Left Hand of Destiny

By Swissdog

The sequel to The Changemaker. The continuation of the tale of Martin Adams in the Kingdom of Cairstain. More

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 5

Part 4

410 13 0
By Swissdog

Chapter 10

Martin watched the Princess as she walked out of the dining room and then looked down at his four legged friend. She regarded him silently, only a touch of her mind, a sense of well being, reached out to him. He smiled at her and together they walked up to his rooms to get the rest that came as a royal command. He stretched out on the bed, his hands behind his head and staring up at the ceiling. His thoughts were a bit jumbled as he tried to form an idea of what might lie ahead for him.

A trip to the capitol was certainly the first step. He had made the promise and he was genuinely interested in going and seeing how things had developed since he had departed almost a year and a half ago. Denton had given him a hint of what had transpired as had the Queen in her letter. He'd need to discuss it tomorrow with the Prince and see what would be recommended. 

He also had to consider what part Lezene played in all of this. That they were attracted to each other was obvious. How practical that attraction might be was an entirely different matter. An odd thought began to intrude on his awareness as he examined this train of thought. He had been operating on the assumption that at some point he was going to be returning to his home in the Rockies. But was that really the only outcome? What if the power that had brought him there had intended it to be only a one way trip? What if he was expected to live out the remainder of his life in this place, doing what he could to help move the Kingdom along some path known only to the Net, or whatever? 

His mind was examining this scenario when he felt as much as heard the low rumbling of the casco and soon he felt a kind of lassitude spread out from his mind and into his body, lulling him into sleep. As he began to drift off he was sure that Pittar would give his right arm for a sleeping potion that was as effective as his friend. 

The next morning, Martin had missed his usual dawn awakening, but only by a quarter hour or so. He was feeling fairly refreshed but a little generalized ache throughout his body was giving him something to think about. He wondered if the years were starting to catch up with him. Either that or the amount of time he had spent sleeping in regular beds the last year or so had softened him up and he wasn't in shape for extended outdoor trips anymore. One thing was sure, he was hungry and he was going to check his horses and then head for the kitchen. 

He left his room with the casco alongside and continued on until the turn off for the stable. At this point she kept moving towards the back of the manor and the paths that led into the wooded areas of the grounds. Martin watched her trot off. He figured she preferred to hunt her own breakfast. He walked down the path to the stable in the cool late autumn air. Aben was standing in the open doorway. 

"Sor Martin. Can't say as I'm surprised to see ye this morn," Aben said. 

"Yeah, it's hard to break the habits of a lifetime I guess. Of course I was asleep more than a few hours before I normally would have been, so I guess it all evens out. How have the boys been working out for you?" 

"They've been a true blessing, sor and no mistakin'. They both know their animals and they don't mind workin' hard. The young one Derm has a real talent with horses. I'll be sad to see 'em go," Alben. 

"He may be around longer than we thought. Do you mind if I check on my mount?" Martin asked. 

"O' course ye can. Ye needn't ask." 

"It's your stable as much as anyone's, so it's only polite. The ol' girl had quite a workout the last week or so. I just want to make sure she's alright. Neither one of us are getting any younger," he said with a laugh. 

"That one has a lot of years left in her, sor. Ye take real good care o' her and that shows." 

Martin smiled and gave the ostler a clap on the shoulder. As Aben had said his horses were all in fine shape. He had thought he needed to get the pack animals out for some exercise but someone obviously had been seeing to them. Out of habit he gave each one a thorough examination and made sure he checked the hooves of his riding mare. He found no problems and left the stable happy. Whistling tunelessly he found his way to the kitchen and knocked on the door frame. 

"May I?" he called in. 

"Sir Martin. O' course ye may. Come in, come in. We were expectin' ye. Sit yerself down and we'll serve ye right up," Beatrell said. 

"Thank you, ma'am. I'm still trying to recover from a week and more of trail food," Martin said with a grin as he sat on the indicated stool. 

"Me thinks ye've gone for longer than that eating rations, Sir Martin." 

"Oh, I have. Much longer. But that doesn't mean I enjoyed it much or didn't appreciate coming back to home cooking. Especially your cooking. I've been looking forward to this breakfast since the day we left." 

"Will ye listen to the man talk," the cook said to her helpers. "Ye've a smooth tongue worthy of the young Prince when ye've a mind to," she said to Martin. 

He just smiled as one of the helpers came to the table and delivered a loaf of the savory nut bread and a crock of butter. She bounced a small curtsy and went back to the stove. 

"Ye occupy yerself with that until the rest is ready, Sir Smooth," Beatrell said, fixing him a beady eyed stare, although her mouth was twitching with amusement. 

Martin smiled inwardly, seeing that the cook had become comfortable enough in Martin's company to joke. He closed his eyes and smiled outwardly as he enjoyed the taste of the raisin nuts. In short order he was served a platter containing bacon, eggs, and the browned potato-like slices. A pot of tea and a mug arrived last.  

By the time he was done, he was full and very content. He lingered over the last of his tea and then with heartfelt thanks left the ladies to their tasks of preparing breakfast for the household. He knew he had time before the scheduled meeting with the Princes and Princess so he thought he would take a turn around the manor house and drop in to see Master Jarren, the woodworker. As the sun rose the air began to warm but he knew it was still going to be a cool day. 

In less than a quarter of an hour he was standing at the doorway to the stone and timber structure that housed the orderly and industrious world of the master woodworker. He knocked on the door and waited. He heard a familiar voice call out,  

"Ath, see who it is." 

Martin smiled a bit and remembered the apprentice's name, Athmon, from his discussion with the Princess days before. When the door swung open he studied the boy, or more correctly, the young man who stood there with a questioning look on his face. He was several inches shorter than Martin, of wiry build, with a tangle of black curly hair. His equally dark eyes were focused on Martin. 

"Martin Adams to see Master Jarren, if he has the time." 

Athmon started at the sound of Martin's name but before he had time to reply the familiar voice called out again. 

"Sir Martin, good morning to you. Let him in, Ath, let him in." 

The apprentice stepped back and to the side to hold the door open and he gave a little bow as he gestured for Martin to enter. Martin stepped in and past the young man and stood to once more survey the orderly workspace. He saw that the makings of another wheel chair were spread out on one of the worktables. The Master woodworker hurried over to meet his guest. 

"Sir Martin, so good to see you again. We had heard you were here but it's good of you to visit," he said, taking Martin's hand in one of his own heavily callused ones.  

"Thank you, Master Jarren. I just thought I would stop by and pay my respects and to compliment you on Princess Yolinda's new chair. It's a fine piece of crafting." 

"'tis very kind of you to say so. It's an inspired idea, I must say. The Lady is very happy these days. As you can no doubt see I have another in progress. A gift from the Prince and Princess to one of her aging relatives who can barely walk anymore. Young Ath here was sent out to make the measurements." 

Martin turned to the young man who was standing off to one side and said, 

"It's nice to meet you, Athmon. I saw a sample of your carpentry the day after I first arrived. The ramp for the Princess to use on the side of the manor. I'm no expert but it appeared to be very good work." 

"Thanks to you, Sir Martin," Athmon replied. 

Martin smiled and returned his attention to Jarren. 

"I understand it took you quite a while to find him," Martin said, gesturing with his head to the apprentice. 

"Oh, aye. I was beginning to despair that I would never find anyone with the necessary aptitude, if you will. Skills I can teach, but it requires a gift to develop the true touch, the feel for the wood. I imagine you understand the idea, the competent swordsman as opposed to the true expert, or a bowman instead of a marksman." 

"Yes, I know exactly what you mean. Well, Master Jarren, I won't keep you from your work any longer. I just wanted to say hello and thank you for your work for the Princess," Martin said. 

"You are too kind, Sir Martin and please feel free to visit at anytime and discuss any more ideas you might have," the Master said with a grin. 

"I'll do that," Martin replied and with a nod to Athmon he left the craftworks. 

Leaving the mastercrafter's workshop behind, Martin made his way to the front of the manor. The time for the meeting with Prince Haldorn and the others was quickly approaching. In fact, as he walked in through the front door the family was just finishing up their own breakfast. As he crossed the foyer Martin saw the Prince moving towards the entrance of the dining room. 

"Ah, Martin, there you are. We have just finished here. I trust you have eaten this morning?" 

"Yes, sir." 

"Then let us retire to my conference room and discuss what you have all discovered." 

Behind the Prince came Edmor and Lezene. Their mother was being wheeled out of the dining room by Eileer. 

"Martin," Yolinda began, "you will come find me when you have finished your meeting?" 

"Yes, ma'am, I'll remember." 

The three royals and Martin made their way to the second floor room that contained the semi-circle of comfortable arm chairs that served the Prince for his various meetings. Haldorn took his place at the top of the semi-circle, directly across from the fireplace, which contained a low fire against the slight chill of the very late autumn morning. Edmor sat on his right hand side, Martin on his left and Lezene to Martin's left. The elder Prince was the first to speak. 

"So, Martin, I understand you did not find your way home, but did you find any signs at all?" 

"Some old hoofprints, sir. We could see where I first arrived, but that was all," Martin replied. 

"I see. Well, I must say that my reactions to this news are mixed. I, of course, sympathize with your plight, my friend, but I must admit I am pleased that the kingdom will not yet be deprived of your special talents." 

"The kingdom, father?" Lezene asked indignantly. 

"Well, of course, I have personal feelings about this situation, daughter, but as one of its leaders, I must put the concerns of the kingdom first," the Prince said, his face a serious mask. 

As Martin watched the Prince's face, he was fairly certain he had seen the corner of the man's mouth twitch a bit. 

"Father," Lezene said, drawing out the word, "I am not a little girl that you can tease like that." 

The Prince merely smiled and then directed a small wink towards Martin. 

"I appreciate that, sir," Martin said. "But I had a feeling it was going to be a long shot. I guess when and if the time comes it wouldn't be at a time or place of my choosing," he finished with a slight shrug. 

"I believe you are most likely correct. So, to the other matter at hand. Tell me what you found regarding the Garniles." 

Martin began telling of their encounter with the edgling and the information that the little creature provided. He explained how they found the tunnel and the stairway leading up from the mist enshrouded causeway. They then discussed the possibilities of an expedition to confirm what the edgling had said about the roadway through the swamp and what might be beyond. 

"Well, Martin, I believe this information needs to be presented to the King, although there does not appear to be any undue urgency. The solstice celebration is three days hence. I would suggest you leave directly afterward. In that way you will have time to plan the expedition for the spring." 

"Sounds like a good idea, sir." 

The four spent another half hour or so discussing how such an expedition might be conducted, who to involve and what resources might be required. To bring the meeting to an end, Prince Haldorn said, 

"I will provide a message to my brother endorsing the idea of some form of exploration come spring. That should be enough for now. Martin, I suggest you go and find Yolinda, I'm sure she is waiting for you." 

"Yes, sir, and thank you," Martin replied as he stood up and then left the room. 

The three Royals watched as Martin walked out of the room. Prince Haldorn then looked at his son and daughter. 

"So, how would you judge his mood?" 

Edmor glanced at his sister, who nodded for him to speak. 

"I would say, Father, that he is resigned to his fate. He will do what he can to accomplish something of worth while he is still here. Beyond that I cannot say." 

"And you, Daughter?" 

"I would agree with Edmor, Father. He will seek tasks that will permit him to feel he is doing and not just being." 

With a nod the Prince said, 

"I would have to say I believe you are correct, the both of you. 

They spoke for a bit more and then Edmor excused himself. Lezene continued to sit with her hands clasped in her lap. Her father regarded her for a few minutes and then asked, 

"What is it that troubles you, my dear?" 

She looked at him, her eyes wide and a bit bright. She took a deep, shuddering breath and then said, 

"I feel very conflicted, Father and more than a bit guilty." 

"Conflicted I understand, but guilt?" the Prince asked. 

"When it became clear that we would not find the doorway back to his world, I felt relief and joy. How selfish must I be to feel happiness at the great disappointment of another. Particularly one we hold so dear." 

The Prince smiled at the word 'we'. 

"Love is an extremely powerful emotion, Lezene. It can be the source of many others, both noble and ignoble." 

"Ah, Father," Lezene exclaimed as she stood up abruptly. "Then more the fool am I for having fallen in love with a man who could be swept away at the whims of fate, or the Net." 

"My dear, how does that make you different than any other? Life is tenuous at best. Any of us may be taken at any time by any number of circumstances." 

Lezene gave a short laugh. 

"The King said much the same when Martin gave a similar reason for not becoming the Duke of Blyden." 

"We live and love in the hope of long lives and cope with the consequences when matters do not unfold as we would wish." 

Lezene walked around the chairs and stopped in front of a window that overlooked the gardens. She had her arms folded in front of her and she smiled a bit. 

"See you, Father. There he is now. Sitting by the garden pond, speaking with Mother." She sighed heavily. "Would that the Seers were wrong and there was magic that I could use to sooth his hurts. And yes, send him home as he desires." 

The Prince walked over to stand behind his daughter. 

"And what makes you think that there is no magic in this world, dear Lezene?" 

"It has always been said as such, Father. The Seers agree that there are energies to be seen by those who have the gift but not that can be used by us," Lezene replied. 

"You see much, my dear, but you also have missed a great deal. Look you there at your mother. Has she not always had the gift of seeing what ails the heart and soul of a person and the knowledge of how to heal them?" 

Lezene simply nodded. 

"And when she was injured, who was the first to shake off the melancholy and coax the rest of us back to a happier life?" 

"Mother," was all she said. 

"Indeed. And look at her now and how she works with Martin. Is that not a form of magic?" the Prince asked as he shook his head. "I think the Seers have it wrong in looking for those who can wave their hands and cause great displays such as that fellow who destroyed the gates at Blyden. They should look for it in the Healers who instinctively know what ails someone, or the ostler who can gentle the most fractious horse with a word and a touch. And what about Martin and his four legged friend," who as if on cue approached Martin from around the pond. "Is not what they share magic?" 

The Prince laid his hands on his daughter's shoulders and she reached up to cover them with her own. 

"And I would not be too hasty in judging what Martin desires at this time. I fear he does not truly know that himself. Take time to discover that for yourselves. I cannot say why, but I feel you will have it." 

CHAPTER 11

When the solstice celebration arrived it took Martin somewhat by surprise. His first solstice occurred during the preparation for the defense of Blyden and no celebration occurred there. This time he saw the manor staff begin decorating the large house with various combinations of tree boughs, late blooming flowers and fruits as well as handcrafted decorations. It struck Martin as hauntingly familiar to what one would see at Christmas and New Years at home. It brought back a bit of the homesickness he head been trying to shed. Something else that he found intriguing was that on the morning of the actual holiday the manor house was thrown open to receive any and all who would make the trip.  

Martin had not been aware of the sizable number of people who lived in the area around the estate. Mostly farmers and woodlot workers, dressed in their best, if a bit rough, attire arrived throughout the morning, greeted by the Prince and Princess. Tables were set up in the foyer and dining room where the visitors could help themselves to what to Martin resembled a buffet brunch. 

The atmosphere was light but the visitors maintained a reserved and respectful manner. Martin was the object of a fair amount of scrutiny but no one sought him out. Around mid morning he was standing off to one side of the foyer when Lezene move to stand at his side, hooking his arm with hers. 

"So, Martin dear, you've been very quiet this morning." 

"Just watching and learning," he replied quietly. "Did we miss something like this up at Blyden?" 

"On, no," she replied with a silvery laugh. "The former Duke would never think to invite the general public of the city into his residence. This is a tradition that goes back generations in our family. Back to when we were merely local lords and the guests were largely the tenants of the estates," 

"Does the King do this in Marchesan?" 

"Not in this manner. Each year he extends invitations to different residents from various levels of society from throughout the city and surrounding areas. He does tend to draw heavily from the laborer and merchanter classes. I have attended several such events over the years. I sometimes wonder if it is such a good idea after seeing how ill at ease most of the guests are. But my uncle so strongly desires to maintain some tangible connection to those who comprise the majority of the kingdom. Father tells me that this year the list contains many who fought at Blyden." 

Martin nodded. 

"There is another bit of news you might find to your liking, dearest. As a small gift to the city of Marchesan, my uncle has taken ownership of that vacant lot you came across and had it cleaned up. It is now a place for the children to play. Apparently, your game with the stick and ball is becoming quite popular with them." 

Martin had to laugh a bit at the memory of the group of grubby urchins, first mesmerized at the appearance of the casco and then having so much fun chasing that leather bag full of rags around. When he got to the capital he would have to pay a visit and also see what he could do about providing some real equipment for them to use. That and find a way to keep the adults away from it. Otherwise they'd take all the fun out of it. His train of thought was interrupted by an unfamiliar voice. 

"Beggin' yer pardon, yer honor?"  

Martin focused his attention on a middle aged man in a coarse wool coat, standing a few feet away, his cap held tightly in front of him. 

"Yes?" Martin replied. 

"I'd not be wishin' to intrude on ya, sir or Yer Highness, but I just wanted to offer ya my thanks for sendin' my boy home to me in one piece." 

"He was at Blyden, then?" Martin asked. 

"Aye, sir. Fought on the wall some and then in that last big fight," the man replied, his pride showing through his nervousness. 

"Then he saw some of the worst of it. Did he come out of it alright?" Martin asked. 

"Took a nasty slice on the arm there at the end. But them first aiders and Healers got 'im patched up proper. He kept the arm and it's getting stronger all the time." 

"I'm happy to hear that. Is he here? I'd like to meet him." 

"Ah, no sir. He's been a bit funny like that these days. Real quite like, doesn't talk much. Keeps himself to himself if'n ya knows what I mean," the man said, concern replacing the pride in his eyes. 

"I'm afraid I understand how that is," Martin said with a nod. 

Lezene was watching the exchange quietly but when the farmer mentioned his son's reticence she hesitated but a moment and then let go of Martin's arm and with a quick,  

"Excuse me a moment," she hurried off. 

The farmer looked alarmed and said, 

"It's sorry I am, sir. I didn't mean to offend her Highness." 

"I'm sure you didn't," Martin said with a smile, "I'm sure she just remembered something that needed her attention. So, about your son. I think I know what he's going through. It could be he just needs time to sort things out. He probably saw and had to do some pretty unpleasant things and that can be hard to deal with. Try and get him to talk about it, and when he's ready, listen to him." 

"Oh, aye, sir. I do that. He says a bit here and there. That's how I heard about what you did and how it helped get my boy and the others home." 

At this point Lezene returned, pushing her mother in front of her. There farmer's eyes got wider and he squeezed his cap all the more tightly. 

"Please be at ease, goodman," Yolinda said, regarding the man. "You are the farmer Whatney, are you not? Your son is a tall, slender young man, yes?" 

"Aye, Yer Highness. It's good of ya to remember us so." 

Yolinda looked at Martin. 

"Farmer Whatney supplies the manor with mutton, chicken and various vegetables. Beatrell always speaks very highly of what he brings us." 

She looked back at Whatney and said in a kind voice, 

"I understand your son is having some difficulties." 

"Beggin' yer pardon, Yer Highness, but yes, he is," and the farmer briefly retold his tale and what Martin had suggested. 

"What Martin has suggested is proper, goodman. Tell me, please, when are you due to make your next delivery to the manor?" 

"Mutton and chicken will be comin' in two weeks time, Yer Higness. Ain't no more produce for the year, o' course," he replied. 

"Please make sure that your son is here when the delivery is made. I would like the chance to speak to him." 

"Yer Highness?" the farmer asked in surprise. 

Yolinda smiled in that special reassuring way of hers. 

"My dear Goodman Whatney. It is the responsibility of the nobility to watch over and protect the subjects of the kingdom. Sometimes that means grand strategies and great battles. Other times it means a quiet talk with a brave but troubled young man. You will see to it that he is here?" 

"O' course, Yer Highness." 

"Well done," she said and then turned to a servant who was standing near the staircase. 

"Please see that the goodman has something he can bring home to his son. The boy deserves some cheer on this day." 

"As you say, Your Highness," the servant replied, then beckoning to the farmer. 

"Thank you, Yer Highnesses, Sir Martin," the farmer said, a bit of a smile showing on his care worn face. 

After the man had left, Yolinda looked up at Martin with a smile and then wheeled herself away to check on some of their other guests. Lezene and Martin looked at each other and smiled a bit. 

"One would think that there is something magical about her," Lezene said as she moved back to his side. 

"One would think that you are correct," Martin replied, putting an arm around her shoulder and pulling her tight to his side. 

CHAPTER 12

On the morning of the third day after the solstice celebration, Martin was once again in the saddle, gathered with the rest of the mounted party in front of the manor house, prepared for the two day ride to Marchesan. Two days before, a courier had been dispatched to alert the palace to his arrival in the company of Edmor and Lezene. Three guards from the manor would go along. It was felt this was adequate security considering the presence of Martin and his firearms, as well as the casco. The pack horses, as well as the big Weatherby rifle were being left at the manor. Philus was going to make the trip back to the farm for a discussion with Dennelly to discuss the future.  

"Fare thee well, Martin. Let us know what the King has in mind for you," Prince Haldorn said from the top of the portico. 

"Have a care, Martin dear. Do not let the Queen vex you too greatly," Yolinda said with an impish grin. 

"Yes, sir, and yes, ma'am," he replied with greater emphasis on the second yes. 

"Take care, children," their mother said to Edmor and Lezene. 

"Yes, mother," they chorused. 

With a wave, Prince Haldorn sent them on their way. In a short time, the small mounted troop was on the road to the capital. Martin settled himself in the saddle and seemed to relax. Lezene took note of this and commented. 

"You never seem more relaxed then when you are astride a horse, Martin," she said. 

He nodded and smiled as he looked over at her. 

"What I've left behind, I can't do anything about, and what's ahead hasn't gotten here yet, so all that's left is the ride and that I can enjoy. Of course, if I thought there was any danger out there, I wouldn't relax too much." 

"I would not be overly concerned about that, Martin," Edmor called back from his place ahead of them, as he rode with the sergeant of the guard detail. "The last brigand foolish enough to operate in this region was hanged over a score of years ago. The occasional poacher turns up now and again as you well know, but not much more than that. And we must not forget the added benefit of your gray friend there. No doubt she would have any such character flushed and treed in no time at all," Edmor finished with a laugh. 

Martin looked over at the casco and got a snort and headshake in return. Lezene laughed and said, 

"It would appear that the forest ghost shares my opinion of my brother's sense of humor. It must be true what they say about them." 

"What's that?" Martin asked. 

"That they are highly intelligent and very intuitive creatures." 

Now it was Edmor's turn to snort. They rode on for the rest of the day, stopping for a short stretch around noon at which time the casco disappeared into the woods. She rejoined the small group of riders shortly after they resumed their journey. As was usual, Martin didn't have much to say as they rode but he seemed content. The sun was shining and the air was cool but without a bite even though winter had officially begun. He had been told that this far south true winter was only a matter of a few weeks long and was still a month or so away. 

"You are enjoying the ride, Martin?" Lezene asked. 

"Yes, I am. It's a good day for it. The warm sun and cool air reminds me a bit of home. A bit too flat, but it feels similar," he replied with a bit of a smile. 

She smiled back and then said, 

"What think you? Will your companion remain outdoors tonight or join you in the inn?" 

"I'm not sure. I think it will depend on how many guests they have. If they're close to full up, I'd say she'll stay outside. If it were deeper into winter though she'd most likely put up with it and come in. I've gotten the feeling in the past that she prefers warmth." 

"So she was not comfortable when we were searching for your tracks?" she asked. 

"Not really. When the wet snow started falling she was definitely unhappy about being out in it." 

Lezene laughed a bit, looking at the casco, pacing along beside Martin and then seeing the seemingly deliberate indifferent look, she laughed even more. 

As the sun touched the horizon, they arrived at the inn run by Knutell and his children. As Martin had suspected there were a number of guests. He had noticed that the road showed signs of significant traffic, the worst of the cold winter rains having not set in yet. The casco had trotted off into the woods less than a quarter of a mile earlier and he knew she would not be far away. Martin frowned a bit and then said, 

"It looks like there may not be much room at the inn. I hope they'll have space for us." 

"One of the advantages of being a member of the royal family, my friend," Edmor said with a grin. "The inn has several rooms reserved exclusively for us, and for our escort." 

"Well, that is convenient," Martin said, "but I absolutely refuse to have anything to do with throwing someone out into the cold just so I have a soft bed to sleep in." 

"Martin! What a thing to suggest. We would...." Lezene began and then saw the look on Martin's face and her righteous indignation changed to mock outrage. "So, the oh so serious Sir Martin has sense of humor after all." 

Martin simply returned a 'what? Me?' look. Edmor was beside himself with laughter while the guards remained resolutely straight faced. When they rode into the front yard of the Inn a stable boy hurried from around the side. 

"Good evenin' to ye, Yer Highnesses. " 

"And a pleasant evening to you, young sir," Edmor replied with a jaunty air. "Hopefully, there's some room for us." 

"How could it not be, Yer Hignesses? The Royal rooms are open, although there be little room otherwise." 

"Stop your banter and let us get inside, brother," Lezene said with some asperity. "It has been a long day, and a chilly one. I would like a warm room, a soft bed, and dinner. If you wish perhaps Knutell will allow you to perform in the common room." 

Edmor regarded his sister with some surprise but with a shrug, dismounted and started to turn his horse over to the young ostler. When Martin was able to catch Lezene's eye she turned to him and with no other change in expression gave him a quick wink. He could only shake his head. The rest of the troop dismounted and Martin and the two royal siblings proceeded up the stairs to the front porch while the guards went with the youngster with the horses. Edmor used his good arm to open the door and let his sister enter ahead of him. Martin made a curt gesture with his head for his friend to go ahead. Edmor gave his own wink and then walked into the entry foyer. With a deep sigh Martin brought up the rear of the little party. 

He could see that the fussy little innkeeper was already greeting Lezene and Edmor and when he saw Martin he exclaimed, 

"Ah, Sir Martin, we are doubly honored this evening. I was just telling their Highnesses how much I hoped you had all recovered from your trials at Blyden. We were all quite concerned when you were here last." 

"Thank you for your concern, Knutell. We've all had plenty of time for rest and recovery," Martin said. 

"I'm pleased to hear that. Well, if you would just enter your names in the register we'll get you to your rooms. Your dinner will of course be served in the private dining room once you've assembled there." 

"That will be fine, good Knutell," Lezene replied as she signed the large book. 

Behind the elegant counter was Knutell's daughter, Jenin. When Edmor stepped up to sign Martin could see her look at the Prince's damaged left arm and the barely suppressed expression of dismay. Then her gaze shifted to the Prince's face as he made some quiet comment and her expression was much more joyous. Next was his turn and he smiled at the young woman and said, 

"Hello, Jenin. It's nice to see you again." 

"Thank you, Sir Martin, if you would?" she said offering him the quill. 

Martin signed and then Knutell showed them to their rooms on the second floor of the inn. As they walked past the entrance of the common room, Martin could see there were at least a dozen patrons at tables. He recalled his confrontation with the bulky man would had treated Jenin so badly and hoped this stay would be much calmer.  

"What say you?" Edmor offered. "An hour until dinner?" 

"That should be fine, brother," Lezene replied. 

Martin simply nodded.  

An hour later found the three companions sitting at a table in the private dining chamber with Knutell and Jenin attending to their requirements. Martin had asked who was taking care of the rest of the guests and he was informed that the Inn took on extra help during the busier traveling season. Holten was managing the common room with the temporary help. They were about half way done when a uniformed man wearing the sash of a Royal courier appeared in the entry to the dining room. Before Knutell could intercept the messenger, Edmor waved him over to the table. 

"I presume you have a message for us?" 

"Yes, Your Highness," the messenger replied, holding out a folded sheet of parchment which Edmor accepted. 

He broke the seal and read it with a mixture of expressions from amusement to annoyance. Then he looked at Martin and offered him the parchment. 

"What is it, Edmor?" Lezene asked impatiently. 

"It would seem that our Royal aunt and uncle are concerned that our arrival in the city will create something of an uproar. We have been asked to postpone our departure tomorrow to such an extent that we won't arrive until well after dark. The later the better." 

"What?" she exclaimed. "They expect us, Martin mainly I assume, to sneak into the capitol as if we were thieves?" 

Martin looked at the messenger and asked, 

"What do you know about this?" 

"Well, Sir, I wasn't aware of what the message contained but there has been a great deal of excitement about the news of your return to the city. The news was supposed to be a secret but somehow the people got to hear of it and..." he finished with a bit of shrug. 

"Well, the handwriting looks like the Queen's," Martin said. "She's expressing concerns about the need for putting guards in the streets if we come during the day." 

"I still think it's outrageous," Lezene replied. 

"Oh, I don't know. They have to think about the general welfare and all that as opposed to hurting my feelings. I'm sure, knowing my background, she figured I'd be more at home skulking around in the dark," he offered with a laugh. 

"Oh, Martin, dearest. Don't suggest such a thing, not even in jest," she chided him, although gently. 

"I don't see any reason beyond it being a bit colder riding at night not to do as she asks. Other than being thrown in the dungeon for disobeying the Queen's 'request'." 

Lezene simply shook her head as Edmor turned to the messenger.  

"And what about you, my fine fellow? Do you return with us?" 

"No, Your Highness. I have dispatches for your father as well," the courier replied. 

"So be it, but I suggest you not mention this to anyone there. I'd imagine the general response would be more akin to Lezene's than Martin's." 

"As you say, Your Highness." 

With a nod from Edmor the messenger turned and left the room. The three sat and looked at each other. 

"So, I guess we get to have the chance to sleep in tomorrow," Martin said. 

"Which means what, Martin dear? You'll wait until the sun is fully visible before you arise?" Lezene asked. 

"Something like that," he replied with a grin, but then looked toward the entry way at the sound of some loud voices carrying in from common room. 

He shrugged a bit and returned his attention to his companions and they finished what was left of their meal largely in silence. When they were finished they thanked the innkeeper and made to leave the private dining room when several shouts drew their attention. Martin looked toward Knutell with raised eyebrows.  

"My apologies, I'm afraid we have somewhat of a boisterous gathering tonight," the innkeeper said. "It would appear that some are still intent upon celebrating the Solstice festivities." 

"Is it likely to get out of control?" Lezene asked. 

"It is always a possibility, Your Highness. I had hoped that your guardsmen might have spent some time in the common room, but they have remained in their rooms." 

The innkeeper's words were punctuated by several more shouts, with a definite edge of anger this time. Martin let out a long sigh and said, 

"Lezene, would you please go alert the guards and then stay back there." 

The Princess looked like she was going to object but she was cut off by a loud crash, which made Knutell cringe. She nodded and then hurried down the corridor while Martin and Edmor walked across the hall and stood at the entrance to the common room. The scene inside was at odds with the otherwise genteel nature of the inn. A small knot of men were engaged in a shoving match near the bar while the other patrons had pulled back against the opposite wall. Martin and Edmor exchanged glances and then Edmor cleared his throat. 

"I command you to hold!" he shouted into the room. 

Those that were observing the brawl looked over at the pair framed in the entrance. The less inebriated were able to grasp the concept that based on who could be often found as guests of the inn that this might be someone they needed to listen to. Those further into their cups made some derisive comments and gestures while the knot of struggling roisterers ignored it completely. 

"As your Prince I again command you to hold!" Edmor tried again. 

By this time the three guards came to stand behind Edmor and Martin and their uniforms had a more evident impact on some of the more sober patrons, who began to edge their way toward the doorway. 

"Beggin' yer pardon, Yer Highness," one offered as he bowed a bit as they edged past. 

Martin edged a bit into the room to allow more space in the doorway as an invitation to those who might want to leave. A largish man stumbled clear of the scrum before the bar and collided with Martin's outstretched hands as he tried to fend him off. 

"Here now, little man," the brawler slurred as he turned and regarded Martin with bleary eyes. "Watch where ye be walkin'," he said reaching out to push Martin back. 

In the blink of an eye Martin had the arm of his would be assailant twisted up behind him so tightly that the bigger fellow was standing on his toe tips trying to relieve the pressure. Martin walked him over to the guards where two grabbed the man's arms and began moving him to the front door, with shouted protests marking his exit into the chill night air. Thinking that it might be best to try and pick the rowdies off one at a time Martin spotted a likely candidate near the edge of the struggling mass and he moved quietly up behind his target. Quickly, he reached out and clamped his hand on the man's shoulder at the base of the neck and squeezed hard. With a strangled yelp the man went to his knees and Martin followed up with a similar grip on the elbow joint of the arm on that side. He then lifted the man to his feet and turned him toward the doorway but two guards were already there to intercept him. 

"We got 'em, Sir Martin," one of them said. 

Apparently a couple of the brawlers weren't as drunk as their fellows and at the sound of the name 'Sir Martin', they froze momentarily. For one this meant getting sent to the floor by a flying elbow but the other was able to turn around and see Martin sizing up the group for another grab. When their eyes met the rowdy paled and began hitting the men nearest him, mumbling something frantically. It took a moment or two but eventually the knot untangled and the half dozen or so who remained standing stood looking at Martin with genuine fear. One had the presence of mind to help the fallen man to his feet. 

Edmor strolled up to stand at Martin's side and said, 

"It would appear all I really needed to do was invoke your name, Martin." 

Martin snorted a bit and then looked more closely at the brawlers. With narrowed eyes he scanned the faces and then asked quietly, 

"Those wouldn't happen to be regimental colors you're wearing, would they?" 

The man who had first recognized him gulped, nodded and then said, 

"Aye, that they be, Sir Martin. We was all at Blyden." 

"So, what? You didn't get enough fighting this past summer? You had to come here and look for more?"  

"Well, Sir, it's not like that. It's just that we was talking about how things were and ..." the man faltered. 

"Yes?" 

"Well, it be like this, you see, Sir," another began, "we be all from this area and we was all called up as levies for the same regiment, but some of us got pulled aside and assigned to the catapult crews to help the engineers." 

"Yes, I'm well aware that most of the crews were levies. What has that got to do with this fight?" 

"Well, you see, sir, um, it's like this..." the second man began and then stopped under Martin's gaze. 

With a sudden flash of realization Martin held up his hand and his eyes got very hard. He asked, 

"How many of you were on the catapults?" 

Three hands went up. 

"The rest of you were infantry?" 

All the rest but one nodded. That individual indicated he had been made an archer. Martin nodded and his lips tightened. 

"So this discussion you were having got to the point where someone suggested they did more fighting than the others and how easy it was for the catapult crews not having to be on the wall?" 

"Y-yes, yer honor," one of them stammered out. 

Whatever Martin was going to say in response was cut off when Edmor said from beside him with uncharacteristic seriousness, 

"I would never have thought that there would come a day when I would be embarrassed to say that I was a Prince of Cairstan, but that day has arrived. I cannot believe that not more than a few months ago you were all fighting, perhaps even shoulder to shoulder with Sir Martin or myself, and now you stand here brawling with each other over the question of who did more than the other. It is more than an embarrassment. It is a disgrace. A disgrace to those colors that you wear, but more to the memory of all those who now lie in cold graves beyond the walls of that city." 

The Prince let his gaze fall on each man's face, his own carrying a look of sadness and disgust. 

"I would strongly suggest that you take yourselves from this place and do not let something like this happen again. For if I should hear otherwise I will have you hauled up before Prince Haldorn unless I decide to flog you myself using the one good arm the Garniles left me," he concluded, then looked over his shoulder and added, "Gentlemen, if you would see that these brave fellows start their journeys home immediately." 

"Yes, Your Highness," the sergeant replied, then gestured for the subdued former levies to get moving. 

Edmor shook his head as he watched them pass. Then he turned to face Martin and said, 

"It would be laughable if it was not so totally ridiculous." 

"That's true, but it's an argument I've heard any number of times between all manner of different fighting men. There always seems to be someone who thinks they did more than their fair share and everyone else was slacking off." 

"I must say," came a feminine voice from the doorway, "you both handled yourselves very well. Martin, I would have expected to see a least a few unconscious men on the floor. You showed commendable restraint. And you brother dear, I definitely heard a bit of Father there in what you said. More than a bit, in fact." 

"Have a care, Martin. When she starts throwing compliments around like that, something is afoot," Edmor said with his usual grin. 

"And with a single sentence he shatters the illusion of maturity," Lezene responded with a grimace, but the amusement in her eyes gave lie to the words. "I would hope that now that you've had your entertainment for the evening we might consider retiring. Even with the prospect of a late morning, the ride was tiring and I am for bed." 

"Right you are, sister," Edmor said. 

As the three made their way out into the corridor Knutell was standing there with his daughter, his state of agitation obvious.  

"Your Highnesses, Sir Martin, my most sincere apologies." 

Edmor made to wave the man's comments away but Martin looked at the innkeeper and said, 

"You know, sir, I've been a guest in your inn on three occasions now, and twice I've found myself dealing with some pretty rough customers. It doesn't seem to fit with the elegance of the place." 

Lezene and Edmor were looking at Martin to see if they could catch a hint as to whether or not he was teasing the fussy man. 

"Oh, Sir Martin, had I known all those years ago when I agreed to take over the management of this inn, what I was in for. I thought it was such a fine place, right alongside the King's Highway as it is. And then there was the guests, members of the Royal family, courtiers and couriers. But I didn't count on all the farms and woodlots and their workers. I honestly do not know which is worse, after the harvest when they've received their full wages or during the winter when the boredom sets in." 

Martin was concentrating on what the man was saying, which was only right as he had initiated the conversation but he could see Jenin standing behind her father, rolling her eyes, indicating she had heard this particularly complaint any number of times. 

"Well, sir, nothing in life is ever as we expect. Perhaps you should give some thought to hiring a guard or two during those periods. Perhaps some veteran of the war that might need the extra wages," Martin offered. 

Knutell looked thoughtful and then said, 

"It is something to consider, Sir Martin. I will do so, most carefully." 

Martin gave a nod and then a small wink to the innkeeper's daughter, who had to hide her smile with a hand. Martin offered his arm to Lezene and with a small smile, she took it. Edmor followed behind but was first to reach his room and with a 'sleep well' closed the door behind him.  

Martin walked Lezene to her door where they shared a lingering kiss. As they separated Lezene gave Martin an enigmatic little smile and said,  

"I had never before seen you use the skills for which you are so famous. Most impressive."  

Then she slipped into her room. With a long sigh Martin moved further down the hall to his door. The ride had been relatively easy so he wasn't in a particular hurry to fall asleep so he lay under the covers with his hands behind his head thinking about what might be waiting for him in Marchesan. He fervently hoped it in no way resembled his more recent dreaming. It was this line of thinking that was interrupted when he heard a light tapping at his door. Wondering if another messenger had appeared he climbed out of bed and went to the door. 

"Yes? What is it?" 

"Open the door," Lezene hissed quietly. 

Too surprised to do anything else, he unlocked the door and began to open it when it pushed open just enough for Lezene to slip in quickly and then she pushed the door shut behind her. In an instant her arms were around Martin's neck and in the dim moonlight her lips found his. It was by far the most ardent kiss they had shared to that point. It didn't take long for Martin to respond. He pulled her tightly against him and he could tell she was wearing only a thin sleeping gown. They stayed locked together like that for some moments until she pulled her head back slightly but didn't ease her embrace by even a fraction. Even in the dim light Martin could see her smoldering eyes. 

"Well, my dear fellow, that was certainly worth the wait, but only just." 

"Lezene, are you sure about this? What about your brother down the hall?" Martin asked softly. 

"Sure? No. Need, want, desire, oh yes, my dearest. As to my brother, unless I miss my guess he'll be rather preoccupied tonight." 

Martin looked confused then said, 

"Jenin?" 

"That is correct. She's been in love with Edmor since she was sixteen or so. I'm fairly sure he returns her affections to some degree. But enough about others. Tonight is about us." 

With that she reclaimed his lips and any other consideration evaporated from Martin's mind. With a little encouragement from Lezene they slowly and carefully made their way to the bed without separating or falling over. The moonlight had faded to full dark before they spoke again. Martin was lying on his back with Lezene pressed up against his side, her head resting on his shoulder, the fingers of one hand lightly caressing his chest. She shifted her head a bit and he brought the side of his face to rest in her hair. She murmured low in her throat. 

"Do you mind if I ask you a question?" he asked. 

"And what would that be, my love?" she asked by way of reply. 

"This isn't going to cause a problem for you, is it? I mean we didn't cross any lines we shouldn't have, did we?" 

Her answer was a low and throaty chuckle.  

"You're concerned about my virtuous reputation, perhaps?" 

"Well, in a way. I just don't know what the rules are around here. I thought maybe Princesses had to save themselves for some noble or some such. I remember what Ilayza said that night about being someone's prize." 

She moved her head enough so that she could kiss his cheek. 

"I imagine that few men would be concerned about such at a time like this, but it makes me love you all the more. It might be true that a King's daughter would have few options, were it anyone other than my uncle. But I know that there were more than a few noble sons, and some fathers that had thought to press their suit for her hand. You probably know that story," she said, having settled her head down once again. "But I care little for such concerns, dearest. This last year and more have shown me there are far more serious issues to worry about. And I would imagine that no one would think to gain say what we share. In fact, my father is aware of my feelings for you and I'd imagine so does Mother." 

She could feel him draw in a deep breath and let it out slowly. 

"And what about the rest? The Net and all," he asked. 

"I will cherish the time we have together and endure what I must as women have from the dawn of time." 

The arm he had around her back pulled her tight and she pressed against him. Then he relaxed his grip and shifted around so he could look into her eyes and said, 

"I was thinking that it's kind of convenient that we have the chance to sleep in this morning. It would be a shame to waste it." 

With a smile and laugh she threw her arms around him and pulled him into a kiss that lasted well into the early morning hours.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.6K 965 36
Sequel to Inseparable. If you haven't read that then read it first.
146 0 20
A sequel of my old stories.
110 6 26
A Sequel to "Jealousy Among Them" and the class below some of our characters with more lore and villainy. (Read the first one first please)
69 0 14
When we are young we are taught the distiction between a hero and a villan, good and evil,savior and a lost cause the olny diffrence is just who i...