Forgetting Prince Charming.

By Keri8794

She's had a secret kept safe for three years, one that would tear her family apart. It only took one drunk en... More

Preface
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40

CHAPTER 5

4K 333 23
By Keri8794

Emma couldn't fight her curiosity, though every shred of common sense warned her to. She knew how the saying went, she just hoped she wasn't the cat in all this. She had work the next day and rightfully so she should be in bed, warm and ready for sleep. Instead, she was back at Billy's. She was back to where it all began but she was smarter this time. If she were going to be meeting Joey again, she had to make sure she stayed away from the alcohol.

"How you doing Emma?" Billy greeted her. He stood in front of her table leaning against the side of the chair where Joey would soon be. His thick muscled arm which was sleeved in a variety of tattoos, was crossed over his chest. He was dressed sophisticatedly in smooth blue dress pants and a white shirt that stuck out brightly against his charcoal skin. He looked every bit the serious business owner she knew him to be. He also looked like the bar bouncer which always worked in his favor on weekends.

She smiled up at him before standing and giving him a tight hug. "I'm doing alright Uncle Billy. How are you?"

When they pulled apart, he shrugged. "You know me niece, breaking hearts and stealing cash." He smiled and a thick gold tooth flashed in the bar's lights.

She shook her head. "Better be careful saying that too loudly."

He looked unfazed. "I'm smart." She hummed, unsure what to say in answer. She didn't have the best relationship with him. "Stay safe alright. Order what you like, it's on me tonight."

"I'm meeting someone here," she answered.

His back was half turned but he shrugged. "Don't matter. Let Steph know alright." She nodded and watched him leave, shaking hands with different men and women along the way. He was a natural charmer, just like someone else she knew.

"Whoa, you know Billy?" Speak of the devil. She rolled her eyes and turned around to find Joey staring wistfully to where her uncle had just been. She ignored his awe and moved to take her seat again. He shook his head and stared back at her, his eyes wide and his mouth hung open. "How do you know Billy Mann?"

"How do you know him?" she asked curiously.

He took his seat across her and laid his hands flat on the table. "Who doesn't? He's one of the most successful businessmen in the city, owning half the bars and clubs. And, let's not forget his infamous reputation. It's alleged his part of an illegal drug trade and weapons dealing syndicate." Joey's voice lowered considerably at the end of his sentence as his face changed from awe to worry. Emma rolled her eyes. She knew well enough of the rumors about her uncle. Most were true and made him a man to fear.

"Are we going to talk about this idea, or what?" she asked, trying to change the topic. Joey was having none of it.

"Did he proposition you? Is that why he was here?" he looked on the defense. She'd be flattered were it anyone else.

"It's nothing like that," she muttered. A throat cleared and they looked next to them to see the bar manager- Steph - with a smile on her face. The toffee-colored woman wore her signature pencil skirt and black, low-cut blouse. She was dressed impeccably as what Billy would demand of her.

"Hi, Emma. Your uncle says anything you order tonight is on the house. He wanted me to make sure that I deliver your things to you." When Joey gasped, Emma ducked her head. She just wanted to slide under the table. Weird sounds were coming out of Joey and when she looked, it was almost enough to make her smile. He looked well and truly flabbergasted. She looked next to her and quickly muttered, "just get me a water and him a shot of tequila." Joey suddenly squeaked. "Might need to make that two," she said quickly to Steph. The woman nodded and then walked away, leaving Emma with a frazzled Joey.

"He's your uncle!" he whispered hastily. He was bent forward with his hand covering the side of his mouth. She shook her head. He was paranoid.

"So?"

"So," he wheezed. "Do you know what this means?"

She sighed. "Can you drop it, please?" she pleaded quietly. "Yes, Billy Mann is my uncle, but he's from the side of my family I'm not supposed to know about. So," she leaned back and looked at him squarely, "can we move on?"

"Are you not supposed to know him because of his job?" What Joey really meant was whether it had to do with his 'supposed' crimes. If only that were all there were to it.

"Something like that," she mumbled just as Step delivered their drinks. When Steph was out of earshot and Joey had slipped back both shots, she said, "now can we move on?"

He contemplated it and Emma's irritation rose. "Sure," he eventually said.

"So, what's this competition really about?" she asked, referring to the phone call they'd had an hour previous. He hadn't said much but it had been enough to pique her interest and pull her out her home clothes and down to Billy's at eleven at night.

"It's quite simple really. We'll run a weekly segment on the show where I'll give back a report on the progress we make with your issue. On our social media accounts, we'll be doing most of the interacting with the public. We'll host polls where they can vote on what activity we should have you do. We'll put up short statuses or pictures where they can see what you're up to." He leaned forward and smirked. "Think of it as a twist on those dating shows girls like."

"What shows?"

"The bachelor. Except, instead of handing out roses to the man of your choice, the public chooses, not you."

She groaned and rubbed her temples. This was complete madness. "This is ridiculous. There's no way anyone would be interested in this."

His one eyebrow shot up and Emma stilled. She'd always wanted to know how to do that and on Joey, it looked seductive as hell. "They already do."

"What?" she asked, having forgotten what they were speaking about.

"We already put it out there and the public want in. We just need you to agree."

This couldn't be happening. "There's no way I'm agreeing. The point is to keep this a secret. What good will it do me if the whole city finds out? My sister listens to your show. She heard what you said this morning. If I do this, she'll know I'm in love with Eamon and she'll kill me!" She was hyperventilating now. The panic was there, all too real. She couldn't do this. She couldn't let Larissa or Eamon found out. She wouldn't.

"Woah there," he muttered and reached forward to place his hands over hers. His hands were bigger and firmer. He grabbed both her hands into his hold and pulled them closer to him. He held them, tight against his chest. It caused Emma to lean awkwardly across the table, but she didn't care. His tight hold and sincere eyes were grounding her. "Just breathe alright. Can you do that?" She nodded. "Good, now do it with me." He breathed in and her hands felt his chest move. She watched him and mimicked his movements.

Slowly, her breathing and panic subsided to normal levels. "Thank you," she whispered. She wasn't one to suffer from panic attacks but, she was also never one to put herself in panic worthy situations.

"No problem," he said and rubbed his thumb lazily across the soft skin of her hand. She stared at their hands, mesmerized by how different they looked. It reminded her of a cappuccino- her being the rich coffee underneath and him being the creamy milk on top.

"Are you calm enough for us to talk about this properly?" he asked quietly. His thumb still traveled slowly on her skin.

"I think so," she whispered.

"Good," he answered. He let her hands go. She was grateful for the chance to sit more comfortably but she missed the warmth of his grip. "We're aware of this being a secret. It's the only thing keeping the public interested. We'll use an alias in our stories for everyone involved and any photo's or videos we take, we'll either blur your face or cut it off so no one can recognize you. We'll do our best to make you anonymous."

That did put her mind at ease, but it did nothing to convince her. "Why would I do this?" she asked. "Why would I want to put myself out there to be humiliated? I don't need to have my life dictated by strangers."

"Why not?" he asked with a chuckle, but she was unaffected. She stared with a stiff frown. He sighed and raised his hands in surrender. "Alright fine, I won't joke. Seriously speaking, the studio is willing to pay you."

She didn't need the money but, she was curious. "How much?"

"Three hundred dollars per weekly segment or episode. Depending on how long we can draw this out determines how much money you make."

Her eyes widened. She wasn't struggling financially but she wasn't close to being wealthy either. She wasn't desperate for the money, but it was a tempting offer. She could do with money like that but, was it worth it?

No, it wasn't. "I'm sorry Joey but you'll have to find someone else for your game. I don't want any part of this." She moved in her seat and got up to leave the whole situation behind her. She needed to get away from Joey and the chaos he was stirring in her life. She didn't get far before his hand wrapped around her wrist.

"Wait," he said quickly, his grip tightening. It would turn red if he carried on. "Just think about it, all right. Think about the good this can bring." He dropped her arm.

Emma appraised him curiously. "What good could possibly come from this?"

"You can finally do something about your feelings."

"Who says I want to do anything about them?"

He sighed irritably. "You're saying your happy to spend the rest of your life like this, stuck in a rut? Don't you want something to happen?"

Emma frowned deeply. She did want something to happen. She'd wanted something to happen for a long time. She wasn't sure how to make it happen but, she wanted to change. She looked at Joey as she thought about his offer. Eventually, she sighed and shook her head. "I want things to change but not like this. This is too much of a gamble for me."

He frowned. "I thought you were adventurous. What happened to the woman I met last night?"

"Tequila," she said with a shrug.

Joey stood up until he was towering over her. "This could be good for you."

"I can't risk it."

"Well," he stepped away from her. "When the fun, adventurous Emma returns, give me a call. The option will still be there." He left along with Emma's confidence.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8K 317 34
In the heart of Hollis, Queens, New York, a poignant tale of enduring love unfolds. Todd and Isis, once inseparable neighbors, forge an unbreakable b...
84.1K 4K 42
"Why the secret?" "Secret? More like secrets. And why do you care anyway?" "Because secrets are like lies, and I always find the truth..." ••••• Elna...
3.1K 265 27
After the 24-year-old, content creator and influencer Muna Amadi was betrayed by her boyfriend and bestfriend, she decided to move to New York for a...
1.5M 48.9K 52
| 𝐀 𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐢𝐫𝐞 𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 | When two powerful figures collide, there is bound to be a disaster. Zane Roman, a business tycoon. St...