, holding eight ceramic jugs with water, a half dozen loaves of bread, and assorted fruits and vegetables.
"Next to the bed", Asper grabbed a few jugs and took them inside.
"With the food you brought with you", Grayson followed her, "this will last you a couple of weeks if you eat slowly". The pair walked down the hallway and entered the second door on the right
"Thanks", Asper placed the jugs next to the bed and turned to Grayson. 
"No worries", he led her out the room and onto the lawn.
Together they noticed the lines in the sky above the Citadel.
"You see that?", Grayson pointed into the sky. Even under the black blanket covering the sky, the stacks were clear. 
"Yeah...", Asper squinted, a feeling of dread overtaking her gratefulness.
"They look like smokestacks", Grayson mused.
Asper closed her eyes and tilted her face towards the sky above her, she knew it was nothing good.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

The Toils (Book One) By Elk

Historical Fiction

60 17 17
In the future, there is no medicine that can save you. The government is gone. The days are hot, and the dangers many. Welcome to the continent of...
521K 19.2K 59
BEFORE YOU READ- DISCLAIMER! The main character is blunt, hates life and is very vulgar and hateful towards everyone and everything . However there...
34K 721 41
They say all good boys go to heaven, but bad boys bring heaven to you. And that's what he brought me, Heaven. We were terribly perfect for each othe...
220 2 3
•Zombie Sci-Fi, Erotica, And Romance• The world is nearly gone and ripped to shreds all thanks to the government. What the hell did they do? I really...