apricity || JJ (outer banks)

By avxngers

apricity โ the warmth of the sun in the winter โž in which he was the sun that made her winters better. and s... More

APRICITY
epigraph
one
two
three
four
five

PROLOGUE

601 25 2
By avxngers

PROLOGUE: before the storm

*⋆.*:・゚ .: ⋆*・゚: .⋆

Marlee awakens to the movement on her bed, tensing slightly.

   "S' just me, Mar," mumbled the familiar voice of JJ. She feels the bed dip with his weight, her chest deflating with the knowledge. It wasn't uncommon for JJ to wind up at her house, usually spending most of his nights with her or John B.

   "You okay?" asked Marlee, opening her eyes slightly. She didn't turn around, not wanting to see if her best friend was beaten. Every time it happened she couldn't help the tears in her eyes, but JJ dismisses it like nothing.

JJ wraps his arms around the redhead, pulling her closer to his chest gently. Marlee tries not to move in case he's sore. "I am now," he sighed, his head resting near the crook of her shoulder. Just that alone told her it was bad. Most nights that JJ stays over, he keeps his distance. When he doesn't, something really went wrong at home, and it pains Marlee to think about. She just wished he never had to go back there, but knows it's not that easy. Despite everything, it's his dad.

   "Need me to clean anything up?" Marlee questioned, the phrase used when he had bad cuts, usually on his cheek. She would always be there to pick up the pieces. Being only a few houses down, it seemed to be JJ's easiest escape, and she never minded.

She listens for a long moment, not getting answer. Only hearing steady breaths, she assumes he fell asleep already. Whatever it was took a lot out of him, and Marlee was relieved he felt okay enough to get some sleep at her house. Running her hand back and fourth lightly over his hand, she settles back comfortably, trying to put the boy out of her mind and get back to sleep. They've been like this for years, she should be used to it by now. She should be used to him. But every time he holds her like this, Marlee can't help it. It's only because he needs comfort, there wasn't any underlying reasons. She has to tell herself that, so her mind doesn't wander. She already spent her childhood practically in love with JJ, and now that they were older, she didn't want to do it again in fear of loosing him. Whatever happened between them now, didn't escalate to feelings.

Shaking her head lightly, Marlee falls asleep to the steady sounds of JJ's breaths, not minding the tight hold he had on her.

*⋆.*:・゚ .: ⋆*・゚: .⋆

Marlee picks up the note on her dresser, smiling at the messy handwriting. 'Meet us at John B's. -J' Quickly tossing on some shorts and a tank top, she slips her shoes on and heads out of her room to check on Gramma Jean. Lately, she had been having more trouble feeding herself with how shaky she had grown. She spots the woman seated at the table, already eating the breakfast Marlee usually had to make.

  "That boy of yours came through this morning. Made all my meals for the day, so you're set sweetheart," Jean smiles, setting down the fork. Marlee glances to the countertop at a reachable height for her grandma's wheelchair, two more small meals laid out and smiles. "Although he burnt the toast."

Marlee chuckles, sitting on the countertop much to her grandmother's dislike. "You know his name, Gramma," she rolled her eyes, Jean having been used to JJ hanging around. When they first became friends, Jean realized his situation before Marlee, and that's why the over-nights don't often get question. She also knew the pogue on pogue rule.

  "I know JJ," scowled Jean, shakily bringing their fork of beans to her lips. "Had a busted lip. Why the hell don't you just tell him to stay here?" she said, cheeks full of bread, crumbs falling that make Marlee chuckle before sighing.

  "You also know it's his dad. His mom left him, and his dad didn't. That's all he has left," She shrugged, stomach rumbling. Most of their check went to whatever medicine they could get her grandma, the rest being spent on a little food that Marlee figured would be selfish of her to eat. Her grandma keeps her out of foster care, and she knows she would be lost without her. It's always been just the two of them.

Jean points a shaky fork in Marlee's direction. "That's a damn lie, child. We're his family too," said Jean, narrowing her eyes. JJ was almost as much her grandson as Marlee. "Now go on. He was talkin' bout some..." trailed off her grandma, trying to remember. Pursing her lips, Marlee twists her fingers around each other, knowing her memory was getting worse exponentially. Often she would beg her grandma to get help, but she would just curse out insurance, mumbling about crooks and such. But Marlee wasn't sure how long she had until one day Jean would wake up and not remember her. She hated to think about it, because it would devastate her, ruin her even. Except it was the reality of the situation, and Marlee could only do so much to keep her grandma healthy with what they had.

Forcing a laugh, Marlee hops off the counter top and presses a quick kiss to her grandma's cheek. "You probably don't want to know anyways. Lots of trouble the five of us get into," she shrugged, grinning.

  "Oh don't you worry. Peterkin tells me all about that!" hissed Jean as loudly as she could while Marlee turns to leave, not bothering to hide her laughs. She waves over her shoulder before hopping off the porch and walks to the small boat in the backyard. That was the faster way to get to John B's since the Barnett's didn't really have any other transportation.

As she starts the boat, her fears about Gramma Jean get pushed into the back of her mind, the water and sky instantly calming her.

And maybe the excitement about what was to come.

*⋆.*:・゚ .: ⋆*・゚: .⋆

"Get out Mar, you're gonna make the house smell like shit!" said Kie, whacking Marlee on the arm before shooing her out of the house.

She rolled her eyes, raising the joint in the air haphazardly. "There's ventilation?" The windows and doors were open, so Marlee didn't mind that much. She was really only living up to her name.

"Oh shut up," remarked Kie as they stepped out onto the deck, the brunette immediately commenting on the outrageous luxuries the house had to their fellow friends. Sure, Kiara was rich but nothing like this house. "They're gonna have Japanese toilets with towel warmers." Marlee already suspected the reasoning behind it, Kie adamant in her support for nature. She was too, but not as aware. Didn't really have the resources to be.

"Of course they would. Why wouldn't they?" exclaimed JJ, catching Marlee's attention from the scaffolding. He was right, the Kook's seemed to almost shove wealth in the lesser-fortunates face. Marlee only had a job because Kiara and her dad felt bad. Every other job she had lost trying to take care of her grandma when she should've been working.

"I mean, this used to be a turtle habitat. But who cares about the turtles, I guess," shrugged Kiara, she and Marlee turning their attention up towards JJ and John B.

Frowning, Marlee spins back around to lean over the railing, looking over at the water. "Don't say that Kie. I care about the turtles. Sorry turtles," admitted Marlee honestly. That just earned her a pitiful bump from Pope, who she turns to glare at playfully. It was sort of their thing to make fun of each other, Marlee a bit more sensitive and he not so much.

"I don't!" called JJ, taking a swift swig of beer. "I can't have cold towels!" To which Marlee and Kiara scoff, sharing a look.

Kie doesn't comment any further on that, furrowing her eyebrows at John B. "Could you please not kill yourself?" asked Kie, eyes squinted up towards the sun. Marlee on the other hand, figured John B hopefully wouldn't be that stupid, taking a long draw of the joint.

JJ assumes the same. "Don't spill that beer! I'm not giving you another one."

Marlee winces in his direction, "Harsh."

The blonde boy shrugs in return. "What can I say, it's business," And right after that comment, a low shout erupts from John B, Marlee giggling as he tries to maintain his balance, the can dropping from his hands and to the deck. "Of course you did, right when I said that."

"A+," mumbled Pope, yanking on a piece of Marlee's hair before moving away.

She scowls, "listen here you little shi—"

Pope cuts her off, turning back towards the rest of the group. "Hey uh, security's here," he warned, body instantly more tense. "Let's wrap it up!"

"Boys are here early today," remarked John B, not moving from his spot on the roof. Marlee rolls her eyes, the boy doing what she liked to tease him about- peacocking. A pretty show.

"Humpty Dumpty lets roll," motioned JJ to John B before further executing a roll much to Marlee and Kie's amusement, before the pair and Pope take off through the house first, JJ and John B right behind them.

Marlee, was not much of a runner, preferring to practically jog, getting pushed aside by her friends. She turns a corner rather lazily, almost smacking straight into Pope.

She beams. "Hi!"

"Are you kidding?" asked Pope, breathless and he practically spins the redhead around and pushes her back to run, the pair following JJ. "Could you put in a little effort?" he panted, Marlee breaking out into a grin and obliging, before getting to the fence JJ just so effortlessly jumped over. This was not her usual escape route through the house, her height not very optimal for jumping.

"Go go go go go!" yelled JJ from over the fence, hurrying them. Pope runs faster before scrambling up, practically rolling over the fence that sends her into fits of laughter.

Marlee's mouth drops open. "Hell if you think I can-" She turns around, a very large and round man making her way towards her. Normally she wouldn't be afraid but at that speed he might bulldoze her. "Hold this please!" she said, arm over the fence to hand the joint to someone. Backing up once they take it, she braces herself for a hard impact. Not really making it over, she uses her feet to scramble up and over the rest of the way, pretty much copying Pope's not-so-graceful style.

"Get up, fatso's comin!" yelled JJ, scooping her up from under the arms so she can quickly stand to her feet before bolting. He only looks back when Marlee doesn't follow, waving her on. "Go!" he urged, but she shakes her head.

    "Gotta take care of something first! I'll be right there!" she tries to get the words out without laughing, but JJ seems to trust that, running back to the van.

" Get back here ya little shits!" Marlee glanced back to see the cop struggling against the fence a wide grin crossing her lips. She walks towards him calmly, taking one last drag of the joint before reaching him. Not close enough to grab her, but extending her arm close enough to hand the officer the joint.

"Here, hold this, thanks!" She retorted, spinning back around quickly before he can grab her wrist. The van honks, Marlee yelling gleefully as she runs for the street.

They usher her into the van, everyone else already inside. "What the hell?" Kiara exclaimed, unable contain the laughter alongside it.

"Sharing is caring, guys, what can I say?" shrugged Marlee, JJ immediately grinning at her, ruffling her hair with his hand.

"Atta girl Mar," he laughed before dangling himself outside the open van, shouting for John B to slow down. She frowns, fixing her now tangled hair, muttering an ungrateful thanks. Peering out the window, Marlee watches JJ toss Gary a beer as well, she and Pope cheering it on.

"Alright stop JJ, you're gonna give him a heart attack," commented Kie, the redhead spinning around to actually applaud that. She wasn't sure if she was high yet, but found it exceptionally hilarious nonetheless.

JJ comes back into the van, practically pouting. "Oh come on, that sort of initiative is just begging to be punished."

And when Marlee becomes confused by that statement,she realizes she is indeed high. It only makes her laugh harder.

"I love you guys," She mumbled, smiling brightly.

There's an audible sigh from everyone. "Here we go again," drawled John B from the front, and if he weren't driving, Marlee would've whacked him on the head. Pope says something she can't quite make out and he's probably lucky she couldn't. She wasn't in the mood for protests, and one day, she would get Pope to say 'I love you' back.

"What? I can't say I love my friends without getting made fun of?" pouted Marlee, jutting out her bottom lip for effect.

JJ shrugs, "No, not really." Marlee's mouth drops open, the boy immediately playing it off and blowing a mocking kiss in her direction as an apology.

Kie swats at JJ, she and Marlee becoming especially close very fast. Marlee was grateful she had come into their lives all those months ago. "We love you too, Mar."

*⋆.*:・゚ .: ⋆*・゚: .⋆

a.n
last part isnt v detailed but i just wanted to introduce how marlee is in the group before throwing her into the treasure hunt. she's basically lowkey a stoner and v sweet and cute until someone bugs her/ can get scary real quick.

also idk if you've noticed yet but JJ and Marlee have a weird ass relationship like it might make ur head hurt sorry bout it and IK THE BEGINNING IS ABRUPT but they've been friends since like idk LIKE 9 YEARS and she's his like safe place it doesn't necessarily mean anything right away k? k

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

131K 4.8K 87
Ahsoka Velaryon. Unlike her brothers Jacaerys, Lucaerys, and Joffery. Ahsoka was born with stark white hair that was incredibly thick and coarse, eye...
313K 10.2K 52
There's no way you're hitting on me right now. โ” Lando Norris x Fem!OC ยฉ KissLeclerc , April 2024 Started: April 8, 2024 Completed: May 10, 2...
180K 2.3K 31
"You ain't leaving until you suck my cock Y/n." he said with deep voice holding her hair tightly... ~๐’”๐’†๐’™ ๐’”๐’„๐’†๐’๐’†๐’” ~๐’”๐’Ž๐’–๐’• ๐’˜๐’‚๐’“๐’๐’Š๐’๐’ˆ ~๐’†...
304K 6.8K 35
"That better not be a sticky fingers poster." "And if it is ." "I think I'm the luckiest bloke at Hartley." Heartbreak High season 1-2 Spider x oc