𝐋𝐔𝐃𝐈𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐔𝐒. ᵒᵘᵗᵉʳ ᵇᵃ...

By MYDRIVERERA

━━━━━━ ❝ 𝐖𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐔𝐂𝐊 𝐈𝐒 𝐀 𝐏𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄, 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐆𝐔𝐘𝐒, 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄, 𝐃𝐑𝐔𝐆 𝐃𝐄𝐀𝐋𝐄𝐑𝐒... More

𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐑𝐎𝐃𝐔𝐂𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 01.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 02.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 03.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 04.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 05.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 06.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 07.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 08.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 10.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 11.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 12.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 13.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 14.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 15.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 16.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 17.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 18.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 19.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 20.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 21.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 22.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 23.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 24.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 25.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 26.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 27.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 28.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 29.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 30.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 31.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 32.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 33.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 34.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 35.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 36.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 37.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 38.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 39.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 40.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 41.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 42.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 43.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 44.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 45.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 46.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 47.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 48.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 49.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 50.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 51.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 52.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 53.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 54.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 55.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 56.
𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄.
𝐚𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫'𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐞
━━ 𝐒𝐄𝐐𝐔𝐄𝐋

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 09.

24.5K 803 190
By MYDRIVERERA

━ 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘄𝗮𝘆 𝗵𝗼𝗺𝗲.

𝐈 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐒𝐈𝐓𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐈𝐍 the front seat of the van as the sun began to set.

The boat ride back to the docks had been a whirl of emotions, for starters. Kiara had asked what we'd found, only to then later see Jj pull out a wad of cash and a thick black gun. Her and Pope let their jaws drop, and I simply stared at the ground of the boat, as John B drove and steered through the maze, that they called "the marsh". I felt somewhat embarrassed, that I'd let him steal something from my own grandfather's motel.

John B and Jj explained everything that happened in the room, from finding the secret safe, to finding the money, and hiding from the cops outside the window, all while I stared out at the water.

The rest of the ride had consisted of me sitting at the front, my arms along the top rim, staring out at the water passing by, while the four teenagers chatted behind me and discussed matters that I didn't understand, and, that I wasn't apart of. The wind brushed through my hair as the boat swam faster, and I loved the feeling, a small smile on my lips as we drifted through the wind. It was amazing, and I caught myself wishing it hadn't ended.

Then, the boat returned to the docks, and I was faced with the aftermath of the hurricane, which I had forgotten about. It was much better than when we'd passed it earlier in the day, but large wood pieces still remained scattered in the water. There was many more people, a lot cleaning up, most talking and shouting to one another at the front desk of the building, and others washing off their boats.

The boat we were in had stopped by a dock, which wasn't as badly ruined, and all four teenagers jumped out, as Pope tied the rope to a metal post. I was the last to get out, and I caught myself secretly bidding a farewell to it, saying goodbye as the first boat I'd ever been in.

Until I had stepped onto the dock, it never dawned on me that the adventure was supposed to be my one and only time hanging out with these teenagers. As John B had said it, and made it clear for that matter, "I save your ass, and you save mine. Then we're done, and you don't have to look at my face ever again." I didn't believe him at first, but as we walked down the dock and away from the water, I started to.

The five of us had climbed back into the van, and John B drove us off. Nobody really talked as the radio played softly in the background, while we drifted past streets of large houses. It was something different. With the radio playing, John B tapping the steering wheel as I sat beside him in the front seat, it felt like I'd been friends with them all my life. And I liked the feeling.

    The van eventually stopped at a beautiful large house, and I looked into the rear view mirror to see Kiara standing up. She hopped out of the van as everyone said casual goodbyes, even me. She smiled on her way into her nice house.

Then, we had traveled a long journey back to the cut, as they called it, and dropped off Pope. The three boys talked about something I wasn't part of, chatting the whole way. At that point, I was starting to get anxious at how long it was taking to get home.

"Bye, Charlotte," Jj had turned his head to me and winked, at his turn to leave. I awkwardly smiled, just to give him something, and looked away at his house.

John B rolled his eyes and laughed lightly, starting to drive the car on a different road. We were then driving on an empty street, with stray branches and leaves covering the road in front of us.

"So, you made sure to drop everyone off before me," I started off slow, pretending like I was not comprehending, "do you want me to get in trouble?" I said, turning my head to him as I spoke with attitude.

"No, course not," he looked over at me, shrugging, "who do you think I am, Cherry Cola."

"I don't even know who you are," I scoffed, looking out the window. "And I asked you to stop calling me that."

"After all that," John B laughed, "you still think we're strangers, huh?"

"Jesus, I— I don't even know how old you are, John B," I claimed, a bit outraged at myself for being so stupid.

"Sixteen," he laughed out loud, genuinely finding it funny, as he let one hand fall from the wheel. He ran the unoccupied hand through this hair.

"I should've kicked you in the balls when you showed up at my window," I said, seriously.

"Ouch," he pretended to be offended. "I think," he smiled over at me, "It's because you think I'm cute."

"We just met, smartass," I looked down at my hands, on my legs, "don't go skipping steps."

"Whatever you say," he chuckled to himself, relaxing back into his seat.

We then turned onto the recognizable street, the street my grandparents live on. I looked forward, at the sun that was just starting to go down. I made a mental note to watch the sunset from the living room windows, since I didn't get the chance to see it any other days due to the storm clouds. I imaged it being ten times more beautiful than the occasional ones I'd seen from my apartment.

I shut my eyes hard. "If their truck is outside, John B—"

"You'll punch me, violently, in the stomach, with a baseball bat, I know," he rolled his eyes, driving slowly.

I couldn't sit still in my seat. I was leaning forward, keeping my eyes pinned on the blue mailbox. The house was hidden behind many thick trees. It felt like my  heart was beating inside my throat, a hundred times faster than it should have been. Driving slowly, the dirty brown van pulled up past the trees, and the front lawn came into view, and I almost shut my eyes out of anxiousness.

But there was no truck on the lawn, where it was usually parked. It felt like the weight of the world was no longer leaning on my shoulders, and I let out a long breath of relief. I blinked quickly, before unstrapping my seat belt.

"Thanks for the boat ride, and drive home," I said quickly, while pushing the passenger door open. I jumped out and walked around the front of the vehicle, John B watching me.

"No problem," he said, his tone of voice normal, almost tired, "hey— uh, Charlotte?"

I stopped beside the mailbox, about to walk over the front lawn and into the house. I stopped, turning around.

"Thanks," he rubbed a hand over his face quickly, "for, um— helping me, and my friends," He tried to smile, but seemed shy to. "I know we don't really know each other, so thank you."

I found myself smiling back at him, before looking down to my feet, hiding it. "Just don't sneak up outside my window, again." I laughed.

"Yeah," he laughed back lightly, his teeth showing.

"Are the sunsets good on this island," I suddenly asked, feeling the question itch my throat.

A wide smile broke out on his face, waiting a second to reply, "Yeah, of course," he laughed, tapping a hand on his door. "Are you asking me on a date to watch the sunset?" he narrowed his eyebrows jokingly. "Smooth operator."

I found myself laughing, my head tilting down to hide the smile.

"Well," he let his hand collide with his van door once more, turning his head, ending the blooming silence. "See ya around, Charlotte," he gripped both hands on the steering wheel, still smiling.

I didnt know what he meant, but I smiled back, lightly, "Yeah, see you."

I stayed at the end of the lawn as the brown van disappeared down the road, it's engine roaring, before I turned away and walked into the empty house.

___

    Caroline and Daryl hadn't returned until late that day.

    It was far past supper time, probably ten o'clock, when they had waltzed in, to see me sitting on the sofa with a book in hand. The power was still out and the house was dark. I'd found the book while searching through some of the cabinets, due to boredom, and settled by the windows to read. I had had a lot of time to read back in New York, and I usually sat by my window there, too. Caroline's book wasn't all that amusing, but I read anyways.

    I had watched the sunset from the living room, like I wanted to. I couldn't see much, but from what i did see, it was breathtaking. The sky had transformed into an art canvas, with hues of pink and orange paint, scattered over clouds of yellow. The mesmerizing sight was reflected in the calm water, and it was itching me not to go out and sit at the end of the dock, and watch there.

    While I looked at the sky, I thought about John B and his friends. I thought about how happy they seemed together, in their vintage van and with their friendship bracelets and all. I wanted to be like them, and experience their vibes, but I wasn't cut out for it. Me, my skinny ripped jeans, and my golden jewellery wouldn't fit in.

    The two old people walked into the dark house with stressful looks on their faces, both wiping their foreheads. Caroline had a few plastic bags in both hands, which held items inside, while Daryl held a large cardboard box.

    "Oh hello, Charlotte," Caroline's face lit up with a smile when she saw me, while placing her bags on the round table. "I'm sorry we're so late, there was so many people down at the motel and we just couldn't leave," she genuinely seemed sad, a small frown on her face.

    "What'd you have for supper, bug?" Daryl asked, breathing loudly, as he placed the heavy box on the floor beside the table. I felt my stomach warm up by the nickname.

    I glanced to the kitchen, at the pot in the sink. "I found a box of pasta, if that's okay," I said, sort of shyly. I peeled the book away from my face and closed it, marking my page.

    "As long as you left some for us," he smiled brightly at me, before sliding off his shoes.

    "It's in the fridge," I softly smiled, placing the book down beside my leg.

    "Ah, that was my favourite book growing up," Caroline had noticed the book on the sofa, and walked over to me. She smiled down at it with a proud look.

    "I found it in the cabinet, if that's okay," I said.

    "Oh stop saying that," she laughed lightly, hitting my shoulder in a soft motion, "this is your home as much as it is ours." She smiled that motherly smile, before glancing to the cabinet I'd found the book in.

    She walked over to it ad opened the doors, grabbing the large radio. She pulled it out, and placed it on the coffee table, sitting down next to me. Her fingers pulled up a small metal rod on the side of it, and then it started to static. Soon after, a voice came on through the radio, saying something along the lines of, "Scooter Grubbs was found in the marsh, without his boat..."

    Immediately, I saw Caroline shift her eyes up to Daryl who was putting the leftover pasta in the microwave. He'd stopped, the microwave door open, and looked to her with an alarming expression. I didn't know who the reporter on the radio was talking about, but it seemed like something bad.

    "That's who the cops came to ask me about," Daryl's eyes were wide, and he stepped away from the microwave, a look of realization over his face. "They went up to his room, treated it like a whole crime scene,"

    "Oh my god," Caroline breathed out heavily, looking down. "Lana,"

    I simply sat on the couch beside her, complete unaware until the dots started to align in my head. The cops came to the room John B, Jj and I were in, which I guessed was being rented by the man, Scooter Grubbs. As I listened to the radio, it came to me that the man had washed up in the marsh, dead. It settled an uneasy feeling in my stomach.

    "Charlotte, how about you get yourself ready for bed, huh?" Caroline looked to me, a forced smile on her lips.

    I didn't say anything, simply smiling lightly, before grabbing the book and standing up. I walked into my room down the hall, and shut the door, but leaving it open only a crack. When I sat down on the bed, they began talking, at low volumes, not wanting me to hear. But the walls were thin, and the house was quiet.

    About an hour after, spent of them talking about the situation, I looked to the digital clock on my bedside table, but the power was still out. I assumed it was past eleven, because the sun was completely gone out of sight, the sky was dark and filled with tiny stars, and a breeze drifted through my window. When I got up to close it, I heard a small knock at the door.

    "Hey," Caroline casually poked her head in the room, speaking at a low volume.

    "Hi," I laughed lightly, finding it funny how we were greeting one another.

    "You okay?" She asked, stepping into the room, "How was your day?"

    I sat back down on the bed, pulling the covers over my legs. "It was alright," I smiled, leaning my back against the wooden headboard.

    "Sorry we weren't home, the motel was just a disaster," she huffed, and I widened my eyes as if I didn't already know, "Just wanted to say goodnight," she smiled softly, before beginning to turn away.

    "Caroline," I blurted out, but my voice quiet. The whole hour that I'd spent in my room, I was thinking about asking her. "Can I ask you something?"

    She stopped, seeming slightly surprised, but then turned around, "Yes, of course," she smiled.

    I swallowed the air in my throat staring at my hands, "What do you know about that John B kid?" I glanced up to her for a moment, "You know— that one we saw on the roof on Saturday?"

    "Oh," she seemed a little surprised, but then took a few steps forward. "Why do you ask?" Her dark grey eyebrows softly narrowed.

    "Oh, no reason," I laughed lightly, my fingers playing with one another.

    She reached out an pushed my door closed, letting it shut quietly, before walking over to me, "I used to be friends with his mother," she sat down on the side of my bed. She smiled down at her hands with a longing-type of look, sort of sad.

    "Did something happen to her?" I asked, my voice soft and remaining low.

    "Well," Caroline looked up to me, shrugging her shoulders, "she left the island shortly after the boy was born,"

    "Oh," I looked back down at my hands.

    "So he grew up with his father," she continued, not sounding so fond anymore, "I didn't really like him that much, neither did your grandfather," she explained, "he never really talked with anyone, always so preoccupied with his stupid treasure hunt and shipwreck stuff, that he barely made time for the poor kid," she rolled her eyes.

    "Were you friends with him?" I asked kindly, referring to the dad.

    "No," she shook her head, "everyone just knew that about that guy. Big John Routledge."

    I didn't know what she meant by 'Treasure Hunt' or 'shipwreck stuff' but I nodded and listened anyways.

    "So involved in his work that it became dangerous," she looked away from me, and back down to her hands with a sad look.

    "What do you mean?" I asked, sort of afraid of what she was going to say next, because of her expression.

    "Big John disappeared at sea," she made eye contact with me, looking sad, "about nine months ago."

    I didn't know what to say.

    "Not sure who the kid is living with now," Caroline shook her head, "Probably on his own," she shrugged, a disappointed expression on her facial features.

    "What's he like," I asked quietly, "the boy— do you know?" I kept shifting my eyes between my hands and her.

    "He's a wild one," she laughed lightly, "that's all I can tell ya."

    I laughed too, half-meaning it and half-not. I couldn't stop thinking about his parents.

    "Always gettin' into trouble with those friends," she said. "I see em' all around town."

    "Seems like it," I pretended to not know him, nodding my head slowly, referring to what I'd seen on the roof.

    "He's a good kid, though," she looked to me, admiring him sadly, "Just been through a lot."

    I didn't know what else to say, so I simply smiled at her and looked to my legs under the bed covers.

    "Well," she tapped the bed, her voice uplifting, "I'm off to sleep." She stood up and walked to the door, "G'night, bug."

    "Thanks," I thanked her, my voice sweet, "goodnight, grandma."

    Her face relaxed into a genuine smile, after hearing me call her personally. She left the room, closing the door quietly, without another word.

    I pulled the bed covers up to my shoulders and slid myself down to lay on the pillow. All my mind could think about after that, was John B, and the "secret mission" I'd been on, while I stared out at the stars in the dark sky.

𝘐𝘧 𝘺𝘰𝘶'𝘳𝘦 𝘸𝘰𝘯𝘥𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘐 𝘪𝘮𝘢𝘨𝘪𝘯𝘦
𝘊𝘢𝘳𝘰𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘦 𝘭𝘰𝘰𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦, 𝘴𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘤𝘩 𝘶𝘱
"𝐀𝐧𝐧𝐢𝐞 𝐏𝐨𝐭𝐭𝐬 𝐢𝐧 𝐒𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐝𝐨𝐧" 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘺𝘰𝘶'𝘭𝘭
𝘴𝘦𝘦 

𝐯𝐨𝐭𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐢𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐰𝐚𝐧𝐭 !

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

319K 12.9K 39
This is my very first fanfic. The plot has been floating in my head for a week now. And also, i love ForthBeam so i decided to publish it. ?
257K 2.9K 42
about two teenagers who fall in love, and aren't really that different 13 reasons why | montgomery de la cruz social media fanfic #38 in 13REASONSWH...
15.7K 145 38
One house, two families, three months. Everything in the world couldn't matter as much as these. Susannah's beach house brought together the Fishers...
6.3K 341 11
❝No one told her that she was the type of beautiful, that changed the w o r l d.❞ From number one, to nothing. #freeyourbody