The Serpent's Enigma

By tomgaryens

‟Tonight shall be the first and last night that we spend together, Gianita, for I do not intend to produce he... More

𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑺𝒆𝒓𝒑𝒆𝒏𝒕'𝒔 𝑬𝒏𝒊𝒈𝒎𝒂
1 | A Lonesome Bride
2 | The Art of Getting By
3 | Of Books and Dragons
4 | A Library Rendezvous
5 | Serendipity
6 | Riding Dragons and Erecting Temples
7 | A Step Closer
8 | Belong to You
9 | Lady of Charms
10 | An Invisible Wall
11 | The One and Only
12 | A Lionlike Snake
13 | In Memoriam
14 | Obey Me
15 | The Empress' Ensemble
16 | In Season
17 | Thirst
18 | B-U-T (Be-U-Tee)
19 | The Little Serpent
20 | A Family Portrait
21 | Rose Gold and Champagne
22 | Mind, Body and Soul
24 | Broken Beyond Repair
25 | A Consolation Gift
26 | Indecent Proposal
27 | The Pickle Emperor
28 | The Right Hand Path
29 | The Five Muses
30 | The Long Game
𝑾𝒐𝒓𝒍𝒅𝒃𝒖𝒊𝒍𝒅𝒊𝒏𝒈 🌏 🏴
31 | An Untimely Confession
32 | Long Time Coming
33 | Into the Woods
34 | Disarranged Thoughts
35 | He's My Son
36 | Mother
37 | Anything in the World
38 | Mane and Tail
39 | A Distinctive Scent
40 | Unscrewing the Lid
41 | The Scarlet Woman - Part I
41 | The Scarlet Woman - Part II
42 | Thorny Flower
𝑭𝒂𝒎𝒊𝒍𝒚 𝑻𝒓𝒆𝒆
43 | Wetter than the Rain
44 | A Night to Remember
45 | Afterglow
46 | Masquerade - Part I
46 | Masquerade - Part II
47 | Brave
48 | Resurgence
49 | Discombobulated
50 | Unsettling
51 | Midnight Cravings
52 | Redefined
53 | Believe - Part I
53 | Believe - Part II
54 | The Big Twist
55 | Legacy
56 | In Trouble
57 | Suspicion
58 | The Greatest Gift
59 | Revelation
60 | Checkmate
61 | Worth Fighting For
62 | Dominion
63 | The Eagle's Flight
Finale
Epilogue 1| The Queen
Epilogue 2 | The Empress
🎵 𝑷𝒍𝒂𝒚𝒍𝒊𝒔𝒕 🎶

23 | Twenty-Eight

15.8K 785 362
By tomgaryens

As his eyes flickered open, Cal saw Gigi staring at him, face flushed and befuddled. Oh, so she did not remember, after all. How she had groped him in public and begged him to stay the night, even asking him to make a daughter with her?

Interesting. Maybe he could use it to his advantage?

"Oh, good morning, Gi." He stirred, keeping a calm charade. "Sleep well?"

She looked so cute the first time in the morning, and he was once again fighting with himself not to pull her in for a morning kiss. His heart clenched, remembering this was the first time they had spent a night together.

His poor wife...

If only it never happened... If he was not a broken man from the start of their marriage... If only.

"S-Sire..." A few strands of her hair came loose in a messy wave. Oh, how he'd love to tug on them, making it come undone as she screams his name. "What happened last night?"

"You got drunk," he answered in a sleepy voice, stretching his arms. "You could barely stand on your feet, so I brought you here to be safe. You begged me to stay, so I did."

He wasn't lying, was he? Only skipping over the provocative parts to preserve her dignity.

Gigi looked baffled, second-guessed herself. How could her puzzled expression be so adorable?

"Sire, did I do things to you when I was drunk?"

"No," he put his arms under his head. "Not ones that would offend me, no."

Her eyes widened, weighing her own response. "...What about the ones that did not offend you?"

Oh, darling. Did you have to make this harder for yourself?

"You pulled me into your bed and we talked a little," Cal answered nonchalantly. "Now can we go back to sleep? I'm knackered."

"...That's all?"

Also squeezed his ass and asked him to make a baby daughter, but better keep it a secret for now.

He nodded a few times.

Gigi didn't look a bit convinced. However, she paid no mind as he moved to spoon her, burying his nose in the crook of her neck. Cal closed his eyes, indulging himself in her soothing scent. Then suddenly she squeaked, face burning as her eyes crept down toward his groin.

Oh. His morning glory, it had arisen in the morning alongside him and seemed just as happy to greet Gigi as he was. Heheheh.

Before it gets any more awkward, they broke apart. Cal scolded himself inside for missing yet another chance to satisfy her womanly desire and his own.

Coward.

"S-Sire... I think we... should..."

"Go see Junior? He's supposedly awake at this hour," Cal cut in, saving them from their awkwardness. Junior was a safe topic that they both loved. His son had always been there to save the day.

"O-Of course, I'd love to go see Junior!" Gigi's face lit up in an instant.

Getting some time to freshen up, she joined him to head to his palace wing. Their chambers were not too far from each other's, but there was still a bit of walking to get there.

Last night's revelry had left some traces in the palace. They passed by a few guests who might have gotten drunk and passed out along the palace passageways, too tired to reach their own rooms. Since a number of them had come from afar, they were allowed to stay at the palace.

By the time they reached his private quarters, Junior was still asleep, sprawled across the king-sized bed. With books and coloured pens scattered all over the sheets, it was evident that the adults weren't the ones having a party last night. Junior even had the defiance to doodle on the covers.

"Your place is really nice," Gigi said, stepping into his bedroom; a hint of sadness visible in her voice.

Someday, they should have a place together, he'd make sure of it. He was only asking for a bit more time. One day, when he gets stronger.

"Junior," Cal ran his fingers through his son's soft black locks, as Gigi looked on with interest. "Baby, wake up." Junior's lids fluttered, squinting at the light entering his eyes. Seeing his father, he whined and curled up into the pillows. Cal chuckled. "Junior, look who's here."

Gazing upon Gigi, Junior's midnight blue eyes lingered for a moment before crawled into her lap at last; resuming his sleep.

"Well, I don't think I'd be able to go back now," Gigi simpered, petting the back of Junior's neck. The boy mumbled some inaudible words into her lap in response.

Cal's heart blossomed at the sight. Placing his right hand atop his son's back, he wrapped his left around her shoulders. His little family, just how it should be.

***

Assuming Gigi could no longer upstage the pink dress from last night, Cal was thoroughly mistaken. His wife donned a full Prajan kebaya, a silver brocade body with an open neck; the high slit on her fawn batik skirt flashed a glimpse of her slender legs. With a lace silver parasol and a pair of gloves, she was the most beautiful thing he'd ever laid his eyes on.

Even with the silk golden suit she had him made, he felt like a background character.

It was his birthday, and he matched her.

A massive crowd already gathered in palace ground for the carnival, even more so than last night. Today's event was family-friendly, and it drove more people to visit. Cal would like to use it as an example for an open-house event he proposed for the palace.

"Tonton!" Junior rushed toward Philippe, who arrived with his parents. The blonde caught him under his armpits and raised him high in the air.

"Mon neveu chéri, you're getting taller!" Philippe exclaimed, swaying Junior side to side. "Heavier too."

"I am going to be bigger than you soon," Junior said pompously. "When did you arrive?"

"Le soir, at your Papa's party."

Junior gasped. "Oh, you met Mak Lampir?"

"Happy birthday, my dear." His aunt Marlene came forward to give him a hug. Though her eyes were grey like his father, she no doubt looked like a living incarnation of their first empress; Orianne.

"Look at you, your mother and father would've been proud," his uncle, Pierre, added. As the Duke of Archambault, he served to oversee Angletonia's northern border.

"Merci, Oncle," he grinned. "This is my wife Gigi."

"So this is my niece-in-law," he took Gigi's hand in a strong, solid grip. "I am so sorry, to have missed the wedding. This old man is becoming more useless day by day."

"An honour to see you, Your Grace. And please, don't blame yourself. I know we would rather prioritize your health." Gigi replied, articulate as she'd always been.

"What 'Grace'? We don't do that here," Pierre cackled, wiggling a finger before his face.

Gigi pressed her lips together, but Cal laughed it off. "Don't get your hopes up, Oncle. Do you know what she calls me? 'Sire'."

"Such a strong sense of propriety. My brother would've approved you," Marlene chuckled.

A moment later, they were approached by the Prime Minister and his family.

"Happy birthday, Your Majesty," the Prime Minister bowed.

"Thank you, Castellano. I hope you enjoy the party." Cal nodded with a polite smile.

"Meet my daughter Joséfina," the Prime Minister gestured toward a young woman behind him. Cal remembered her from her presentation in his father's court a couple of years ago.

"Happy birthday, Your Majesty." The brunette curtsied. "The Empress and I have met before, Papa. She invited me to the palace and had gifted me a few of her precious wardrobe pieces."

"Oh yes, we have," Gigi beamed. "Sire, Miss Joséfina were among the ones who took interest in my design.

"They're most treasured," Joséfina turned to Philippe. "Oh gosh, what a cute vest!" she exclaimed, referring to his dusty rose pink vest.

"Merci. I was merely inspired by the Empress' dress from last night," replied Philippe.

"Isn't she an inspiration!" she chirped and Gigi blushed.

"Oh no, there are two of them," Cal snickered.

"Josie," the Prime Minister warned.

"C'est bon, not many people have praised me in this colour, not even my own mother," Philippe smirked, Marlene shook his head. "May I escort you, Mademoiselle?" he offered an arm to Joséfina.

"Oh, enchantée." She glanced back at her father for approval, linking her arm with Phillipe as they walked off.

In the midst of the event, a band of musicians appeared and walked down the main path, playing the birthday jingle and throwing confetti. They slowly broke apart to make way for a man holding the reins on a beautiful pearl-coated horse.

"Happy birthday, Sire!" Gigi cheered, kissing his cheek.

"But, you've given me a gift last night!" Cal rushed to the horse with Gigi keeping up behind him. "Hello, beautiful. How have you been?" Steadily, he approached the horse from its side with his arm stretched out.

The horse had its ears forward, a little unsure after being released from its handler. But soon it came over, smelling and nuzzling his hand.

"There you go. That's a good boy." Cal caressed the side of its neck. Not everyone might comprehend his love for horses, but to him, they're such dashing, magnificent creatures. Riding them taught him a lot about a mutual respect.

Something humans tend to ignore.

"She's a girl," Gigi corrected. "A Prajan breed."

"She's gorgeous, just as you, my darling," He stroked her golden coat, giving Gigi his brilliant smile. She had the mare shipped halfway across the world for him?

Despite his wish to spend the rest of the day cajoling the new mare, Cal eventually had to let go and rejoin the carnival, which showcased a lot of performances. A snake whisperer brought in many, many snakes of various colours and sizes, but the audience was most mesmerized by the ten feet python that coiled around his shoulders.

One time the snake lunged toward Cal—who flinched and scampered away at the touch—making Gigi laugh hysterically. Meanwhile, Junior looked on with amazement, even asking to touch the snake.

As the night fell, the carnival had morphed into a little twinkle-town. Junior was very excited to be allowed up late for once. Philippe had taken him to play games at the booths and tried some corn dogs at a grill station.

With their son occupied, Cal used the opportunity to whisk his wife away from the crowd. Taking her to the highest tower in the palace, they tried out a new elevator that was installed not very long ago. Gigi showed much interest in learning to operate it.

An image of him cornering her against the elevator wall and smashing his lips to hers crossed his mind, but... no such luck.

Stepping onto the balcony, Gigi let out a delightful sight at the view around them; the twinkling lights from the festival, the cars passing by the roads outside and even the buildings in the capital.

"It's like a sea of stars..."

"I had a feeling that you would like it up here."

"Look, I think that's Philippe and Junior! He's taking him to the—" Her breath hitched as his arms circled her waist. "Sire?"

"Can we stay like this for a while?" Cal whispered, pressing his chest against her back.

Placing her hands over his, Gigi relaxed against him. "As long as you wish for."

Time was ticking closer to midnight, the people on the ground were all set and prepared to light up the fireworks. Philippe laid the sleeping Junior under a canopy; the boy could no longer hold his eyes open even if his life depended on it.

"Where's His Majesty?" the crowds started murmuring. Nobody seemed to know, but then something caught one's eye, leading them to pointed up at the towers where two figures embraced on the balcony.

"There he is! Up there!"

"Well then." Philippe raised his head up at the view. "Since His Majesty's currently occupied, I think the firework celebration should be ours!"

The crowd rejoiced with him.

Upon the balcony, Cal and Gigi were oblivious to the goings-on down below.

"Gi..." Cal muttered, breaking the blissful, lingering silence between them. "Are you happy here with me?"

"...Yes. I couldn't imagine being happier with anyone else."

Wrong, she was so wrong.

Closing his eyes, he felt them hit him again. Guilt. Sadness. Fear.

Anger; at himself.

Twenty-Eight years old, and still so weak.

Placing his fingers under her chin, he turned her to him, boring into her deep brown eyes, seeking answers. How could she be so kind? He had not given her anything to be worthy of such devotion.

Gigi flashed him one of her gleaming smiles. "Sire, I never thanked you. For making me a part of your family, for trusting me with your son, for choosing me. I feel that since I've been here I've become a better version of myself. I wouldn't, had you not support me."

Thank him? Cal stared at her perplexed.

All the while, Philippe made some of the footmen lit up the fireworks, before leading the countdown to Cal's birthday. "Ready everybody? Es-tu prêt?" He stood amongst the crowds. "Counting down in five... four... three... two..." 

Cal saw fireworks being reflected in Gigi's dark eyes. So, it was already midnight.

A hand crept up to his face, entangling itself in his hair and caressed his cheekbones. "Sire... My husband, happy twenty-eighth birthday."

Her lips came upon his, and he eagerly complied, giving her what was long overdue ever since they rode together on his horse that morning.

How long had it been since he had tasted her, feel her? Cal's mind shut down altogether, unable to feel or think of anything that was not Gigi. She was as sweet as the candies she had at the carnival. Her desire was palpable as her feverish body pressed against him, yearning. Covetous and impassioned, yet demure. Her fingers clutched the lapel of his suit, bold and wanting.

At the nudge of his tongue, her lips parted coyly to grant him entrance.

She held him firm, refusing to break apart even just a slight. As if she was afraid that he would disappear if she didn't, or that he would vanish if she ever let go.

Perhaps he might.

If only she knew.

A hand came up to her breast, kneading them deliciously, evoking a luscious moan. She pressed herself more into his palm, encouraging. Her nipples peaked against the lace she was wearing, he rubbed his thumb against them, emitting a lustful gasp.

He knew now she could feel his arousal against her thighs.

Pulling him by his waist, she removed them from the balcony, bringing them inside into a corner. Her eyes showed the passion aflame in the brief moment they broke apart.

Pressing her against a wall, his hips ground against hers, making her breathless.

She reached behind to squeeze his ass, and he let out a long moan against the crook of her neck.

"Please, don't stop," she pleaded, clinging onto him for her dear life as he continued rubbing against her. Her words were muffled as he sank his teeth into her neck, sucking on her collarbone.

Her fingers found their way up to his thigh, cupping his arousal.

"Oh, Gi..." he sighed.

She was a little clumsy, but good enough to send him to the nines.

"Sire..." Gigi panted, still stroking and squeezed him through his pants.

"Gigi... I lo—"

A similar scene, a kindred scenario reappeared in his mind. When he was lured away, beseeched and captured under the guise of a woman he loved. With that, came the chilling voice that haunted the back of his mind.

"Didn't I tell you, my Prince? You are mine."

His eyes shot open and he froze, stopping anything that they were enjoying at that moment. His vision soon grew blurry with tears.

What if this keeps going on? Would she reappear to him amidst their intimacy, risking Gigi seeing him when he was most vulnerable? Would he be ready to show her his wounds only to have her disbelieving him like the rest of them?

Faintly, he could see the image of him, bare and exposed, while she turned away in disgust. Then he— would be chained to her again.

As if sensing his fear, the voice kept ringing in his ears.

"Haven't you learn anything? You can only touch me."

Please, make it stop.

"You can only love me."

Make it stop! Make it stop, stop, stop!

"Stop!" he shouted.

At his arms, Gigi jumped, alarmed. "...Sire?"

The look on her face. He felt even more pathetic than he'd ever been.

"Did I do something wrong?" her eyes glimmered in sadness.

No, my love. You were perfect. It was me. I am a broken man.

"I..." It was too painful, having to vomit those words out. "I... I think I'm too tired tonight, I don't feel so well. Can we just go back?"

Broken beyond repair.

.·。.·゜·༺♥༻ ·゜·。.

Okay, who's heartbroken?  😂

Cal & Gigi's wardrobe for the Birthday Carnival

I'd like to feature a banner created by mindisequaltoblown ,
a winner of the giveaway
& a member of Junior's cult 🤣

They said that Gigi's was made in a different style, since she's not born Leroy. I find it interesting that they made Gigi took her husband's name as her middle name since in my country only First Ladies are addressed to that way. Great job!!

Anyways, I hope that you all would not give up on C-Gi. 😂
Cal needs healing, obviously, so he can face his issues before they could have a fully-functional marriage. But first, he needs to be honest with Gigi. Don't you all agree?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

231K 13.3K 60
"A single night can change the course of your entire life." . . . [Yandere Prince x Female Reader] Once upon a time, in the tiny kingdom of Vascini...
614K 21K 31
Princess Eva is a hopeless romantic and has always dreamed of falling in love. The problem is, in the royal family marriages are always arranged for...
218K 12.6K 13
The battle and blood thirsty maniac of a prince wasn't exactly an ideal lover to many. All marriage candidates ran away and not even the greediest wo...
10.3M 768K 88
Marriage had always been my dream but not to a man about whom I know nothing. The moment my father fixed an alliance of me to a Prince without even t...