Dreams of Eden (Ace of Queens...

By marcyswales17

When Alec Radacovick becomes the head Queen's guard he feels as if he is on top of the world. For once, every... More

CH.1 Birthday Wish
CH.2 The Heywood
CH.3 Good Luck Cookies
CH.4 Sing Along
CH.5 Sunbathing
CH.7 Strawberry Frappe
CH.8 Keeper
CH.9 Vessel
CH.10 Family Secrets
CH.11 Sunshine
CH.12 Three days and three nights
CH.13 Meet me at Midnight
CH.14 Bring me the moon
CH.15 Sleeping Beauty
CH.16 The other woman
CH.17 Posey's Crimes
CH.18 Hands to myself
CH.19 Stolen kisses
CH.20 One of a kind
CH.21 Professor
CH.22 Hold your peace
CH.23 Life of Pi
CH.24 Under the stars
CH.25 Through the looking glass
CH.26 Empty promises
CH.27 A Prince & His Princess
CH.28 Nothing but the truth
CH.29 As you wish
CH.30 Garden of Eden
CH.31 Restoring the balance
CH.32 Remember me
CH.33 Mother
CH.34 Arden
CH.35 Fruit of the dead
CH.36 Marked
CH.37 Take me home
CH.38 The Sun
Epilogue

Ch.6 Sunflowers

11.1K 874 317
By marcyswales17

Chapter 6

The next morning sunlight broke through the clouds like a raging warrior as Alec packed the last of his clothes into his bag. His tired, sleepless green eyes looked around the room to make sure he hadn't forgotten anything.

When he reached for his phone, his eyes fell on the sunflower in the glass jar. A bubble of guilt rose in Alec's chest but he quickly crushed it. His phone chimed in his hand, signaling his ride was here. Grabbing his bag, he gave the room one last look before he rushed down the stairs.

"Thank you for the lovely visit," Lady Charlotte said as she pulled Alec into a hug at the foot of the stairs.

"Thank you for having me, ma'am." Alec smiled. "It was a pleasure."

"I hope you have a safe flight back home," Jackson said as he held out his hand. "We will see you back in Romania for the wedding soon."

"Yes, sir." Alec shook his hand.

"Thank you so much for coming along, Alec." Rose kissed his cheeks.

"Of course." Alec smiled. "Enjoy the rest of your stay."

"Have a safe flight." Rose waved him goodbye.

As Alec gave them all a nod, his eyes begged to flicker up to the top of the stairs. He tried his hardest to keep looking ahead, but eventually lost the fight when, at the last moment, he moved his gaze up.

A wave of disappointment hit him when he realized there was no one there.

"Alright," Alec said with a deep breath. "Thank you for everything. Bye."

The Heywoods and Rose waved goodbye to him once more as Alec stepped out of the doors. The driver of the black car waiting outside opened the door as he took the bag from Alec.

Once settled into the back of the car, Alec pulled out his phone to check his flight details one last time. He scrolled through the emails and messages as his heart began to run restlessly. He felt irritable and cranky, like he was about to miss his flight even though he was forty five minutes early.

As they began to pull away down the long driveway of the house, Alec gave into his eye's request and looked over at the old house. He scanned the porch and felt himself frown when the swing and the rocking chairs were empty.

He searched the first floor windows....still nothing.

As the house grew smaller and smaller in the distance, a flicker in the upstairs window caught Alec's eyes. But it was too late.

Whoever had been up there let the curtains drop as they walked away from the glass.

Alec turned away and watched the house disappear in the rearview mirror.

__________________

1 month later.

"Seriously, that's your plan?" Exton raised a brow as he sipped his coffee. "No flowers, no candles, no hearts?"

"She's not the type," Alec scratched his brow as he sat on his desk.

"But you're about to ask her to marry you," Exton laughed. "Women remember that sort of thing forever."

"Well everybody is different," Alec pulled out the little blue box from his pocket and threw it at Exton. "What do you think?"

Exton set his coffee aside and popped open the box. He stared at it for a while before he shut the box with a bang and threw it back.

"I don't know much about jewelry," he confessed honestly. "I guess it's nice."

"How did you pick out Gemma's ring?"

"I didn't," Exton rubbed his jaw. "I took her to the family jeweler and she designed her own ring."

"How romantic of you," Alec rolled his eyes as he got off the table and walked around his chair.

"Seriously, man," Exton said. "Do something more."

"Mavi and Owen are throwing us a party at their home in Juniper....that should be enough."

Exton sighed. "Okay....if you say so. If Grace complains for the rest of your married life, don't come to me about it."

"I won't," Alec laughed.

Just then, the door to his office opened and a feisty little ten year old walked in.

"Dad!" She hollered at Exton. "Adeline called me a bully....again. And mom won't listen to me so now you have to go tell her she's wrong and I'm right."

"Oh boy," Exton groaned as he got off his seat. "What did you do?"

"I didn't even hit her that hard!" Maya stomped her feet. "She ran into my fist."

"Hitting is still hitting...you understand that concept right?" Exton asked his daughter.

"She's a snob," Maya complained.

"She's your sister!" Exton tried. "Remember the time she stayed with you when you had the flu?"

"Oh good job, Adeline, you want a cookie?" Maya sassed.

"Alright, that's enough. Let's go...let's hash this out. You two can fight to the death. Survival of the fittest." Exton pushed Maya out of the office as he gave Alec a salute. He turned back to his daughter and playfully pulled her ponytail. "Why are you home from school so early?"

"It's Saturday," Maya groaned.

Alec laughed as the father daughter duo disappeared down the hall. Exton always had his handful with the girls.

As Alec turned backed to his work, there was a knock at the door. A second after, Grace walked in with her arms full of files.

"Why don't you ever bring me cookies or something?" Alec laughed watching her.

"What?" Grace shook her head. "You don't like cookies."

Alec stilled as he wondered where that had come from. She was right....he wasn't a fan of cookies. But for the past few days he had been craving freshly baked cookies like no tomorrow. Maybe it was Maya talking about cookies.....

"I have your file for your meeting with the Queen today," Grace's heel clicked on the floor as she walked over to Alec and set the folder down. "You have a lunch appointment with the council at noon and the Armory wants to know if you would like to teach the history course on the Queen's guards again for their fall semester."

"Cancel the lunch with the council," Alec looked at the file. "I already spoke to Exton just now. And tell the Armory I would love to teach the course again."

"Perfect," Grace smiled. She was about to walk away when Alec grabbed her elbow and pulled her back.

"Yes?" Grace asked as she turned her blue eyes to him.

"I miss you," Alec stood up and cupped her face.

A small smile pulled across Grace's lips as she wrapped her arm around Alec's waist, "I'm right here."

"I want you here forever.'

"You're very romantic today."

Alec pulled her face closer and brushed his lips over hers. He felt Grace's smile widen as he captured her lips and kissed her tenderly.

"I just applied my lipstick," Grace playfully poked Alec's stomach.

"Yeah?" Alec laughed. "It tastes good."

Grace chuckled against his lips as he moved his hands into her hair. She felt him pull her closer against his hard body as his kiss started to seek permission between her lips.

"We're at work," Grace reminded him.

"And?"

"Someone will see us," Grace's eyes flickered to the door.

"Let them," Alec teased her with kisses along her neck. His hands ran over the tight skirt she wore as he started to pull at the fabric.

A moan escaped Grace's lips as Alec squeezed her round tush. She pressed her hands against his hard chest and pulled at his shirt.

"Alec....please," She tried to clear her head. "Wait until we get home."

Alec slowly moved his hand up the side of her body and grabbed her waist. He pulled away from her lips and started into her bright eyes.

For a split second he was caught off guard by them. He didn't understand why he had forgotten they were blue.

"What's wrong?" Grace asked.

"Nothing," Alec shook his head as he sat down on his desk. "There's something I wanted to ask you."

"Can it wait?" Grace frowned. "I have to make an important phone call to the Armory...."

"Grace," Alec pulled her closer. "What do you think about us?"

Grace blinked in surprise. "What do you mean?"

"Do you like us?"

"Of course, I do." Grace laughed as if the answer was obvious.

"How do you feel about us getting married?"

"Married?"

"Yeah." Alec nodded. "I've been thinking about it a lot."

"Well..." Grace tucked her perfectly styled black hair behind her ears and cleared her throat. "I've thought about it too. But I didn't know how you were feeling."

Alec smiled as he pulled the little blue box out. He watched the surprise in Grace's eyes as he kissed her cheek.

"So?" He asked, opening the box. "What do you say? Will you marry me?"

"Oh, Alec." Grace marveled at the ring. "Of course! Yes."

"Yeah?" Alec laughed.

"Yes." Grace nodded as she eagerly pulled the ring out of the box. She handed it over to Alec and he slipped it into her finger. "It's beautiful."

Alec smiled as he watched her twiddle her finger and stare at the ring.

"Thank you," Grace leaned in for a quick kiss.

"You're welcome," Alec said, feeling a bit odd. He wasn't sure what he was being thanked for. "Mavi and Owen are hosting a part for us tomorrow night in Juniper."

"Tomorrow night?" Grace frowned.

"Yeah," Alec nodded. "Is something wrong?"

"I have a meeting with the staff at St.Rieka."

"Cancel it."

"I can't," Grace shook her head. "It was so hard to get them all to agree to the same time and date. Ugh, honey, I feel awful....but I can't cancel this meeting."

"What about after?" Alec tried to find a solution. "Come to the party after the meeting."

"Yeah?" Grace asked. "Would that be alright?"

"Of course," Alec laughed. "It's our party. We can go whenever we want."

"Alright," Grace gave him another quick kiss. "I'll see you tonight then."

"Alright." Alec said as she dashed out of the room.

____________________

Eden moved around the kitchen as Marshall helped her prepare the tea for the evening. She nibbled on the tea cakes as the kettle whistled on the stove.

"Where did you move the cardamoms?" She asked Marshall.

"Next to the brown sugar, my dear."

"Thank you, handsome."

Eden walked over to the pantry and grabbed the large jar of Cardamom. When she turned back around, her way out was blocked by the giant bulky Russian man.

"Get out of my way Ivan," She said as she tried to squeeze past the little opening under his arm.

"It's been a month," Ivan huffed.

"A month, seven days, nine hours, six minutes, and twenty four seconds," Eden corrected him. "Twenty five seconds......twenty six......twenty seven."

"Just dial the palace," Ivan groaned. "Please. You can catch both of my sons there."

"I don't think they would want to talk to me."

"Alec has always been like that. He's a hot head. But I promise Owen is nothing like him. He's very gentle."

"Is he married?"

"Yes," Ivan nodded.

"Then I am not interested."

Ivan's fists slammed down on the counter making the tea cups rattle. Eden grabbed them and stopped them from rolling off over the edge.

"I'll be upstairs," Ivan frowned after several minutes of silence from Eden.

"You need to start paying rent around here," Eden called after him as he walked around Marshall and out of the kitchen.

Once he was gone, Eden sank into a stool and put her dead down on the counter. She knew Ivan would go away as soon as she gave into his demand and called his sons. But Eden was terrified of how they would react. She didn't always get the warmest welcome when she called families with messages from the other side.

Just as the water in the kettle began to whistle, the little hairs on Eden's arms began to shiver. She lifted her head slowly as she felt her skin start to chill. Her hands were like ice by the time she walked over to the stove. She reached out and touched the kettle, not feeling anything.....she was so cold.

As she stood there staring at her hand, the scent of ice and incense danced over to her. Like a little hummingbird's wings, Eden's heart began to beat as she followed the scent into the living room.

She looked at Marshall, who carried on with his daily tasks not paying her any attention. Her brown eyes then fell on Lady Charlotte sitting at the grand piano playing a sweet melody.

With heavy dragging steps, Eden walked over to her and sank into the bench beside the old lady.

Lady Charlotte turned to her granddaughter and smiled, "Do you remember this tune?"

Eden didn't speak. She stared at the old lady as her eyes began to burn.

When Charlotte turned her head and saw the frozen tears in Eden's eyes, she stopped playing. She pulled the girls cold hands onto her lap and kissed each finger with her soft lips.

"Is he here already?" Lady Charlotte asked.

No," Eden shook her head. "He's coming."

Charlotte nodded her head. "He'll most likely be here tonight. I better call Jackson."

Eden didn't know what to say. She let the tears fall down her cheeks as she leaned forward and placed her head on Charlotte's lap.

"Oh don't cry little bird," Charlotte whispered. "A great big adventure awaits both of us."

_____________________________

"Why do I have to wear a tie?" Maksim complained as he tried to loosen his collar.

"Because it looks good," Adeline moved his hand away. "Now hold still. Let me fix your hair."

"Stop it," Maksim complained as his cousin pinched his face and combed his hair over.

"Crush him, Ada." Maya said from where she sat on the steps. "Crush him like a little bug."

"That's treeson," Maksim frowned.

"Treason," Adeline corrected him. "Maya, stop scaring him....go find Clare."

As Maya hurried up the steps, Alec stepped out of the way to let her through. He found Maksim and Adeline at the foot of the stairs and laughed at how the girl held the future king's face.

"You look dapper, your highness." Alec said to his nephew.

"Thank you, Uncle Alec." Maksim tried to turn his face to the man, but Adeline pulled it back to her.

"Stay still," She warned him. "You have stubborn hair."

"It runs in the family, my dear." Alec patted Adeline's head as he walked into the kitchen. He found Owen holding a bottle in Cleo's mouth as he balanced his phone between his ear and shoulder.

"Alright, thank you. Thank you, Joy. Yes, we'll be in touch." Owen said. He motioned for Alec to take the phone.

"She talks so much," Owen groaned when Alec ended the call.

"What did she want?"

"Something about Maksim going to St. Rieka."

"He's only seven!"

"That's what I said," Owen nodded. "Mavi will bite her head off if she finds out."

"She babies him too much," Alec laughed. "He needs to be raised like a true Radacovick."

"He's the heir to the throne," Owen shook his head. "Xavier has his ideas for him."

"Where's the heir to spare?" Alec asked looking over his shoulder.

"Mavi is dressing her," Owen said as he checked on Cleo in his arms. "I have to warn you, she is in a mood today."

"Oh boy," Alec chuckled.

"Where is Grace?" Owen looked up as he set the bottle down and moved the baby over his shoulder to burp.

"She's in a meeting, she's coming any second."

"She couldn't cancel a meeting today?"

"It was important."

"Let's hope she doesn't keep you waiting at the altar," Owen laughed.

Just then, the loud rumble of kids running down the stairs filled the house. Maksim ran out into the yard yelling as Maya chased him. Adeline and Margo ran after them as Clare slugged behind.

"What's wrong, princess?" Owen looked down at his daughter and frowned. "Why the long face, my dear?"

"Daddy, I feel very cranky." Clare huffed as she folded her arms across her little body and pouted.

"Why, my love?" Owen crouched down with Cleo to look into Clare's gray eyes.

"I'm mad at Uncle Alec."

"Me?" Alec asked in shock. "What did I do?"

Clare stomped her feet. "I thought you were going to bring me sunflowers, but you didn't bring me anything!"

Alec stilled at the little girl's words. His brother didn't notice anything wrong with her words as he tried to calm his daughter with kisses and promises of taking her out on a father daughter date.

Sunflowers, Alec thought as his insides hurt a bit.

When Owen was finally able to convince Clare to join the rest of the kids outside, he stood back up and looked over at his brother.

"How are things going with her and Caspian?" Alec asked curiously.

Owen turned around and looked at his daughter playing outside, "He's been meeting with her once a week."

"What's his verdict?"

"Well, he says she can't see the future.....But she's definitely seeing something," Owen sighed. "It's like she just knows things about people....she just looks at them and starts spitting out random facts about their life."

"Well that's neat," Alec said as he took in a deep breath. He rubbed his jaw as he strate to feel the restlessness in him once more. This mind started to form the picture of someone else he knew who spit out random facts.

"Where's Grace?" Mavi suddenly asked as she walked into the kitchen. "All the guests are almost here."

"She's in a meeting," Owen informed her.

"What?" Mavi turned to Alec. "Of all days?"

"What's what I said." Owen shook his head.

"It's very important," Alec defended his fiance. "I'll go give her a call."

He heard Mavi complaining about the light outside as he began to walk out of the kitchen. Owen told her he would take care of everything before he pulled her in for a kiss.

Once outside in the yard, Alec dialed Grace's number. He watched the kids playing as the phone rang and rang. His eyes landed on Clare as she glared at him from across the large yard. He was so fixated on her that he didn't even realize when the voicemail had started to record.

Frazzled by the intensity of Clare's eyes, Alec left Grace a quick voicemail before he disconnected the phone and found Exton and Adam by the mini bar.

As per Alec's request, Mavi and Owen had kept the gathering small. Only their closest family and friends were invited as the backyard was lit up in twinkling lights. Kids ran around the pool with sparklers in the dark as the adults mingled and laughed.

Once Grace finally arrived, Mavi visibly relaxed. Everyone held their drinks up and toasted to the new couple and wished them joy and good fortune. Alec kept Grace wrapped around in his arm as they talked to the guests and thanked everyone for coming.

He was so proud of the woman in his arms. She was beautiful, smart, confident. She could work a crowd like no tomorrow. Mavi often joked that if Alec ran for president, Grace would be the perfect first lady.

As the evening moved on, Grace excused herself from Alec as her phone rang out.

"Don't take it," Alec whispered into her ear with a kiss.

"I'm sorry," Grace frowned. "Just two minutes. I promise."

"Grace,"

"Two minutes," she said as she already began to move away into the house.

Alec sighed as he turned back to his conversation with some of the Queen's guards. Over one of their shoulders his eyes fell on Owen and Clare. The little girl was crying hysterically as Owen picked her up into his arms and tried to calm her. Alec watched as Mavi walked over to them and patted Clare's hair. She looked up at her husband with a worried expression as Owen said something to her.

Alec was about to walk over and see what was the matter when Grace came back out.

"Can I speak to you for a second?" She whispered to Alec.

"Excuse us," Alec told the guests as he let Grace pull him aside. "What's up?"

"That was Rose's secretary on the phone just now," Grace said quickly.

"Everything okay?" Alec asked as he remembered Rose was still in New Orleans.

"Lady Charlotte just passed away."

Alec felt his heart sink to the pit of his stomach. He had only known the woman for a few days. He couldn't understand why his heart was burning and this throat was closing up.

Images of a certain blonde sitting next to the old woman laughing moved in front of Alec's eye. He shook his head as all the noises of the party started to weave in and out of his mind. He felt Grace's hand on his arm as she asked him if he was okay, but he couldn't focus enough to answer.

All Alec could see was the brown eyes of the girl he tried so hard to forget. And all Alec could hear were Clare's sobs from across the yard.  

:( I is a sad cookie in a jar....poor Eden. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

247K 9.9K 40
*PLEASE READ AT YOUR OWN RISK THIS BOOK IS TERRIBLE, ONE OF THE FIRST BOOKS IVE WRITTEN ON WATTPAD! I WAS NOT AS EXPERIENCED AS I AM NOW AS THIS WAS...
144K 7.8K 41
Meredith had always known about magic. Her family was magic, one of the most powerful mage lines out there. Having lost her parents to all the fighti...
5.9M 157K 37
My mum always used to tell me what it's like to see your mate for the first time. She used to say that at that moment, everything around you stopped...
1.3M 61.8K 38
Exton Alexander Dorin knew from the start Gemma Moore was not what he wanted. She came in like a hurricane and turned his life upside down...or so he...