Battle Of Retention

By glitter_xxxlicious

Demons, a merciless, atrocious, most despised species inhabiting the Earth, once dominated over humans for ce... More

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘Introduction∘∙⊱⋅•⋅
Prologue
Chapter 1: The ridiculous duties of an earl
Chapter 2: A stroll to the wild side
Chapter 3: Meeting the cause of all her future miseries
Chapter 4: I tried, but it didn't work out so whatever
Chapter 5: Being social ft. My embarrassing friends
Chapter 6: I can't believe you've done this, punk
Chapter 7: A so called 'serious' discussion with the king
Chapter 8: Haunted by his past; trying to overcome for the better
Chapter 9: Sudden arrival of their issues
Chapter 10: One who can't control emotions, and one who can't show them
Chapter 11: It's sad when you feel alone in a room full of people
Chapter 12: A tragic past too painful to remember
Chapter 13: I'm taking a break, thank you very much
Chapter 14: Surrounded by fools
Chapter 15: About to invite his own death
Chapter 16: Socialising can be exhausting
Chapter 17: The one with the mentality of a child
Chapter 18: Gaining more foes, day by day
Chapter 19: Creepy felines, shirtless idiots
Chapter 20: THIS IS WAR, PEOPLE
Chapter 21: Partnership is for losers
Chapter 22: A secret left to unveil
Chapter 23: What one deserves
Chapter 24: It's okay to cry sometimes
Chapter 25: A monster can never be good
Chapter 27: An indecisive mission
Chapter 28: To be alive
Chapter 29: The evening
Chapter 30: Exposé
Chapter 31: What a dunce
Chapter 32: Identify revealed
Chapter 33: Noah Desmond is a bad boy and he knows it
Chapter 34: The unimaginable coming to reality
Chapter 35: Angels who do not fight

Chapter 26: The once dominant, now insulted

66 11 12
By glitter_xxxlicious

"I've had enough of this. Let's show here weaklings what we Demons are made of-"

"Think rationally, Noah. I strictly prohibit violence."

"And let these petty humans talk sh*t about us?! We can't let them overpower us!"

"Shush, Noah Desmond. The servants might hear you."

Alexandra and Noah's secretive daily evening tea sessions went as so. After the incident with Mrs Delacroix, Noah filled with indignance. The entire Demon empire was being defamed by some mere humans. Unlike the apathetic earl, Noah couldn't keep his cool. True, Demons did many horrible deeds in the past, but not anymore. They evolved for good...not everyone could accept that.

"So what if we get exposed?! We're prepared for battle anyways. Since fitting in isn't working, let's just go back to how we were."

"Unacceptable. This is the era of civilization."

"You really are a horrible one, Al. Suffering alone and letting your empire crumble like that...even as your ally, I can't see you qualified enough to be our Lord."

It took guts to speak ill of Alexandra right at her face. Not everyone could live safely after doing so. Noah Desmond was something else even against her, the nefarious Demon. If she wanted, she could've destroyed anyone in a blink of an eye. Noah was one of the only who stood equal to her.

"Unfortunately, the fact that I am Lord cannot be changed. Yet, I handed my responsibilities to you as you are more capable. I no longer wish to worry for our empire. I have done enough."

Noah sat staring at her, utterly dumbfounded. This was the longest Alexandra spoke in years. Her words hid some kind of feeling Noah never saw coming from her- pain. Maybe it was his imagination, but for the first time ever, Alexandra portrayed her despair.

"You say so, but still don't let us dominate. That's just unfair."

"After my demise, you shall be crowned Lord, Noah. And yet, have you not attempted to kill me once despite receiving several opportunities. Why is that?"

"Don't change the topic, darn idiot. Who's gonna stop me from screwing up if you're not here?!"

The bitter truth of reality, Noah Desmond understood well. If humans knew there were Demons living among them and hadn't gone extinct, they'd never accept them-neither would the Angels. What Erido was up to played a big role in this. Those who promote peace, the wise ones of London, if they were to die then only would remain the irrational. There had to be some way there were going to use to get the Demons to reveal themselves. The easiest being to provoke them.

"That careless attitude if yours worsened after Tobias Céolsige decreased-"

Alexandra squeezed Noah's cheeks harshly and made him face her. He who was caught off guard, looked at her glaring scarlet eyes representing the raging pits of Hell.

"Never utter that name again."

"Geez, you're terrifying. I just think you were better off when he wasn't there."

"I will pull your tongue out, Noah Desmond. Know your place."

Alexandra reacted coldly with a straight face, yet what she said seemed horrid. Noah knew Alexandra well. Her twisted, evil mentality may have been suppressed, but it hadn't disappeared.

"There's the Alexandra I know! Now have the same spirits when the battle begins, okay?"

With a cheeky smirk, Noah left the room humming. This time, Alexandra was left dumbfounded. To intervene Alexandra's moment of unexpected shock, her assistant Denis arrived.

"Well?" She demanded patiently.

"I was successfully able to get some information regarding Mrs Delacroix and Erido. After many hardships, I finally-"

"Stop whining, please. Speak business."

"So, you are aware about Erido's idea of Demon eradication. They seriously believe those monsters still exist. Pfft, ridiculous!"

"I request you not to add personal comments, Denis."

"R-Right. Erido wants to kill the non believers, thinking they're Demon followers. Supposedly, they intend to put the blame on Demons so we begin to hate them even more."

"Wisely planned, indeed. I trust they want people to despise Demons to the extent they have to reveal themselves, if they were to exist?"

"Quite precisely, mistress. It is rumoured that once the Demon identities are revealed, the battle of retention will be reborn. This time, a third party might get involved."

The earl quietly listened to Denis, her hand rubbing her chin. Erido had a solid plan, unlike her. If Demons, if she, were to get exposed, everybody would turn against her-though only a handful of people trusted her. Her servants, whom admire her so much, would they feel the same way? This was why Alexandra always kept her distance with everyone, so they don't get hurt in the end.

Somewhat a selfless act for a Demon.

"By this third party, Denis, you indicate humans?"

"Humans."

Humans, the species once known for their venerability and helplessness , now had the best weapons, technology and soldiers. The fact that they had the capability to stand against Angels and Demons in this era, was worrisome. Alexandra could predict if the battle did begin, it'd get profusely catastrophic a d Demons might not win with ease like before.

"By the way, mistress, what're you going to do against this? I'm sure you'll fix this in no time, now that you have a partner!"

Alexandra slightly furrowed her eyebrows at Denis' query, unaware of her own strategy. This was a cult they were up against...a cult against her kind. Sure she couldn't just kill them all without knowing their reasoning.

"I am not sure as of yet. Whatever happens, I will do anything to prevent the battle of retention."

══ஓ๑⊶❈⊷๑ஓ══

The amber glow in the time of slower thoughts arrived in the Adriel mansion, those moments when with open eyes Zane's brain becomes as a perfect empty horizon, seeing, yet content to sit. He felt the soothing breeze tickling his face and absorbed the music of crickets, letting the gentle energy of nature wash in.

The balcony Zane and Lucus enjoyed the mesmerising sunset in was adorned in flowers of pastel shades and ferns. The creamy colour of the atmosphere was highly pleasant to them, giving them a glimpse of Heaven.

"This world...I wish everything was as peaceful as it is now." Zane took a deep breath, loosening his body for comfort.

"I remember the blissful days we spent when Demons were in power no more. The damage was challenging to mend, but at least there were no sleepless nights." Lucus smiled with a glance at Zane.

The gentlemen spent every moment they had wisely because life is unpredictable. You never know when someone you take for granted might leave you. They knew that pain.

"You guys are always so sentimental, it's not like the world's going to end or anything-"

Sierra, the one interrupting them, laughed carelessly when Zane put his finger on her lips.

"Shh, don't jinx it. Come join us."

Sierra, already as flustered as she was, looked away from Zane to hide her face. Lucus easily understood what was going on and could only laugh at their state.

"So, when's the wedding?" Lucus smirked, hoping Zane would understand while Sierra continued to hide her reddened face.

"Whose wedding?"

Zane had the most bewildered, unacknowledged expression anyone could ever have. He had no idea of Sierra's feelings after years. Indeed he was a rookie in such aspects.

"Zane you dense bastard, get a bloody life." Lucus rubbed his forehead feeling disappointed.

"At this point I can't tell if he's acting or he really is an actual fool..." Sierra smiled with defeat.

Lucus and Sierra left the balcony, annoyed with Zane and his denseness. Sierra had given up by now.

"Um guys? Did I do something? Guys?" Zane pouted in confusion.

A loud vibration from Zane's pocket rang, surprising Zane. It was Pedro Gonzalez, the owner of Zane's favourite restaurant and a former gangster. A threatening identity, yes, but Zane could swear he was the kindest fellow.

"Hola, Zane! I've found the one you asked for!"

"That's a relief! I don't know how I'll ever repay you, Pedro."

"Don't worry about that, my dear friend. But it would be best if you come see it yourself."

A slight hesitance overtook Pedro's usual joviality. He could tell something was wrong. Zane thanked Pedro and asked him to stay where he was until he arrived.

"Where're you going in such a hurry? Need to catch a train?" Lucus joked as he saw Zane running down the stairs.

"Not a train, but an enemy." Zane grinned proudly.

"Wait what?! Well, good luck then!"

"Lucus, go with Zane, will you?" Sierra asked demandingly.

Lucus knew he had this coming. There was no way Sierra was going to let Zane off on his own. Hence, the attempt to run away backfired.

"That's not really necessa-"

"Shush, Zaney boy. I suppose someone does need to save your unlucky a**."

Zane nodded with a faint smile before storming out with Lucus alongside him. Zane wondered what he'd ever do if he hadn't been there for him. Unlike him, Lucus took great care in his physical strength. With a good physique and combat ability without his powers, he was a reliable friend.

They reached their intended location, which was an old garment's factory. Pedro was waiting outside and waved impatiently as soon as he saw Zane. This was the most worried Zane ever saw Pedro.

"Is it anything serious, Pedro? I was so worried you were hurt." Zane sighed with relief.

"Come take a look at this."

Pedro took out his cigarette and crushed it under his foot, leaving only ashes behind. Zane and Lucus followed Pedro to the cellar, where a man was kept confined. His mouth was taped shut, his hands cuffed. He screamed like a wild animal ready to devour anyone he saw.

"This guy's an Erido member. My men found him attempting to assault a noble. When we questioned him, he claimed that he was a Demon and had to be killed."

"Just because they're non-believing, they're causing such monstrous deeds. Doesn't that make them like Demons too?" Lucus growled with infuriation.

"Whatever they may be, this must stop." Zane gritted his teeth.

The men conversed regarding their disgust towards Erido, until a sharp object was placed over Zane's throat. With a shivering voice, the culprit yelled at Lucus and Pedro to step behind.

"Stop us? No bloody way! We only wish for a bette future without evil, is that too much to ask?!"

"There are other ways to do that! The Angels will never be happy with you."

Zane, blinded by raging emotions, had not thought twice as to what he spoke. The piece of glass slightly grazed his skin, yet not making him flinch. Zane couldn't fight against him- again, there was an unnatural strength he had. Combat based, Zane wasn't suitable. Exposing his powers to mere humans didn't seem rational either.

As the culprit screamed at Zane's foolish rebellion, Lucus reflexively grabbed his arm and twisted it harshly while Pedro protected Zane. It was almost pitiful, Zane Adriel's venerability. Lucus elegantly tackled with the enemy until he gave in. After Lucus tied him, this time with more strength, Zane sat opposite to him and stared into his eyes.

"What is your name? Why are you doing this?"

"Matt. I am the one who will end the Demon existence!"

"How ridiculous! The Demons have disappeared, do you not know that?"

"No no, boy. They are hiding amongst you. None of you may not be, but those who you know might be Demons. You won't even realize when they backstab you. The battle is near, Zane Adriel, this time there will be thrice more bloodshed."

"I don't remember telling you my name-"

Pedro grabbed Matt by the hair, making him shut up instantly. He wasn't wrong exactly, but the truth was too cruel to be spoken. By then, Lucus had called the Scotland Yard.

"Tell me how to get into Erido." Zane demanded impatiently.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

90.2K 1.1K 25
In a world full of zombies and mutated zombies Y/N and his companions goes through the depths of hell. Will they survive?
9.7K 829 48
(R17+) With one touch, Nyx Knight can see a person's soul. Good, bad, light, dark or speckled grey. Not only can she witness their deepest essence...
99 9 30
The world is dying. Heaven and Hell have broken and collapsed, creating a post-apocalyptic landscape that is part purgatory, part platonic world of i...
146 29 15
«you don't deserve to be fighting. you're slaughtering us all, people who used to be our friends. how does it make you feel, knowing your a monster?»...