The Art of the Hustle (Comple...

By EdwardMullen

Self-made billionaire, Trevor Morrison, recounts his life from being a poor kid from a small town to creating... More

Prologue
Part I - Rags / Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Part II - Riches / Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Epilogue
The Art of the Hustle 2

Chapter Nine

14.3K 379 18
By EdwardMullen

Darrell had grown up a bit in Vancouver, so he was familiar with the city. Whether it was taking the bus, finding the best pizza places, or going to the best neighborhoods to look for an apartment, he seemed to know it all. So I just followed his lead.  

For the first few weeks, I conformed to Darrell's lifestyle. We didn't really do much. We would wake up and watch TV until noon, have lunch, shower, and then hit the town. We were supposed to be looking for work, an apartment, and getting our lives together, but Darrell had other plans. He was more interested in going around town writing graffiti and hanging out at the mall. I was being drawn into the 'Darrell trap' - the unmotivated carefree life.  

During dinner, Jack and Judy asked us how the job hunt and the apartment search were going. Darrell always told them about all the places where we applied for work and all the apartments we had looked at. It was a complete lie; we hadn't done any of that.  

I think Darrell believed his dad would allow him to live in his house forever, but I was a little more sensible than that. At night, we could hear Judy screaming at her husband. She had reached her boiling point with us staying in the house. It was time to start making some serious moves, and we knew it. 

One day, Mr. Channing came downstairs to talk to me. Darrell was staying upstairs in the spare bedroom and was still asleep. I had been up for hours reading a Bill Gates biography I borrowed from Mr. Channing's personal library. 

"Good morning," Mr. Channing said. 

"Good morning," I replied. 

"How's the book?" he asked. 

"It's good so far." 

"So how's the job hunt coming along?" 

"To be honest, sir, we don't spend enough time looking for work. I don't really know the city that well so I end up following Darrell around and doing what he wants to do." 

"So is that your plan for life, just follow Darrell around?"  

"No, of course not." 

"Look, I know my son has some issues, but you seem to have a good head on your shoulders. You need to take control of your life." 

"Yeah, I know." 

"Trevor, let me tell you a little story." 

I settled in, waiting for Mr. Channing to tell his 'when I was your age' story. 

"Trevor, when I was your age, I was the father of two kids, my wife had just left me, and I was broke. It was one of the lowest points in my life. Instead of dealing with the problem, I found comfort hanging out with my friends and drinking until the early hours of the morning. I had no direction in life and therefore spent most of my time in dingy pool halls, drinking, gambling, and getting into trouble. Some of the guys who I was hanging out with at the time were...well, let's just say they were not outstanding citizens. Many of them sold drugs and did all kinds of nefarious activities that were against the law. Even though I hung out with them, I knew I wasn't really like them. 

Well, one day I saw this really cute girl walk pass me. She was so beautiful, I just had to talk to her, but I couldn't." 

"Why not?" 

"I didn't have the courage." 

"So what did you do?" 

"One of my buddies dared me to go talk to her; he was making fun of me, calling me a chicken. So I got up, walked right up to her and introduced myself. I was really nervous, but I think she liked that in me. I guess she could tell I was a good person. After that, we exchanged numbers and eventually started seeing each other.  

As it turned out, she happened to be a loans officer at one of the major banks in town. So one day, I mentioned an idea to her about starting my own pizzeria. She loved the idea and set me up with a small business loan to start my own business. 

Fast forward a few years, my business was booming and I was doing well. I wasn't rich or anything, but I was making a decent living. At that time, almost all of my friends were either dead, in jail, or strung out on drugs." 

"Wow, that's an interesting story." 

"Do you know what the moral of the story is, Trevor?" 

"Tell me." 

"The people you choose to surround yourself with can determine how your life turns out. Their influence can creep into your life in subtle ways that you may not fully realize in the moment. It's important to be mindful of which direction you're being pushed and pulled in. Do you understand?" 

I nodded my head in agreement as I understood what he was trying to say. It was the same message Ms. Bennett was trying to tell me. I wasn't sure if this was just general good advice older generations liked to impart on youth, or if the universe somehow placed these people in my life to warn me. The funny thing was, in both instances, Darrell seemed to be the person they were warning me about. 

"So what ever happened with you and the girl?" I asked. 

"I married her."  

Mr. Channing left me to heed his words of wisdom. I contemplated the message at the same time staring at the picture of Bill Gates on the cover of his book. I then glanced around Mr. Channing's beautiful house. The first thought that occurred to me was, I need to start making money. From all the shopping I was doing, my bank account was quickly dwindling. Something needed to change. 

At around 7:00 in the evening, I went upstairs to Darrell's room and knocked on his door. There was no answer. I opened the door and saw him completely passed out. "Hey, Darrell," I said. 

"Whaaattt?" he let out a miserable groan.  

"I'm going to start my own business."  

He still didn't move or say anything. 

"Darrell, wake up, man, this is important," he was obviously not the best choice for a business partner, but I needed him. I knew if I talked about all the money we would make, I could get him on board with the idea.  

After he woke up a bit, I began my pitch. "Okay, here's what we do. We go to The Home Warehouse and get one of those high-powered pressure washers. Then we go around charging people to pressure wash their driveways. We can even approach businesses and clean their awnings, sidewalks, elephants, you name it!" 

"Okay, so how do we 'go around', we would need a truck or something." 

"Then we get a truck," I retorted back immediately.  

I had given this a lot of thought and consideration before I decided whether the plan was feasible. However, Darrell was on board almost instantly - probably not a good sign, but I ignored it.  

"Alright, so I checked online and priced out pressure washers. The cheapest ones I found cost about $1,500.00. Once we pick that up, we can get a cheap truck for around $2,000.00. We also need some miscellaneous gear, like gloves, goggles, boots, and maybe a couple signs for the truck. We could probably pick up all that stuff for around $200.00. We still need money for insurance and gas for the truck, oh, and advertising too. I haven't priced that stuff out yet, but I think our total startup cost will be under five grand."  

I gave him a moment to let the information sink into his brain.  

"The work won't be too bad, and the money will be good. We can charge fifty dollars an hour for the pressure washing, and we can also use the truck in other ways as well. I was thinking we could also do trash removals and small moves."  

"Okay, bro, let's do it," Darrell said. 

"So, Darrell, I can come up with $2,500.00, but I need you to come up with the other $2,500.00 so we can get started. What do you think?"  

I knew Darrell didn't have $2,500.00 - he probably didn't even have $250.00 - but his dad did. I could have easily financed this project on my own, but by bringing Darrell on, I didn't have to risk all of my money up front, plus I would have a partner who could do half of the work. 

Just as I had expected, Darrell asked his dad for the money. It took a little convincing, but after we showed Mr. Channing our business plan, he knew we were serious. After all, he knew firsthand what it was like to be passionate about an idea, but not have the capital to get it off the ground.  

Over the next couple of days, we followed Mr. Channing's lead. Since he had chipped in Darrell's share of the investment, he appointed himself as a silent partner. At first, I was enthusiastic about his involvement in the company because of his life experience and business savvy. But almost immediately, this enthusiasm waned and was replaced by great reluctance. Mr. Channing soon revealed another side of himself than the benevolent mentor I first thought he was. He was arrogant about his abilities and on several occasions referred to himself as a business and marketing genius - a strange statement for anyone to utter about themselves regardless if it was true. As such, all of his ideas were implemented and ours were dismissed.  

That would be okay if he truly was what he claimed to be, but I saw no proof of it. In fact, there was a lot of evidence to support the contrary. The more I thought about it, Mr. Channing was only successful because of his wife. Underneath the fancy exterior of the Shaughnessy home, Mercedes Benz, and designer clothes, he was still a street hustler, but in all the wrong ways. Landing a woman like Judy was his ultimate achievement in life. In addition to that, he was incredibly condescending. It was beginning to be Jack's company and we were just his employees.  

The sole reason I entered into this venture was to avoid being an employee, so I was a little annoyed from the start. Any respect I still had for Mr. Channing was eventually lost when we were in a hardware store and I saw him casually sneak several expensive tools under his jacket and walk out without paying. I couldn't believe my eyes at first. I called him out on it, but he denied it completely. Now I had a few more pieces of the puzzle about Jack Channing; he was a thief, a liar, and delusional. His egotism and highly questionable ethics convinced me early on that we needed to remove him from the picture as soon as possible.  

I swallowed my pride and worked with my new team as best I could. With our pooled money, we put together everything we needed. We found a decent truck, we picked up the pressure washer, had some signs and some t-shirts made, and we even secured our first client, Mr. Channing's next-door neighbor. I had prepared a set of flyers that we could hand deliver throughout neighborhoods to get business. I also created a survey/thank you letter to give to clients. The survey was designed to give us insight on how we could improve our business, and the thank you letter would leave a good impression on the client so we could get more referrals.  

We were officially in business. 

*** 

Judy was so sick of us living in the house that she found us a one-bedroom apartment in the West End overlooking the Pacific Ocean. I was looking for a two bedroom, but that was not in Darrell's budget.  

We decided to flip a coin to see who would get the bedroom and who had to sleep in the living room. I won the coin toss fair and square.  

"Not so fast, bro," Darrell said, suddenly inventing new rules, "you haven't won anything; it's best two out of three."  

The coin was flipped again and it came up heads for the second time in a row. I had officially won the bedroom. In Darrell's mind he was probably searching for another dirty tactic to change the outcome. He begrudgingly lost and was noticeably unhappy about it. 

The next day, Darrell told me he had to go somewhere with his dad. Everything was always so vague with him, for all I knew, he was leaving town.  

*** 

"Trevor, you have a phone call!" Judy yelled out from upstairs. 

"Hello?" I said. 

"Hi, Trevor, my name is Marc Andrews. I'm the manager of the Athletic Surplus, how are you?" 

"I'm very well, Mr. Andrews, how are you?" 

"I'm alive, so I can't complain. Listen, Trevor, I have your résumé here and I'm calling to see if you're still interested in the sales position you applied for?" 

Things weren't exactly going well with the pressure washing business, but I wanted to stick with it. I was down to my last thousand dollars and I could really use some consistent paychecks.  

"I really appreciate the call, Mr. Andrews, but I have found employment elsewhere. But if things don't work out, I would love the opportunity to work for you." 

*** 

Darrell and his dad returned later that night. Jack had bought Darrell a bunch of new furniture and they had moved it into the new apartment, into the bedroom. There was no excuse, no apology, no nothing. It was blatant thievery, plain and simple. Lying, stealing, and manipulating were things this family was accustomed to doing in order to get what they wanted. My disdain for both of them continued to grow week after week. This was the beginning of the end.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

972 73 28
It's a story about a billionaire whose ruthless and endless things like other Wattpad books but the twist is there's a girl whose a millionaire with...
9.8M 250K 36
After surviving a tsunami together, art collector Genevieve and CEO Tristan face endless hurdles back home in the shape of vengeful exes and dark fam...
892 106 19
β˜†β˜…β˜†β˜…β˜†β˜…β˜† ✡ π‘²π’Šπ’‚π’π’”π’‰π’‚ π‘ͺ𝒉𝒂𝒖𝒉𝒂𝒏 ✡ 𝐴 20 π‘¦π‘’π‘Žπ‘Ÿ π‘œπ‘™π‘‘ π‘”π‘–π‘Ÿπ‘™. 𝐿𝑖𝑣𝑖𝑛𝑔 β„Žπ‘’π‘Ÿ 𝑙𝑖𝑓𝑒 π‘π‘’π‘Žπ‘π‘’π‘“π‘’π‘™π‘™π‘¦. π‘ˆπ‘›π‘‘π‘–π‘™ π‘œ...
15.8K 836 36
[C O M P L E T E D] Ethan Desmond Moretz When a lot of men are busy making themselves millionaires and billionaires,Ethan Moretz is one step ahead. H...