Wake Up Call

By VictoriaAshleyAuthor

A broken girl... Twenty years old and I'd finally had enough. I couldn't take anymore, so I packed up my thin... More

CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
Wake Up 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21

CHAPTER 6

524K 4.6K 601
By VictoriaAshleyAuthor

Avery

I wake up in the middle of the night uncomfortable and in a daze. That's when I realize I'm still on the couch and wrapped up in Jace's strong arms. I can't believe I allowed myself to fall asleep on him. Well damn...

My heart about jumps out of my chest and I have to admit, that I slightly panic as I gently wiggle my way out of his grip, attempting to get away without waking him. I'm almost in the clear when suddenly Jace grips me tighter and bends in pressing his lips against my neck. His lips are soft and gentle causing my breath to catch in my throat.

I quickly catch my breath and stumble off the couch, landing on the soft carpet. "Shit," I whisper, looking up to make sure I didn't wake him. He's still sleeping like a baby, so I scramble to get back to my feet as quickly and quietly as possible.

I have never slept next to a man before and I don't want Jace to know that I've let my guard down with him. I have to learn to be more careful with Jace. Today was a test for me and I failed.

I can't seem to think straight around him. He just has something about him that makes opening up feel right. All that will do is hurt us both in the end.

I very carefully make my way down the hallway and to my bedroom, closing myself inside. I stare tiredly down at my lonely bed before throwing myself down and pressing my hands to my head.

I quickly pull the blanket back, crawling underneath the comfortable fleece. It has always been my safety zone and at the moment I need safety from myself.

Resting my head against the headboard, I close my eyes and try to clear my head.

A few moments later, I hear footsteps creeping down the hall and then the sound of Jace's door as he softly shuts it behind him.

I listen for any more sounds from him, but nothing.

I toss and turn for what feels like hours before giving up on sleep. It's got to be close to morning anyway, so instead, I sit up, arms stretched, as I look around my new room. Everything from the glass table, black trunk, and pictures on the wall are an unfamiliar feeling that make me wish that I have my own home.

About an hour later, I hop out of bed and make my way to the bathroom. The door is wide open so without a second thought I step inside, flipping on the light behind me.

"Oh shit!" I scream by surprise at the sight in front of me.

Jace is standing there in only a small towel, while brushing his teeth. He peers over his taut shoulder and grins with his toothbrush hanging from his mouth.

He looks just as cool and calm as ever. "Morning."

I feel my eyes wander down to his low hanging towel that is so low on his waist that even I feel embarrassed. I throw my hands over my eyes and force myself not to peek. "I'm sorry," I stammer. "I didn't know you were in here." I turn back to the door and start walking away in humiliation.

I hear him drop his toothbrush down, before spitting in the sink. "It's fine." He walks up next to me, pulling his towel up higher. "I'm done now. The bathroom is all yours." He walks out of the bathroom shutting the door behind him.

I stand here still trying to catch my damn breath. I really wish he would learn to wear clothes more often. I don't know how much more of his body I can handle.

I grunt to myself and hop in the shower.

After taking a quick shower and getting dressed, I step into the living room to see Jace throwing on a black leather jacket. He smiles sweetly upon noticing me watching him. "You look nice," he says. "Hey, I'm going to be gone for a few hours. I might bring some company by later so feel free to have anyone over that you please. You're always welcome."

I give him a head nod and a weak smile, before walking over to the loveseat and plopping down roughly. I inwardly flinch when remembering what happened here last night. I still can't believe that I allowed myself to get so comfortable with him. I need to be more careful for now on.

"Alright... have fun," I mumble. I jump up from the couch and give Jace a reassuring smile, pretending that I have things I can do, when really... I don't have shit else going on in my life. Makes me feel so pathetic.

He gives me a quick look before he heads out the door. I can't help but to notice how his eyes lower down to the loveseat right before he shuts the door behind him. I'm sure it's nothing, probably just an eye twitch or something.

I lean against the leather couch and take a long, deep breath. I have a lot of energy and nothing to waste it on for the day. I'm not used to feeling this energized. It's crazy how much a good night's sleep can do.

Caleb of course is always an option. He never seems to be working and in fact, I have no idea where or if he even works. I haven't spoken to him for almost two days and I'm pretty positive that my phone will have at least a few missed calls from him by now.

I pace around the living room for a few minutes before heading to my bedroom and pulling my phone from out of my purse. I dial Caleb's number and surprisingly get an answer on the first ring, as if he's been waiting for me to reach out to him.

I hear his heavy breathing through the phone moments before he even responds. "Look who is still alive," he says playfully. "I've been calling you for two days now." He's trying to play it off, but I know that he's annoyed. He's not very good at hiding his emotions from me and he always gets wound up when he doesn't hear from me for a few days.

I breathe into the phone and close my eyes shut, not really wanting to get into it. "Just come over," I blurt out before I can manage to change my mind. "Let's hang out."

His heavy breathing fills the phone line as I wait for his response. "Alright, this is new..." he says hesitantly. "I'll be there in about ten minutes or so. I just need to make a quick pit stop first."

"Wait," I shout before he can hang up. "I don't live on Remington anymore."

He's silent for a few seconds before he lets out a small laugh, clearly confused. "What exactly do you mean? Is everything alright?" he questions.

"I couldn't afford to pay rent. I had to move," I reply quickly, hoping to avoid the details. "It's no biggie."

He grunts into the phone. "I sent out that money order like you asked. They had to have gotten it by now," he says, sounding slightly annoyed.

"I am already behind from two months though. It's a long story. Just never mind." I pause, before breaking the news to him. "I met some guy and he offered to let me rent out his spare room. I'm there right now."

I hear him growl into the phone. That's not unusual for him. He's never afraid to show his annoyance toward me. "Tell me where you're staying at and you can tell me more when I get there."

"1535 Lighthouse Road. It's a white house with a blue door. It should be easy to find. If not... just call me back or text. See you soon."

I quickly hang up the phone before he can say anything else. I'm a big girl and I don't need to explain anything to him.

Yawning, I toss my phone aside and wander back to my bedroom in search of my black jacket. It's almost the

middle of September and already, I can feel the change in the weather. I don't mind it though. It's an excuse to keep bundled up and hidden from the outside world. It's what I do best.

I step outside taking a seat on the front porch. I lean my head back, eyes closed, as the light wind blows through my hair and softly kisses my face. It reminds me of older times. Ones that I don't want to remember. I want to be able

to feel the cool wind and think of something better. I need new memories, ones to be proud of.

The sound of screeching tires startles me from my thoughts. I look up to see Caleb's red car pull into the driveway and jerk to a halt. His face looks stiff through the windshield, and I can tell that he is trying to calm himself down, before getting out.

He stays seated behind the wheel for a few more seconds before jumping out and walking over to me. He stares down at his feet while chewing on his bottom lip, as if lost in thought. Then he looks up with a look of torment in his desperate eyes. "I would help you if you ask. You've always known that, Avery." He lets out a breath of frustration and tugs on his blonde hair. "What are you so afraid of with me? Is it commitment? What is it? I know I'm pushy, but I can fucking help it."

I place my hands in my jacket pockets and look out into the street. It's quiet and peaceful, how I wish my life could be, but know it will never fucking happen. "I didn't expect for this to happen. Besides, I can never live with you, Caleb," I reply. "You know this. You want more than I'm able to give."

He looks down into my eyes before taking a seat next to me on the wooden step. "This guy." He pauses for a heart beating second, his eyes becoming dark. "Are you sleeping with him? I find it a little fucked up that you won't even spend more than a few hours at a time with me, but yet you move in with a complete stranger," he huffs. "Tell me."

I look over at him with my nose scrunched in

annoyance. He has no right to ask me that question. I don't belong to him and I don't have to answer to him. He knew this from the get-go.

"No, if you must know." I stand up and walk into the house with him following closely at my heels. "That's exactly why I can live here with him," I breathe.

"He doesn't want from me what I can't give." I look behind me, staring him straight in the eye. "You do."

Sighing, he sits down on the couch and places his head in his hands. "I care about you, Avery. I understand that you don't want anything more, but I am hoping one

day that you will eventually let me in."

If only he would understand just how impossible that is. I can't, even if I wanted to. Truthfully, I don't want to. He has already been trying for over ten months. I feel nothing, as bad as that sounds. I've tried to find something, but no...

I decide it's time for a change of subject before I

change my mind about hanging out with Caleb. "Hey let's go get some lunch," I stammer, trying to figure out if it's a good idea to take him to The Indy Go or not. "I'm starving."

He looks up a bit surprised with a small smile on his face. We usually never go out in public. It is one of my rules. It's just easier that way but this time, things are different. I need to get things off my mind and keep busy in any way that I can, before my mind drifts back to Jace.

"Where do you want to go?" he asks, while standing up and fixing his black flannel shirt. He still doesn't look very happy, but is fighting to just deal.

Crossing my arms over my chest, I lean against the wall and release a small breath. I forgot to mention the fact that I no longer have to work at the club anymore. That should

make him happy at least. "Oh yeah, I have a new job." I grin and walk toward the door. "Have you ever heard of The Indy Go?"

A small smile creeps over his baby face. "The little diner by your old place," he says joyfully. "Yes. I've been there. You went and applied there?"

"My new landlord owns it," I say smoothly, hoping not to upset him more. "Let's grab some food."

The look on his face is not what I expect. He looks almost angry, as if he wants to choke someone. He shakes his head and bites his bottom lip. "The guy that you live with," he questions. "That's weird. He lets you move in and gives you a job. Isn't he some kind of hero," he mumbles.

I silently follow Caleb outside and to his car, just ignoring his stupid comment. He slams his door behind him and looks down at his phone while shifting the car into drive. "Looks like I have to make another quick pit stop. It will only take a few minutes."

I nod my head and turn to face the window. It doesn't really bother me, but he always seems to have to make pit stops. A part of me wonders why, but at the same time, I don't want to know too much about him. It's my way of keeping a distance. "Sure," I mumble.

He parks his car into the driveway of a small white house with peeling paint and beaten up windows about five minutes away from Jace's house. It looks just about as bad as my place on Remington had. I sit back and play with the seatbelt while Caleb quickly runs inside.

Coming back from my thoughts, I look up when Caleb appears back in the car, almost scaring me. "See, I told you that it would be quick." He straps on his seatbelt and looks over at me with a smile, looking happier than he had before entering the house. "Now let's go and eat."

My eyes widen as I look over at him. "Someone is suddenly in a good mood."

He pulls his car into the parking lot of the diner, parking it in the closest parking space. "I'm just happy to be out with you. I was worried for the last two days. No other reason."

I purse my lips and reach to take the seatbelt off, before following Caleb out of the car and into the diner. I don't believe that it's, but it's better to just leave it be. "Okay. Sure," I reply.

We take a seat in the far back of the diner waiting for Stacy to greet us. To my surprise, an older woman that looks to be in her mid-fifties, walks over with a huge grin on her sweet face. I haven't had a chance to meet her yet, although Jace has mentioned her. "Hi there, folks. My name is Maple and I will be your server." She grins from ear to ear while eyeing us up and down, brown eyes sparkling with joy. "What can I get you two love birds this morning?"

My stomach twists into knots at her words. I let out a high-pitch laugh as I wave my arms at her and shake my head. "Oh no. No, he's not my boyfriend."

Caleb looks up at me with a look to kill as he groans. "I'm not very hungry. I'll just take some scrambled eggs and some milk." He forcefully pushes his menu across the table and forces a smile. "Thanks."

"I'll take-"

"Avery, is that you?" A scratchy voice calls from near the kitchen. Winston pokes his graying head around the corner and smiles. He looks happy to see me. "Dear, I see that you have met the new waitress."

Maple leans over into the booth and rubs the top of my head. It's such a soft, motherly touch, that makes me feel welcome. "You're such a beautiful young woman." She smiles. "I've heard a lot about you."

Smiling small, I nod my head. It has to of be from Winston and his big mouth. "I'm guessing from Winston?" I question.

Her face lights up and she shakes her head. "No. From Jace mostly," she replies. She pauses for a moment, looking over at Caleb with curious eyes, before quickly

turning her gaze back to me. "What would you like to eat, dear? You always eat free here. That's the boss' orders."

I shift in my seat feeling a bit uncomfortable. Jace already provides me with everything that I have and now, free food at the diner. It's an unnecessary kindness.

Staring down at the menu, I take a deep breath and order, feeling a bit guilty. "I'll just take the breakfast steak and eggs please."

"Coming right up, dear." Her white curls bounce as she wipes her hands over the front of her yellow dress and then claps them. "You hear that, Winston. Get to work." She smiles so big that I almost think her face is going to rip. "It's so good to finally meet you."

"It's good to meet you, too."

Caleb and I watch in awkward silence as Maple walks away and disappears into the kitchen.

"Great," Caleb mumbles. "Just great."

"Lighten up," I mumble.

An hour later, we head back to Jace's place, Caleb following me inside without a peep. He barely even spoke a word while at the diner and things were starting to get uncomfortable. I just don't know what to say to him. I never do. It's probably best if he just leaves, and we don't spend the rest of the day together. "Maybe you should-"

The swinging of the front door rudely cuts me off, before I can manage to send Caleb on his way.

Jace strolls in with a very bubbly Emma following at his

heels. He looks a little irritated, as if he doesn't want her around, but is dealing with her anyways.

Emma puckers her full red lips, while running a hand over her pink shirt that is only a few more breaths away from ripping off. "Hi again," she mutters. Then she tilts her head toward Caleb with a devious smile. "I see that you have company. Nice." She walks over, gently placing her hand in Caleb's hand. "He's cute. I hope he's good at keeping you busy..."

Caleb backs away from Emma's unusual greeting, cheeks turning red, as he looks her up and down. "Thanks, I guess." His eyes quickly shoot across the room

as Jace pulls his jacket off and hangs it on the coat hook. "This must be that guy." He rakes his eyes over Jace disapprovingly while stepping closer to me.

Jace nods his head when he acknowledges Caleb being in the room for what seems to be for the first time. "Yeah, I'm that guy," he says confidently.

"Welcome to our home."

Caleb's eyes wander over Jace's body trying to size him up. Caleb knows he's good looking but clearly, he has nothing on Jace's bad boy, good looks. Caleb has more of that sweet 'take me home to mommy' look.

We all stand here in awkward silence before Jace turns and heads for the kitchen. "Okay then. Who wants a drink?" The sound of clinking glasses fills the

room as we all follow Jace into the kitchen. "Avery, I picked you up some Cherry Mcgillicuddy and Sprite." He sets the bottles in front of me and then pulls out a

bottle of Jack Daniels, not even bothering to acknowledge anyone else.

Caleb's eyes follow Jace's every move as he leans against the counter, crossing his arms over his chest in anger. "So that is what you drink?" Caleb growls in my direction, clearly jealous that Jace knew something about me that he hadn't.

Emma rolls her eyes, clearly not looking too thrilled neither. She walks over, snakes her arm around Jace's waist, and reaches for his chest. "What about me Jace? Do you have anything for Margaritas?" she questions, looking me in the eye with a wink. She's trying to get to me, and for unclear reasons, it's working.

Jace laughs while pushing her hand away from his chest and walking over to the fridge to pull out some Pepsi. "Nope. You'll just have to drink Jack or what Avery's drinking. I was really only thinking about the two of us

when I went shopping."

His words somehow cause my heart to speed up. I look away embarrassed, as Caleb looks my way.

Emma peers over at me and rolls her big eyes. "I don't drink that sissy shit," she whines. "Give me some damn Jack." She moves away from Jace, jumping up on the black granite counter as he pours a few mixed drinks for everyone.

Caleb watches my reaction and then smoothly walks over and grips me by the waist. I instinctively shake him off with a grunt. He knows better than to grab me.

He gives me a dirty look, shakes his head, and turns to face Jace. "I'll take a couple of shots," he says firmly.

Jace doesn't even bother to look over as he grabs four shot glasses and pours Jack into them. He slides two of the shots across the counter and keeps two in front of him. "Enjoy," he says, as they both grab their shots and slam

them both back, watching each other with guarded eyes.

After the second shot, Caleb makes a painful face and reaches up to wipe his mouth off. "That's some good shit."

Jace just gives him a hard look and steps away pressing his back against the counter. He gives me that calm smile that he usually wears and takes a long sip of his drink.

Emma doesn't waste any time striding her way over to Jace and planting a kiss on his lips. He stiffens up at first, almost as if to push her away, but doesn't.

A pang of unwanted jealousy surges through me,

suddenly forcing me to grab my drink and slam it back. I shakily wipe a hand over my mouth and lean over,

grabbing Caleb by the neck.

Surprisingly, I find myself pushing him down into a

chair and sitting on his lap. I have no idea what's come over me. Maybe it's that bitch: Emma.

I glance up shortly to see Jace pulling away from Emma. It's too late by then, and I find myself making a rash decision.

Moaning, I slam my lips roughly against Caleb's knocking his breath out. He doesn't hesitate before running his hands through my hair and trailing them down my body. I stiffen before pushing his hands behind his back. I still can't handle his touch.

"Don't stop," Emma whines.

I glance up to see Jace looking directly at us with Emma tightly hanging on his neck. A dark look crosses his face as he wipes his mouth off, and clenches his jaw.

Looking at Jace's handsome face makes me want to go crazy. I can't seem to help myself so I take it out on Caleb. I place both of my hands on Caleb's face and pull him closer, nibbling on his bottom lip. It tastes of Jack Daniels. I've never cared for it much but am too involved to care.

Jace lets out a long deep breath and then grabs Emma up wrapping her long legs around him. He stands motionless, in a daze at first before walking away, with her in his arms.

I know exactly where he's going right now and I hate it for some reason. It makes no damn sense.

"Ugh!" I grunt, before pushing my way out of Caleb's lap and grabbing him by the shirt. "I want you right now," I blurt out, before I can change my mind. "Come on."

Caleb pushes me down the hallway, bouncing off the cream painted walls, before we both fall through my open door. Squeezing me, he picks me up with a hunger and throws me on top of my bed, pressing his full lips to mine. "I'm so turned on right now," he moans. He grabs for my shirt to take it off but I stop him. "What?" His eyes jump around as he stares at me, trying to figure out why I'm limiting him.

Surprised, I jump back when hearing a loud bang come from the room next to us. It sounds as if someone has fallen into the wall or rammed it. The thought of Jace

slamming Emma into the wall angers me even more and I find my actions driven by them.

"Fuck it." I roughly kiss Caleb while moaning loudly and pretending to be into it. I just want it to look bad. For some reason I want Jace to be bothered like I am. I want his heart to sink as mine has. It's a crazy feeling.

Suddenly everything goes quiet and Jace's room is silent. Taking a deep breath, I pull away from Caleb waiting for something more to happen, but nothing.

Caleb catches me off guard reaching for my pants and

slipping them off. I'm too busy listening to Jace's room to care about my pants. "What's wrong," he breathes. "Why are we stopping?"

Trying to get my head straight, I look at him speechless, before the guilt finally kicks in and I panic. I push my messy hair from out of my face and fight to catch my breath. "I'll be back. I need to use the bathroom," I breathe.

Quickly pushing myself to my feet, I walk down the quiet hall and to the dark bathroom. I don't even care that I'm only in my T-shirt and panties at the moment. I just need an escape from my racing mind.

Hurrying inside the dark room, I close myself in the safety of the bathroom. I take a long look into the mirror and throw my head back in defeat. I'm acting like an

animal.

I jump back startled as the bathroom door swings open to Jace standing there in his tight boxer briefs. A sight I've grown used to, but damn if I don't admit that it's a sight that I think I'm starting to enjoy as well.

He looks me up and down, his body covered in sweat, as he fights to catch his breath. I don't understand what he's doing and it's making me nervous.

My heart is racing as I look him over. "Jace, what are you doing in here?" I take a step toward the door to escape but he grabs ahold of my wrist stopping me in my place. My heart speeds up even faster and my breathing becomes heavy. "Jace."

He looks me dead in the eye and without saying a word, he picks me up and sets me on the edge of the sink. He grips my face and roughly presses his lips against mine, causing me to moan. His lips are soft and sweet, just as I've imagined. Although, I won't admit it. Not even to myself.

The taste is too overwhelming, causing my whole body to shake as he gently runs his fingers through my hair and presses his body in between my legs. I can feel his hands trembling as he places them on the inside of my bare thighs

while sucking my bottom lip into his mouth.

Then without notice, he pulls away and we both sit there panting and fighting for breath as we stare at each other. His eyes are unreadable as he looks me in the eye and shakes his head, while gripping his sweaty hair. My body leans forward involuntarily, and it almost feels as if I am falling off the sink. I brace myself, pulling myself upright again.

"Jace..." I breathe.

He slowly backs away from me and places his head in his hands, covering it. "Shit! I'm sorry, Avery," he says softly. "I don't know what came over me." He turns around and leaves me sitting on the sink, half-naked and confused.

Fighting for breath, I lean back against the mirror and fight to catch my breath. I have so many thoughts running through my head, that I feel as if I can faint.

He kisses me, and for one quick moment, all of my pain is numb. For just a short moment in time, that's the only thing that consumes my thoughts. A moment. It's all it was.

I place my hand to my lips, softly tracing them, as I squeeze my eyes shut. "Shit..."

Sitting against the sink, my legs shake uncontrollably, as I fight to catch my breath. It seems I can't breathe, no matter how hard I try.

Finally getting better control of my air, I grip the sink tighter, if that even seems to be possible, and lean my head against the mirror. My skin feels as if it's on fire and I still feel dizzy as I sit here.

I need a few minutes to catch my breath and wrap my head around what just happened a few minutes ago. It's the last thing I expected, but the feeling I'm left with now that it's all over, is what I expected the least.

Closing my eyes, I blow out a deep breath and slowly place my feet back on the ground being sure not to fall on my face. It takes a lot of effort, but I manage to do it.

Now I know for sure that I need to get rid of Caleb and fast. I need to be alone, and now, so that I can get my shit together.

I creep down the empty hallway, peeking over at Jace's closed door, before stepping back into my room and looking around.

Caleb is sitting there pant less and looking eager with his back pressed against the wall. He looks nervous as he watches my every move. It begins to make me nervous. "What's wrong?

I quickly bend over in a panic reaching for my jeans. "I'm sorry, Caleb," I breathe. "It's best if you just leave. I'm suddenly not feeling very well. Please go."

I struggle with getting my jeans on, falling over like an idiot in the process. I don't care though. Caleb's eyes are burning into every inch of my body and I can't stand to be so naked around him. I'm not sure why I haven't noticed until now.

Caleb shakes his head in annoyance, slams his hands down onto the bed, and pushes himself to his feet. He silently grabs for his jeans and lets out an exasperated breath as he begins to get dressed. "I really wish that I knew what you want, dammit. Fucking hell." His eyes follow me as I continue to struggle with my own jeans. He looks as if he wants to help but second-guesses himself, stepping away. "I try and try and nothing is ever good enough for you."

Looking at him; I feel horrible for putting him through everything that I have and he's right. He tries so hard and I do nothing in return. I'm a horrible person, but I can't change how I feel. I can't change that I'm an empty shell.

"I'm sorry, Caleb. It's not you," I whisper. I button my jeans and bury my face in my hands full of shame. "I'm sorry. That's all I can give you."

By the look in Caleb's eyes, I can tell how much he despises me right this second. I've hurt him repeatedly and have pushed him away. It's never-ending, but yet he still comes around as if he thinks he can change me. He can't. No one can...

Caleb grabs for his keys and tilts his head up to stare at the ceiling. "Let me guess. It's you, right?" He strides toward the door with hate and rests his palm against it. "Don't even answer that." He pauses to swallow and grumble to himself. "Have a good life."

I stiffly push myself to my feet and watch helplessly as he exits the room. He doesn't even bother to look back. "I'm sorry," I yell. "You will never understand. I can't be anything more than this. I'm damaged, dammit."

Feeling overwhelmed, I slam the door shut behind me and fall against the door in frustration. Tears threaten to form as I rub circles on the side of my head in an attempt to calm myself down and gain some kind of control over my crazy emotions.

Just a few seconds later, following Caleb's exit, I hear footsteps down the hall followed by the vague sounds of Emma and Jace's conversation.

I quietly lean in closer to get a better sound. As stupid as I feel, I still can't help myself.

"Jace, I'm sorry that you're sick. Are you sure that I can't do anything... to make you feel better," Emma asks, desperately. "I bet I can make you feel-"

"I'm sure, Emma," Jace cuts in. "It's time for you to leave. You pushed me into bringing you here in the first place." He sounds almost upset as he speaks. "I told you long ago that I was done with this crap. Now please leave."

It's silent for a moment before Emma stomps her way out the front door, slamming it shut behind her, followed by the faint sound of Jace's fist pounding into a nearby wall. It startles me, causing me to jump away from the door and grab my chest.

My whole body relaxes at the idea of Emma being gone. I'm not exactly sure why but I hate her at the moment. Just the thought of her alone with Jace makes my stomach knot up. The feeling both confuses me and greatly frustrates me.

Breathing softly, I run my hands through my hair, lightly tugging it, as I lean into the door. Stop thinking about Jace. It means nothing.

The sound of Jace pacing by my door causes me to look up. I stiffen as his footsteps shortly stop in front of my door but then quickly continue back to his room. Then they pause again before I hear the slight sound of his bedroom door shutting.

I need to get out of here and fast.

My hands shake uncontrollably as I call for a taxi. "1534 Lighthouse Road. Fast, please." I hang up and grab for my purse to wait outside.

I need something familiar. Something that I'm used to.

The taxi arrives shortly after and I jump in the back without a second thought. It's my escape. I always seem to need one, and now is no exception.

The driver is a younger man, maybe even still a boy. He glances back at me with big almond eyes and nods his head. He looks a little on the rough side but nothing I'm not used to dealing with "Where to?" he questions.

"Taste Of Poison. Step on it," I stammer, as I look at the boy through the rearview mirror.

His relaxed face scrunches up with a look of disgust and disbelief, making me feel uncomfortable. "Look." He pauses. "A place like that is no good for someone as pretty as you," he says stiffly. "It's dangerous. I've never been there, but I've been around that area a lot to pick girls up. Just trust me. It's bad. I've seen bad things happen."

My heart speeds up at the memory of Jace saving my life. If it wasn't for him showing up, then I could've been hurt badly or possibly even killed. Shit, I can't do it.

"Shit!" I blurt, while squeezing the strap of my purse and reaching for the handle. "I've changed my mind," I whisper embarrassed.

Swallowing, I slowly step out of the taxi and shut the door behind me. I watch with my head lowered as the taxi drives away.

That should've been my fucking escape. Anywhere more familiar than here would've been fine at the moment, but there's just something keeping me here, and it's not just me wanting to stay away from the club.

The thought of Jace seeing me vulnerable though, sitting on that bathroom sink, makes me want to run away and hide. If he felt the way that my heart was racing against his chest, then he has to think something is wrong with me. Hell... even I do.

After standing here for a few short moments, I look up to see Jace standing, leaning against the porch with his arms and legs crossed.

My stomach drops and his sweet smile makes my legs tremble. He nods his head toward the door and then walks inside leaving the door open for me.

Shaking my head, I slap myself on the forehead and make my way back inside, going straight to my room and closing myself inside.

Looks like sleep is the only way I'm escaping the events of tonight...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

216K 15.8K 60
I didn't ask to be born into this world, none of us did but we make the best of it. I'm a twenty-five year old single man. Why you may ask? Because I...
411 108 28
"If I risk it all, could you break my fall? How do I live? How do I breathe? When your not here i'm sufficated. I wanna feel love, run through my blo...
16.8K 654 25
"You're bleeding, and you're clearly upset. What happened?" "Nothing is wrong. Go away, Jace." She answered. "Bullshit, what's wrong? Did someone do...
380K 11.9K 49
"You are mine now. Just remember one thing nobody gets the privilege of bringing that smile on your face and touching you" he clenched his fsts and m...