Timeless Tales of Gods, Heroe...

By mythandlegend

A collection of winning stories in our contests and challenges. More

MAY 2020 | 'Forest of Rain' by @MusicalKehleigh
JUN 2020 | 'This Ill's Humanity's Incarnate Sin' by @readwithjeremy
JUL 2020 | 'Dead Leaf' by @Fiery_FS
AUG 2020 | 'The Price' By @ShadowMaven
AUG 2020 | 'A Modern Fairy Tale' By @ravenwood666may
Author Interview: @spacetodream
SEP 2020 | 'A Wattpad What if...Wolverine vs Medusa' by KellyJBurke
NOV 2021 | 'Daughter of the Night' by @AnneLWilkin
NOV 2021 | 'Enigma' by @The_Musician
NOV 2021 | 'The Goddess of Door Hinges' by @SuVida777
DEC 2021 | 'When the Stars Fall' by @Aptionia
APR 2022 | 'Order of the Apocryphe' by @mmmofongo
APR 2022 | 'Olympic Games' by @TinayeWakatama
APR 2022 | 'best friendzone' by @gildedwolves
APR 2022 | 'The Moiraean Hippocampus' by @JenJosie
NOV 2022 | 'The Book of Thoth' by @wdhenning
MAR 2023 | 'Will You Be Mine? Hades x Oc' by @xDemonBeautyx
APR 2023 | 'The 13th labour of Heracles' by @-astralis
APR 2023 | 'Hephaestus, the lame one' by @Emilythenext
APR 2023 | 'The Doorkeeper' by @StephanieProchaska
The Immortals' Conquest 2023 | Favorite Main Character
The Immortal's Conquest 2023 | Favorite Couple & Runner-Up
The Immortal's Conquest 2023 | Favorite World & Runner-Up

APR 2020 | 'Atalanta' by @addictivee

227 11 1
By mythandlegend

This story, by addictive, is the winner of our April Picture Prompt contest. 

August 1855

Atalanta Condos could taste the salty water of the murky ocean waves dancing on her tongue. The harsh wind blowing against her slightly dampened hair, and creating an unmelodious rock to the large ship. Grey clouds formed above the angry sea; starting to spit heavy droplets of water. Waves forging large splashes, causing sailors and warriors to turn a distasteful shade of green. The smell of fish and vomit circled the vessel making her stomach rumble in misery.

"Lana, Father wants you downstairs," Darius muttered, his head popping out of the hatch. She rolled her eyes and huffed, slipping down the small opening.

"Atalanta! Where have you been!" Obelius snarled, his eyebrows twitched, the redness creeping on his olive skin. Veins popping on the side, his black hair peppered with silver was tousled, due to his hands running through it over and over again in frustration. His nose flared and his teeth were clenched; his body shaking. "Thouven is out there, and all you can do is watch? Oipho."

"Forgive me, papa, I was on deck supervising."

"My dear child, have I taught you nothing? Have I never mentioned how important killing Thouven is, after all these years?" Her father bellowed. "And even still, your relevance is futile."

"Let us not be hasty father," Darius grinned. "Her powers are of the essence."

"My boy, you're much more powerful than her — but you never lack reasoning," His breathing leveled, his glance falling on to the small girl. "Now Atalanta, we are nearing the monster's territory. You remember the plan, yes?"

"Yes, papa." Her voice firm as she nodded slightly; not wanting to anger him any more.

Ever since the demise of her mother, Zylina, havoc rose in her crippling family. Her brother and father went mad; leaving Atalanta to be the glue to hold the remainder intact. The conversations and laughter they had shared vanishing thus, Obelius lost his title as a father in her book. Atalanta made it a habit to call him "papa" in hopes of restoring his sanity — but she knew all was lost the moment her mother left this world.

One day, amid her father's sailing, he recalled seeing a peculiar creature deep within the Aegean sea. The air was heavy, the sun was blazing, and the waters were calm; the only outlier being the beast. Obelius explained it to napping on a large rock, far off on the coast of an island — of course, he was too far to see many details — but he was certain it was Thouven. Once Obelius returned to the mainland of Antiope, he spread the word to all the villagers; raising curiosity in many.

Thouven was a tale told to impish children, about a large beast with copious heads and diverse creatures attached to it, countless tails to kill those who dare come close. They say that the bravest to slaughter the vile being will be granted a lavish life. The tale worked on most while other kids dismissed it as lore.

"Slaughter the demon and be granted abundance — but dare you fear, may you burn in the pits of the netherworld. Form a melodious bond with the heartless beast, may you be granted with the immortality of the Northeast."

The last line of the myth replayed in her mind — but she dismissed it. It's just a doltish tale. Focus. She mumbled under her breath as she watched her father and brother plotting their barrage.

All Atalanta wished was to return to her serene flower shop, where her mother once stood. The shop was so lively and bliss, the birds humming in content as the sun shined with pride. Many villagers loved the flower shop, it could be bitter at times knowing Zylina once gleamed with joy assembling their flower arrangements — but were delighted nonetheless, to know young Atalanta had taken on her mother's duty.

Atalanta placed her thin hand onto the heavy door of the hatch. Dashes of water sprinkled onto her round face as the water continued to drive the ship forward — swish, swish, the chaotic cadence of the murky sea; a burden on the ears. Her eyes widened slightly, pushing herself on to the slippery deck.

Thick grey clouds surrounded the robust ship, but the waves chipped at its integrity. She gripped at her thin shawl for warmth, carefully walking towards a small stool bolted down to the wood.

She looked up; letting the water caress her fair skin. Atalanta closed her eyes listening to the violent melody of the ocean. Reopening them, a familiar glow clouded her vision, the coolness of her powers flowed within her bloodstream, making her feel alive. But this time it was different— this time, she could feel a strange liquid coating the lining of her throat. An aqua-like substance cascaded from her plum lips, causing her to fall to the floor coughing.

"Ms. Atalanta! What is wrong?" A sailor rushed to her side, planting his strong hand on her roaring back.

"I-I am f-fine," the substance continued to stream from her mouth, her coughing aggravating a painful ache in her chest.

"Get the Doctor and Condos!" Terror filled the young mans' eyes at the scene in front of him.

Her arms gave out causing her to fall to the ground and onto her side. She could feel the coolness that once brought her pleasure turn into a painful chill. Goosebumps glazing over her delicate skin, her mind feeling fuzzy and uneasy. Her dark brown hair stuck to her wet face, her eyes burning.

"What is-" Obelius growled before looking down at his daughter. He leaned forward, his lips curving into a smile, his pupils flared; gleaming with joy.

"Lana? What is wrong, sister?" Darius dropped to her side, placing her head into his lap, his eyes glossing over with tears as he stroked her head looking down at her trembling body.

"That is enough, son. Atalanta is going to be okay, her powers are growing just like I hoped."

"Doctor! Where the fuck is that Doctor!" A sheen of sweat varnished his forehead, his face turning red, looking around for the Medicate.

"Darius! She is all right, listen to me boy, her powers are heightened. Which means Thouven is near."

"I am ok, do not worry about me." Atalanta croaked, staring into her brothers' dull brown eyes. She placed her hand on his cheek wiping the tears.

"You need help sister," his eyes softened, before anger coursed through his veins. "Where is that Medicate?"

"I-I am r-right h-here Mr. D-Darius." The Doctor stammered, looking at Darius and Atalanta in fear.

"There is no need, Doctor, she is perfectly all right."

The ship rocked uncontrollably, the waves roaring furiously, the wind sending sharp blows to the face. The rain poured heavily; making it hard to see North. Lighting bolts and thunder sent by God; Zeus was not happy.

Sailors hollered with dread at the sight in front of them, warriors stationed themselves at the front deck, pointing their weapons towards it.

The colour drained from Atalanta and Darius when their eyes met with the creature. Their father's lips twitched upwards as the Doctor ran for shelter. It was as vile and horrifying as the tales stated — but worse.

Thouven was a beast from hell. It had scads of skull heads; growling at them pitifully. Sharp scales embedded into its purplish-grey skin, its tentacles thrashed around in the dusky water disrupting the waves around them. Just like the myth declared, other creatures fastened to its waist snarling. Their black eyes held something that Atalanta understood for some reason —agony.

Her eyes widened in realization whilst she fled to the warriors. "Stand down!"

Everyone froze. Thouven looked down at the small girl; Atalanta stared up at the tamed beast as it whines bowing its head.

She lulled the small melody her mother would hum as she arranged her flowers. Atalanta's eyes glistened in realization. Could mother hath a bond with Thouven? Of course not. She pondered to herself, keeping the fixated stare on the lively being. Her flaring marine eyes kept the creature at bay.

A smouldering red arrow pierced Thouven's abdomen. It wailed in pain and betrayal, before raging and going insane. It's black eyes held pure enmity and passion to kill.

"Why would you do that!" Atalanta screamed, her body shaking, her eyes shimmered with tears, her jaw clenched.

"My Atalanta, this was the plan. You were the key to this menacing beast, and I thank you." His eyes lit up; the corners crinkling as his face shined.

One of the serpents of Thouven grabbed an innocent member with its jagged teeth as everyone watched the mournful scene. Its teeth sinking into the man's midriff, his hellish scream, and the claret liquid seeping caused Atalanta to squeeze her eyes shut. Gradually, Thouven grabbed sailor by sailor, and warrior by warrior; a massacre unraveling.

Her father sent arrow after arrow and before they knew it, Thouven's tails ripped the unsteady ship. A large fracture tore the vessel into two, Atalanta looked to her brother on the other side of the ship in worry and fright. The blood pounding in her chest, her mind becoming hazy whilst, water started to sink the severed pieces.

Waves carried the two kindred off into the vivid sea. The dreary water entered her mouth, the current bringing her under as she gasped for air. Her arms thrashed, her feet fluttering gratingly, her head tilted back — but it was no use, the water carried her deeper into the dark somber parts of the profusion.

Her vision clouded a grim colour, her arm reached up to the sullen surface before gently resting on her chest.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.3K 163 9
This is a collection of shorts; some fairy tales, others fantasy.
6.8K 247 54
[OPEN FOR SUBMISSIONS] Live Your Myths is a collection of myths and legends submitted by our very own Wattpad Community. Share your local myths and l...
254 69 50
A bunch of short stories that I made on Auctor.
311 42 28
A collection of my very best short stories out of the five short story collections I've written during my three years on Wattpad. For those looking...