Burden of Proof

By Barabim_

Lalisa Manoban is an attorney who was assigned to handle Jennie Kim's divorce case. As the case progress, Lis... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
NEW STORY: THE KIM'S

Final Chapter

18.3K 572 203
By Barabim_

Jisoo stood up from her seat. "Where were you? You said one hour."

"Sorry, it took a while to convince Inho that we're not leaving him there for good," Lisa said, a bit breathless because of all the rush and anxiety.

"He's good now?"

Lisa nodded. "Since Heeryung's there with him, it was easier to convince him that we'll be back for him later." Lisa ran her fingers through her hair and felt Jennie squeezing her hand.

"It'll be fine, Lisa." Jennie tried to comfort Lisa.

Jisoo sighed. "Poor boy."

"Yeah. Wait. Why aren't you surprised that Inho's back with us?"

"I talked to Aesook's lawyer," Jisoo explained. "He said that she was planning to terminate her parental rights and reinstate yours through adoption. He told me that she went to your house last night to return the boy?"

"Yes. We made her stay the night but she left early this morning without saying goodbye."

"And that's when the accident happened, I assume?" Lisa nodded. "Have you seen her?"

"Not yet. I was waiting for you." Jisoo turned around and walked towards one of the corridors. "The doctor said she's stable but she's still unconscious. She suffered quite an injury when she fell and hit her head."

Lisa and Jennie followed Jisoo.

"Here," Jisoo took the masks and gloves provided on a cart outside the room, handing a set to Lisa. "Extra precaution considering her condition."

"I'll go in. You stay here," Lisa told Jennie.

"Why?"

"I just don't feel comfortable risking both of us in this."

"There's no risk. You know HIV doesn't spread through air or physical contact," Jennie argued.

"Yes but still... I'd like to be extra careful. I can't afford any more drama. Please? She's not awake anyway so she won't even know who visits her."

Jennie sighed. "Fine. I'll wait here."

"Thank you." Lisa put on the gloves and mask and followed Jisoo inside.

She sighed when she saw the woman lying on the bed with a bandaged head and bruises and cuts on her arms and face. "Did the doctor say anything about her chance to recover?" She asked Jisoo.

"Considering her condition, the chance is very low. Her immune system is too weak. They don't know whether she could survive this."

Lisa gulped. "So what do we do now?"

"Her lawyer said she had drawn up a will not long after she won custody over Inho. Should the worst happen..." Jisoo trailed off.

"What will happen to Inho?"

"I'll do anything in my power to make sure he's back where he belongs, with you and Jennie, regardless of what the will says."

"Thanks," Lisa said.

They stood quietly for a few seconds, observing the still figure lying in the hospital bed.

"Go home, Lis. Go back to your family. There's nothing we can do here. I've put my number down as the emergency contact along with her lawyer's. I'll let you know once I hear something." Jisoo gestured for them to leave the room.

"Someone needs to tell the landlady," Lisa said as she took off her mask and gloves and disposed them in the bin. "She'd be worried." She then used the alcohol hand sanitizer nearby to clean her hands thoroughly before she let Jennie hold her hand.

"How is she?" Jennie asked.

Lisa took a deep breath and shook her head.

Jennie winced.

"Let's just hope for the best," Jisoo said. "Come on. It's Saturday. Go back to those two and try to enjoy your weekend. I'll notify her lawyer to call the landlady and her employer."

"You wanna come along? They're at my parents' house. We can swim and maybe barbecue later?" Jennie asked.

"I can't. I have a date later."

"Ooh! A date? Kim Jisoo has a date? Who is he? Do I know him? Is he cute? Is he rich? Is he tall? What did he do to make you agree to go on a date with him? Or rather, how many times did he have to ask to make you agree to go on a date with him?" Lisa started to tease Jisoo.

"See? This is why I don't tell you about my dates," Jisoo sulked.

Jennie laughed. "Still him? That... what's his name again... Sang... No. Soon...?"

"Sungmin." Jisoo mumbled.

"Ah yes, him. How long has it been now? A month? Two?"

"100 days today," Jisoo blushed.

"What?!" Lisa looked at Jisoo then at Jennie. "How come I don't know this?"

"Because you tease me too much." Jisoo walked ahead of them. "I'll call you once I hear something." She waved at them and left.

"I need to interrogate that shorty on Monday," Lisa said.

Jennie was silent all the way back to the car park.

"Hey," Lisa nudged Jennie. "Are you okay?"

"I feel so bad for her," Jennie said.

"Yeah, I know what you mean."

"And I feel so ungrateful for thinking that I have it bad."

Lisa looked at Jennie. "I think we all feel that way at some point but Yeri once told me that I should learn to count my blessings." Lisa smiled. "I have you, great friends, great kids... I have everything I need." She kissed Jennie's cheek. "And now I realize that health is also one thing I should be very grateful for. At least I have the time to fight another day. Something that Aesook doesn't have."

"That's true." Jennie took a deep breath. "I'm so glad I have you." She smiled and leaned forward to kiss Lisa.

Lisa smiled. "Let's go home?"

Jennie nodded.

-­‐-­‐-­‐-­‐

"So we wait?" The man asked as he and Lisa each took a seat on the pool chairs. He handed her a soda can.

"Yes, Ahboji. We wait." Lisa took a sip from her drink and turned to watch the two happy kids playing in the pool with Jennie and her mother.

"Poor girl. Her life's just one hardship after another." The man mumbled and set down his can. "You're not going to swim?"

"Maybe next time, Ahboji," Lisa said, placing the can on the table and comfortably leaning back in her chair.

"Okay then. I'm going in," he said, making his way to the pool to join the fun.

Lisa watched as the kids and adults played in the water, smiling and chuckling to herself at the funny moments.

Her eyes then automatically went to the woman swimming towards her. Those same eyes widened and almost rolled out of their sockets when she watched Jennie get out of the water, walking towards her. Her jaw dropped as her brain captured everything in slow motion.

Lisa gulped. "You did pack the bikini."

Jennie laughed and grabbed a towel. She dried her hair with it and draped it around her shoulders before sitting down on Lisa's chair, making the latter shift to the side. Lisa wrapped her arms around Jennie's waist and sat up, planting a kiss on Jennie's wet cheek. "Very sexy," she whispered in Jennie's ear and grinned.

"Pervert. My parents and our kids are right there. Do not attempt anything perverted."

"Then why did you wear that?" Lisa kissed Jennie's shoulder.

"Because you requested it." She gave Lisa her sweetest smile.

Lisa bit her lip. "I hate it when you tease. Your room. Now!" She hissed.

Lisa pushed Jennie to get her off the chair and grabbed Jennie's hand, pulling her inside the house.

"Lili..." Jennie giggled. "Slow down. It's slippery."

Lisa didn't slow down. She pushed the door to Jennie's childhood room open and slammed it shut behind them, locking it in a hurry.

Lisa's lips found Jennie's and she pulled her close, not even caring that her t-shirt was becoming soaked with the water from Jennie's hair and body. She yanked the towel and discarded it on the floor. Lisa felt Jennie's fingers running through her hair as she fumbled with the knot of Jennie's bikini top.

Jennie had to laugh after Lisa's constant failed attempts to untie the knot left her randomly and frustratingly tugging at the string. "Relax, Lisa. Slow down."

Lisa knew that they didn't have much time before either the kids or Jennie's parents realized that they were missing and she was bent on not letting anything stop her this time. She started to push Jennie towards the bed.

Jennie fell back on the mattress and giggled breathlessly as Lisa's hand gave up on her top and traveled down to tackle the other part of the two-piece bathing suit, still tugging randomly.

"Hey..." Jennie broke the kiss. She pushed Lisa a bit and grabbed Lisa's hand. "Slow down."

Lisa pouted. "We don't have much time. I don't want your parents or those two interrupting us."

"I told them that we need to go meet Jisoo for a bit," Jennie smirked. "They won't come looking for us."

"I knew I married you for a reason." Lisa grinned. "Smart and sexy. Perfect." Jennie chuckled.

"And yet you can't even untie a simple knot."

"Shut up and kiss me."

Jennie laughed and did as she was told.

-­‐-­‐-­‐-­‐

Beep.

"Sigh... I can't believe this happened."

A gulp.

"I resented you, you know. Very much. I can't say I hate you but I was close. You broke my family apart. You took away a very important part of me."

Beep.

A deep breath.

"I felt bad for Lisa and Heeryung. I wasn't strong enough. I‐... Sigh... Just... recover soon, somehow? You can start a whole new life, Aesook-ah. I won't resent you anymore. You gave me, us, a wonderful boy and I thank you for that."

Beep.

"I know Inho deserves to know that you, his mother, loves him. And as a mother, I know that you deserve to know that he doesn't resent you for everything that had happened."

Another sigh and a push of a chair.

"Get well soon, Aesook‐ah."

-­‐-­‐-­‐-­‐

A door opened.

"Good afternoon, Doctor."

"Good afternoon. And you are?"

"Manoban Lalisa. I'm a relative."

A nod.

"How is she?"

"She's stable for now but I'm not sure her immune system could handle all these wounds and damages."

"Will she ever wake up?"

"She might but even then, to be honest, the chance to full recovery is very slim. Her HIV is quite progressed which surprises me a bit considering how young she looks. It usually takes years for an HIV patient to get to this stage."

"She said she hadn't taken any medication since she was diagnosed about a year ago."

"Well, that might be a contributing factor. I think she was infected a lot earlier though. This virus is quite unpredictable and how a person's health declines after being infected varies. I personally think that it's all about medication and positive attitude." A pause and the sound of a pen scribbling on paper. "She's on her own. She needs to fight this."

A nod.

"Well, I'm done with my rounds. Have a good day."

"Good day, Doctor."

A door closed.

Beep.

"Sigh, Aesook‐ah... why? Although I understand what you thought you had to do, I just..." A brief pause. "Do you know how it feels to see someone you love break down right in front of you? And the helplessness you feel because you can't comfort them or fix things for them? It hurts a lot and I honestly, partly, blame you for that."

Beep.

"I guess you thought that you wouldn't be allowed to come near Inho if anyone discovered your condition. I can't blame you for that but still, there are other ways to do this. I wouldn't stand in the way of you and him. No matter what, you're his birthmother. And I know first hand how it feels to be unwanted by your own flesh and blood so I would do anything to make sure he doesn't feel that way." Another sigh. "If only you were honest to me from the start..." A pause. "I don't know what to think or feel right now."

Beep.

"Just get better first, okay? We'll talk this out somehow."

-­‐-­‐-­‐-­‐

A tap on the glass made her look up.

Lisa smiled as soon as she saw the visitor with a gummy smile.

"Can I come in?"

"Depends." Lisa put her pen down.

"On what?"

"On what you'll do to me." Lisa smirked.

Jennie's eyes widened and she shook her head with a finger to her lips.

"Huh? What?" Lisa was confused.

Jennie motioned her head backward and Lisa noticed small hands on Jennie's waist and thigh.

Lisa grimaced. "Oops, sorry," she mouthed silently.

Jennie stifled a laugh. "Well," she continued. "I'll feed you lunch?" She lifted the take away bag in her hands.

"Good enough. Come on in."

"UMMA!!"

Two noisy kids appeared from behind Jennie and ran towards the desk.

Lisa stood up and let the two hug her. "What are you two doing here?"

"Since you left very early today, they insisted that we go visit you," Jennie explained.

"That's nice. Thanks." Lisa ruffled the boy's hair. She then started to tidy up her desk, taking a
ll the important papers away and storing them far from the reach of food stains and dirty hands. "Have you all had lunch?"

"Yup. This is only for you." Jennie took out the plastic container from the bag and set it down on the desk.

"Hey hey, Inho. Don't climb that!" Lisa quickly pulled the boy away from her shelf and set him down on a chair. "Here," she handed him a piece of paper and some highlighters and pencils. "How about you draw me a picture?"

"Mommy, I need to go to the toilet," Heeryung said.

"Oh okay. Let's go then." Jennie stood up and held the girl's hand, guiding her out of the office.

Lisa was about to take a bite when the boy suddenly spoke. "Umma. Do you have blue?"

"Uh..." She set her fork down and went through her penholder. "I have a blue pen." She gave the boy the pen and he continued his drawing.

Two bites later and he spoke again. "Done!" He set the pen down and handed Lisa the paper.

"That's super fast. What did you draw?"

"You."

Lisa laughed. "This is me?" She pointed at the stick figure with what looked like a desk, a chair and a tall bookshelf.

"Yes." He started to play with other stuff on Lisa's desk and Lisa had to take all of them away to prevent him from breaking them. "Here," she stood up and took out the iPad from Jennie's bag. "Play a game or something." She turned it on and gave it to the boy.

He immediately quieted down, focusing on the device in his hands. Lisa took a deep breath of relief and resumed her lunch. Heeryung came back and saw her brother playing. "I want to play too!"

"Wait until your brother's done playing," Lisa said. "Hurry up!" The girl nudged the boy.

"Calm down, Ryung-ah." Jennie took a seat. "Learn to share and be patient. You'll get your turn." Jennie took out a Barbie doll from her bag. "Here, play with Barbie or draw or something."

The girl sulked and rummaged Lisa's desk instead. She found some colorful paper clips and started to play with them, making a long chain.

"Summer vacation's so much fun, isn't it?" Lisa grinned.

Jennie sighed and dropped the Barbie back in her bag. "Can't wait till it's over."

Lisa's phone suddenly rang. She quickly swallowed her food before she picked the device up. She saw the name on the screen and answered. "Hey, Chu."

"Hey. Busy?"

"Nope. Having lunch. Why?"

Jisoo took a deep breath. "I just got a call from the hospital."

Lisa put her fork down and held her breath.

"Aesook's gone," Jisoo continued. "She passed away about an hour ago."

Lisa froze.

Jennie noticed Lisa's face. "What's wrong, Lisa?"

Lisa didn't answer Jennie. "So what now?" She asked Jisoo.

"I'll talk to her lawyer, ask him to read the will as soon as possible and go from there." Jisoo softened her tone. "It's going to be alright, Lis. Inho will not be taken away from you again. You know that any judge would grant you the adoption. You've been doing a great job since the beginning."

Lisa nodded, not realizing that Jisoo couldn't see her.

"Lisa?" Jennie asked again.

Lisa looked up. "Thanks for letting me know. I'll call you back, Chu."

"Sure thing."

Lisa ended the call and took a deep breath. "She err... moved on."

"Who?"

Lisa shifted her eyes towards the boy with the iPad.

Jennie took a second before she finally understood the situation. "Oh. Oh God."

Lisa looked at her watch. "I have to meet a client in an hour. Can you drop them off at your parents'? I'll pick you up later and we'll go to the hospital."

"Sure."

Jennie didn't really know how to react to the news so they just quietly sat there watching their children play.

-­‐-­‐-­‐-­‐

"We're sorry for your loss, Halmeoni." Lisa gave the sniffing woman a quick hug.

"That girl was a good person. Why did all this have to happen to her?" The old woman sobbed again.

Nobody had an answer to that.

"I'm sorry," the woman apologized after wiping her nose. "Thank you for everything you've done for Aesook. I know she had caused you pain but please forgive her? She didn't mean to hurt you or the boy. She just..." The woman started to sniff again. "She just wanted to redeem herself while she still could."

"We know, Halmeoni." Jennie gave the elderly lady a hug. "We've forgiven her."

"T-thank you."

They left the house soon afterward.

The ride back to Seoul was quiet.

"Do you think we should get Inho tested?" Jennie suddenly said.

"What? He's healthy!"

"Just to be safe, Lisa, since we don't know when she exactly got it. I can't handle any more surprises."

Lisa thought about it for a few seconds. "Fine. I'll ask Dr. Park." "Okay."

-­‐-­‐-­‐-­‐

"So he's negative?"

"Yup. He's clean. She must've contracted it after she gave birth to him."

"Whew. Thank goodness. Jennie would be relieved to know. Thanks, Doctor."

"You're welcome, Lisa."

-­‐-­‐-­‐-­‐

"Hi, Sooyoung."

"Hi, Unnie. How are you?"

"I'm good." She took a look around. "Wow, I haven't been here in a while. She redecorated the place?"

Sooyoung nodded. "Just little improvements here and there. You should come up here more often, Unnie." She smiled. "Kinda miss having you around."

Lisa smiled. "Yeah, I kinda miss having a loud noisy office."

"Why not ask Jisoo unnie about partnering up?"

Lisa raised her eyebrows. "I can't be a partner here again."

"I was talking about a partnership between your two firms."

"I'll think about it," Lisa said. "Is she in a meeting?" She noticed the closed door.

"No. Go on in."

"Thanks."

Lisa tapped on the glass door and pushed it open. "Why is this door closed?"

Jisoo was smiling while talking on the phone. She froze at the sound of Lisa's voice. Her smile instantly disappeared. "Err... I'll call you back later, Oppa. Something just came up. No no, nothing serious. Just Lisa. Okay, I'll talk to you later." She quickly hung up and cleared her throat. "What do you want?"

"Oooh! Boyfriend?" Lisa grinned. "Jisoo and Sungmin sitting in a tree..."

"You have two kids, Lis. Grow up." Jisoo balled up a piece of paper and threw it at Lisa.

"Sorry, Miss Chu. It's just fun teasing you." Lisa evaded the flying paper ball and took a seat. "You texted me this morning. About Aesook's will?"

"Oh right." Jisoo took out a piece of paper from the stack of folders on her desk. "Her will has been probated." She showed Lisa the paper. "You and Jennie have been named Inho's legal guardian."

Lisa exhaled in relief. "Can we go ahead and turn that status permanent?"

Jisoo nodded. "Adoption papers are ready for you to fill in." She handed Lisa an envelope.

Lisa smiled. "Dejavu."

Jisoo smiled along. "He's yours for good, Lis. Don't worry about it. Nobody would be able to take him away from you again."

"Let's hope so."

"Relax. Don't think about it. Go take a short trip with them or something. Make sure that boy's fine."

"Yeah, I might just do that. We can't leave him anywhere for longer than a few hours. He's still afraid we won't go back for him." Lisa took a deep breath. "Did I scar him?"

"No, Lis. It might take a while for him to return to his old self but you didn't scar him. One day you'll just have to make sure he understands what happened."

"Yeah." Lisa stood up. "I'll see you. Thanks again." "No problem."

-­‐-­‐-­‐-­‐

"Happy birthday to you!"

The loud claps and cheers filled the spacious garden.

"Make a wish, Inho." Lisa stooped down and clasped the boy's hands together. "Think of something you want."

"I want a new robot!"

The adults laughed.

"Okay. Now blow the candles and you might get what you wished for. Ready? One... two... three..."

The boy leaned forward and blew the six candles with all his might.

"Help him out," Jennie nudged Heeryung who helped her brother blow the candles out.

Everyone clapped again and dispersed after pictures had been taken.

Jennie and her mother started to cut the cake with the help of Sooyoung.

The little party guests continued playing and running around the place for another hour before their parents took them home.

"Thank you for coming, guys." Lisa and Jennie stood at the door, saying goodbye to their friends.

"My pleasure," Jisoo said.

"Yep. I actually had a good time," the man standing next to Jisoo added, still busy trying to finish the cake in the paper plate he was holding.

"Oppa, you've had too much cake." Jisoo cutely sulked with disapproval. The man grinned. "Sorry but this cake is good."

"I packed Jisoo a large chunk so you'll be good for at least two days," Jennie said.

"Thanks, Jennie."

"No problem, Oppa."

"Let's get going."

Lisa and Jennie waved goodbye and watched the cars leave the large mansion.

Jennie took a deep breath. "Can't wait until their birthdays are just nice quiet meals at a restaurant."

Lisa laughed. She wrapped her arms around Jennie's waist and leaned her chin on her shoulder. "That's not for another five years, at least."

Jennie leaned back against Lisa. "I can't remember the last time we went on our getaway." She closed her eyes and relaxed.

"It was shortly before Inho's fifth birthday so more than a year ago." Lisa paused. "Time to go on another one?"

Jennie nodded. "I think Inho's fine now. Mom said he only asked for us twice when we left him here for a whole day last week."

"Then let's go." Lisa turned Jennie around in her hold and pecked her lips. "Where to, Miss Kim?"

Jennie smiled. "Somewhere close, just one weekend. Let's not scare him again."

She wrapped her arms around Lisa's neck. "Remember our first getaway?"

She kissed Lisa slowly.

"How could I forget?" Lisa smiled and pulled back. "You tried to call your mother every chance you got."

Jennie grinned. "So back to Japan?"

"Sure. Anywhere's fine with me." Lisa pulled Jennie closer. "We'd be spending most of our time at the hotel anyway," she whispered in Jennie's ear, kissed her cheek and smirked.

Jennie laughed. "Pervert." She gave Lisa another quick peck. "I love you."

"I love you too. I'm so glad we're in this together."

"Me too. I'm so glad you were half drunk that night." Jennie chuckled.

"Oh you mean the night you took advantage of me?"

"Err... I remember you actively participating so I wasn't exactly taking advantage of you."

"You seduced me with tears."

Jennie laughed out loud. "What?!"

"Admit it. You knew I wouldn't be able to resist you when you're all sad and lost like that."

"I was genuinely sad and lost, okay? You were in denial."

"I couldn't possibly tell my client that I might be falling for her, could I? Remember the mess afterward?"

Jennie winced at the memory. "Yeah. I thought I had lost you."

"That would never happen." Lisa smiled. "I was more than thrilled to know that you felt more or less the same way. I just had to make sure that it wasn't some silly infatuation."

"Was that why you wanted to start over? Be friends first?"

Lisa nodded. "That and the fact that I was scared to commit to something I thought would never last anyway."

"Yet here we are." Jennie smiled.

"Yup. Here we are." Lisa returned the smile and leaned in to kiss Jennie gently. "And there's nowhere else I'd rather be. Even if I have to go through everything all over again, I wouldn't mind as long as I have you with me."

"That's so cheesy." Jennie leaned her head down on Lisa's shoulder. "I don't want to go through all that again but if I have to then I would choose to do it with you too."

"Thanks." Lisa kissed the top of Jennie's head. "Now let's go back inside before they start looking for us."

Jennie lifted her head and let go of Lisa, taking hold of her hand.

Lisa laced their fingers together and pulled Jennie inside.

-­‐-­‐-­‐-­‐

"Where were you?" Jennie turned the TV off and stood up from the couch, folding her arms.

"Hello to you too," Lisa answered. She took off her shoes and jacket. "I'm tired, Nini. Whatever it is, can we argue about it tomorrow?" Lisa walked in and went straight upstairs.

Jennie followed Lisa into their room. "You forgot, didn't you?"

"What?" Lisa half threw her bags on the chair and headed to the bathroom.

Jennie was still following Lisa. She leaned on the doorway, watching Lisa taking off her suit and shirt. "Why didn't you answer my calls or reply my messages?"

"I was in court all day and my phone was on silent mode." Lisa sighed. "Just get to the point please. What did I forget?"

"What day is it today?" Jennie asked.

"A day when I had a very long and exhausting day at court just to come home to an inexplicably angry wife," Lisa answered tiredly. She saw Jennie's unhappy expression through the mirror. "Sigh... Wednesday?"

Jennie shook her head and left the bathroom.

Lisa didn't even have the energy to think more about what was upsetting Jennie. She quickly stepped in the shower and stood under the hot stream of water while closing her eyes, forgetting the draining day and the tough case she was handling.

She stepped out of the bathroom to find an empty bedroom. She weighed her options and although the bed was calling her, she knew that she should try to talk to Jennie before it got worse.

Lisa dragged her feet downstairs and saw the light in the kitchen. She walked in to see Jennie putting plates and glasses back in the cupboard. She frowned and looked at the dining table still decorated with a vase of flowers and empty candleholders.

"Oh shoot!" Lisa smacked her forehead.

She quickly made her way towards the silent Jennie and hugged her from behind, stopping Jennie's movements.

"I'm sorry. I'm really really sorry. I thought it's tomorrow."

Jennie said nothing. She pulled a drawer open and put the cutleries in it.

"Nini, I'm really sorry. Please forgive me? I'll make it up to you."

Jennie sighed. "I thought I'd surprise you with a nice dinner but you didn't even remember let alone call."

"I'm sorry. This whole case has been so messy, I..." Lisa stopped herself. "No excuses. I'm sorry." She tried to turn Jennie around. "Please forgive me?"

"I sent the kids away and even tried to cook..." Jennie sniffed.

"Don't cry. Please don't cry? I'm sorry. I'm truly deeply very sorry." Lisa kissed Jennie, wiping her cheeks with her hands.

Jennie didn't say anything.

"I'm sorry." Lisa pulled Jennie and held her tight. "I'll make it up to you."

Jennie calmed herself down.

"Nini-yah... Please forgive me?" Lisa let go of Jennie and searched her eyes. "Please? I've never forgotten before so please have mercy? I promise to never forget again. Ever! I got you something too, I just..." She sighed. "Please?"

Jennie finally looked up and saw Lisa's remorseful eyes. She took a deep breath. "You'll make it up to me?"

"I will. I promise." Lisa kissed Jennie's forehead. "I promise."

"Okay then. You're forgiven."

Lisa exhaled in relief. "Thank you." She lifted Jennie's face and kissed her. "Happy anniversary, Nini. I love you."

"Happy anniversary, Lili. You're not really loveable right now though."

"Hey, I thought you've forgiven me?"

"That doesn't mean I've forgotten about what you've done."

"Okay, I deserve that. I'm sorry." Lisa kissed Jennie again. "I can't believe we've finally reached double digits."

"And yet you manage to totally forget about it."

"I said I'm sorry, Nini." Lisa pulled back.

"Sigh, it's been a long day for me too." Jennie let go of Lisa and pushed her away. She cleared the rest of the things on the dining table with Lisa watching her quietly, still feeling very guilty for what she had done.

"Turn the lights off on your way out." Jennie walked out of the kitchen.

Lisa sighed and did as she was told. She followed Jennie quietly up to their room.

"Nini..."

Jennie said nothing. She got into her side of the bed and eased herself under the covers, pulling it high to cover her face.

Lisa turned the lights off and climbed on the bed as well. She turned and hugged Jennie from behind.

"I love you," she whispered in Jennie's ear. "I'm sorry, Nini. I'll make it up to you, okay? I'll make it up to you."

The exhaustion took over her and Lisa fell asleep almost as soon as she closed her eyes.

-­‐-­‐-­‐-­‐

Jennie woke up to an empty bed.

She had heard Lisa's alarm going off early in the morning but chose to just ignore it and go back to sleep.

She sighed out loud. She knew that Lisa didn't do it on purpose and that it was just because of the current case she was handling but that didn't lessen her disappointment.

She was looking forward to celebrate their tenth anniversary but now it was just a bad memory that left her with a bad lingering feeling.

She kicked the covers away and heard a soft rustling of papers.

She frowned and unfolded the messy heap to see a piece of paper and a small box.

She picked up the paper and read.

"I love you. I'm sorry. I promise I'll make it up to you as soon as this crazy case ends. Happy 10th anniversary, Nini. I swear I will never forget again. I'll see you tonight.

P.S: If you can make them stay at your parents' for another night, please do."

She couldn't help but smile at the short message. She took the box and opened it to see a diamond ring similar to the one Lisa gave her when she asked her to marry her. The only difference was that this one has a pink diamond and an inscription inside the band. She peered at it.

"10 down 990 to go. I love you."

She laughed. "Cheesy dork." She replaced the ring on her finger with the new one and smiled as she stared at it. "I can never stay mad at you," she shook her head and chuckled, feeling better.

She took her phone and texted Lisa.

"Are you busy?"

A reply soon came. "Just about to head to court again. Did you get my note?"

"Yes. Thank you."

"I'm really sorry, Nini. Won't happen again, I swear. The day just slipped my mind since it was so hectic but it's not like I forget the date or anything. I've prepared for it, as you can see."

"I know. It's okay. You're forgiven this time." Jennie added a smiley.

"Thanks. I have to go now. I'll see you tonight. Love you."

"I love you too."

"Whew. Thank goodness."

Jennie laughed.

-­‐-­‐-­‐-­‐

"Ta‐da!" Lisa jumped on the bed and waved a piece of paper in Jennie's face. "Second part of your surprise."

"What is that? Another cheesy note?" Jennie grabbed it and read. "Maldives? For a week?!"

"Yup. You've always wanted to go there. I thought this would be the perfect time to finally fulfill that little wish of yours." Lisa grinned. "I heard that it's quiet and private and secluded..." She snatched the paper from Jennie's hands, letting it fall to the ground. "Perfect for a second honeymoon." Lisa leaned down and kissed Jennie.

"I must say that you're making it up quite nicely, Manoban." Jennie smiled, wrapping her arms around Lisa's neck and pulling her down on top of her.

"That's a relief." Lisa then pulled back after a minute. "I'm really sorry, Nini."

"It's fine. You didn't do it on purpose."

"Please don't think that it's not important to me?"

"Of course not! I just wished that you were not so busy. I miss you."

"I miss you too. It's only temporary, Nini. Just bad timing, I guess. This lawsuit is complicated."

"I know. It's just... the kids have been missing you too."

"We'll take them to Disneyland or something for Christmas holiday." Lisa took a deep breath. "Hang in there just a little bit longer? Just think of Maldives next month." Lisa kissed Jennie again.

Jennie returned the kiss. "I will. Thank you."

"My pleasure. And thanks for sending them away again tonight." Lisa pressed Jennie further down on the mattress, her hands fumbling with Jennie's pajama buttons.

"I told them you'd buy them that game console they've been whining about."

"What?!" Lisa lifted her head.

"It's getting harder to persuade them these days. Besides, it'll be worth your while." Jennie smirked and pushed Lisa, turning them over so she was now on top of the other woman. "Trust me." She leaned down and kissed Lisa hungrily, grabbing her by the collar.

Lisa grinned and threw a victorious air punch before she grabbed Jennie and pulled her down.

-­‐-­‐-­‐-­‐

"Hey, Mom?" The young man threw his bag down on the couch.

"Hm?" Jennie didn't look up from her laptop.

"I got a letter from a Mr. Shin Daejung." He raised his eyebrows. "From Park & Partners law firm?" He flipped the envelope.

"Oh?" Jennie finally looked up. "Open it."

"Why would a lawyer send me a letter?" He mumbled as he ripped the envelope open. "Shouldn't it be addressed to Umma or something?"

"I'm not sure but the name sounds familiar." Jennie furrowed her brows, trying to remember.

He took out the folded papers and read. His eyes widened and he grew quiet.

"What is it?" Jennie asked.

He gave her the first page, bearing a short paragraph of neat printed text.

Jennie read it.

"Dear Mr. Jung,

As your late birthmother's attorney, I hereby send you a letter that she wrote you when you were young. Her specific instruction was to mail it to you after you turn eighteen.

I hope this could give some sort of closure to you, Mr. Jung.

With kind regards,

Shin Daejung"

She held her breath and eyed the boy who was reading intently. She waited until he was done to see his reaction.

The young man took a deep breath and folded the papers again.

"Are you okay?" Jennie asked.

"Yeah. It's not much different than what you've been telling me all this time."

"She explained everything?"

He nodded, putting the paper back in the envelope.

"I hope you realize how much she loved you."

He quietly stood up and left the kitchen.

-­‐-­‐-­‐-­‐

"What does the letter say?" Lisa closed the dishwasher.

"I don't know. He said that it's not much different than what we've been telling him all this time." Jennie washed her hands.

"Oh? Which is?" Lisa leaned on the counter next to the sink.

Jennie shrugged. "I didn't want to pry."

"Did he look okay?"

"Not sure."

As if on cue, the door opened and the young man in question walked inside. He was about to head to his room when Lisa called him.

"Inho."

"What, Umma?"

"I heard your mother sent you a letter."

"Yeah so?"

"Are you okay?"

"Why wouldn't I be?"

"I don't know. You tell me."

He sighed. "It's nothing new, Umma. Don't worry." He made a turn to go up the stairs.

"Talk to us, Inho. Don't bottle it up," Jennie said.

"There's nothing to bottle up. She had me by accident, gave me away, tried to take me away from you then conveniently died. Old story."

"Hey, come on." Lisa said.

"It's the truth."

"It's not like that."

"Then what is it like?" He looked at the two women defiantly. Anger and resentment were burning in his eyes. "I didn't remember much but I remember waking up from a bad dream one time, in a room I didn't recognize and you weren't there."

"We're sorry, Inho-yah," Jennie meekly said.

"I'm not blaming you, Mom. I'm blaming her."

"She was only trying to make you realize that she loved you and that she would do anything to let you know that."

"By taking me away from my home? Right. That's very loving." He scoffed.

"Inho," Lisa spoke calmly yet sternly. "She was young, she panicked and made bad decisions. It doesn't mean that she didn't love you. She worked hard to turn her life around and went through all the trouble to prove to you that she wanted you." Lisa paused. "We're not defending what she did nor do we approve. But as parents, we understand why she did what she did." Lisa took a deep breath. "All she wanted was for you to not feel abandoned or unwanted by her. I have no parents of my own too, remember? I know the feeling, Inho‐yah."

"Then you know why I still can't accept what she did."

"It's your choice. Just don't hate her. She tried, Inho. She really did."

The boy shook his head and went up to his room.

Lisa and Jennie heard the door shut. They looked at each other and Lisa shook her head. "Let him be. He'll get it one day."

-­‐-­‐-­‐-­‐

"Hey, Noona..."

The disheveled young lady groaned. "Why do you always have to call me at an ungodly hour? Convert the time!" She reached out to turn on a small light.

Inho grinned. "The hair's very attractive. I'll screenshot and post it online."

"Yah! I'll kill you!"

He laughed. "You're awake now?"

"Half. What's up?" She yawned.

He adjusted his phone camera. "I got a letter today from that woman."

"She's your mother, Inho. Be respectful."

"Whatever."

"Hey, you know better than this."

"Why is everybody on my case? She messed up, okay? Stop defending her! You sound just like Mom and Umma!"

"I'm not defending her. Neither do Mom and Umma. I still remember what happened and I certainly do not like her for that."

"Then stop telling me to be nice."

"She's still your mother, Inho, no matter what. The least you can do is respect the dead." She yawned. "Besides, it's not like she was a cruel person. I remember her being nice to us when she stayed with us for a short while."

The young man sighed.

"What did the letter say?" Heeryung asked.

"She told me about her and my father and what happened after she gave birth to me. Basically a complete story of what happened and how sorry she was."

"Isn't that a good thing? The fact that she bothered to explain everything to you and planned to do so when you're old enough to understand kinda show how much she loved you. Don't you think so?"

He said nothing.

"Look, I know she didn't exactly do the right thing but hey, at least you know that your mother fought for you. I don't even know who my parents are."

"Your parents didn't abandon you, Noona."

"And your mother tried to redeem herself for that mistake." She took a deep breath. "Put yourself in her shoes, Inho-yah. Let's say you suddenly have a baby with your girlfriend tomorrow. What would you do?"

"Err... Tell Umma and Mom about it?"

"Really? You're not scared to do that?"

"Of course I would be but I don't think I'd have a choice."

"And what if they throw you out and don't want to have anything to do with you or your baby?"

"They're not like that!"

"What if, Inho-yah. What if this happens? Do you think you'll be able to take care of your baby? Especially when you're just a seventeen year old girl without a place to go?"

He sighed. "Probably not," he muttered.

"Your mother made bad choices but that doesn't mean she's a bad person." The young woman paused. "I used to hate her too, you know that. I saw you crying like the world was ending and I saw Mom break down." She gulped. "I don't think I can ever forget the image of her freaking out like that and Umma helplessly trying to calm her down. But now I realize that you can't have everything going well all the time, yet that also doesn't mean you can't get over it." She smiled. "I'm just glad we end up with them no matter what other people say."

He took a deep breath. "Guess so."

"Trust me, we're lucky. I've seen friends with abusive parents or divorced parents or parents who just don't give a damn. Or what about those who grow up without parents? Like Umma."

He said nothing.

"Let it go, Inho-yah. I know you can. Heck, I did."

He still didn't reply.

"If you're going to continue staying silent like this then go do it alone. I need my beauty sleep."

He grinned. "Even hibernating isn't going to help you, Noona."

"Shut up."

"Fine. Go back to sleep you lazy woman. This is why you don't have a boyfriend."

"Hey! For your information, I'm close with at least two guys right now."

He rolled his eyes. "Let me guess. One is grandpa and the other is me?"

"Shut up! I'm talking about real living same aged boys."

He laughed. "Shall I alert Mom and Umma then?"

"I'll kill you."

He grinned. "Thanks, Noona."

"No problem. You'll pay for it anyway as soon as you're here."

He groaned. "You're going to make me clean the apartment, aren't you?"

"Among other things." She grinned and yawned again. "God, it's still so dark out. I have class in a few hours. I'm hanging up."

"Fine. Go back to sleep, lazy pig."

"Bye, ugly monkey."

"Bye."

He waved then hung up.

-­‐-­‐-­‐-­‐

"Make sure you listen to your noona? And please don't go to wild parties or sleep around?" Jennie said.

"Mom, please!" He rolled his eyes. "I'll be fine. I will dedicate myself to be Noona's slave for four years, okay?"

"Try to get a degree while you're at it," Lisa said, grinning with glistening eyes.

"Yes, Ma'am." He saluted her and stooped down to hug her. "Bye, Umma."

"Bye," Lisa tiptoed and held on tight. "Take care of your Noona, okay?" He nodded, fighting back his own tears.

Lisa let go and patted his shoulder. "I can't believe I used to carry you around."

"I grow, Umma. Unlike you."

"Ungrateful little..."

He laughed and hugged Jennie next. "Bye, Mom. Please don't worry? I'll be fine. I will not repeat my parents' mistake so no sleeping around for me."

Jennie said nothing. Her tears had begun to trickle down her cheeks. She reluctantly let go of him. "Take care of each other, you hear me?" She patted his cheek.

He nodded. "I'll come home for Christmas."

"Err... actually, just come home during summer," Lisa said. "Longer break."

He raised his eyebrows. "I smell something fishy. You two are going to party, aren't you?" He pointed at the two.

Jennie chuckled as she wiped her tears. "We deserve a break."

"So you're happy to finally get rid of us? Are those fake tears, Mom?" He shook his head in mock disdain and grinned. "Have fun," he kissed Jennie's cheek and then Lisa's cheek.

He bid his farewell to his grandparents and waved to everyone as he disappeared behind the glass doors.

Lisa sighed and held Jennie's hand. "There he goes." Jennie was still sniffing.

Lisa pulled Jennie in for a hug and kissed her forehead. "He'll be back. They'll both be back."

Jennie's parents said their goodbyes and they parted outside the large hall.

"So what do you want to do now? We have the whole house to ourselves again." Lisa chuckled. "After seventeen long years..."

Jennie straightened up and smiled. "It will be creepily quiet though."

"Yeah. No door slamming or adolescent rage. But look on the bright side, we don't have to lock the door or sneak around anymore." Lisa grinned.

Jennie laughed. "Once a pervert always a pervert."

Lisa pulled Jennie's hand and they headed to the car park. "Have you ever thought we'd end up this way?"

"Not in a million years. But I'm glad we're here, in spite of everything."

Lisa nodded. "Our 20th anniversary is coming up. What do you want to do this time?"

"Third honeymoon?" Jennie grinned. She lifted her hand. "And another diamond won't hurt."

Lisa laughed. "Give me some time to recover, okay? We've just paid for Inho's tuition."

They reached the car and stopped.

"Let's go surprise them." Jennie turned towards Lisa and pulled her close.

"You wanna go to New Zealand?" Lisa grabbed Jennie's waist.

"Why not? It's been a while since I've been there. We could nag them for a few days and travel around the country." Jennie leaned down and kissed Lisa. "Just you and me."

"Hm... can we go to Hawaii? I really want to go back there." "Sure. Anywhere you want." Jennie deepened the kiss. "Car park? Really?" Lisa pulled back and grinned.

"Fine. Let's go home then. Fast." Jennie let go of Lisa and pulled impatiently at the door handle.

Lisa chuckled. "Yes, Miss Kim."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

85.3K 935 2
✨ NOW A FREE eBOOK! ✨ Allison doesn't think much of her strange encounter with a psychic, until she wakes up the next morning with her yes's coming o...
599K 9.3K 87
A text story set place in the golden trio era! You are the it girl of Slytherin, the glue holding your deranged friend group together, the girl no...
663K 30K 21
"I'm Jennie, your girlfriend." Lalisa Manoban thought nothing was weirder than herself until a certain brunette barged into her life and claimed to b...
384K 11.3K 21
Lisa was a fat kid. And as a cliché, as it is but she was bullied by some kids. Then here comes Jennie, the first person she played with and her firs...