𝑪𝑨𝑳𝑳 𝑶𝑭 𝑻𝑯𝑬 𝑺𝑬𝑨 ¹...

By hiraethsr

❝ a mermaid belongs to the sea. she cannot stay on land without the guarantee of her death. ❞ ❝ yes, but her... More

.call of the sea
.epigraph
.prologue
.act one
i. verity of the sea
ii. a scroll of a quest
iii. a decision to make
iv. journey to rivendell
v. imladris
vi. son of arathorn
vii. a peculiar bunch
viii. a new friend
ix. secrets of the elves
xi. arguing knuckleheads
xii. damsel in distress
xiii. fellowship of the ring
xiv. lasting goodbyes
xv. and so it begins
.act two
xvi. secrets revealed
xvii. tales of the sea
xviii. jealousy is a fickle thing
xix. bane of my existence
xx. mines of moria
xxi. they are coming
xxii. the first battle
xxiii. fall of one
xxiv. bonding experiences
xxv. lothlórien
xxvi. lady of light
xxvii. river of sorrow
xxviii. departure from the elves
xxix. dangerous rendezvous
xxx. grief, we meet again
.act three
xxxi. blue
xxxii. a new hope
xxxiii. responsibility of the crown
xxxiv. that fateful day
xxxv. determind souls
xxxvi. enemy's words
xxxvii. a trace of hope
xxxviii. garden of butterflies
xxxix. riders of rohan
xl. water spirits
xli. mysteries of the earth
xlii. the dead returns
xliii. ghost counsel
xliv. mother knows best
xlv. what happens now?
.act four
xlvi. start of it all
xlvii. guard buffoons
xlviii. the first clue
xlix. death's door
l. prince of edoras
li. shadow of blood
lii. desperate lies
liii. royal blood
liv. roman
lv. unveiled
lvi. blood and water
lvii. peace in the chaos
lviii. calm before the storm
lix. slaughter of innocence
lx. final day
lxi. the odds
lxii. pin-drop
lxiii. one final spark
lxiv. rain in the fires
lxv. to the death
lxvi. battle of helm's deep
lxvii. victory...or not?
.act five
lxviii. end of the beginning
lxix. from death to life
lxx. the awakening
lxxi. recovery from hell
lxxii. half of the peculiar
lxxiii. glorious defeat
lxxiv. victorious rejoice
lxxv. happiness at last
lxxvi. hail !
lxxvii. the darkness seeps in
lxxviii. temporary farewells
lxxix. mated souls
lxxx. bonds with a princess
lxxxi. the other side
lxxxii. rightful heir to the throne
.act six
lxxxiii. little girls
lxxxiv. what the future holds
lxxxv. lost time
lxxxvi. a cry for help
lxxxvii. start of the end
lxxxviii. death is a friend
lxxxix. just before the end
xc. endless thoughts
xci. father dearest
xcii. the night before
xciii. on the eve
xciv. outside looking in
xcv. boromir's return
xcvi. end of an era
.epilogue
.author's note

x. frodo awakens

2.1K 91 6
By hiraethsr

╔═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╗

𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑻𝑬𝑵
❝ 𝒇𝒓𝒐𝒅𝒐 𝒂𝒘𝒂𝒌𝒆𝒏𝒔 ❞

╚═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╝

ON THE VERY RARE OCCASIONS IN which Vera Adelaide actually wakes up early, she tends to spend her time doing what she would normally do during her free time. However, since her arrival at Imladris, she barely got any free time since she was mostly studying or training. After her talk with Lord Elrond, she departed to her room to sleep but found herself unable to do so. She kept waking up at strange hours of the night until finally, the sun crept in and signaled the start of a new day. Immediately after the first ray hit her open balcony, Vera was surprisingly up and ready to leave.

Now, she sits with a book in her hand and apple in the other. She got used to the elves' diet consisting of greens and vegetables, adapting rather quickly to how they lived in Rivendell. Corin and Neptune weren't particularly lucky in that department as they desired meat above all things. Absent-mindedly skimming through the pages of the book she is entrapped in, the brunette munches on her apple quietly, savoring the taste. Swallowing the munched bit, she goes to grab another bite but is stopped when the apple falls off her hand. Or rather, is taken from her.

"Good morning, Vera!"

Recognizing the voices almost immediately, Vera looks up from her book with excitement as to greet the two Hobbits she loves to call 'friends.' Ignoring the fact that Merry took her bitten apple, she leaps to hug them, having to bend down slightly. "Merry! Pippin! How have you been?" she asks kindly, closing her book and setting it down after folding the corner of the page she stopped on.

"We'fe been shgood!" Merry replies, trying to speak through the mouthful of apple bits and grapes in his mouth. Cringing at the juice coming out, Vera inches away and sends a warning look to Merry.

"That is disgusting, Merry, do not eat with your mouth open," Vera scolds, removing the wet droplets on her face with a napkin. Merry grins sheepishly.

"Sorry 'bout Merry," Pippin apologizes. "How 'bout you? Have you fainted recently?" Seeing the fake, mocking, innocent smile Pippin sends her, Vera holds back a glare and smiles tightly. They were never going to let it go.

"Disappointingly, not. Don't get your hopes up, I doubt I will ever faint at the sight of anything again." Vera grins. She didn't know it then, but she was completely wrong in that statement. Pippin and Merry share a grin.

"Is that a challenge, Vera Roman?" Merry asks, a suggestive look in his eye. Vera raises her eyebrow, a little scared of what he and his companion are thinking about, but shakes her head anyway.

"No, I do not think—"

Before she could complete her sentence, however, the two Hobbits stand on their feet with mischievous grins. "Challenge accepted!" is all they say before rushing off to cause mayhem. A little fearful for her wellbeing, Vera leaves quickly after their departure with her book in a hurry, then she makes her way to the gardens.

Whatever it is that Merry and Pippin had planned, she hoped it wouldn't actually make her faint. While Vera is strategic and knows very well when she has lost, she is also extremely competitive and with the two mischief-makers causing her trouble, it could only cause more turmoil for the trio and Rivendell. Since it is rather early in the morning, the sun rising at the nine o'clock hour, Vera admires how beautiful nature looks with the golden glow of the sun upon it. She takes this moment to cherish the surroundings and the view around her, wondering if she'll ever be departed from it and if so, then if she'll ever return.

Leaves start falling from the vast trees looming over the residents, a signal that autumn is approaching and it won't be long till winter. Admittedly, she had never experienced a winter as the water feels the same when she's in her mermaid form. Flowers close-in on each other to protect themself from the upcoming frost, yet still displays itself so beautifully. Sighing in content, she closes her eyes for a moment to feel the sensation of the wind against her skin. She wished to stay in that moment forever, in complete bliss, and completely oblivious to the dangers of Middle Earth.

But unfortunately, she is sent back to reality by the thud of a walking stick and a murmur near where she stood. Opening her eyes curiously, she continues down the stoned path only to reach a white bench with a man sitting on it.

Or rather, a Hobbit.

Vera swallows thickly, hoping that she didn't faint in the presence of another creature of Middle Earth as she makes an effort to introduce herself to the Hobbit. Unlike the three she had met before, this Hobbit is old and grey, age catching up to him as he mumbles about a lost quill.

"Hello," Vera starts squeakily. She is going to overcome her fear of Hobbits even if it's the last thing she does. The Hobbit stops his investigation for his lost pen to look up at the angel in his presence. "Do you need help?"

"Oh, yes, dear," the Hobbit greets back briskly. "I seem to have lost something of mine. A– a quill. If you could be so kind..." he trails off, moving his head sideways to try and find the object.

Chuckling, Vera walks closer, sitting down next to the Hobbit and reaching for his hair. Grabbing the feathered quill, she points it in his face with a beam. "This quill?"

"O– oh, yes," the Hobbit mutters, surprise in his features. He laughs. "I seem to have forgotten it in my hair. Old age, I suppose. Strange feeling it is. What's your name, my dear?"

Politely, Vera smiles. "Vera Adelaide."

The Hobbit hums as if trying to let the name settle in his mind. With a click, he lights up. "So Gandalf was right, there's a princess in our midst!"

A nervous chuckle leaves Vera's lips, remembering the same name uttered out of Sam's mouth. "How much did Gandalf tell you exactly?" she queries, hopeful that not too much was revealed.

Much to her relief, the Hobbit shakes his head. "Nothing much, my Lady, actually, all he said was you are out at sea, a lot. I suppose you traveled here by ship, then?" he asks, his eyes glistening with interest. Unable to stop herself, Vera nods with a smile.

"How interesting, truly," he comments, his eyes gazing out as if reliving old memories. Vera could only imagine what adventures a Hobbit could've done. Snapping out of it quickly, he extends his hand towards Vera with a smile, "Oh, how rude of me. I have not introduced myself. I'm Bilbo Baggins."

Catching herself before she could choke on air, Vera gasps out for oxygen — shocked and surprised. "You are Bilbo Baggins?" the princess whispers, afraid that if she speaks louder then he would fade off into her imagination.

"Why, yes, I am," Bilbo replies, a happy smile on his face for getting recognition from a princess.

"I am going to faint," Vera murmurs, her eyes blurring slightly. Bilbo frowns at this, quickly holding his hands out to keep her upright.

"Now, don't do that," he says nervously. "I won't be able to catch you, my old limbs won't handle the weight! Not that I am saying you are overweight—" Bilbo's nervous ramblings seem to bring Vera some clarity as a laugh escapes her lips.

"Thank you. I'm sorry for that, I just happen to like your adventures," Vera says, a smile on her face. "Now, what is it you are writing?"

And that's how Vera spent her morning. In the presence of Bilbo Baggins, the one Hobbit she idolized above all else, with him recalling memories from his journey and his adventure to Erebor to help Thorin Oakenshield regain his throne. Bilbo reminisces of the wonders of the world, describing the beauties of Mirkwood to Vera and the graces of Queen Eden and her son. He exploits in the story of the Battle of the Five Armies, in which his friends fell to their death after the war with the orcs and Thranduil's own army. Vera is incredibly fascinated by his tale and sits through every single word, clinging onto it like a snake, hoping to hear more.

Unfortunately, before Bilbo could continue to tell his tale of his meeting with Queen Eden and his journey home, Pippin and Merry rush towards them with excitement in their eyes. Elation is evident in their features, lettingnout pants and breaths of happiness.

"Frodo—awake...coming...soon!" Merry lets out through gasps. Bilbo seems to understand immediately and demands where, the same burst of happiness in his eyes at the health of his nephew. Merry and Bilbo run off, Bilbo trailing behind him but still brisk on his feet. Vera helps Pippin engulf enough air to talk, ordering him to breathe.

Once he was okay, he grabs Vera's hand and runs after his cousin, Vera in his trail. "Frodo's awake!" Pippin mutters excitedly along the way, his eyes waiting to catch sight of Sam and Frodo approaching. Vera lets go of Pippin's hand, waiting for the group to embrace and have their moment together. Her heart warms and a smile graces Vera's soft features as she watches the four Hobbits reunite with one another. Though Merry did lie about the pointy, warty nose and the height of the Hobbit jumping in excitement before her, everything else fit into her mind decently.

Though Frodo is smiling happily and cheering with his overexcited friends, Vera could catch a glimpse of sadness in his eyes.

His ghostly blue eyes finally land on Vera's standing form by the bushes. Departing from Pippin's embrace, he goes over to stand in front of Vera curiously. Vera is about to introduce herself when Frodo speaks up first. "Are you the woman who faints upon seeing Hobbits?" he questions curiously, a teasing grin on his face.

Vera's jaw tightens and she throws a glare at the three guilty Hobbits before forcing a smile on her face and greeting Frodo back. "So, you have heard? I am Vera Roman. Do not trust everything you hear from those three; they are lying. Well, except Sam." She grins.

Frodo takes her outstretched hand and shakes it kindly. "Sam, surprisingly, may have mentioned something once or twice. Merry and Pippin are much more open about it. I think they take pride in the fact that they made you faint," Frodo whispers to her.

"Sam?!" Vera quietly gasps at Frodo's nodding head. Deciding to play along to his joke, she fake-glares at a gulping blonde Hobbit. "Oh, I shall deal with him later. I hate to keep your next visitor waiting. Tis nice to meet you, Frodo," she whispers, winking at the boy before standing upright and situating her glare at the three Hobbit boys.

"Oh, you three are so dead!"

═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══

After running around Imladris quite ungracefully, chasing after three terrified Hobbits, Vera soon retires to the same patio the four Hobbits reunited in. She then gives up on her pursuit for the three Hobbits she wished to choke to death, and sits down at the patio with a huff. She cannot believe that she wasted her time running around Rivendell — Elrond saw her a few times but walked away, muttering to himself to not bother asking — and wasting her breath and energy on the men. Vera ignores the pattering, hesitant footsteps and observes the mountain in front of her for the fifth time that week.

"Miss V—Vera," Sam timidly calls, inching closer and closer to the seat where Vera sits on. The princess stifles a laugh at the Hobbit, knowing fully well that she isn't actually mad at the Hobbits. With the arrival of news that the council will be appearing soon, Vera wanted to keep her friends as happy as possible, knowing that the upcoming days would be horrid for them, especially for inexperienced Hobbits like her new friends...and herself.

However, Vera chooses to have fun with Sam's fear and slowly faces the trembling boy, a glare splattered on. Sam gulps slowly, holding his hands out as if trying to calm a lion. Vera would've looked at him incredulously if she wasn't faking her anger. Instead, she narrows her eyes with a frown on her plump lips.

"Yes?" Vera's voice is cold.

"I—I'm sorry for telling Mister Frodo about your incident," he starts guiltily, shifting from one foot to another as he glances down with sorry. Vera's heart softens. "But, in my defense, I didn't tell him or anyone the reason...and, and Merry and Pippin started it!" he rushes to reconcile, his eyes widening to emphasize on his apology.

Vera's face hardens falsely before her expression slips into a happy, mischievous smile. "Oh, c'mon, Sam," she starts, walking over to hug the surprised Hobbit. "Did you really think I was mad at you for something as small as that?" She places her hands on his shoulders and peers down at him.  He looks up with innocent eyes, shrugging miserably.

"Yeah," he says.

"Well, I have another thing coming for you, Samwise Gamgee," Vera nudges his shoulder with a bright smile, forcing him to smile back. Bending closer to his height, she whispers in his ear, "Though, it'd be best to keep this from Merry and Pippin. I am having too much fun with this." Sam nods in agreement, detaching himself from the girl and moving forward to the bag that lies against the chest. As the Hobbit starts preparing his bag, Vera frowns at him in confusion. "You need some help with that?"

Sam snaps his head up as if he forgot that Vera is there in the same room. Nodding quietly, Vera smiles and steps towards the Hobbit. "What are you packing for?" She questions, folding a blanket neatly and placing it in the bags they used to travel with. He accepts it thankfully and sighs.

"Well...since we did what Gandalf asked of us and gave the ring off here...maybe, we can go back home. I mean, we did our task," Sam mumbles dejectedly. Vera stops in her folding, staring at the wooden table in front of her in thought. She never even thought about her friends leaving. Vera assumed that the people gathered here would be part of the upcoming journey that Elrond told her about but it suddenly occurs to her that, that isn't the case for everyone.

Sam is right. The Hobbits have already done what they promised by leaving the ring of power in Rivendell's hands. Though, it wouldn't be entirely safe at Imladris, it isn't part of their troubles anymore and they were ready to go home. It saddens Vera, hoping that her new friends would not leave so soon. But, in truth, Vera would rather them safe at home than on an adventure to destroy the ring of darkness. Pursing her lips, she continued with her folding and finds the words to reply to Sam's words.

"I suppose so," Vera says curtly. "I'm sure your gardens miss you as much as you miss them."

Sam sighs dreamily, remembering the feeling of his home and the greens and peace of The Shire. Vera could relate to the longing to return home. "Yeah. Now, what have I forgotten?" As Sam mulls over and counts the many things already packed in the bag, Vera gives the last blanket to Sam with a tight smile before taking her leave, giving Frodo a small smile as he enters.

Vera swallows the growing lump in her throat and bites back the sob escaping her lips. She feels the sadness and the grief of losing her friends, a concept she has never gone through in her eight hundred years of living. Though, mermaids are practically incapable of tearing up and crying unless they are completely depressed to the point of fading. Mermaids can't live with a broken heart.

Other than the extreme sadness that mermaids have to face to release one tear, another way to reduce a tear out of their eyes is happiness. Mermaids are too tough for the humane grief of man but happiness? Now, that's something that brings a tear to a mermaid's eye. The reason mermaids couldn't let out tears as easily as the rest of the world is because of the power that connects to the spirit. Because of its connection to the soul, the tears take the form of a white-silver color — a contrast to human tears — and a wisp of the mermaid's eye color.

Mermaid tears can give many riches to any man who comes across it and they were hunted over the years for it. This is why Queen Meri and King Clifford, Vera's grandparents, retreated into the ocean and away from Arda, hiding the existence and leaving them to myth.

But that night, Vera Roman's eyes rained down with clear, transparent tears.

Human tears.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2K 92 23
Here I am back again with my Elfling series here is book l all over again If you haven't read The first or second, third or fourth book then I would...
38.1K 1.2K 32
**FULLY EDITED** 🏅#2 in LOTR out of 6,000 stories 4/3/2024 🏅#1in Thorin 5/08/23 and again on 6/14/23 🏅#1 in thehobbit on 7/2/23 #1 in Thorinoakens...
75.7K 1.7K 20
Artemis that's my name. A Long long time ago a young elf prince gave it to me. He was the crowned elf prince of Mirkwood. His name Legolas he was a v...
17.6K 658 31
Here I am back again with my Elfling series here is book l all over again If you haven't read The first or second or third book then I would recommen...