Chasing Rainbows

By weiss719

Her eye-smile that hid all the tears. His dimples that kept all the pain. Made them spend their lives chasing... More

1. Expecting
2. Her Life
3. His Life
5. Charity Dinner
6. The Talk
7. Best Friends
8. Sandpearl
9. Water lovers
10. Maybe the Night
11. Morning
12. Waiting
13. Home
14. The Question
15. Secret Surprise
16. Whirlwind
17. Last Love

4. Chicken and Beer

2K 101 18
By weiss719

That night, Yejin was watching TV when she heard a knock on her door. It was Yumi, bringing her favorite chicken and some beer.

"I knew you'd like some." She said, handling over the bags to her.

"You really knew me, huh?" She smiled at her friend's sweetness. 

"Wouldn't Matt look for you?" She said, worried about Yumi's boyfriend. 

Yumi comfrotably sat at her sofa as she took some plates for them. 

"You needed me tonight Yej. My ears are ready." Yumi said, grabbing a piece of the chicken she brought.

"You've been listening to me for so long...you might be tired with all these issues I have?"  She looked at her while handling the plate to her and taking the seat beside her. 

"I understand Yej, just talk, tell me how you feel."

"Nothing." She bowed down, looking at the plate she's holding.  She put it down and opened a can of beer. 

"Hmm?" Yumi said, in between munches.

"I'm so tired Yumi..." She said as she drank from her can. 

"I know, I saw what you went through before Yej...how you tried to reach out to him again, after your father died...how you almost quitted here and almost risked to lose everything here to go back to Seoul for him.."  Yumi said, looking at her with compassion. She learned about her story and Bin when she confided to her about it just after her father died. She had been her confidante since then.

Yejin sadly smiled. She remembered it all. 

Five years ago, she came to the US, hoping that they could work it out, that's why she agreed when he asked if they could try. She loved him, she was sure about it. But while being in the US for only four months, their relationship was tested. 

Though she had challenges with her schedule, she hit the bottom when her dad was diagnosed with lung cancer. Attending to her dad and her studies simply wore her out. And Bin had been very busy as well...

She loved him, yes, but the pressure and anxiety caused by the thought of losing his father and the challenges in her studies took its toll on her, that she felt her relationship with Bin also took the blow. That's why she sent that email to him, ending what they had. She cut off all her ties in Seoul, even with Hali and Choi, because she was afraid to face the consequences of what she did. At that time, she thought it was the best for all of them. With that, she spent her days juggling her time between her studies and her dad. 

After one and a half years, her dad succumbed to his disease. Though she had prepared for it, the pain was still unbearable, especially because she was not only grieving because of her dad, but also because of Bin. She tried to not focus on their break-up, only to face the consequences of her decision at that time. At that point, she realized how foolish her decision had been...Her love for him didn't die, and she took the courage to connect with him again...and so she dialed his number in Seoul, hoping it was still his same number..

---

"Hello?"

She heard an old woman's voice.

"Hello, may I speak with Bin, please?"

"Who's this?" The woman answered.

"It's Yejin."

She heard the woman's voice crack.

"Son Yejin?"

"Yes mam."

"This is his mother. He's not in a good condition to talk right now." She looked at his son, too drank that he fell asleep in his dining table.

"Omo! What happened to him, mam?" She asked with an extremely worried tone.

"You're asking me what happened to him? Shouldn't you know it? You're the reason why he's like this right now. Son Yejin, would you just let him be? Haven't you done enough to hurt him? I am begging you to just please stay away from him. As a mother, I am asking you this." Her voice cracked once more and Yejin could hear she was crying.

Stunned and hurt by what she heard, tears just continued to flow from her eyes and before she can even say a word, Bin's mom dropped the call.

---

After that call, she decided to open up to Yumi. She told her she wanted to leave and go back to Seoul, for him. But Yumi told her to think about it first. She's midway her residency, and her dad, who just passed away, wouldn't be happy if she left just like that.

As she was pondering about what she said, she remembered her mother as well.

What about her eomma's dream for her? She's been striving to pursue that dream since she was a child, and it was her promise to her that she would become a doctor. 

...what about Bin's mother's request? If she got back to Seoul, will she be happy being with him knowing that his mother had something against her?

...And what about Bin? Would he, in the first place, take her back? Or was his mother right, that she coming back to his life, would just make him suffer more, after realizing how much she herself was capable of hurting him?

It was a pool of complicated thoughts, and this stance of her dragged on until just after she graduated. When she started to do her practice, the new environment and season somehow alleviated her longing for him. And that was just barely last year. And now this. He's back. 

That's why Yumi was so worried.

"What would you do now, Yej?"  Yumi's question interrupted her thoughts.

"What?" She returned the question. She saw Ha-na pregnant, and he was with her. It must be his, judging from their interaction at her clinic.

"Would you talk to him? You know how to find him now."  Yumi continued to ask. 

Of course, she had Ha-na's contact details, she thought to herself. 

"He's going to be a father, Yumi. He's with Ha-na, her childhood friend." She answered with a heavy sigh.

"Oh..." And with that Yumi ate the fried chicken in her hands and drank her beer.

-----

That same night, Bin was video calling Hali and Choi, who were now happily married, back in Seoul. Drinking the beer in his hands, he continued to listen to what Hali was saying, who at that time, sounded like a mother to him.

"So she's Ha-na's ob-gyn? That meant she would continue to see her, right? What about you change her ob-gyn? Or just don't come with her when she had her check-ups? Bin, we witnessed what you went through, how you barely managed after she's gone. And you just had gathered your life back, you're just starting, Bin! Don't let it slip! You're fine now, okay?"

Though she was Yejin's best friend, she was also hurt by her action of just cutting her off her life, just as she did to Bin.

"Bro, Hali's right, it's just a coincidence that you met her there again. Pull yourself together, okay?"

"Okay, okay. Hey, don't worry much about me. I'm fine. Thank you anyway for having my back."

He appreciated the two of them. Just being able to talk to them about it somehow lifted a little of the heaviness he'd been feeling the whole day.

I'm fine now.

With that, his phone rang. His secretary.

"Sir, I would just like to remind you about the charity dinner you were invited to by Dr. Youn of the Korean Community, it will be tomorrow night at 7 PM, Seoul Garden Restaurant. Should I confirm your attendance?"

He met Dr. Youn, the director of Houston's Korean Community in Galveston last weekend and he invited him to the charity dinner they will be hosting that week. He completely forgot about it.

"Yes, sure, please confirm my attendance. Thanks." With that he drank the remaining beer and proceeded to his room, hoping he'll be able to get himself to sleep. 

=====================================================

A/N: Hello dear readers! Thank you for your continued support. I hope your heart can still take it, we're now navigating the realities of what it meant to fall in love - the heartaches and pain that could come with it. I hope you'll stay glued until the end! Kamsahamnida! ❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.9K 268 93
Complete:) At some point I will be fixing the hole book but not right now 🧍🏻‍♀️ (this book makes no sense, well to me it doesn't I don't know about...
39.9K 3.3K 14
A fire accident brings two frenemies together. The real problem? One becomes blind, and the other scarred face.💜❣ Main ship. Jinkook💘 Started: 11t...
94.4K 4.5K 36
A binjic fanfic... Revenge or love? Which will win? A marriage that initially had a hidden intention. An old revenge that became toxic in the marriag...
17.4K 1K 38
COMPLETED -choosing the cheaterㅣstray kids- _____________ It had never been Hyunjin's intention to sleep with a stranger at a party. He had to admit...