Soulbonder

Por MichaelJKane

What if our spirit animals could give us magical abilities? At sixteen-years-old Shale has spent her entire l... Mais

Foreword
PART ONE
Chapter 1 - Silverwood Forest
Chapter 2 - Battle of the Bonewoods
Chapter 3 - The Golden Rose
Chapter 4 - A Vow and a Promise
Chapter 5 - Five Years Later
Chapter 6 - The Satchel
Chapter 7 - The Blackbird Inn
Chapter 8 - A Foreign Meeting
Chapter 9 - Another Option
Chapter 10 - Forsaken
Chapter 11 - The Whispering Woods
Chapter 12 - Soulbonders
PART TWO
Chapter 13 - A Voyage West
Chapter 14 - Time to Learn
Chapter 15 - Tumble
Chapter 16 - The Dragonbonder
Chapter 18 - A Door and a Key
Chapter 19 - Departure at Dawn
Chapter 20 - First Day on the Road
Chapter 21 - Sixteen Days
Chapter 22 - Shadow of the Mountains
Chapter 23 - Urvark
Chapter 24 - Pursuit
Chapter 25 - Beyond the City
Chapter 26 - Bridgefort
Chapter 27 - The Raven's Grudge
Chapter 28 - Naverun
Chapter 29 - Rest and Relaxation
Chapter 30 - The Lionbonder
Chapter 31 - City of Fire (1)
Chapter 32 - City of Fire (2)
Chapter 33 - City of Fire (3)
Chapter 34 - In the Mud (1)
Chapter 35 - In the Mud (2)
PART THREE
Chapter 36 - Shimmer Bay (1)
Chapter 37 - Shimmer Bay (2)
Chapter 38 - The Trench (1)
Chapter 39 - The Trench (2)
Chapter 40 - Starstone
Chapter 41 - The Areathellum (1)
Chapter 42 - The Areathellum (2)
Chapter 43 - The Areathellum (3)
Chapter 44 - Mistpeak (1)
Chapter 45 - Mistpeak (2)
Chapter 46 - Alashar
Chapter 47 - Ezil
Chapter 48 - Home (1)
Chapter 49 - Home (2)
PART FOUR
Chapter 50 - The Return
Chapter 51 - The Door
Chapter 52 - A Swift Escape
Chapter 53 - The Wrath of Murgal
Chapter 54 - An Old Friend
Chapter 55 - Battle in the Clouds
Chapter 56 - Another Word
Chapter 57 - Awake
Chapter 58 - The Council Meeting
Chapter 59 - Farewell
Chapter 60 - Broken Fragments
Epilogue - Three Years Later
THE END
Recommendation

Chapter 17 - Reunion

770 61 2
Por MichaelJKane

Daziran sauntered across the room and opened the door.

Standing on the other side of the doorway was the biggest man that Shale had ever seen in her life, including those in the city. He had to be almost seven feet tall. Either he was a giant or at least closely related to one.

The man's mouth unfolded beneath a walrus moustache into a wide grin. He stormed through a frame which barely fit him, then enfolded Daziran in a tight embrace. Cringing, Shale thought it a miracle that the act didn't snap every bone in her uncle's body.

The newcomer was Carsenati. That much was clear from his skin, tinged by the golden hue of olive oil. Messy tangles of red hair fell to either side of his shoulders. His facial hair was divided into thick sections, as a moustache, mutton chops, and a tuft on his chin. His attire was drab and simple. He wore a plain roughspun tunic and tan breeches.

"Good to see you too, Yase," Daziran said in a strained voice.

"Sorry, Daziran." Yase let him go. "Sometimes I forget my strength."

"That's quite alright," Daziran said. Though his demeanour suggested the opposite. He was keeled over, supporting himself on his knees as he caught his breath. "Goodness, it's been a while since I felt that crushing sensation in my chest." Rising, he attempted to bring an arm around the big man, but as he was unable to reach his shoulders, he settled for his upper back.

"Glad to know I was missed," Yase said.

"Oh, immensely so. Now come on. First and foremost, introductions are in order." He guided the big man over to the bar. "This is Karlar. Please try not to break him. He's very useful to me."

"Uh, hello," Karlar said.

"Try not to look so frightened, Karlar. Yase is more hairy than he is harmful."

"A Stargazer," Yase said, taking him in. "I never took you for a pious man, Daziran Kavori."

"You're never too far gone to seek the light."

"But some are too far gone for the light to seek them."

"My apologies," Karlar said, rising from his stool, attempting to conquer his intimidation of the massive man. "It's very nice to meet you, Master Yase." He offered a hand. "I've heard much about you from Master Daziran."

"Only the good things, I hope." Yase's huge hairy paw swallowed the smaller proffered hand. "And I'm nobody's Master, Stargazer. But all the same, it's a pleasure and a privilege to be acquainted with one of your esteemed order."

"The pleasure is entirely mine."

"Come," Daziran said, guiding him away, "I'd like you to also meet my new apprentices."

"You've caught some fresh meat, eh?"

"Ripe and ready." Daziran brought the large man to the seating area. "Yase, this is Ezil and Bandor. They are siblings."

"Ezil and Bandor," he said, trying the names out. "Where did you dig this pair up from?"

"A few years ago, my studies took me to Orian. While Master Karlar and I were speaking to an apothecary, I suddenly felt my coin purse grow lighter. The strangest thing about the incident was that Karlar had his eyes to my back the whole time and there was no sign of thieves."

"At least thieves that were visible," Karlar said begrudgingly.

Bandor scratched his head and offered a nervous grin.

Shale was chuckling on the inside. She'd never heard the story of how their paths had first crossed.

"Say no more," Yase said. "Anyone bold enough to steal from Daziran Kavori may consider me a friend." He bowed to each of them in turn. "A pleasure to meet you both."

Bandor inclined his head.

"Nice to meet you too," Ezil said.

"This is Yase," Daziran said. "He's a childhood friend. He was an integral part of the original company of Soulbonders."

"Those trained by your father?"

"That's right. Yase is the world famous Bearbonder."

Ezil scanned him. It took her some time to take in all of the large figure, especially when standing so close. "I hardly think that the bonder part of that word is necessary."

There was a moment of silence. Then Yase threw back his head and roared with laughter. He pounded Daziran on the back. "Oh, that is a good one. Nice to be confronted by such honesty every now and then."

"Cheeky one, isn't she?" Daziran said as he stepped out of Yase's reach. "Believe it or not, I didn't even teach her that."

"A natural talent. I believe it. You were never half so clever." He turned. His face was still lined with laughter as he took Shale in with two huge eyes, like cut sapphires. "And what of this one? Is this another pupil which you plan to corrupt?"

"No. This one is family."

The laughter lines faded. "What?"

"Allow me to introduce my niece, daughter of-"

"Firefly." Yase slapped his forehead. "Curse of Tarshara, how did I not see it right away? But has it really been that long?"

"Time is like jelly. The tighter we try to grasp it, the more it tends to seep through our fingers."

"True words. Why you look just like your mother," Yase said, taking a knee. "It's like a memory, cut out and placed before us. It's so good to see you again, small one."

Shale blushed, unsure what to say to this man she barely knew, yet who spoke to her with such presumed familiarity. "It's nice to see you too... sir."

"Aye." The flicker of the corner of his mouth seemed to indicate that he found the address amusing. He turned back to Daziran. "So, are you going to tell me what this is all about?"

"You mean besides to enjoy the pleasure of my company?"

"Aye, that's nice and all, don't get me wrong. But that letter was a touch unexpected. Meet in Tumble, during the Changing, under the cover of night? Serious matters to discuss? Now I find a niece, a Stargazer, and two Orian apprentices here as well. It's like the set up to a bad jest." He leaned in. "Care to tell me the punchline, Kavori?"

"That will come in due course. More important matters must come before our impending doom."

"And what matters are those?"

"Why, to share a drink and a laugh with an old friend."

"Oh, Daziran, you scoundrel. That's all you needed to say."

"Come on. I've got a barrel of that Mirrloshi Stout reserved just for you. I trust your tastes haven't changed?"

"My thirst has grown if that counts."

They settled down by the bar, on the stools, then poured themselves a couple of drinks and caught up. In the years since the pair had last seen each other, the Bearbonder had apparently gone to the Eloronian countryside to the far north, in the Gomadern Hills, to help run a farm with his cousins. He regaled them with dozens of humorous stories and mishaps from his time there.

"-so that's how I caught him with egg on his face, quite literally. Anyway, once I found those curly golden hairs in the coop, it was easy to figure out that Pernel was the one terrorising the hens all along. The little boy thinks he has the slyness of a fox, but in reality, he has the wits of a bumbeetle."

Chuckling, Daziran took another gulp of his stout. "He should have known better than to try and fool you."

"Aye. That's what I said."

Yase had a way of speaking that invited others into the conversation. Everything about the man was infectious. When he laughed, one was compelled to laugh along and when he spoke, he did so with a passion that caused even the most mundane topics to come to life. Somehow, he both controlled the flow of conversation, but shared it equally, bringing everyone along to his self-hosted party.

Next, the subject turned to what Daziran had been up to in the intervening years. Shale leaned in, eager to learn more about her uncle, but he gave coy answers, only talking about his training.

"Still so blasted secretive," Yase remarked.

It was midway through her third tankard of dragon's milk that Shale began to feel a warm, fluttery feeling in her belly, her fingers, and her toes. Her arms and legs felt heavy, leaden. The effects seemed to change with every new tankard.

The warm, relaxed aura abruptly drained away after the next set of knocks against the door.

Straightening, she looked to the door with everyone else. This knock was much gentler, ponderous.

This time, when Daziran heaved open the door, a Kalavosi man stood on the other side. His skin was as black as a starless sky. He stood at an average height, which meant he was a couple inches shorter than her uncle. A bed of thick black hair sat atop his head, neatly combed to the side, glistening with pomade. His beard was trimmed and even. He wore a namai, which was a rich Eloronian garment of colourful silks overlaying white linens.

"Dragon," said the newcomer, smiling.

"Why hello, Otter," Daziran said, grinning wider.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't the baby," Yase called from across the room. "You've grown a beard since last we saw you, Baby."

"Just what sort of rift raft are you inviting here, Dragon?" Otter said, motioning to Yase. "I thought you had class."

"Apparently not," Daziran said.

Otter took careful, calculated steps over to the bar. "I'm all grown up now, Bear, and a landowner to boot."

"Who thought it'd be a good idea to give you land?" Yase said.

"I bought a row of tenements and apartments in Elgafield. They're set at a very reasonable price. So I'm afraid it's Lord Baby now."

"Lord Baby." Yase threw his head back and gave another of those great booming laughs.

Otter finally allowed the smile he'd clearly been holding back. "It's good to see you again, Bear." He clapped a strong hand on the large man's shoulder. It jangled with rings. "The years have kept you well."

Yase acknowledged the hand with his own. "And you."

"It's been a long time, my friend."

"Much too long."

Once the pair were done catching up, just as he'd done with Yase, Daziran introduced Otter to the others one by one. The Kalavosi man addressed Karlar by his title, simply as Stargazer. Then, upon meeting Ezil and Bandor and being told their Bondi, he immediately took to calling them Liz and Wolfie.

"Actually it's Ezil. Short for Ezilorana. I have a name for a reason."

"Eh, I prefer Wolfie. It's a much better fit."

"That's fair. So long as I can call you Weasel."

"But that makes no sense. I'm an Otterbonder."

"Eh, I prefer Weasel. It's a much better fit."

"Wow." Otter recoiled and looked at Daziran. "Wolfie has sharp teeth."

"And she knows how to use them," Daziran said. "We'd better get you away before she tears you apart. There's one more person I'd like you to meet." He angled the Otterbonder around towards Shale.

His reaction was much sharper than Yase's. Instantly, his features lit up. "Oh, you needn't tell me who this one is." He bounded over and wrapped his arms around her. Shale was stunned. The man smelled like strawberries and summer bolibells. "It's nice to meet you again, Firefly Junior," he whispered.

"And you," she said.

This was absolutely mad. Who knew so many people in the world knew and cared about her?

"So what was that letter about, Dragon?" Otter said, straightening. "You do have a flair for the dramatic. Do you know how far I had to travel to get here?"

"Not half the distance I had to," Yase grumbled.

"Please, Bear, you could get from one side of the greatland to the other in three steps."

"Trust me," Daziran said, "I appreciate both your sacrifices."

"You're just lucky you're so damn lovable," Otter said.

"We're just waiting for one more member to join our company, then I'll explain everything. But first, come and have a drink. We can get down to business later."

"I am quite parched," Otter admitted.

"Just make sure he drinks from the watered down batch," Yase said.

"Oh yes," Daziran said. "Lest we have a repeat of the Kabir incident."

"I have already explained, time and time again, that what happened in Kabir was an honest mistake." He glanced to Ezil, Bandor, and Shale. "Never make an error in front of these two, young ones, they're the type to never allow you to live it down." Otter's jovial smiled disappeared as he whipped around to Daziran. "Wait a minute, who else is joining our company, Lion?"

"No. Rantari is in Naverun."

"You don't mean to suggest you convinced her to come?" Yase asked.

"Well, she didn't write back to say no. So I assume that means she'll be here before the night is out."

Otter barked a laugh.

"You're a fool, Kavori," Yase said.

"We shall see."

The three men retreated to the bar. Yase and Daziran had another mug of stout while Otter drank a crisp golden ale. Shale listened to them as they reminisced about their boyhood days. Most of their stories revolved around the three of them getting into trouble, before Varzic would catch them and tell them off. Shale waited for a story involving her mother or father, but nothing came up. It was possible they were avoiding the topic.

After chugging down her third tankard of dragon's milk, she started to feel those sleepy effects Ezil had warned her about, strong and potent. It was like a heavy weight was dispersed through her body.

A few of the others were the same. Bandor and Ezil sank into their seats, becoming almost horizontal, while Karlar leaned over the bar, slumped and blinking in and out of consciousness. This caused Yase, Daziran, and Otter to turn their talk to whispers, as even the music and celebrations outside were dwindling down.

The fire had burnt down to its final embers. Shale was quite certain that both Ezil and Bandor were sleeping, judging by the rhythm of their breathing. She closed her eyes and pretended to drift off as well, in hope that her uncle and his companions would stray into the guarded topics.

"You're quite sure she'll come?" Yase asked.

"You can be sure of nothing with that woman," Daziran said, rubbing his jaw. "But I say we give it more time before we count her out."

"I see you're still stubbornly optimistic, Dragon," Otter said.

"To a fault," Daziran admitted.

It was getting more difficult for Shale to pretend. She slumped further into her chair and was taken by several, fitful sleeps that made her lose track of time.

The black water began to form beneath her feet and she could hear the whispers again, calling to her, as she entered into one of those strangely vivid dreams.

Then, she was startled from it by the night's final set of knocks.

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

1.3M 72K 116
Born with glowing green eyes. Destined for rotten luck. Peasant girl Meya Hild was "given" the opportunity to become a Lady. At swordpoint. By merce...
34.2K 4.4K 29
Annifer can put it off no longer. The time has come for her to journey north to the snow-covered land of Crosstain and marry the loathsome Larnick. ...
13.7K 1.4K 77
Lyra's life hasn't been ideal. A powerful spellcaster, she's been on the run from her past. Until she is recruited into the legendary Guardians, the...
276K 17.2K 26
A young fairy's desire to break free from the restraints tethering her to her world, pushes her into the arms of a charming, young wolf, whose world...