Show me the moon (COMPLETED)

By Tee-spice

*Nigerian Themed Novel* Poorer than the word itself, 16 year old Nene is caught up in a world full of the st... More

Once Again
Another Day
Ade
Night Sky
Shaking Bridges
Burning Bridges
Crush Me Again
Healing Bruises
4 years later
See You Again
Moonlight in Darkness
EPILOGUE

The Amusing Buyer

249 62 73
By Tee-spice

The time keeper came out of SS3 E. Looking smart in his well ironed school uniform, he rang the bell signalling the end of classes.

GILIN GILIN GILIN came the tintinnabulation of the bell. As the sound travelled across the buildings from SS1 to SS3 buildings, a rumble of noise could be heard almost simultaneously. Students were happily packing their books into their bags and ready to rush home. The day was stressful enough for them.

"Will you keep quiet?" Came the voice of an annoyed teacher who was in one of the classes. Their noise annoyed him.
Meanwhile, Nene stuffed her mathematics note into her old school bag. The zip had long spoilt since she was in SS1 but she occasionally used needle and thread to hold the sides.

Her fair skin contrasted with the faded black bag as she squeezed her book through the small opening she left in between the zip line.
As she stood up, the sun rays from the window shone on her face and illuminated her very golden brown eyes, making them look like contacts. That's one of the things that made people like her, the colour of her eyes. It was like honey dipped in the rays of the sun.

"Nene, oya let's go na!" called out Bukola, a close friend of hers who was also in the same class with her. Bukola was from a middle class family. Her mother was a teacher in the school and her father was also a teacher but in a private school. She saw Nene as a sister and always loved to help her out in anyway that she could. Especially during lunch time.

"I'm ready" Nene replied and the duo walked out of the class but were stopped on their way to the staircase by Ayobami, the assistant head boy. He had been on Nene's neck since SS1 begging her to date him, but she refused.

Ayobami was a straight A student but a womaniser due to his good looks. His dimples melted a lot of hearts in school, and he enjoyed the company of many girls. Rumour had it that he had dated almost every girl in SS2 Classes from Class A to Class E.

"Nene, are you going home?"he asked smiling.
Bukola just scoffed and rolled her eyes "No, she's going back to the class, she just wants to go and wash the principal's clothes and come back. Mtchewww" She said sarcastically.

Nene smiled in pity for the boy. Since she had informed Bukola about Ayobami, the former had seen to it that she frustrated the boys efforts. She didn't want anybody to spoil Nene's future according to her. Not especially one stupid fine boy who was still feeding from his parents.

"Ayo, I'm going home. See you tomorrow" she replied and left with Bukola.
On their way, as they walked down Aina street, Bukola turned to Nene

"Nene seriously you're dulling. Ah! ah!! Can't you just shout at him to leave you alone? Mtcheww very stupid pest"

Nene chuckled "No naa Bukky, I don't want trouble for myself. One can't tell who all these boys are related to. I don't someone to waylay us on the road and beat us to pulp. Abeg, make I dey my dey. I'll keep being polite until he gets tired of me"

Bukola sniggered "Yimu, gets tired? Since SS1 ooo, we're in SS3 now, we'll soon write our SSCE and he's still disturbing you. Okay, all the best o"
"Bukky, otito oo (it's okay) we'll see tomorrow ehn, I have to get home and rest. You know that I still have to go to sell this evening"

Bukola frowned. She hated seeing her friend stand in front of tubers of yam placed on a big nylon by the road, calling out to people to buy yams.  It hurt her, but for now, there was nothing she could do about it. She wished her parents were very rich so she could help Nene financially as much as she wanted to.

"Okay, Sell well this evening o. Don't forget the government assignment that man gave us. If you don't do it, I'll do mine, then you can copy. You know how we do it naa" she complied. Nene nodded, then they hugged and Bukola turned to her own street.

It took Nene about 20 minutes to trek down to her mother's shade where she roasted plantains at Odozi street.
Mama Nene sighted her only child and smiled. She was her gift from God. If only her husband hadn't died when Nene was just 4 years old, things would probably have been better but she believed that Nene was a glorious child and would bring her joy in the nearest future.

She knew other mothers in their yard, envied her for having such a nice and respectful daughter. Some female children in their yard were already growing up to be potential runs girls (prostitutes).

"Nene, nwam, how are you?" She called, after Nene had dropped her bag and hugged her mother.
"Mama I'm fine. How's market today na? Hope you sold well?" She inquired.

"Yes, by God's grace, at least I've sold boli of 1,500 naira today and its just 3 o'clock. There's still hope for more. Oya take that one, I reserved it for you" she pointed to a roasted plantain wrapped in a newspaper under the table.

Nene happily snatched it up and began to munch on it. The only food she had eaten since mid morning was the one Bukola had bought for her at the school canteen. Hundred naira rice and fifty naira beans. It was so small but she was grateful for it. She secretly saved  her hundred naira. She was fond of saving now.

Every little money given to her by her mother for snacks in school. Nene had up to 5,700 naira in savings since the beginning of SS3 1st term. She was in the last days of the Second term now.

"Mama I want groundnut" she half asked half stated. Her mother nodded in affirmation while fanning the coals underneath the perforated iron tray which carried the plantains. She picked one nylon of groundnut from a small custard bowl by the side of the plantains and began to chew it with her plantain.
************************************
It was 3:45pm already and Mama Nene had sold an additional 400 naira worth of roasted plantains. She turned to her daughter, "Oya Nene go home, bath and change your clothes then rest till 6. I'll be home before 6. Then we can go to Berger Market together by 6:30 ehn?" She ordered.
"Yes ma.Bye bye" Nene concurred and left for thier house a few streets from the shade.
******************************************
"Mummy, see this yam here,3 3 hundred. The yam dry, strong yam, 3 3 hundred. 2 five hundred" called out Nene as she stood by the road side, near the popular Berger market. The main market was closed already but evening road side sellers were just starting business.
"Aunty See this yam, Broda see the yam, e strong. 3 3 hundred naira. Mummy see yam, 2 five hundred naira" Nene called out. By her side, other sellers were calling out potential customers from people passing by.
"Heysss aunty see toothpaste"

"Broda fine men's shirt 5 5 hundred naira"

"Fine geh see this gown 1,500"

"Your boxer shorts here 100 100 naira, pick am before e finish"

Her mother was not left out too as she was also calling out buyers. "Madam, see the yam wey u dey find here. Look am,e strong, na fresh yam"

Just then, a tall, dark skinned, handsome young guy came to their front. He squatted to scrutinise the yams.
"Mama, how much?" he asked.

"1 for 300 naira, 2 for 500" Nene replied. He raised an eyebrow 'like seriously?'

"Let me take 3 for 700 naira" he haggled
Nene smiled "Ah noo, broda, take 3 for 800 naira or 4 for 1,000 naira"
The guy smiled at her, what a smart girl!

"Abeg na, 3 for 700 naira. Make I see something chop for the next 2 weeks. You know how Nigeria is! No money everywhere" he insisted.

Nene's mother smiled. The guy haggled like a woman. "Uncoo you can negotiate like a woman ehn, Nene give him the yams"  she ordered.
Nene, happily packaged the yams into a big nylon bag and handed it to him. He gave her the money for the items and waved them goodbye. What an amusing buyer! He succeeded in making both mother and child smile for a moment in time.
Nene didn't forget his face. He wasn't like other customers who haggled to a fault and even argued at the end, and sometimes ended up not buying anything. The market was full of crazy people!
***************************************
Phew! Finally got chapter 3 done. Hope you liked it? Kindly click the star below to vote for this chapter. That's one of my motivations. God bless you. Healthy comments will be highly appreciated.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.4K 2.5K 31
They say Money makes the world go round, Is that true? They say no man is an island Prove it? They say happiness can...
7.3K 1.3K 45
Judith's life takes a sudden turn during her SS1 days, when her dad died from a ghastly road accident.. which dashes her hope of being a professional...
13.6K 2.6K 39
What is your spec? I mean those qualities you desire your future partner to possess? Definitely not being way below in the social ladder right? Espec...
2.3K 672 51
Book 1 What do you do when you catch the attention of the most popular boy in school? How do you say no and still be free to walk the halls of the sc...