Endure and Survive (Sequel to...

By MoonPrismPower_92

After the events in 'How We Live Now', a noticeable change has come of Kari. She no longer cares what happens... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30

Chapter 10

26 1 0
By MoonPrismPower_92

Daryl made sure I got back to my cell okay. He then went out to sit on his little perch. It wasn't hard to see that he was uncomfortable being in a cell. There were a few times where to me, it felt like a cage. I'm sure that's how he felt too. After a few minutes, I felt a little better since Daryl had talked me out of going to Woodbury. But he still didn't change the fact that I wanted revenge. I would just have to think of a smarter way to get it. I couldn't go back to sleep. I wasn't sure of what time it was but eventually dawn came. I decided to get up and head back out. Daryl was snoring slightly when I reached him. Just as I was about to take a step down, I heard him shift.

"Where are you going?" he asked.

"Out," I said.

"Any specifics?" he asked.

I turned to look at him.

"I couldn't get back to sleep so, I just want to be outside for a bit. Don't worry. I'll come back. I promise," I said.

"Alright then," he said, settling back into his place.

I continued down the steps until I reached the bottom. I turned and looked up at Daryl. I couldn't tell if he was sleeping or if he was just pretending to be. Either way I had to find something out.

"Daryl?" I said softly.

He stirred around a bit but he didn't say anything.

"Daryl?" I said again.

He sat up and looked over at me looking annoyed.

"What?" he asked.

I made my way back up the stairs slowly and took a seat across from him. He groaned and then turned back around to get back to sleep.

"What would you do if I didn't come back?" I asked.

He turned back around with an eyebrow raised.

"It's just a question. Don't freak out or anything," I said, trying my best to keep from bursting into laughter.

He sat up.

"Get a group to see where the hell it was that you ran off to," he said.

"Why?" I asked.

He sighed heavily.

"You're family," he said.

I smiled.

"Is that what I am? Really?" I asked.

"The hell you making a big deal about it for?" he retorted.

"I was just curious. Geez," I said.

"Well now you know. Now can I please get some more sleep?" he asked.

I stood up.

"Sure. I'll see you later, Dixon," I said.

He groaned out a response before he had turned back around. I smiled the whole way down the stairs.

I went out the cellblock and toward the door that led out and welcomed the fresh air. I walked down the stairs and out to the courtyard. Axel's body had been moved from the place it had fallen. It was a shame that I wasn't able to get to know him better. Everyone had said that he was a good guy. I then looked over at the field. The walkers roamed, scattered all throughout. I suddenly had the urge to take them out. It was my fault that they found us. I couldn't see any other reason behind it. I looked to my left and caught sight of a shovel that had been placed against that wall. I went over and picked it up. I had to try to get rid of them. My grip on the handle got tighter and my mind was made up. I went over and opened the gate and headed to the field.

"Hey! Over here!" I shouted.

They each slowly turned and started making their way towards me. Once the first was close enough, I took out its legs and watched it fall. It would be a whole lot easier of they weren't able to move. So that's what I did with the rest. I'd take their legs out first and then go back to end each and every single one of them. After a while, I started to feel a little dizzy. I should have probably eaten something before coming out here. There was still a couple of walkers that I hadn't immobilized yet but it was getting harder for me to muster up the strength to do so with each second that passed.

"Shit," I whispered.

I tried my best to take out as many as I could. One of the walkers that was on the ground got a hold of my ankle which caused me to fall back. The damn thing was still holding onto my ankle after my ass had hit the ground. I kicked off its hand and backed up. The ones that I hadn't gotten to yet were getting closer. They were closing in on me and I had backed up all the way until I hit the fence. I turned around and knew that I had nowhere to go.

"Fuck," I said.

I stood up and held the shovel close to me. Two came at me at the same time and I used the shovel to keep them away from me. There was two more that came and it was getting harder to keep the shovel up. I took in deep breathes to try to keep myself from freaking out. It wasn't working though. Right when I was about to give up, the one right across from me froze and then fell. I looked at it and could see the arrow that had pierced its skull. The other walkers turned around and with their attention elsewhere. I pushed the one across from me with the shovel and saw the other three go down. Maggie and Glenn along with Daryl had come over to help me take them out. The feeling of relief was an understatement to what I felt when I saw them. I helped finish off the rest of them and before I knew it, we had cleared the field once again.

"Hey, thanks guys. That was really close," I said catching my breath.

"Let's get back inside," Maggie said flatly.

The four of us walked back to the fence and then through the courtyard in silence. I hated it and so I decided to break it.

"Um, is there something wrong?" I asked.

Maggie stopped.

"Do you really have to ask?" she retorted with her back still to me.

"Maggie," Glenn started.

"No. Let her say what's on her mind," I said.

"Let's have this discussion inside. We don't know who may be watching us," Daryl said.

He made us all move inside.

As soon as we were inside, Maggie let me have.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" she asked.

"I'm sorry, did I miss something here?" I retorted.

"What were you doing out there?" she asked.

"What it looked like. Taking out the walkers. You're welcome, by the way," I said.

She scoffed.

"You were out there by yourself, Kari," she said.

"And?" I retorted.

"Oh my god! Do you not understand that you could have died? And not just due to the walkers. We don't know when the Governor is coming back. We don't know if he's out there spying on us. You're being reckless," she said.

"Maggie," Hershel came in and said.

Everyone had come out to see the show by this time.

"No, dad. She has to hear this. You're recklessness is gonna get us all killed. I get that you want revenge, I do. But we can't go outside anymore without having the fear that someone is watching us," she said.

"And that's my fault," I said.

"I didn't say that," she argued.

"You didn't have to. I know it is. Had I stayed in Woodbury, none of you would have been put at risk," I said.

"Kari," Rick started.

"No. It's true. It's me that he wants. I challenged him the second I set foot in that place. And I hurt his pride. He wants to get me back for that and he'll be willing to hurt you guys to get it. I can't let that happen," I said.

I made my way past them and into the cellblock.

"What are you saying?" Maggie said.

Before I climbed the stairs, I turned back to look at her.

"I have to leave," I said.

"You can't be serious," Beth said.

"You think that's gonna solve everything?" Hershel asked.

"Why wouldn't it? Maybe I should have just stayed in Woodbury. I should have just fucking endured what he did to me," I said, crossing my arms and sitting down.

"And have given up? Just like that?" Maggie asked.

"If giving up meant that you all would be alright, then yes," I said.

"Well, fuck you," Maggie said.

"Maggie..." Hershel started.

"No. Kari, fuck you for believing that your life isn't worth a damn thing. It's because of you that I learned how to be strong. How to give a crap about myself. You're not the Kari I grew to know. You're not acting like yourself. Snap out of it," she said, coming over to kneel down in front of me.

"Snap out of what? Reality?" I retorted.

"Stop feeling sorry for yourself. What you endured was something that I can't even imagine. But you survived it. You're here. You need to be that same strong woman that taught me so much in order to take that asshole down. He won't get away with this. He won't but in the meantime, we have to be in the present. Not looking into what could happen or what happened but right here and now. We need you. I need you," she said, trying her best not to break down.

She took my arm and had me stand up then pulled me in for a hug.

"I love you. Things happened but that doesn't mean we can't get through it. Don't let what happened to you, define who you are," she whispered.

I wrapped my arms around her and tighten our hold. She was right. I was thinking recklessly and that was even more dangerous. I would not let what he did to me define me. That's not who I was and that's not what I would ever be. I was stronger than I gave myself credit for. It only took Maggie slapping some necessary knowledge in my face to see it. I leaned back to look at her. Instantly floored at the woman she had come to be. I cleared my throat.

"So what's the plan?" I asked. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

79.7K 4.1K 25
In a world taken over by walkers, ten-year-old Elodie fights to survive each day. But she's not just any survivor-she's a girl who happens to be hard...
717K 14.4K 46
"She wore her troubled past Like scars - She had been through battle And though no one could see her demons They could see the face that conquere...
128 5 8
"𝘸𝘦 𝘣𝘰𝘵𝘩 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘩𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘳𝘺 𝘰𝘧 𝘷𝘪𝘰𝘭𝘦𝘯𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘴𝘶𝘳𝘳𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘥𝘴 𝘺𝘰𝘶, 𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘐'𝘮 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘴𝘤𝘢𝘳𝘦𝘥, 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦'...
14.7K 700 37
Daryl Dixon x Reader DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN THE WALKING DEAD OR ITS CHARACTERS. I ONLY OWN MY CHARACTERS AND SOME OF THE PLOT AND DIALOUG I MAKE U...