When I met you

By ClaraMaxwell

This book shows the journey of a young girl, Joanna who has had a traumatic life. From witnessing her mom's m... More

Chapter One
Chapter two
Chapter three
Chapter Four
Cast of 'When I met you'
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter seven
Chapter eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Cast of 'WHEN I MET YOU'
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Twelve

67 50 24
By ClaraMaxwell

     "Hi"

"Uhmm Hi" He stretched his hand and I realized a little too late that he wanted to help me get up. When I tried to take his hand he had already withdrew his hand so I withdrew mine then he stretched his again it was just very akward. Which is understandable since I'm a little bit akward around cute guys.

At the end of the day I just got up on my own after giving up on fixing my phone. I'll probably get another one later.

"I'm sorry I didn't see you. I really didn't know" He said as he shoved his hand in his pocket. He had this leather jacket on and he was rocking it.

"Yeah it's fine." I said as I turned around to make another order since the previous one had been squashed after my fall.

"No it's not. I feel really bad. Let me get you another sandwich and salad at least." He offered and I remembered I was very hungry.

"You don't have to besides I walked into you. l'll handle it." As I spoke I turned and was already ordering another sandwich with salad. Thank God there was no long line, I wouldn't have had the patience.

"Okay uhmmm can I see your phone?" He stretched his hand.

"My phone?"

"Yeah I want to see if I can fix it."

"I doubt it."

"Let me try, c'mon help my conscience here" he said with a smug look on his face.

"Okay suit yourself" I passed the phone to him.

"So what are you doing here, I mean obviously it's a hospital but like are you here with your family or friends." He said so quickly I could barely get what he said.

"Oh well my dad is here so.." I replied with a shrug and he immediately looked sorry

"I'm sorry about that. What's wrong with him"

"Uhmmmm nothing serious just a home accident, but he'll be fine." I know I was lying about the home accident part but the reason for my dad stay here had to remain a secret. Besides he's a total stranger and I can't go about telling everyone my dad has cancer, what if he knew him or something, you get what I mean right?

"That's good to hear." He said as he made his order too.

"So what about you" I asked actually curious as to what brought him here.

"My mom is here." He's face turned sad.

"Hope it's nothing serious" I asked sincerely.

"It's a lung infection, the doctor says she will be fine. We've been here a while and I can't wait for her to get better, I miss seeing her do the things she loves to do." He said after a brief pause and smiled as though he remembered something.

Nostalgia clenched my heart and I heard myself saying "I understand. I'm sure she'll be fine."

"I hope so." He said as he passed me my phone and to my utter surprise.

"You fixed it" How did he do that, I had actually given up on fixing it and thinking of getting a new one.

"Magic hands." He waved his hands.

"Yeah right" I said as I smiled a little. "Anyways thanks."

"Anytime." He said with a grin. I turned to leave as I had gotten my order.

"Alright see you some other time." I said.

"Definitely, I didn't get your name you know."

"It's Joanna, Jo for short."

"Nice meeting you, Jo. I'm Keann by the way."

"Nice meeting you too, Keann."

I said and left but couldn't help feeling his eyes on him.

I immediately texted Keri to let her know what was going on, as well as to warn her to keep it a secret. Everyone should think he's on a business trip or on Vacation.

She texted back telling me to be strong and to take care of myself and that she loves me.

"I love you too, Keri. You're like a sister I never had. Take care okay, if there's anything you can't handle just let me know. Kisses 😘" I quickly texted back.

Meanwhile, Chris was blowing up my phone with text and calls. I wanted to take them but I didn't know what to say to him. If I tell him that my dad is in the hospital, it won't be much of a surprise since he already knows that dad has cancer but will Dad be mad at me? This is too much. I'll call him later.

I called Mark, my dad's assistant slash 'bodyguard'. I filled him in on everything and he told me he'd be there in a few minutes. I hung up and went to see my Dad.

As I walked in my dad was sitting up straight and just had a sad far away look in his eyes. He must be thinking about everything happening. Things were happening too fast. I have to cheer him up, I thought to my self.

"Hey Dad, so guess what I got you? Salad." I announced with a smile and that brought him back to reality.  He smiled back.

"Back already?" He asked.

"Yeah and I called Mark, he'd soon be here."

                *   *   *    *    *

Keri's POV

I hope Jo is okay, I know how much she loves her Dad. This must be so tough on her, I thought to my self.

As I sorted out the payment receipts for the day I couldn't help remembering how I met Jo.

The first time I saw her I had come to check out Sonic, it was literally the best place in town to work (everyone said so) and I even heard that the pay was amazing. I was looking for a part-time job 'cos things were getting pretty difficult at home and I had to do something to support Mama (My grandma).

You might be a little confused as to why I'm supporting my 'grandma' right?.
I understand..... so here's my story.

I live with my Grandma. My mom died when I was 6 while giving birth to my little sister, Julie. Dad lost it that day. He blamed Julie for it, became depressed so bad that he started drinking and soon enough it affected his mental health.

At the end of the day he got tired and brought us to this town to stay with Mama. He comes once in a while to check up on us and by 'once in a while' I mean like once in three years.

Now grandma has to take care of us the best she can. So here I am looking for a job so I can support her.

Back to my other story.
I saw Joanna at the counter attending to costumers. She looked like a girl my age, well if they are hiring people as young as this then maybe I might have a chance. As I looked closely she seemed like someone I had seen somewhere like a magazine or Newspaper but I just couldn't place it. She had just finished talking to the last costumer, I walked up to her to ask if they were hiring.

"Hi." I said to her and she immediately smiled at me.

"Hello, welcome to Sonic how may I help you?." She asked and I couldn't help noticing how beautiful her smile was. She's so familiar, where do I know you.

"I'm Keri, I was over there, you know just looking around and I must say, this is such a beautiful place." That got a nod of approval I guess. I took a deep breath and continued. "So I was wondering are you guys hiring." I said rather quickly. My months  of looking for a job had made me a little bit scared of rejection.

She smiled softly and replied. "I think there's an open spot in the sales department but I'd have to talk to the manager first. Why don't you come back on Monday
and I'll have a response for you." She said. I didn't even realize I was holding my breath in anticipation of her answer. I felt a little bit relieved. I Know she didn't give me the job but it wasn't a rejection either.

"Thank you so much." Just as I stood up to leave, it hit me I recognize her now. She's the girl from the newspaper, the one whose Mom was beaten to death. I remember when the newspaper came in that morning, the story was on the front page and there it boldly read 'Little girl in tears as mom is beaten to death by Ex-lover'

I couldn't forget how Mama shook her head in pity. She looks a little bit different now but she's the one, I know it.

"Sorry but you didn't tell me your name." She had no tag so I had to ask her.

"It's Joanna, but you can call me Jo." She replied.

I left that day and when I returned as she had asked me to. She was happy to tell me that I had gotten the Job. We became friends and we have stayed that way ever since.

Mr Martin is like a Father to me, he paid my tuition fees as well as Julie's. He cleared all our debts and even takes care of Mama's
Medical bills. He has been a blessing, that's why I hope and pray that he gets better. He has to.

              *   *    *    *    *

Few hours into the day, I was already exhausted. I was only doing half of what Jo handles every day, yes I said half and I'm this tired. Damn, that girl is a workaholic.

As I got back to the front desk after signing off on some minor things. I noticed Chris standing there looking worried and impatient at the same time.

"Hey you. What are you doing here, shouldn't you be giving your girlfriend emotional support." I asked as I approached him.

"Emotional support?." He asked with a look of confusion.

"Yeah, you know since her dad....." And it hit me, maybe Joanna hadn't told him about the incident yet. I'm I supposed to tell him? Maybe not, she did tell me not to tell anyone but does that include Chris? Oh no this is kinda messed up.

"Keri? What are you talking about?" He asked this time looking more worried.

"Uhmmm." I sincerely didn't no what to say anymore. "Why don't you just call her."

"I have been doing that but she's not taking my calls. I've also tried texting but no reply, I came to check if she's having a busy day or something. Please Keri help me out here." He said.

"Ok but you have to promise me that you won't tell her I told. Tell her anything else but don't you dare tell her I told you, okay? Look I'm serious here, if you tell her I'll murder you in your sleep." That got an eye roll from him.

"I promise. Now can you please tell me what's going on." He said as his eyebrows furrowed. I could see the look of worry etched on his face.

He's so caring and cute. No he's not just cute, he is so hot. I mean I would give anything to have a man worry about me like this. Jo definitely hit the jackpot on this one. Okay Keri stop thinking about your best friend's boyfriend.

"Jo is in the hospital, she...." Okay maybe I shouldn't have started that statement like that because Chris literally almost passed out.

"Hospital? Is she okay? What is she doing there?" He looked like his eyes would pop out of his head.

"Calm down Chris. She's fine but her dad, not so much. He was admitted yesterday." As I spoke I could see relief wash over him and concern Immediately flash in his eyes.

"Her dad. I have to see her. Which hospital is it?"

"True Vine hospital." As I spoke, he was already flying out of the shop. Okay maybe a little exaggeration there.

"Hey Chris"

"Yeah?" He answered as he turned to look at me while he stood at the front door.

"Her favorite flowers are lilies." That got a smile from him.

"Got it. Thanks Keri." He said as he ran out the front door.

____________________________________

Hey lovelies,

How are you doing... I missed you so much ❤️

Hope you enjoyed the chapters. I'd love to know what you think.

I will drop the pictures of the new cast.

And did you notice that I hit 2,000 words on this chapter 😁... It's crazy and I'm so happy.

Don't forget I still love you so much 😘😘

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.2K 646 46
27 year old April Luis is an assistant for a well-known business man. Her abusive relationship with her husband, she does whatever she can to stay aw...
357K 12.3K 46
"One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley Life for Lacey Carson hasn't been a straight road into paradise. Strug...
172K 2.9K 100
!Book one out of four! There is a part two to this book you don't have to read it but if you would like to it's called "My princess to the Black Wido...
949 42 17
VERY MATURE CONTENT 18+ (TRIGGER WARNING!!). Little Lizzie was just five year's old when her mom passed away from cancer, now being raised by her fat...