Royal Pain | PJM • slow updat...

By bangtothetan_

Violencia is a thriving nation; the hierarchy lives lavishly and prosperously, the royal family has a vibrant... More

Synopsis/Intro
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37

Chapter 32

2.7K 190 161
By bangtothetan_

It was a brilliant autumn morning as Eunjae strolled deeper into the castle gardens. Though a brisk breeze painted her cheeks cherry and bit at the dainty flesh of her unprotected ankles, Eunjae basked in the brief relief the warmth of the sun rays provided, a content smile donning her face. It'd been quite some time since she'd simply sat outside and savored some crisp, fresh air. With the impending ball only a handful of hours away, Eunjae decided to enjoy some final tranquility before stepping into what she forebodingly expected would be an eventful night.

Eventually Eunjae arrived at her preferred spot, the central willow tree having shed most of its leaves by now, creating a bed of crumpled russet and fading crimson around its perimeter. Thankfully, the circle of hedges remained mainly intact, voluminous enough that they'd still obscure her figure from any prying eyes; Eunjae presumed they must have been a type of perennial plant.

Eunjae slowly eased her bottom onto a short granite bench as the frigid surface chilled her entire body. She clasped her hands together, futilely puffing hot air at her reddening fingers. The girl let out a relaxed breath as she shut her eyes, appreciating the stillness of her surroundings. She just breathed for a moment.

Feelings of excitement and anticipation had been steadily growing within Eunjae ever since she'd accepted Jennie's invitation. She looked forward to spending an evening galavanting with her friends, yes, but she was more itching for the moment she would catch Jimin's eye. Eunjae could imagine how his expression might shift from incredulity, to astonishment, to, she hoped, desire. An amorous yearning rushed through her at the thought of his dark eyes accompanying a sultry expression, his jaw set in a seductive fashion.

Eunjae let out a sizable exhale as her increasingly provocative thoughts were disrupted by memories of the previous night. Her and Chaeyoung had followed Hoseok's directions, and after fretting between themselves for another hour in their room, they finally succumbed to their overwhelming fatigue. Eunjae had found herself contemplating the occurrence since the moment she woke this morning, unsettled at the timing of it all when she factored in the details of the guards. She could sense something was brewing; an unexplainable ominous intuition she carried within her. Eunjae decided that at the first sight of Jungkook later in the evening, she would apprise him of her recent observations and suspicions.

"You look like you've got plenty on your mind." A velvet voice spoke up from behind Eunjae, briefly startling her. An involuntary grin began to grace the woman's lips as Jimin approached her form on the bench, his dazzling smile shining against the sunlight. He gently lifted Eunjae's hand to his lips, his hot breath warming her frigid skin as he murmured, "A penny for your thoughts, fair maiden?"

Eunjae giggled at Jimin's cheeky, cliché entrance, finding him entirely charming. Warmth spread throughout her chest as she admired his stunning features. She was genuinely happy to see him. "You're the crowned prince and all you can spare is a penny? I feel cheated." Eunjae teasingly pouted.

Jimin's dulcet chuckles resonated in her ears as he joined Eunjae on the bench. His side flush with hers, Eunjae rejoiced in the comfortable warmth he emanated. He gazed at Eunjae through his eyelashes as he wittily responded, "Allow me to rectify. To put a price to the contents of such a coveted mind would be a transgression unlike any other."

"Please, you're flattering me." Eunjae playfully gushed. "What brings you out here?"

Jimin's arm extended behind Eunjae so that his palm rested flat on the bench surface by Eunjae's bottom, his limb brushing against the girl's back and sending a titillating rush through her. As he leaned his weight onto his arm, he tucked his chin to gaze down at her so that his face hovered just above hers. Through a clever smile, Jimin regaled, "Well, I was headed to a meeting with my advisor, Namjoon, when I spotted a lovely lass headed outside. I thought to myself 'a shame it would be to leave such divinity unaccompanied' when I had a few minutes to spare, and lo-and-behold, here I am."

Eunjae regarded the prince with an amused countenance as he jovially recounted his tale. His almond eyes sparkled as they gazed dreamily into hers. Through a tinkling giggle, Eunjae mused, "Here you are, indeed." She leaned a hair closer to Jimin, her lips teasingly brushing against his as she noted, "Someone's in a rather good mood today."

Jimin hummed at her words, his eyes temporarily leaving Eunjae's dazzling orbs to glance at her inviting lips. Eunjae shivered, not because of the long-forgotten cold, but because Jimin slid the hand by her side closer so that his thumb could begin to rub soothing circles into her flesh. Resting his chin on the woman's shoulder, he cocked his head to the side as he revealed, "I missed you." Eunjae's heartrate spiked at the man's surprisingly candid and unreserved words. "Did you miss me?" He wondered.

Eunjae thought that the building heat within her might eventually lead her to imploding if she didn't make an advance soon, so rather than answer his query, Eunjae gripped Jimin's chin between her two fingers and pulled his lips down to meet hers. The prince smiled blissfully against her lips as he allowed Eunjae to take charge; the woman urged their lips to part so that their tongues could tangle together. The kiss was short, passionate, and sweet, leaving both individuals giddy for more.

Eunjae parted from Jimin enough to stare into his entrancing eyes as she murmured, "Does that answer your question?" She tucked her bottom lip under her teeth as she witnessed the enamored expression the prince now wore, his gaze remaining transfixed on her puffy lips.

"And then some." Jimin exhaled lowly as he tried to prevent his veering thoughts from becoming too wanton. As much as he would have reveled in ravishing the woman behind the concealing hedges of the garden, he was presently required elsewhere. He could clearly picture Namjoon grumbling in his office, waiting for his chance to reproach the young prince. Through a contrite sigh, Jimin muttered, "Sadly, I have to leave you now."

Eunjae pouted out her bottom lip as she nodded ruefully, allowing him to place a chaste peck on her forehead. "It's alright. Enjoy the ball tonight."

As Jimin stood, he loosely held onto one of Eunjae's hands, reluctant to let go. "I'd much more enjoy spending the evening with you."

Eunjae's lips curved upwards as she squeezed Jimin's hand. She held back on revealing her intentions for the night, remembering Jennie and Chaeyoung's words about knocking the prince off his feet. She couldn't do that without the element of surprise. "I know, me too."

After that, Jimin bid her farewell and left her to her own devices. Eunjae relished in the sunlight for a few more minutes before deciding to head inside and link up with Chaeyoung. They were to meet Jennie soon in order to get ready and head to the ball together, though Jennie would have to part ways with them in order for her to make her entrance beside Taehyung.

Eunjae inwardly beamed as she all but scampered down the castle halls. Jimin was in for a shock tonight.

=*=

It was now only minutes before Eunjae and her two friends would make their way down to the ball. The trio was in Jennie's room, and they'd all finally completed their ensembles, now each examining their respective appearances one final time to ascertain they could present themselves before the guests.

Jennie, in particular, was quite adamant about ensuring that her sensuous allure would finally captivate the bearer of her affections.

The princess' red-tinted lips curled up as she admired her appearance in the mirror. "Taehyung's going to have to look at me tonight, and when he does, I'll make damn sure he sees me." Smoothing a palm down to her stomach, she stared into her reflected eyes which held a faint trace of self-doubt behind their fierce determination.

"He won't be able to look away." Eunjae commented in appraisal, regarding the princess' dolled-up form.

Jennie was a force to be reckoned as she adorned an intense scarlet gown, her slender figure hidden beneath a massive skirt that reached the floor and trailed behind her. She resembled a precious jewel; a valuable treasure with glittering ruby red embellishments decorating from her neckline and down her torso, until the dress' design eventually transformed into a smooth satin that fanned around her starting from below her hips. Rather than a traditional tiara, Jennie had opted for a garland of several chains comprised of silver beadings, from which teardrop-shaped jewels hung and framed her head; the strands of her striking ebony hair curved in the faintest of waves as they fell just past her shoulders. The princess was radiant, shining, a fierce statement to all that would behold the sight of her.

Kim Jennie, the spitting image and very personification of femme fatale.

"He'd be a moron for doing so." Chaeyoung piped from across the room, also examining herself in a mirror.

The peppy strawberry blonde, whose pin-straight hair brushed her lower back, was the definition of winsome and graceful as she wore an enchanting gown that contrasted Jennie's; where one's was brazen, the other's was whimsical. Chaeyoung's slim waist would capture an onlooker's attention first as it was wrapped in delicate fabric colored a deep purple hue, gradually lightening as it reached the top of her sweetheart neckline. The flowy loose material of her off-the-shoulder sleeves draped down her lean arms, matching the bottom of the tulle skirt that billowed out from her waist. The blend of soft pinks and charming purples that layered to form her skirt was a mesmerizing sight, reminiscent of an evening sky once the sun had disappeared under the horizon, right before it is plunged into darkness. Chaeyoung looked feminine, bewitching, a picturesque woman who embodied all the traits of a princess in her own right.

"Oh, but our beloved Eunjae over there will have little Jimin on his knees." Jennie remarked through a naughty snicker, eyes twinkling.

Eunjae chuckled abashedly at the princess' words as her fingers traced the elegant design of the bust of her dress. Circling her waist and spanning lower along her skirt were intricately embroidered details, a marvelous swirling design that enhanced the magnificence of the gown. The material of the dress was a shimmering gold, sweeping the floor around and behind Eunjae. This was truly the most sumptuous, lavish item of clothing Eunjae had ever sported in her life, and presumably the last. She appeared noble, dignified, though the translucent mesh that hugged the curves of her waist and flesh of her collarbone juxtaposed the garment with enticing. With her dark hair spilling to her back, several strands swept out of her face and into a pretty braided design, Eunjae felt powerful.

Eunjae faced both of her gorgeous friends as she worked her rouge lips up into a confident smile. "Shall we do this, ladies?"

Chaeyoung and Jennie approached either side of Eunjae as they all linked arms, prepared to take on the evening together. Jennie beamed at her acquaintances, grateful to have found such dear friends for once in her life.

"Let's conquer this thing."

=*=

The ballroom was quite literally transformed during the past week in order to suit the exclusive festivities. Admittedly, Eunjae had hardly accustomed herself with the vast space as there was never a use for it except for events such as tonight; she'd seen it once when Chaeyoung had first toured her around the castle, but besides that, only in the briefest of passings a handful of times. Then, the room had been barren and free of any furnishings or decorations.

Now, stood beside her longest friend at the castle, Eunjae's gawking eyes marveled at the massive golden silk drapes that meticulously hung between large arch spring line windows. Lit bronze candelabras lined the walls, working with the setting sun to cast a warm glow across the bustling crowd of esteemed guests. Servers donning similar formal uniforms whisked across the marble floor, balancing circular trays on their palms to offer either hors d'oeuvres or flutes of crisp champagne. A small symphony orchestra was huddled off to the side of the dance floor, a gentle melody carrying throughout the room. The arched grand staircase Eunjae and Chaeyoung had already descended was in the process of being cleared in order for the royal family to be presented to the guests.

The girls had split ways with Jennie before the doors to the staircase as she had to wait for her aloof fiancé to join her. She had stood poised and regal while her nonchalant expression fought to conceal the anxiousness simmering within her. Eunjae and Chaeyoung felt guilty leaving the princess by herself, but it was not their place to loiter, so they regretfully headed into the throng of people in search of a deserted spot to plant themselves.

The demure pair sipped at their sparkling champagne as they observed the individuals surrounding them with intrigue. The two were both quite out of their element, watching as foregathering strangers would exchange a graze of a kiss on the cheek or a firm shake of the hand. The boisterous conversations nearly drowned out the pretty tune emanating from the stringed instruments of the band. The women were simply grateful that they had yet to have a stranger approach their suspiciously reserved forms.

"Have you spotted Jungkook at all?" Eunjae asked Chaeyoung as she continued to survey the sizable crowd.

Chaeyoung perked up instantly, lending her own eyes as she scanned passing faces. "Not yet. He should arrive soon, though."

Eunjae rocked back onto her heels after failing to catch a glimpse of the charming guard, bringing her champagne glass up to her lips to allow the bubbly liquid to fizz on her tongue and soothe along her tastebuds.

"What're we looking for?" A perky voice suddenly piped up from Eunjae's other side, causing the woman to choke on the sip of alcohol she'd just swallowed. The startled woman wheezed for a brief moment, muttering, "Dear lord," after catching her breath.

Directing her attention to the newcomer, Eunjae was bewildered to discover Lisa standing before her. The woman's doe eyes were bright and creased at the corners as her lips spread into a face-splitting grin. Eunjae gaped at her best friend's form; a stunning black dress hugged her slim waist before billowing down to the floor in a skirt of layered black tulle. The provocative halter top of the dress was less modest than one would deem for such an event as it exposed the entirety of Lisa's smooth back, the plunging neckline stretching from the top of her collarbone to the band around her torso. With her ash hair brushed back into a clean, slick ponytail, and her lips painted a dusty rose, Lisa appeared a temptress; a combination of allure and mischief.

"Eunjae, you look exquisite. Like, absolutely sublime." Lisa complimented meaningfully.

Eunjae broke out of her ogling to pull Lisa into a firm hug, hovering her champagne glass to the side so as not to spill any foaming liquid. "Um, woah?! Hi!" She held the girl at arm's length and scanned her figure, questioning, "How are you here? Why are you here?"

Chaeyoung, who had been quietly observing the scene, inched closer to Eunjae awkwardly, feeling as though she was intruding on their moment. Lisa noticed the strawberry blonde's timid presence and flashed her a cunning grin, stretching out her palm for a handshake. "You must be Chaeyoung! I'm Lisa, I've been dying to meet you!"

Chaeyoung equally returned the girl's amiable countenance and grasped her palm, gushing, "It's so nice to finally meet you! You look stunning!"

"Please, have you seen yourself?" Lisa praised, brazenly checking out the girl with a grandeur swipe of her arm down the length of her violet gown. Chaeyoung's palm hovered over her lips as she bashfully concealed her humbled chuckle.

Eunjae poked Lisa's side, causing the girl to squirm and shift away from her long-time friend. "Answer the question, Lis!"

Lisa shot a mirthful glare at Eunjae before her expression grew elvish as she related, "Hoseok snuck Yoongi and I in so we could crash the party. It's the talk of the town, you know?"

Eunjae crossed her arms, unimpressed as she regarded Lisa dubiously. She and her friend both knew she didn't buy into the girl's claims. "As if. Spill."

Lisa's eyes glinted with a degree of dutifulness as she grabbed Eunjae's half-emptied champagne glass to take a quenching gulp. After letting out a satisfied hiss, she relented, "Alright. We're actually here as backup. Hoseok informed us all about what happened last night, so Jisoo sent Yoongi and I to keep an eye on things."

Chaeyoung's attention peaked at the mention of her winsome chum. Leaning forward, she beseeched, "Is Hoseok alright? What ended up happening last night?" Eunjae remained attentive as she awaited Lisa's response.

Lisa became more serious as she explained, "Hoseok caught up to the guy and trailed him for a while; he ended up following him back to some wine cellar where the guy disappeared inside for a while. When the guy came back out and whisked off, Hoseok stayed behind to see if anyone else would come out. Wouldn't you know it—a second man stepped out, but it was too dark for Hoseok to catch his face. He had to run off before the guy could spot him since he was headed towards his direction."

Chaeyoung felt goosebumps rise along her skin at the implications of this information. She voiced her thoughts, "Something seriously menacing is going on in the castle."

"Agreed." Eunjae firmed, her eyes hard as she processed Lisa's words. Loosening the tension in her shoulders, Eunjae shook off her creeping unease; this could at least wait until after the ball.

"Where is Yoongi, by the way?" Eunjae wondered as she registered the placid man's absence, despite Lisa claiming that they'd arrived together.

"He's off with Hoseok surveying the area for any suspicious faces and—." Something in the distance captured Lisa's attention, halting her words as her jaw dropped a fraction and her wide eyes shined with fixation. "By God, would you just look at that man?" Her tongue ran across her bottom lip. "I want that man."

Eunjae and Chaeyoung both followed the line of her gaze to identify Jungkook as the object of Lisa's captivation. The young man had nudged through the double doors at the top of the staircase to mutter curt orders into the ears of the on-duty guards flanking the entrance. His almond eyes actively skimmed the crowd as he pranced down the stairs with all the aplomb of a distinguished sophisticate. Rather than his typical padded gear, Jungkook dressed up in a crisp white button-down shirt tucked into a pair of pressed black dress pants. Layered on top was a casual suit coat lined with golden embroidery, hanging loosely down his slim torso. His golden brown hair which normally fell above his eyes was handsomely parted to reveal a small portion of his forehead. He looked fetching, Eunjae thought, even with the sheathed sword that hung from his belt loops.

Chaeyoung glanced at Eunjae with a waggish nudge of her elbow. "Jungkook?" She mused as Lisa continued to gape at the man who'd begun to meander about the busy dance floor.

Eunjae stifled a snort at her friend's reduced state, outwardly chuckling as she remarked, "Lisa's helplessly infatuated."

The said girl pressed the now-emptied champagne flute into Eunjae's chest, waiting for the woman to grab it from her hands. "I'm going in, I'll find you guys later." Lisa drawled distractedly before sauntering in Jungkook's direction. The two girls didn't miss the sensual sway of her hips as she sashayed determinedly towards his unsuspecting form.

Eunjae chortled endearingly at her best friend. Classic Lisa.

"So yeah, that's Lisa." She concluded, turning to face Chaeyoung who joined in on her laughter.

"She seems wonderful. Jungkook is overdue for a bit of spark and romance; it seems Lisa might just be a proper match for him." Chaeyoung chimed wistfully.

Suddenly, the low drone of the orchestrated music cut out, soon replaced by booming brass instruments playing a brief jubilant procession. The brazen, imperial sound captured everyone's attention as chatter began to die down until, eventually, all conversations came to a halt. All eyes were trained at the top of the staircase as the two guards mechanically drew open the double doors in perfect synch, revealing the dynamic royal family for all to behold.

Eunjae's heartrate spiked as she gulped, in sudden search for another glass.

=*=

Eunjae's dress

Jennie's dress & headpiece

Chaeyoung's dress

Lisa's dress

Jungkook's fit

=*=

i was gonna wait to publish this til i finished the next chapter so i could release them together but then i figured the next chapter and the one that follows it would pair
better
hope you enjoyed! :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

549K 34.9K 36
Taehyung is an eligible prince, and on his 21st birthday he must make a choice in life partner before his parents do it for him. Jungkook is an artis...
300K 20.6K 42
The weak, powerless princess. That's all Jimin has ever been called. Born without an ability of his own in a world full of powerful elementals, mind...
9.3K 409 36
As a princess living a sheltered life, family ties have been a little off. One day, an elven prince comes to visit and dangerous events begin to unfo...