Serendipity (S. Black)

By wildflowersandink

BOOK #1 Serendipity (n) finding something good without looking for it - Marauders Era Fanfiction - Eva Taylo... More

Author's Note
SERENDIPITY
ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
TWELVE
THIRTEEN
FOURTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
EIGHTEEN
NINETEEN
TWENTY
TWENTY-ONE
TWENTY-TWO
TWENTY-THREE
TWENTY-FOUR
TWENTY-FIVE
TWENTY-SIX
TWENTY-SEVEN
TWENTY-EIGHT
TWENTY-NINE
THIRTY
THIRTY-ONE
THIRTY-TWO
THIRTY-THREE
THIRTY-FOUR
LILY'S PHOTO ALBUM, PT. 1
THIRTY-FIVE
THIRTY-SIX
THIRTY-SEVEN
THIRTY-EIGHT
THIRTY-NINE
FORTY-ONE
FORTY-TWO
FORTY-THREE
FORTY-FOUR
FORTY-FIVE
FORTY-SIX
FORTY-SEVEN
FORTY-EIGHT
FORTY-NINE
FIFTY
FIFTY-ONE
FIFTY-TWO
FIFTY-THREE
LILY'S PHOTO ALBUM, PT. TWO
CHARACTER Q&A Pt. 1 (CLOSED)
CHARACTER Q&A Pt. 2
1MILLION Q&A (1)
1 MILLION Q&A (2)

FORTY

17.5K 537 638
By wildflowersandink

-definitely James to Lily at one point

*

For the seventh years, the first day of school was spent in conferences with the Heads of Houses for career prospects. A large mass of Gryffindors stood in line outside of Professor McGonagall's office, waiting to find out if they'd been offered positions anywhere. Most young wizards and witches aimed to have jobs secured for themselves before they left Hogwarts. This wasn't something Eva was particularly looking forward to because she expected no offers whatsoever due to her blood status. She kept her arms folded to her chest and her gaze to the ground. Sirius looked incredibly disgruntled at the mere idea of waking up early for anything and leaned against the wall, a tired yet haughty expression on his handsome face. Lily tried engaging Remus and James, but both of their minds were clearly somewhere else. Out of pure boredom, Marlene and Peter began to play rock-paper-scissors.

Out of their group, James went in first, a bright smile on his face. McGonagall smiled slightly when she saw the boy wearing his new badge, a suggestion she'd made to Dumbledore on a whim. She thought that perhaps he'd grown up enough that summer to earn it.

"Top of the morning to ya, Professor," He said through a yawn as he sat down, rumpling his hair out of habit. "Lovely weather we're having."

"Good morning, Potter. How was your holiday?"

James hesitated. "Eventful."

"So I heard," she said, a frown on her face. The news of Eva's torture and her mother's death was a shock at the least, but she took comfort in the idea that she was safe with the Potters. Euphemia and Fleamont were caring to a fault, and as for James, the professor had never met someone so dedicated to his friends. "So I heard." She cleared her throat before continuing. "As you know, we are here to discuss your career prospects-"

"I got an offer from Puddlemere United, didn't I?"

His interruption took her aback for a moment, but McGonagall nodded, a proud feeling swelling up in her chest. He deserved this.

"I'm not taking it."

It wasn't the first time James Potter had rendered Minerva McGonagall speechless, but this one really stumped her.

"Have a biscuit, Potter."

James did a double-take. "I- what?"

"Have a biscuit." She held out a tin of cookies that always sat on the corner of her desk and made him take one. "Potter," she said quietly, "we've been working carefully on your Quidditch prospects since your third year. The chance may never come again. I urge you to reconsider your decision."

"I know." She saw a dream shut down behind his hazel eyes. "I've thought about it already. I'm turning them down. I'm also going to turn down the other two that we both know are coming. I- I want to help Dumbledore in any way I can, and that'll be a lot harder if I'm playing pro-Quidditch far away from here."

The professor and student sat in silence for a moment. James fiddled with his thumbs, trying to ignore the crushing disappointment he felt in himself.

"Well," McGonagall said after a long pause, "if that's really what you want, then I cannot stop you."

It wasn't, but he was going to do it anyway.

"I do need your help, though." James shrugged. "I have no idea what I want to do now."

McGonagall scanned his transcripts of grades throughout the years. "Potter, your examinations are relatively high in all subjects, so your options are limitless. If you're not opposed to writing and would prefer something close to home, I could put you in contact with a friend of mine at the Daily Prophet. They're always looking for Quidditch correspondents. You'd probably work at the Ministry, with the Department of Magical Games and Sports. Otherwise, if you're looking for a more thrilling occupation, I might suggest becoming a curse-breaker or an Auror."

James sat up a bit straighter, interested. "A Quidditch correspondent?"

"Yes. You'd follow along with the league and report for the paper."

"That would be great. Thank you." While it wasn't a job he'd always dreamed of, James was grateful to have a career close to home and close to his interests. He stood up. "I won't waste any more of your time, Professor. See you around."

"Potter!" She called with his back turned to her. He spun around, ready to listen. "Hypothetically, if Miss Taylor were to receive an offer similar to yours, would she take it?"

His lips quirked upwards at hypothetically, but to her dismay, he shook his head. "We talked about it over the summer."

James left with a small wave and no more words, leaving McGonagall to straighten her papers and sigh to herself, knowing that she was in for a very depressing morning.

Lily Evans poked her head into the room, her forehead creased in confusion. Once she sat down, she didn't politely say hello like she usually would. Instead, she asked, "What's wrong with Potter? He just walked past us. He didn't say anything at all."

Professor McGonagall's stern face softened, surprised at the girl's concern. "He'll be all right, Miss Evans. At any rate, his consultation is not our business to discuss. We are here to talk about your career options. I know you had an interest in working at St. Mungo's in the past."

Lily bit her lip and looked down, her coppery hair covering most of her face. "You don't have to do this."

"Do what?" McGonagall asked, alarmed.

"Pretend. We both know that they're not hiring Muggle-Borns anymore," Lily whispered, staring at her hands so she didn't have to stare at the pity in her professor's face. "I looked into it this summer."

"You're very intelligent, but you're only partially correct." McGonagall gave her a thin smile. "The hospital won't ask if you don't tell."

Her head snapped up. Hope filled her green eyes. "Really?"

"Yes. If you want to work as a healer, you are more than able to. You just can't go around flaunting your heritage. We aren't at a time where they will automatically turn you away because of your parentage, thank God, but it's still not a thing to advertise." McGonagall hated herself for having to say these words. Discrimination angered her more than almost anything else. Before her sat one of the brightest witches she'd taught in years, and she had to hide where she came from just to get a fair shot in the world.

"I understand," Lily said quietly. "Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that I get to do this, but it's terrible."

"I know," she replied. "You have a bright future, Miss Evans. Don't waste your talents."

Lily gave her a sweet smile before scooping up her bag and leaving.

After a few more meetings with other members of Gryffindor House, McGonagall's eyes fell on the next name on her list.

"Tough morning, Professor?" Eva asked, grinning a bit as she slid into the seat. The girl radiated light wherever she went. McGonagall hoped the war wouldn't change her but knew it would. Violence changes everyone and everything in its path. "You look particularly irritated with that piece of parchment."

The professor gave her a wry smile. "It's been... interesting."

"Well, you've already spoken to James, so I think I'd be more surprised if it wasn't interesting." She gathered up her blonde curls and pulled them into a ponytail. "Thank you for giving me Quidditch Captain, by the way. I thought it was going to James for sure."

"Well, after watching you play last season, I think you deserve it." Eva blushed with pride. "Do try to win this year, won't you? I've been bragging to Professor Slughorn about the fantastic team we don't have yet."

"You bet!"

"I'm glad to hear it, but we must get back to our meeting. I have interesting news for you, Miss Taylor." McGonagall handed her an official-looking parchment. As Eva's eyes quickly scanned it, she kept speaking. "The Holyhead Harpies want to take you on as a backup Keeper."

"The Holyhead Harpies?" Eva whispered, never tearing her eyes away from the page, almost like she thought it would vanish if she blinked. "Sweet Merlin..."

"It's a very prestigious offer," McGonagall said even though she already knew this. "They're the only all-female team in the league. If I were you, I would-"

"This is wrong." Eva's fingers gripped the corner of the parchment. Her nose wrinkled up. "This information is wrong. It says I'm a half-blood."

Professor McGonagall pursed her lips, not surprised that the girl had caught that, but saddened because she did. "I wasn't about to let you lose the chance of a lifetime because of something as ridiculous as blood prejudices."

"You lied to the professional leagues for me?" Eva asked, astonished. McGonagall nodded, and Eva passed the parchment back to her teacher, disgust for the team on her face. "I appreciate that, but I can't play for a team that wouldn't let me on if they knew who my parents were. I just can't."

"I thought you'd say that," the older witch said with a sad smile. "I wish I could give you something better."

"Yeah, I know." Eva sighed, fighting the self-hate that welled up inside of her. She shifted in her seat, trying to steer the meeting back on track. "Was that my only offer for anything?"

"You've also received an offer from the Ministry of Magic," McGonagall stated. Her voice took on an uncomfortable tone like she disapproved of this idea. "In the Department of Magical Law Enforcement."

"Really?" Eva asked excitedly. "That's where I wanted to work! It's what I wanted to do! I'll be able to write the laws! Thank you!"

"The job they're offering you is secretarial work." An unreadable expression crossed Eva's face, and McGonagall frowned. She deserves more than this. "Poor pay. Little chance for advancements or promotions."

"They want me to be an office secretary?" Eva fell silent, at a loss for words. "But... I have top grades. My exam results were all high. I have a good record. And they want me to be a secretary? Why?"

She didn't sound angry, which only hurt McGonagall further. Just sad, and understanding. She knew exactly why.

"I'm sorry, Miss Taylor. I know it's not exactly what you were hoping for-"

"It's okay. I'll just... I'll just have to prove them wrong. That's all. Mhm. Prove them wrong. Right." She nodded, almost convincing herself that everything was all right, but tears pricked at the corners of her eyes. "All right. Um, you can mark that I'll take the job at the Ministry. Thank you for your help, Professor."

Eva grabbed her schoolbag and ducked out of the room before her emotions could betray her further. She ran past Sirius, who frowned, but he couldn't go after her because he was next, and Remus, who didn't even register her brief presence.

Carrying a mug of coffee, Sirius winked at the teacher as he lounged back on his seat, but worry filled his dark gray eyes. "Is Eva okay?"

Professor McGonagall shook her head. "That's not in my business to share. I'm sure she will tell you if you ask."

"Fair enough. Hey, did you miss me this summer?"

"Oh, more than anything," she retorted drily, although the boy's humor always amused her. She would miss giving their little club detentions next year. "I understand you're living alone now?"

"Yeah, I've learned a lot." He took a sip of coffee and grimaced. "Merlin, do you have any sugar? Eva drinks coffee that tastes like tar."

She summoned a bowl of sugar and a spoon with a simple wave of her wand. "What have you learned from living by yourself?"

"Let's see." He began to tick them off on his fingers. "I wear a lot more clothes than I thought I did. Cooking is hard. Apartments don't come with furniture. Never tell James your address unless you want him to Floo to your place while you're trying to eat a crummy dinner that took you three hours to make and it's still not good." He winked. "Good friends, a roof over my head, a beautiful girlfriend, and a war on the horizon. I'm living the dream, Minnie."

"Wonderful. In the last few months, have you thought at all about your plans for after graduation?"

"Yeah, I've got a decent plan with two possible outcomes."

"Oh?" She arched her eyebrow severely. "Would you care to elaborate, Sirius?"

Minerva McGonagall called almost every student by their last name. It was a force of habit, something she'd always done. However, since Sirius has run away, she stopped using his last name, sure that he didn't want to be associated with his family any more than he had to.

He shook his head, a rueful grin on his face. "Nah, it's kind of personal. And slightly stupid."

"I doubt it's 'stupid'."

"Well, it will be if I don't get the outcome I want." He stretched and brushed some hair out of his face. "Enough about that. I assume what you actually want to hear is career crap, so here goes. I plan on becoming an Auror. I reckon I have the grades for it and the Prewetts said they'd put in a good word for me at the Auror office."

They conversed for a few more minutes about his chances at the Ministry before Sirius strutted out. Professor McGonagall smiled to herself as she straightened up her papers once again, wondering what exactly his 'stupid' plan was and whether he'd make it as an Auror. The door creaked open and another student entered, causing her light spirits to fail. This was the meeting she'd been dreading all morning.

Remus quietly sat down in his seat. She noticed bags under his eyes and new scars from the summer, exhaustion evident all over his face. How close was the full moon? His eyes flitted around nervously for a moment before he sighed and folded his hands. "None, right?"

Staring at the defeated boy across from her, Minerva felt her heart shatter.

"I'm sorry." Her voice cracked with the two words, so she cleared her throat and tried again. "Mr. Lupin, I think that-"

"It's okay. It's not your fault. It's no one's fault. I wasn't expecting anything else. I'll just... I'll figure something out." He stood to leave, his head pounding.

"Mr. Lupin-"

"I'm fine, really." His voice sounded strained, and his gaze fell to his hands, where he noticed a few scars from the last full moon that he hadn't seen before. The sight only aggravated him further. "I'll just go."

*

Eva picked at the grass, plucking a few wildflowers from the ground. She pulled her knees to her chest and stared out at the lake, a melancholy feeling settling in her heart. Her memories strayed to that day they all went swimming, that day she kissed Sirius in the Black Lake at sunset without a single care. Had it really only been a few months? She felt like a completely different person.

Remus wordlessly sat down beside her and stretched out his long legs, contemplating what exactly to say. He could tell she was almost as disappointed as he was, although he didn't know the reason why.

"So..." Eva began to weave a crown of flowers just to keep her hands busy. "Who's going to talk first?"

"Sirius said you ran off. He would have come himself, but James went AWOL too, so we're dividing and conquering."

"Ah. Smart strategy." She wondered if James had also turned down Quidditch teams. That would certainly be enough to put him in a bad mood. "Yeah, I did run off."

"Well, you can share if you want. No pressure, though."

Eva smiled wistfully at his soft manner. "I got an offer to play for the Holyhead Harpies, but only because they think I'm a half-blood."

"Was that your only job offer?"

She shook her head. "No. I took a job in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, but it's as a secretary. I know it sounds stupid, but I just hoped for... I don't know, more."

"No wonder. You're way too incredible to take notes for some crusty old man your whole life." He looked over at her, smiling gently. "At least you'll be in the Ministry. Dumbledore's going to need spies. You'll be useful."

"I hadn't thought of that. I guess that's true," she said, bumping her shoulder into his. "What about you?"

Remus felt a lump form in his throat. She saw a deadened look in his eyes and frowned.

"Nothing. Not a single one."

Eva felt tears burning in her eyes as he said this. Next to her sat one of the kindest, smartest people she'd ever met. Younger students loved him and so did the teachers. He didn't deserve this. Carefully setting the flower crown on the grass, she leaned over and put her head on his shoulder, the wool of his sweater itchy against her cheek. He leaned his head on hers, and the two just sat in silence for the longest time.

"You know," She whispered softly, "It's not fair. None of this is fair. I wanted to work with the Ministry to make a difference. To help everyone discriminated against, and it looks like I'm going to be filing paperwork instead." She took a deep breath. "I'm so sorry, Remus."

"I saw it coming," he murmured, "so why does it still hurt?"

"If you knew you were going to trip and fall, you might brace yourself, but it still would hurt."

He chuckled. "Very wise."

"I know. You should start embroidering my inspirational quotes on throw pillows or something." She smiled, but it soon faded away. "Can I ask you a question?"

"Shoot."

Eva shifted but remained on his shoulder. It felt nice, just to be comfortable with a friend. "Are you upset about James getting Head Boy?"

"No," Remus answered truthfully. "James is much more of a leader than I'll ever be."

"I don't think that's true. I just think he's louder about his leadership, but quiet leaders are just as effective."

Somehow, her words made him feel better about everything, which he couldn't have imagined happening after that meeting. "Thanks, Eves."

"Don't get soft on me," she teased. Setting the flower crown on his head, she added, "Look, you can be the king if you want."

"Of what? The hippie movement?" He lifted the crown off of his head and placed it on Eva's curls. "It looks better on you anyway."

"Aw, shucks." Eva winked, stood, and offered him a hand. "I'm tired of sulking. Wanna go watch Ringo crash into rafters in the Owlery?"

Remus laughed. "More than anything."

*

At the end of the night, Lily curled up on her favorite armchair in the common room with a book on healing spells, reasoning that they might come in handy someday. A cold cup of tea sat on the table in front of her. Almost everyone had gone to bed, leaving the room empty except for her. That was how she liked it. Quiet. Peaceful. Marlene and Eva had turned in hours ago, but she insisted on staying awake. They pretended to not know why.

The portrait hole creaked open. Her green eyes flicked up from the page, and she frowned when no one entered. Pulling her wand out of the pockets of her jeans, she whispered, "Lumos" but still found nothing.

"Put the wand down."

Lily let out a little shriek and stumbled back, clutching her heart. James tossed the invisibility cloak onto the couch and walked over to her, his eyebrows drawn together in concern.

"Evans? You okay?"

"Merlin, Potter!" she hissed, her heart thudding rapidly in her chest as she tried to calm down. "I didn't know it was you!"

He raised one of his eyebrows. "Who else would have decided to wander the hallways under an invisibility cloak literally two days after a new curfew was put in?"

"No one," Lily muttered, sinking back into her chair. "You really shouldn't be out this late."

"What? You gonna report me?" He grinned and crashed on the couch, taking up all of it. "I am sorry, though. I thought you would know it was me."

"No, it's fine." She picked up her book again and stifled a yawn behind her hand. How was it already midnight?

James propped himself up on his elbows. "Whatcha reading?"

"A book on healing spells," she answered. "What were you doing out so late? No one saw you at dinner."

Lily left out how worried she had become when no one could find him. Sirius believed he just wanted to be left alone, but it didn't quench her concerns in the slightest. It was the only reason she was still awake.

"I was walking."

"Walking?"

"Yep. With my legs."

"Good for you." She buried her nose back in the book, embarrassed about how much she worried about him when he only went on a simple walk.

James watched her read by firelight, listened to the crackling of the fire and the rustling of pages. The air smelled faintly of smoke and tea. It was the most content he'd felt all day.

"Can you teach me?"

"Hm?" She asked, still mostly absorbed in her book.

"I'm rubbish at healing spells. You aren't. Can you teach me how to do them?"

Now he had her full attention, and she carefully bookmarked the page before looking up. "Why?"

To her surprise, he blushed a bit at her question. "No reason."

She didn't believe that for one second. "Why?" She repeated.

He rolled over on the couch and stared up at her. She blushed when his hazel eyes met her green ones. It felt like time had stopped.

James' thoughts strayed to his boggart. The memory of her dead on the ground was enough to send shivers down his spine. Then he remembered feeling helpless as Eva collapsed in his arms, terrified as helped Sirius stumble over to his couch.

"I just... I need to know how."

James' voice trembled ever so slightly with fear. The average listener wouldn't hear it, yet Lily caught it and frowned. She didn't like seeing any of her friends like that, but maybe because James always seemed so invincible and full of bravado, this one hurt more.

"Okay." She smiled encouragingly at him as she said this, and he smiled, too. Another yawn escaped her mouth.

"Off to bed with you, Evans," James whispered. "You can't go falling asleep on me because I can't carry you up to the dormitory. Then I'd be as stupid as Pads."

Lily giggled through a yawn at the memory of Eva and Sirius sliding down the stairs-turned-slide. "I'm not tired."

"You're about as good at lying as Blondie is at Potions."

"She passed her O.W.L. in Potions," Lily argued sleepily.

"With an Acceptable," James retorted. "Your lying skills are acceptable at best. Barely passing."

"Shut up," she mumbled. "Why don't you just go to bed?"

"Because I'm waiting for you," he said innocently, giving her puppy dog eyes. She rolled her own.

"You might be waiting a while, then."

"Can I have your book?"

"No."

"Please?"

"No." She thrust him a random one off of the table. "Read this one."

James frowned at the Charms textbook she gave him but opened it anyway. She slowly lost herself back in the pages of her book. However, her eyelids began to droop not too long after. Determined to stay awake longer than James, she shook her head a little and took a sip of cold tea, hoping it would boost her energy.

Sirius found both of them passed out in the common room the following morning, draped over the chair and couch. He only smiled, shook his head, and left for breakfast.

Hi! Hope you all enjoyed this one

I made myself sad writing the first half of this chapter, but the second half made me so happy :)

QOTD: favorite Weasley?

AOTD: Bill or Ron!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

440K 10.7K 53
(Re-editing) It's clear that Severus Snape has never been great friends with the chaotic group known as the marauders but when his twin sister must b...
795K 29.2K 65
[Complete] Maybe, fate didn't want Hermione Granger to run away. Maybe, fate wanted Hermione Granger to change the world instead. || In which, with a...
39.7K 1.3K 29
"So if its words that you are looking for McKinnon, I am fluently gifted with the art of speaking. But I'd much rather spend every day showing you ex...
20.1K 1K 41
"There is this thing about you that amazes me every time I look at you, but I just can't quite comprehend." "Maybe it is beyond your understanding." ...