THE LAST LETTER

By rashwrites_

♡ Editor's Pick 2020 ♡ When Rachel, who had loved her best friend Lucas since she was a little girl, found o... More

Aᴜᴛʜᴏʀ's Nᴏᴛᴇ
Tʜᴇ Lᴀsᴛ Lᴇᴛᴛᴇʀ
Pʟᴀʏʟɪsᴛ
Pʀᴏʟᴏɢᴜᴇ
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 1 // 𝐿𝑜𝑣𝑒 𝑎𝑡 𝑓𝑖𝑟𝑠𝑡 𝑠𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 2 // 𝑂𝑢𝑟 𝑚𝑒𝑒𝑡-𝑐𝑢𝑡𝑒
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 3 // 𝐿𝑜𝑠𝑠 & 𝑎 𝑃𝑟𝑜𝑚𝑖𝑠𝑒 𝑜𝑓 𝐹𝑜𝑟𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑟
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 4 // 𝐺𝑟𝑜𝑤𝑖𝑛𝑔-𝑢𝑝 & 𝑔𝑟𝑜𝑤𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑙𝑜𝑣𝑒
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 5 // 𝐶𝑎𝑙𝑚𝑛𝑒𝑠𝑠 𝑖𝑛 𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑜𝑠
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 6 // 𝐴𝑖𝑛'𝑡 𝑖𝑡 𝑓𝑢𝑛𝑛𝑦? 𝑅𝑢𝑚𝑜𝑟𝑠 𝑓𝑙𝑦
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 7 // 𝐿𝑜𝑣𝑒 & 𝐿𝑢𝑠𝑡
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 8 // 𝐴𝑟𝑔𝑢𝑚𝑒𝑛𝑡 & 𝑀𝑎𝑘𝑖𝑛𝑔-𝑢𝑝
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 9 // 𝐶𝑎𝑛'𝑡 𝑠𝑡𝑎𝑦 𝑎𝑤𝑎𝑦
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 10 // 𝐻𝑒𝑎𝑟𝑡𝑏𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑘 𝑖𝑠 𝑎 𝑏𝑖𝑡𝑐ℎ
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 11 // 𝑀𝑜𝑣𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑜𝑛
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 12 // 𝐼 𝑐ℎ𝑜𝑜𝑠𝑒 ℎ𝑖𝑚
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 13 // 𝐴𝑝𝑜𝑙𝑜𝑔𝑖𝑒𝑠 & 𝐶𝑜𝑛𝑓𝑒𝑠𝑠𝑖𝑜𝑛
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 14 // 𝑊𝑒'𝑟𝑒 𝑖𝑛 𝑙𝑜𝑣𝑒
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 15 // 𝐶𝑎𝑛'𝑡 𝑔𝑒𝑡 𝑒𝑛𝑜𝑢𝑔ℎ
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 16 // 𝑇𝑜𝑙𝑑 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝐼'𝑙𝑙 𝑏𝑒 ℎ𝑒𝑟𝑒 𝑓𝑜𝑟𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑟
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 17 // 𝑇𝑜 𝑏𝑒 𝑦𝑜𝑢𝑛𝑔 & 𝑖𝑛 𝑙𝑜𝑣𝑒 𝑖𝑛 𝑁𝑌𝐶
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 18 // 𝐼'𝑚 𝑝𝑟𝑜𝑢𝑑 𝑜𝑓 ℎ𝑖𝑚
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 19 // 𝐹𝑜𝑟 𝑏𝑒𝑡𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑜𝑟 𝑓𝑜𝑟 𝑤𝑜𝑟𝑠𝑒
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 20 // 𝑈𝑛𝑑𝑒𝑟 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑚𝑖𝑠𝑡𝑙𝑒𝑡𝑜𝑒
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 21 // 𝐿𝑜𝑣𝑒 𝑎𝑙𝑤𝑎𝑦𝑠 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑓𝑜𝑟𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑟
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 22 // 𝑌𝑜𝑢 𝑑𝑜𝑛'𝑡 ℎ𝑎𝑣𝑒 𝑎 𝑐ℎ𝑜𝑖𝑐𝑒
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 23 // 𝐼'𝑚 𝑠𝑜𝑟𝑟𝑦 𝑓𝑜𝑟 𝑏𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑘𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑦𝑜𝑢𝑟 ℎ𝑒𝑎𝑟𝑡
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 24 // 𝑊𝑒 𝑏𝑟𝑜𝑘𝑒 𝑢𝑝
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 25 // 𝐼'𝑚 𝑛𝑜 𝑔𝑜𝑜𝑑 𝑎𝑡 𝑔𝑜𝑜𝑑𝑏𝑦𝑒𝑠
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 26 // 𝑊𝑒 𝑑𝑜𝑛'𝑡 𝑡𝑎𝑙𝑘 𝑎𝑛𝑦𝑚𝑜𝑟𝑒
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 27 // 𝐿𝑜𝑣𝑒 𝑎𝑛𝑑 ℎ𝑎𝑡𝑒 𝑎𝑟𝑒 𝑠𝑎𝑚𝑒 𝑓𝑒𝑒𝑙𝑖𝑛𝑔𝑠
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 28 // 𝑀𝑒𝑚𝑜𝑟𝑖𝑒𝑠
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 29 // 𝐼 𝑓𝑜𝑢𝑛𝑑 ℎ𝑒𝑟 𝑙𝑒𝑡𝑡𝑒𝑟𝑠
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 30 // 𝐼 𝑗𝑢𝑠𝑡 𝑑𝑖𝑒𝑑 𝑖𝑛𝑠𝑖𝑑𝑒
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 31 // 𝑊ℎ𝑜'𝑟𝑒 𝑊𝑖𝑙𝑏𝑢𝑟 & 𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑟𝑙𝑜𝑡𝑡𝑒?
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 32 // 𝐿𝑜𝑠𝑡 & 𝐹𝑜𝑢𝑛𝑑
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 33 // 𝑀𝑦 𝑓𝑖𝑟𝑠𝑡 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑙𝑎𝑠𝑡
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 34 // 𝑆𝑜 𝑐𝑙𝑜𝑠𝑒, 𝑦𝑒𝑡 𝑠𝑜 𝑓𝑎𝑟
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 36 // 𝐹𝑖𝑛𝑎𝑙𝑙𝑦 𝑤𝑒 𝑚𝑒𝑡
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 37 // 𝑁𝑜 𝑚𝑜𝑟𝑒 𝑏𝑎𝑐𝑘𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑜𝑓𝑓
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 38 // 𝑁𝑜 𝑚𝑜𝑟𝑒 𝑠𝑒𝑐𝑟𝑒𝑡𝑠
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 39 // 𝑆𝑜𝑚𝑒𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑝𝑒𝑟𝑚𝑎𝑛𝑒𝑛𝑡
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 40 // 𝐼 𝑓𝑒𝑒𝑙 𝐸𝑝𝑖𝑐
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 41 // 𝑊𝑒 ℎ𝑎𝑣𝑒 𝑎 𝑑𝑎𝑡𝑒
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 42 // 𝑌𝑜𝑢 𝑑𝑒𝑠𝑒𝑟𝑣𝑒 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑠𝑡𝑎𝑟𝑠
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 43 // 𝐼 𝑤𝑎𝑛𝑡 𝑡𝑜 𝑙𝑖𝑣𝑒
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 44 // 𝑆ℎ𝑒'𝑠 𝑔𝑜𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑡𝑜 𝑏𝑒 𝑜𝑘𝑎𝑦, 𝑟𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡?
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 45 // 𝑇𝑎𝑘𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑐𝑎𝑟𝑒 𝑜𝑓 ℎ𝑒𝑟
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 46 // 𝐼'𝑙𝑙 𝑙𝑜𝑣𝑒 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑓𝑜𝑟 𝑎 𝑡ℎ𝑜𝑢𝑠𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑚𝑜𝑟𝑒
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 47 // 𝑑𝑢𝑠𝑘 𝑡𝑖𝑙𝑙 𝑑𝑎𝑤𝑛
Eᴘɪʟᴏɢᴜᴇ
Pᴏᴇᴛʀʏ
Aᴜᴛʜᴏʀ's Nᴏᴛᴇ
Not an update...just a question!

Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 35 // 𝐴𝑢𝑟𝑜𝑟𝑎 𝑡𝑜 𝑚𝑦 𝑃ℎ𝑖𝑙𝑙𝑖𝑝

5.3K 718 119
By rashwrites_

《I don't wanna live forever, 'cause I know I'll be living in vain,
And I don't wanna fit wherever;
I just wanna keep calling your name, until you come back home.

I don't wanna live forever - Zayn Malik, Taylor Swift》

▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎

Liam was driving the car, and I was sitting anxiously, having mixed feelings about why Grace was at the hospital. After what felt like the longest twenty minutes of my life, we finally reached the hospital. All the three of us headed inside the hospital, and for a second there, I felt terrible for dragging them with me.

"Hey, Liam, why don't you take my car and go home with Jake?" I tell him, to which he replied, "No, mate, I'm not leaving you here alone. And I think you'll need me."

"Don't worry about me, and just go back. I'll call you later. Please." I tell him.

"He's right, Bro, let's wait at my place. Anyways Dad and Mom aren't going to be home tonight." Jake says, keeping a hand on Liam's shoulder.

"Fine. But you call me when you need me. Okay?" Liam looks at me, still hesitant about leaving as I assure him with a firm nod and rush inside the hospital, running to the hospital receptionist. "Can you tell me if you admitted any Rachel Grace Williamson today morning?" I ask the receptionist as my heart skips a beat or two, nervous to hear her answer. She checks through the list of patients admitted on today's date and finally answers, "Yes, she was admitted this morning."

"Can you please tell me in which room?" My voice comes out as a desperate plea and she finally tells me, "Room number three zero four." I rush through the people, taking the elevator to the floor on which she is. I reach the floor in no time as I search around frantically for her room number that's when I spot Emily and Paul sitting on the benches outside.

Probably that's where her room is, I slowly walk towards them. I was nervous, happy, excited, scared too, all the way up here but now that I was here, it just felt weird to finally see them after these two long years.

At that moment, Emily looks up and gasps, "Luke."

"Hi," I smile at her, not knowing what to say.

"What're you doing here? Is everything okay?" She asks, getting up from her seat and I answer hurriedly, "Yeah, everything is fine. I was here to see Grace."

"How did you know we were here?" She asks as I slowly make my way towards her, now standing face to face.

"Maria, your housekeeper told us," I tell her.

"Us?" Emily asks as she looks behind my back.

"Yeah, actually Jake, Grace's friend told me about your place. He just left." I tell her, nervously fumbling with my fingers. She looks at me with a surprised expression and asks, "Jake? You know him?"

"No, not me. He is a cousin of one of my friends." I explain it to her. "Is Grace okay?" I finally ask and Emily gives me a faint smile, "Yeah, she's better now."

"What-what happened?" I ask her and she answers quickly, "Rach fainted this morning. Her blood pressure dropped suddenly. She was probably under a lot of stress lately and not taking good care of herself. That's what brought her here today." without meeting my eyes.

She thinks I don't know yet.

"I know Emily," She looks up at me with wide eyes and I speak again. "I know about Rachel's disease. You don't have to hide anything."

"You know?" She gasps and I nod, "So please explain to me properly."

"It has happened before. Over the past two three years, she's been getting more symptoms-symptoms that didn't exist until recently."

"What is this disease exactly?" I ask, frustrated.

"Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy means a part of her heart muscle is thickened. Sometimes, there are no symptoms, and people, like her dad, don't even know they have it. They just go into sudden cardiac arrest. Many of them die. In Rachel's case, we found out through genetic testing that she has it. More recently, she's been experiencing some mild symptoms."

"How did you find out?" I ask and she explains, "Two years back, I got her tested because it took her father so young. There was a chance that she could have it because her Grandfather had it and then it was inherited to both his sons. When she realized she has the same condition that killed her Dad, she was almost convinced that the same thing would happen to her. That's partly why we moved to California."

"Is everyone with this disease destined to die young?" My hands tremble, as I try to get a grip on myself and she sighs, "No, that's the thing. Many live completely normal lives. There is just no way to know."

"But Rachel is convinced she'll die young?" I don't know if it's the anger or the sadness that is asking this question.

"Yes. And that's why she refused to get involved with you because she didn't want what happened to me to happen to you." Emily answers and a teardrop rolls down her eyes.

"Why didn't she just tell me before?" I mutter.

"Because she knew you would say it didn't matter. She didn't want you to know. She wanted you to move on, find someone else so that you never had to get hurt. It kills her to push you away because she loves you a lot."

"I love her too," I say without hesitation.

"I know. I can tell." She says, giving me a sad smile and I ask her helplessly, "What do I do?"

"Don't listen to her. She's going to continue to try to convince you that it's best not to get involved with her. She'll fight with you, say hurtful things, push you away. She thinks every day could be her last day. She's a selfless person, but she should let you make the decision. She's trying to make it for you because she thinks she knows what's best for you."

"She's what's best for me." I start pacing back and forth. "I need to see her," I say and walk towards her hospital room.

A nurse comes outside, "Excuse me, sir, how can I help you?"

"I need to see the patient inside," I say, peeking inside the room now and then.

"I'm sorry, sir, but only family members are allowed inside." She says.

And again, I'm forbidden to see her. It's painful to have her so near yet so far.

But I'm going to see her soon.

"When is she getting discharged?" I ask the nurse and she tells me, "As soon as she gains her consciousness."

"Can I just look through the window?" I ask with hopeful eyes and she nods hesitantly.

I slowly walk towards the window of her room, not confident anymore if I could see her in that condition. But I gather up all the courage to finally see her, my Grace. She looks tired yet so beautiful that It takes my breath away. I watch her as she sleeps like the Disney princess 'Aurora', waiting for her prince to come and kiss her awake. I keep staring at her and I realize that this is something I could do for a whole eternity.

Just then, I'm interrupted by a call.

I excuse myself from Emily and Paul and walk outside.

"Mom," I answer.

"Tell me, you found her." She asks desperately and I smile to myself, "Yes, I did."

"Jesus, thank you so much." She gasps as if she'd been holding her breath and I joke to lighten the mood, "Mom, I was the one who found her."

She still giggles at my lame joke and asks, "Where is she?"

"Stanford hospital, San Francisco."

"What happened?" Mom asks in a panicked voice and I explain everything that happened after her phone call in the morning.

"I'm so happy and grateful, that she's safe. Lucas, listen. Day after tomorrow, I'm taking a leave from my office and coming to visit her. I was going to take it tomorrow, but a huge project is due. But I'll probably be there the next day." Mom says and I nod, "Okay, Mom. Also, can you inform Sam, Matt, and Tyler, as well? I was going to call them myself, but Grace is getting discharged now, so I won't get any time."

"Yeah, sure. I'll do that." Mom assures me. Just then, Emily comes to me and says, "Lucas, She's awake."

"I'm coming," I whisper, keeping a hand on my phone.

"Is that Anna?" Emily asks, slowly walking towards me and I nod slightly.

"Emily?" Mom asks from the other side as Emily opens her hand, asking me for the phone. I hand her the phone saying, "I'll go check up on Grace." She nods and I hear an intake of a sharp breathe, "Anna," as I walk away.
________________________________________

They're finally going to have a heart-to-heart conversation in the next chapter.
Be ready for the time you all have been waiting for has come.

Enjoy reading and don't forget to vote if you liked the chapter.

Have a nice day:)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 43.7K 50
Sometimes, the one you have in your heart is not the one you have in your arms. --- "I love this book, it's perfect. I finished it in one sitting, I...
21.4K 4.2K 33
Aria Matthews is in love with her best friend, Lucas Miller. It is the best kept secret since Area 51 and she knows she would take it to the grave. B...
3.5M 106K 65
❝ I don't have time to waste thinking about a boy who will only destroy my future,❞ I say getting closer to him with every word, maybe a little too c...
1.2M 71K 42
[2022 WATTPAD BOOKS AWARD & WATTY WINNER: GETTING PUBLISHED 2025] There's a boy at Evergreen High that has a different girlfriend every two weeks, a...