𝑪𝑨𝑳𝑳 𝑶𝑭 𝑻𝑯𝑬 𝑺𝑬𝑨 ¹...

By hiraethsr

❝ a mermaid belongs to the sea. she cannot stay on land without the guarantee of her death. ❞ ❝ yes, but her... More

.call of the sea
.epigraph
.prologue
.act one
i. verity of the sea
ii. a scroll of a quest
iii. a decision to make
iv. journey to rivendell
v. imladris
vi. son of arathorn
vii. a peculiar bunch
viii. a new friend
ix. secrets of the elves
x. frodo awakens
xi. arguing knuckleheads
xii. damsel in distress
xiii. fellowship of the ring
xiv. lasting goodbyes
xv. and so it begins
.act two
xvi. secrets revealed
xvii. tales of the sea
xviii. jealousy is a fickle thing
xix. bane of my existence
xx. mines of moria
xxi. they are coming
xxiii. fall of one
xxiv. bonding experiences
xxv. lothlórien
xxvi. lady of light
xxvii. river of sorrow
xxviii. departure from the elves
xxix. dangerous rendezvous
xxx. grief, we meet again
.act three
xxxi. blue
xxxii. a new hope
xxxiii. responsibility of the crown
xxxiv. that fateful day
xxxv. determind souls
xxxvi. enemy's words
xxxvii. a trace of hope
xxxviii. garden of butterflies
xxxix. riders of rohan
xl. water spirits
xli. mysteries of the earth
xlii. the dead returns
xliii. ghost counsel
xliv. mother knows best
xlv. what happens now?
.act four
xlvi. start of it all
xlvii. guard buffoons
xlviii. the first clue
xlix. death's door
l. prince of edoras
li. shadow of blood
lii. desperate lies
liii. royal blood
liv. roman
lv. unveiled
lvi. blood and water
lvii. peace in the chaos
lviii. calm before the storm
lix. slaughter of innocence
lx. final day
lxi. the odds
lxii. pin-drop
lxiii. one final spark
lxiv. rain in the fires
lxv. to the death
lxvi. battle of helm's deep
lxvii. victory...or not?
.act five
lxviii. end of the beginning
lxix. from death to life
lxx. the awakening
lxxi. recovery from hell
lxxii. half of the peculiar
lxxiii. glorious defeat
lxxiv. victorious rejoice
lxxv. happiness at last
lxxvi. hail !
lxxvii. the darkness seeps in
lxxviii. temporary farewells
lxxix. mated souls
lxxx. bonds with a princess
lxxxi. the other side
lxxxii. rightful heir to the throne
.act six
lxxxiii. little girls
lxxxiv. what the future holds
lxxxv. lost time
lxxxvi. a cry for help
lxxxvii. start of the end
lxxxviii. death is a friend
lxxxix. just before the end
xc. endless thoughts
xci. father dearest
xcii. the night before
xciii. on the eve
xciv. outside looking in
xcv. boromir's return
xcvi. end of an era
.epilogue
.author's note

xxii. the first battle

1.6K 72 7
By hiraethsr

╔═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╗

𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑻𝑾𝑬𝑵𝑻𝒀 𝑻𝑾𝑶
❝ 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒇𝒊𝒓𝒔𝒕 𝒃𝒂𝒕𝒕𝒍𝒆 ❞

╚═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╝

WITH THE THUNDERING APPROACH OF THE orcs, Vera had no choice but to let go of Legolas' wrist. They exchange a swift look of understanding, glancing down at their hands, before moving to arm themselves. Legolas takes stead at the front with Boromir and Aragon, preparing for the battle that awaits, weapon at the ready.

Vera rushes forward, with Boromir on her trail, to close the door, but yelps when an arrow hit the door, millimeters away from her head, followed by another. Giving Boromir a surprised look, she quickly closes the door after catching sight of a thousand goblins coming for them, joined with a cave-troll. As soon as the door is secured, Vera leaves to help the Hobbits, who have been ushered back by Aragorn.

"They have a cave-troll! A damned cave-troll!" Vera gasps out, taking her bow and arrow ready as she notches an arrow and waits nervously. She catches sight of Gimli climbing over his cousin's tomb with two dwarf axes.

Vera takes a breath as she realizes this is her first battle. On land, and ever. Despite the immense amount of training she had to go through under the ocean and in the walls of Imladris, she never expected to have to face battle so soon. She knew there was a war coming but she didn't quite comprehend that battles would come along the way, as well. Steadying her beating heart for the sake of the Hobbits, she hardens her gaze and stays cold and still, ready for the beasts that come.

Like a switch, Vera's entire demeanor changed. As she waited, she could feel all the worries waving in like a tsunami. She couldn't let herself be distracted, or she would lose her life, and Atlantis their Queen. Vera adjusts her posture as she stands guard in front of the Hobbits, who hold their swords out bravely. Her gaze turns blank and expressionless, as the warrior within her finally comes out to play.

Gandalf notices the change next to him and risks a glance. Vera wasn't herself, at the moment, but she was entirely and utterly herself, at the same time. As confusing as it was, Gandalf realizes that this is the face of a warrior of the sea, determined to protect her people and her friends from the dangers that await. He had seen that same face on his dear friend once, Marella.

The adrenaline rushing through her veins don't seem to pause, only pushing her to embrace the new challenge willingly and better. She doesn't think, shutting her brain out completely from any irrational thinking. Her own feä seems hesitant to fight but being hardwired and created for the very use of protecting her people and the hroä, it rages onwards with every intention of slaying a beast that walks in her path.

The door rattles relentlessly, threatening to break open with each second that passes. Vera moves closer, having shrugged her coat off to extend her movement. And then, the smallest cracks open to reveal an orc. Legolas shoots an arrow steadily, quickly taking another arrow to notch it and shoot.

Within seconds, the door is broken down and orcs are invading the room like a flood. Vera doesn't waste a second in shooting two arrows at three orcs, killing them as it hit their eyes simultaneously. Ignoring the amazed look from Merry, she quickly notches her arrows and aims with exact precision, killing anyone who came too close. Notching an arrow swiftly, Vera watches as the orc before her falls. She grabs the same arrow from the dead goblin, throwing it at the next orc charging at her.

Once her arrows are nearly gone and finished, Vera decides to ditch the bow after fifteen kills, taking her daggers out and attacking. She stabs an oblivious orc in the back, slicing the same one with her knife before slitting the throat of an incoming goblin. The adrenaline inside of her pounces, urging her to move forward and kill whoever steps in her way. Vera managed to evade any harm.

No bruises appear on her skin. The dangerous creatures notice the woman and charges her way quickly, wading away from the rest to attack her. The Fellowship fought their battles violently, never sacrificing an orc to their mercy and bringing their blade or arrow down unhesitantly. When clear, they would go over to help another member —particularly, the Hobbits — from reaching their doom, improving teamwork.

Without even noticing, she's backed up in a corner, killing every goblin that approaches her. The majority of the orcs seem to understand that a woman is with them and picks her as an easy target, considering she is wearing a dress and she doesn't look deadly at all. However, the ones who have approached her are quickly proven wrong as she kills their friends quickly.

She could feel her muscles aching with every move she makes and grunts, sweat beginning to drip down her hair. Hearing a shout from behind her, she quickly turns around to face Pippin, worry all over her features. Vera realizes her mistakes and widens her eyes as the orc takes her distraction to his advantage of successfully creating a cut on her shoulder. Vera could hope it wasn't poisoned as she finished him off quickly.

Vera wonders if there are any female orcs and nearly smiles at the thought. With only a few orcs around her, she uses what little energy she had to conjure ice particles to kill the next three goblins. Soon, she is left with two orcs coming at her in unison. Extracting power from her gift, she finds herself vulnerable and tired from their attacks, continuously hearing the cries from her friends and the sound of the cave-troll.

Momentarily distracted, her daggers are pushed out of the way and clings to the floor. Terrified, Vera rolls away from the blade coming at her face and uses it to kill the bitch. Another scum comes towards her with every intention of slicing her head. Panicked and without a weapon, she backs away from the orc and scrambles to find a defense. Before the creature could kill her, an arrow pierces its head. Recognizing it, she looks at Legolas with a raised brow.

"Thank me later," is all he says before departing to try and kill the troll. She rolls her eyes but nods gratefully. Yelping as she went, she grabs Legolas' arrow and aims at the orc's head, successfully killing it. She takes her sword out and continues her battle.

She furrows her brows as she sees an orc coming towards her with her same ice sword used to kill him. "Wait a minute," she shouts out, ducking from the throw. "Didn't I kill you already?" Her eyes widen as it doesn't repent, only swinging at her more viciously. "Oh, this son of a bitch is trying to kill me with my own damned ice sword." Quickly finishing him off, she grabs the arrows from his back and smiles. "Now, that's a good strategy."

Ignoring the strange look thrown at her from Aragorn, she quickly puts the arrows of their foes to use, slaughtering any orc that comes her way. They seemed rather confused to see their own arrows indented onto their friends' necks. Finally receiving her peace from the orc rampage, Vera takes a minute to connect her surroundings together through a hazy gaze.

The majority of the orcs were dead, only a few roaming around to attack the rest of the members of the Fellowship. Vera quickly throws one of her daggers to the back of the little shit's head, who was trying to attack Sam. He looks around in a daze. "I think I'm getting the hang of this." Vera chuckles, walking over to him and picking him up but stopping abruptly as a cave-troll takes interest in her, slamming his club down at her.

Yelping in surprise, Vera turns away from Sam to defend him. "Okay, I know you were probably enslaved for a few years which is why you are so angry—" Vera tries to calm the troll down, providing enough time for Sam to leave. She is cut off, however, when the troll roars. "Interrupting is so rude, didn't someone ever teach you that?"

"Vera!" Legolas warns. "I don't think the orcs have any decency, seeing as they are trying to kill us! Shoot the damned troll before it kills you!" He tries to wrestle out of the orc's grip while trying to warn Vera.

Vera gasps. "Did the Elf Prince just swear? Oh, Mummy isn't gonna like that. Speaking of, do you kiss her with that mouth?" She dodges another attack from the troll and uses his outstretched hand to climb to his arm and straddle his large neck, her dress moving with her fluidly.

"No," Boromir cuts in. "But I'm sure he would love to kiss you with that mouth!"

Meanwhile, Aragorn calls out. "Eden has a fouler mouth than her son, Vera, where do you think he learns it from him? Elves are too fair for that—"

"—Shut up, Boromir!" Legolas and Vera say at the same time, both of them trying to bring down the troll.

"There usually isn't much talking when one is trying to survive!" Gandalf butts in, signaling that they should all shut up before they die. Vera makes a noise of agreement, creating a chain with her gift and cutting the air coming to the troll's lungs. He seems to struggle against the water chains, much to Vera's amusement, and staggers backward, trying to shake off the human on him. Vera's eyes widen. She didn't think this through.

Looking down, she catches sight of Legolas fighting an orc and takes the opportunity to go down before the troll could throw her off. Sliding backward, she has full intentions to land on the orc but only gives it an advantage as she lands on Legolas' back instead. They both groan. "What the hell is with me falling on you?" she grumbles.

Legolas smirks. "I see you're falling for me, Princess." Vera's heart burst. Her stomach flutters. But her eyes glare. They stand up, Vera lodging an arrow from Legolas' stash at the orc's neck and sending the arrow straight to a goblin trying to kill Boromir, who appears disoriented by the impact of the troll slamming him at the wall. He sends her a thankful nod.

Side-by-side, Legolas and Vera kill off every single orc coming towards them. However, to their surprise, the troll everyone has been trying to kill takes his turn with the two. Vera's eyes widen, instinctively darting to Legolas and pushing him out of the way before the troll could kill him. "You just can't stop falling for me, can't you?" Legolas grunts. Vera kicks his thigh, standing up and aiming an arrow at the troll.

It swishes its chain back and forth, trying to kill Vera and Legolas. Every move made by the elf brings the troll's attention to him, leaving Vera with enough time to hurl herself at the troll. Straddling him again, she looks at Legolas. "I think the troll likes you," she muses. He rolls his eyes.

Joining Vera on the troll's back, they steady themselves on him before Legolas shoots an arrow into his head. The troll staggers back in pain, leaving Legolas to grab Vera's waist and heaves them off the troll and to the ground, Legolas falling in front of her on one knee. She raises an eyebrow. "Listen, we just met...and you don't even have the ring! I don't think we should—"

"It's amazing how you can still joke while you're on the brink of death!" Aragorn snaps. Vera smiles.

"It's a talent."

Legolas gives her a look, leaning down to whisper at her ear before departing. "Not today, Princess."

Separating herself from Legolas, she tries returning to her task of protecting her Hobbit friends, finding Sam working out on his own. Pippin, Merry, and Frodo stick together, trying to dodge the troll. Vera rushes towards the Hobbits, landing next to Pippin and Merry as the troll aims its death count on Frodo, who tries to scurry away from the troll. Vera doesn't hesitate in massacring the rest of the orcs coming for Pippin and Merry while simultaneously trying to keep an eye on Frodo.

Her breathing stops, however, when she hears a pained grunt coming from Frodo. Stepping away from Pippin and Merry, she wastes no time in reaching Frodo, trying to remove the steel pike buried into him. She could hear Mary and Poppins attacking the cave-troll with the help of the rest of the members. Her vision blurs with tears as she approaches Frodo, trusting the members to give her time to tend to him. Keeping the troll away from her, Vera shakily tries to get the pike out, flipping Frodo so he doesn't get hurt.

"Okay, Frodo," she whispers. "Don't leave me...you can't do this. There's no way in hell I'm letting you die without me killing you. C'mon, you can do this." She didn't know if Frodo could hear her but she hoped he could, and he was trying his hardest to move through the pain and open his eyes. She didn't know it but Frodo could hear every word and debate whether or not to try waking up, in fear that she would actually kill him, but tries nonetheless.

Wiping the tears in her eyes, she snaps her head up at the sound of alarm coming from Gimli as he calls out. "Vera!" He warns, motioning to the Hobbits trying to hold on as the troll wades through.

Standing up with tears in her eyes, she sniffles. Grabbing the nearest thing — which just so happens to be a kitchen frying pan — and flings it at the troll, attracting its attention to her. "HEY! YOU BIG, UGLY, FOUL BRUTE! You just killed my best friend, you piece of shit! Now, let go of my Merry and my Pippin before I explode you!" Vera yells.

Everyone stops, save the two unconscious men behind her, to see what the troll would do. The cave-troll stops his struggling, frowning in confusion and scratching the top of his head, trying to understand what she was trying to say. Slowly, Merry slides down the troll with Pippin following close behind. He seems confused for a moment before realizing he has been tricked and roaring at the Fellowship. Legolas wastes no time in aiming his arrow at the neck of the troll as it tries to attack Vera, killing it instantly.

The moment the troll was killed, Vera was back at Frodo's side with Aragorn and the rest of the Fellowship. Someone had managed to remove the steel pike from Frodo as he slumps, appearing to be dead. Vera panicked, shaking Frodo's head sideways in an attempt to wake him up. Frodo didn't move, only following Vera's hands. She slaps him a few times, much to everyone's surprise, but to no avail. Running out of options, she makes a ball of water and drenches it on Frodo.

Miraculously, and much to their relief, Frodo woke up. He coughs, taking a deep breath. Laughing with tears in her eyes, she launches herself onto Frodo, squeezing him like there's no tomorrow. Everyone else smiles in relief, gasping at the shock. "You're alive!"

"Easy, I just came back to life," Frodo jokes nervously, trying to move under her tight grip. Thankfully, she separates herself from him and shoots the Hobbit a glare. "Sorry."

"Sorry? You died! And then you didn't— How did you...?" Vera stutters in confusion. Legolas raises an eyebrow. She has never stuttered before. "Are you alright?" she finishes, frowning at the wound on his shoulder.

"I'm all right," he assures them all. "I'm not hurt."

"You should be dead. That spear would have skewered a wild bear," Aragorn mutters in disbelief.

"I think there's more to this Hobbit than meets the eye," Gandalf comments, his eyes glinting curiously as it lands on Frodo's chest. Vera looks at him in confusion before looking at Frodo to see the Mithril shirt given to him by his uncle. Vera mentally gave thanks to Bilbo Baggins.

"Mithril! You are full of surprises, Master Baggins," Gimli gasps.

Their short-lived happiness soon stops at the sound of more drums banging and cries coming from the orcs. Vera sighs, retrieving her weapons from the chamber and helping Frodo up. "We have to go," she urges, throwing an arrow at a squiggling orc. "Didn't I kill that goblin? Twice? Damn."

"To the bridge of Khadaz-dûm!" Gandalf yells, urging everyone to move out of the chamber and towards the bridge in an effort to save their lives. Despite the long battle that they have just been through, Vera wonders if it was the end, feeling her stomach tumble at the fact that someone could die at any moment still. Her arms and legs are tired, aching painfully with every move she made but she worked through it.

Her first battle has gone by smoothly. Almost, too smoothly.

They didn't stop running, Vera having to glide her hand and form water to throw off the approaching orcs. If they weren't going to die, Merry probably would've commented on it. They push themselves to move faster, running with all their might as orcs multiply around them and relentlessly try to attack the Fellowship.

Soon, they were surrounded, forming themselves into a circle as they faced off the goblins. Breathing heavily from all the running and eyes wide with its blue glint, Vera prepares for any danger that awaits them, standing strongly next to Pippin to keep him safe with Boromir on her other side. The goblin army stays in their place, snarling horridly at the Fellowship and threatening to kill them all. Vera glances frantically around her, trying to find an escape.

However, she feels herself freeze as a ROAR is heard, coming from the other hall. Vera's eyes widen, reaching out to try and grasp something out of nerves. Coincidentally, Legolas has been trying to reach out as well, connecting their hands together in the end. Her feä whimpers and moves farther into Vera, trying to separate its princess and itself from the dangers before them. The goblins, hearing the roar, scurry away in fear.

Vera swallows. The goblins slither back into the darkness, melting away with it as a new, bright, orange light comes from the other end. Her head snaps to Gandalf, realization crossing her face.

"What is this new devilry?" Boromir spits. They watch as a shadow surrounded with bright flames appear before them, its eyes landing on Vera and Gandalf. With no hesitation, it bounds forward, feeling Vera's water spirit flinging inside of her. She gulps.

"You know, I don't think he likes me," Vera comments in fear as it approaches them. Gandalf snaps his eyes to look at her, connecting two and two together.

"A Balrog," says Gandalf quietly. "A demon of the ancient world! This foe is beyond any of you, especially you, Vera, it feels your water spirit. Run!"

Without any hesitation, Vera is dashing off ahead of the Fellowship, trying to get away from the demon, knowing she's a threat to it and he intends to kill her with every ounce of strength he had. The rest follow her, running just as quickly, desperately trying to get away from the Balrog demon.

Risking a look back, she watches the gigantic demon make its way towards them, a fire whip on one hand and another weapon on his other, all burning with fire and flame. Vera pushes herself farther. They enter through a room, Boromir going first as Vera helps the Hobbits pass through before going in herself. She stops by Aragorn, looking at Gandalf in concern as he leans on his staff.

Gandalf looks at Aragorn in the eye. "Lead them on, Aragorn. The bridge is near," He mumbles. Vera frowns at him in confusion. "Vera, don't lose hope. You're stronger than anyone you know. Trust yourself and have hope." He turns to Vera, with a knowing glint in his eye. Vera tried to help the Wizard but he pushes her back. "Do as I say!"

Immediately snapping out of her daze, Vera rushes forward, followed by the rest of the Fellowship, missing the near-doom Boromir had to endure if not for the save of Legolas. They reach the stairways, going down as they went in fast paces. Legolas jumps from one staircase to the other, stopping in front of Vera with a smirk. She scoffs. "Show off."

The group stops at the crack in between the giant stairway. Legolas jumps first, using his weightless and effortless movements to spring from one space to the other. Gandalf goes next, looking back with hesitation as the walls around them crumble. "Gandalf!" Legolas encourages, bringing the wizard to jump forward and land with the help of the Elf Prince.

As Vera goes to move, an arrow shoots from above. Surprise fills her features as she lifts a hand up to create a water barrier, leaving her unscarred. She takes the arrow from the shield and shoots it at the orc, aiming and killing him perfectly at the spot. "Go! I'll wade the orcs! Take Pippin and Merry!" With her demand, Boromir hesitantly grabs the two Hobbits, boosting them off the staircase and reaching the other end. The staircase crumbles under their weight.

Aragorn helps Sam and Gimli cross, with the Dwarf dismissing his helping hand and muttering, "Nobody tosses a Dwarf!" —which only lead to him nearly falling off if Legolas didn't grab him by his beard — while Vera aims her arrows at the Orcs. An arrow slices past her wounded shoulder and she hisses in pain, biting her lip to not cry out in pain. Nobody seemed to notice.

The stone under her feet starts to tremble with each step the Balrog's takes. Vera's eyes widen as she tries to move slowly, only resulting in the rock under her failing to hold her up. Gasping, she cries out and clings onto Aragorn's hand. With the help of his strength, she manages to land on their side of the staircase diligently. They sway from one side to the other, dangerously treading as the rock moves back and forth with their weight.

Vera readies herself as the staircase nears the end where the rest of the Fellowship waits. The moment their end reaches the other, Vera finds herself in the arms of an Elven Prince as he grabs her instinctively. They look at each other. "Thanks."

"Don't mention it. I know you just can't stop falling for me."

"Oh my god, shut up."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.7K 834 79
shes a pirate elf and hes an elf prince, what a pair right? legolas and maeral have been childhood best friends ever since they were pretty much 6...
224K 7.3K 28
*COMPLETE* HarryPotterxLOTR crossover FemHarryxGlorfindel ^ Because there are not nearly enough of those. ⋆┈┈。゚❃ུ۪ ❀ུ۪ ❁ུ۪ ❃ུ۪ ❀ུ۪ ゚。┈┈⋆ Azalea Po...
76.6K 1.7K 20
Artemis that's my name. A Long long time ago a young elf prince gave it to me. He was the crowned elf prince of Mirkwood. His name Legolas he was a v...
75.6K 1.9K 32
The quality is bad lol, but it was very important to young me, so no hate, pls. Nymeria just wanted a quiet life in the woods, alone. But somehow fa...