Serotonin {Senku x Reader}

By _sxtsunai_

"Sometimes reality is too complex. Stories give it form." More

Prologue
Part 1 - Rebirth
Part 2 - Senku
Part 3 - Taiju
Part 4 - Tsukasa
Part 5 - The Lion's Wrath
Part 6 - Girl
Part 7 - Friends
Part 8 - Civilization
Part 9 - Iron Age
Part 10 - Detective Suika
Part 11 - Mental
Part 12 - Good and Evil
Part 13 - Goddess
Part 14 - Worry
Part 15 - Ruri
Part 16 - Chief
Part 17 - Ishigami
Part 18 - Stone Wars
Part 20 - Light
Part 21 - Tungsten
Part 22 - Stone Day
23 - A Voice Sent Across Millenia
24 - Final Phone Call
25 - Killing Time
Part 26 - Nikki
27 - Steam Gorilla
28 - Tank
Part 29- Ukyo
Part 30- 20 Fateful Seconds
31- Lost Hope
32- All is Fair in War
Part 33 - The Ending and The Beginning
Part 34 - Stone Wars: Epilogue
Part 35- A New Era
Part 36 - Nanami Ryuusui
Part 37 - Information HQ
Part 38 - Money is the Universal Language!
Part 39 - Becoming a Millionaire
Part 40 - And the Winner is...!
41 - Leader
Part 42 - Desire = Justice!
Part 43 - Protasis
Part 44 - Epitasis
Part 45 - Catastrophe

Part 19 - Cellphone

8.8K 445 288
By _sxtsunai_

"Wait, What?!"

"Yup! We're gonna make those good old cell phones that you modern folk miss so much!" Senku exclaimed. While Gen stood there, dumbfounded, Y/n explained the concept of a phone to the primitive villagers, who either joined Gen, or got excited, which was really just Chrome and Kaseki. Y/n sighed, knowing she shouldn't be surprised.

"You amaze me..."

"But wait, Senku?" Kohaku asked. "Can that really be a weapon?"

"Absolutely. In war, the ability to communicate can totally turn the tables. For example, if we sent a double agent, it's not unthinkable that we could win against Tsukasa without shedding a single drop of blood."

"That would be... perfect." Y/n said, smiling. She wasn't looking forward to the idea of possibly having to actually kill someone. It would've been too much for her to bear. Ginrou stepped up, puzzled.

"Wait, but who would be our double agent...?"

"Ah, that's right. Though they've already been there for quite some time, we have Taiju and Yuzuhira..!! Kukuku, that blockhead will finally be getting his smartphone..."

"We might be able to see them again soon..!!" Y/n exclaimed, the realization dawning on her. She, regrettably, hadn't given them too much thought since she and Senku left, but she missed them all the same. Y/n watched as one of the children, who was remarkably artsy, drew out the roadmap, which was crazy long. Y/n looked at all the things she recognized from the modern world. Plastic, microphones, circuit boards. It was absolutely insane to her.

Gen seemed to find it unbelievable too. He sighed, speaking in a wavering voice. "There's a whole heap of impossible on here... you talk about plastic and stuff... but is it really possible?"

"Kukuku, it's not impossible. No matter how far off it looks, play by the rules, and you'll get there. That's science, after all!"

The next morning, everyone helped out to gather materials for rebuilding and upgrading the village and Kingdom of Science. As they worked, Senku explained the concept of the phone to Chrome, who was ecstatic. Y/n, not all that interested in the conversation, let her mind trail for a while, eventually coming back to Gen's note. She walked over to where he was standing, smiling sweetly.

"So we're friends, huh?" Y/n asked, making Gen chuckle. She still wasn't sure if she liked him or not as a person, but his actions proved he wasn't as bad as he seemed. Like Senku, he'd always choose the logical route, for himself at least. For now, she'd play along.

"Oh? Do you not consider us friends? Have you pushed me to the 'ally' zone?" He gave her a little grin. "You must hate me, right? Or perhaps you love me? Unsure how to feel about me?"

"You could say that," Y/n mused. "But I also want to get to know everyone here, to help document events better. It just so happens that I know the least about you."

"Really now? How is that, you knew me in the modern world, after all~"

"Barely. Though, if I'm honest, I just want to learn to read you. It's hard to tell when you're being genuine or not."

"Ohh, really~? I must be good at acting then..."

"Pff, not really. You just sound aloof and careless most of the time."

"Oh, you wound me~ I'll have you know I do care!" Gen said, a mock pout playing across his face. Y/n rolled her eyes.

"Uh huh. Prove it, then."

"I find that to be hard to prove... though, if I'm perfectly honest, one of the reasons I joined you and Senku was because of how fond I am of both of you."

"Uh... care to elaborate?"

"Ah, of course! Well, Senku is interesting enough for obvious reasons... he's like me, in a way. Driven by our own desires. But you, Y/n, you're the polar opposite. You're selfish, but you've never let it show due to your timid nature. You'll avoid conflict whenever possible, except when you're emotional. I think that makes you rather unpredictable, and extremely interesting. An emotional person like you working right alongside a logical one like Senku... certainly an exciting duo, don't you think?"

"The fact you can read me like that is terrifying," Y/n pointed out. "But you're not completely right either. I've been working with Senku for a good two— almost three years now, and he's not at all selfish. Sure, he puts up the facade of being logical and manipulative, but I think he's quite the opposite. Deep down, he really cares, not just for his friends, but for other people. Why else would he try to bring everyone back, and go through that effort to cure Ruri when he could've used force to take over the village?"

"Aww, how sweet~ Defending your 'friend' like that," Gen put an emphasis on the word 'friend.' Y/n gave him a confused look.

"Huh? Why'd you say it like that, mentalist?"

"Oh my! You haven't figured it out yet," Gen chuckled. Y/n cocked her head to one side like a confused puppy.

"Figured what out?"

"I've said too much!" Gen sighed, putting the back of his hand on his forehead like he was about to faint. It reminded Y/n of the thing women did in dramatic movies. Swooning? She huffed.

"Tell me!"

"Oh, no, I don't think I will," Gen smirked. "It's much more fun for you to figure it out on your own."

"You're stupid!"

"Ah, in that case, I just have to tell you then, don't I? Can't have little Miss Y/n upset at me~"

"Wait, really?!"

"Nope! Have fuuuuun~"

Gen walked off, a goofy grin on his face. Y/n pouted at Gen before moving on to help gather more materials to rebuild the village. 

Later that afternoon, Senku gathered up the science team to let them know what they were going to make. After explaining the basic concept of how a phone worked (which Y/n actually understood), Senku then told them the first device they'd need.

"A cotton candy machine."

"Ah... the conversation's IQ just dropped by about 100," Gen said, with a meek expression that plainly said, 'we're all doomed.' Senku then took out an iron... thing. Y/n couldn't quite describe what it was, but it was an iron rod with a vessel at one end, holes poked in it all around. Senku then explained that it was a device they could use to make cotton candy. Y/n, though she tried not to show it, was extremely excited. She didn't like cotton candy all that much, but in the stone world where her sweet tooth had been depraved, she was willing to take it.

"With this, we can make cotton candy by heating up the bottom and spinning it. The centrifugal forces will send the candy outward, giving us the white, fluffy goodness us old world folk know and love."

"I don't get it," Y/n said, though she was excited about the candy, it didn't make sense how this was related to the phone at all. "How is this related to making the phone?"

"You, Y/n, should know better than anyone. What would happen if we put gold in this instead of sugar?"

"We'd get super thin gold wires!" Chrome exclaimed, pumped up. "This is gonna be so awesome! I'll go get the gold now!"

"No, gold is too valuable," Senku said. "That's why we're gonna test this using actual sugar first."

"Ah~ So that's what we're going to do," Gen said, smiling. "We'll have to taste it— Er, I mean, test it first.."

While Senku and Chrome went to gather some rock salt, which had been a result of the boiled down sake thanks to Homura's fires, Y/n helped Kaseki build a stand and furnace for the device, which would make making cotton candy a lot easier. Once everyone finished their tasks, Kinrou and Ginrou spun the caramelized sugar over a fire, which produced a sweet Y/n hadn't had since she was a little kid: cotton candy. Senku gathered up several bunches of them on some sticks, handing them out to the villagers first, then to the science team, who accepted it gratefully.

Y/n bit a piece off, the familiar warmth spreading over her from head to toe. She had forgotten how much she missed sweets. While everyone else reacted in a similar way Y/n was feeling, she noticed Senku was smiling. She stood next to him, grinning.

"Thanks for this, Senku."

"Huh? This is just a test, there's no need to thank me."

"Uh Huh. Why didn't you just try it for yourself then?"

"I don't like cotton candy that much. Besides, you need to test several different times in order to achieve accurate results."

"Dammit, just admit you wanted to make everyone's day!" Y/n giggled. Senku chuckled, then looked at Gen, who was licking his cotton candy joyfully. 

"Gen, do you know what type of woman Homura is?"

Ginrou, who's ears could hear drama from a mile away, elbowed Senku, his typical sleazy face on. 

"Whaaaat? So even Senku can be interested in a girl, huh?! So you like petite girls, eh~?"

Y/n felt a strong twinge of annoyance. She assumed it was because Ginrou was just being a douche, but there was something else. Something about what he said... Y/n wasn't petite, she was only a few centimeters shorter than Senku, but still... wait, why was she bothered by that? Who cares what Senku thinks? Even so, the fact that the village beauties were listening in so intently pissed her off, despite her good mood from the cotton candy.

"It's not that kind of conversation.." Chrome said, groaning. Kohaku nodded in agreement. Senku rolled his eyes at Ginrou.

"It's because we're all under her surveillance," Senku pointed out, looking at a tall tree off in the distance. "That Homura woman is watching us."

Y/n shivered slightly. She did have the gut instinct someone had been watching her... but she had ignored it. She was at least somewhat comforted by the fact that she was right. Gen chuckled.

"Well, I'm not surprised~ Homura has nothing but the utmost respect for our darling Hyoga... so if she was given orders to watch us, she'll definitely fulfill it. She probably won't do anything bad if we leave her alone, but getting her to defect is gonna be preeeeetty much impossible."

Y/n listened intently, wondering if maybe she could talk to Homura. She did have a way with words, and if she had some time to prepare what she'd say, perhaps she could convince her...

Later that afternoon, Senku and the guard brothers went off somewhere unbeknownst to Y/n, which she was fine with. She was certain Senku would be safe with Kinrou, so she didn't have to worry. She completed her journal entry and waited for the three to return, bored. Eventually, Senku came back, a sly grin on his face. 

"Done and done! The stand is all set up for Homura. If she's a scout, there's no doubt she'll tell Tsukasa all about the cotton candy. Kukuku, there's no resisting the sweetness. We might just be able to lure out a softer side of her!"

"...You left cotton candy for her?" Y/n asked. Senku nodded. Ruri, who was standing by Kohaku, smiled.

"Of course, while there's a strategic significance to that... I think Senku just wanted to share candy with a lonely girl..."

Another twinge of irritation. Y/n wasn't annoyed at Ruri, who was the sweetest girl she had ever met, but rather the thought of Senku doing something like that for the sake of being nice to a girl... Y/n had to convince herself it was strategic as she lay in the storehouse that night, falling asleep.

***

"Alright, science team!! We only have a few months, so we need to get this thing done real quick!" Senku told everyone the next morning. Y/n, who hadn't slept well due to another odd nightmare, yawned as Senku continued. "We need to discuss the timing of Tsukasa's all out assault. What do you think, Mr. Mentalist?"

"Hmm, if I were thinking like Tsukasa, I'd say..." Gen cleared his throat, and Y/n swore her sleep depraved self saw Tsukasa's face on Gen's body. Even his voice matched, only startling Y/n more. "Since we are in charge of the revival fluid, the more time we wait, the greater our numbers. But our enemy is Senku, and if we give him too much leeway, soon he'll mass produce gunpowder. Yes, that sounds about right."

"Dude, your impressions are way too accurate," Senku shuddered. Y/n blinked, and Gen's face was back on his body. She nodded along with Senku tiredly. "Either way, we need to get to work! Kinrou, Ginrou! Go make some more cotton candy!"

Once they had made several batches of cotton candy for the kids, Ginrou brought a cotton candy to Gen and Senku, who acted out a meme Y/n recognized. Gen's impression made her giggle as Ginrou stormed off after being set up. Senku sighed and looked at the device.

"So, it's still not smooth enough," Senku said, "the way those two are pulling it makes the device spin inconsistently. Chrome, what'd you think?"

"Well, maybe we could attach a reaaaaally long rope and tie them to it. Like, a kilometer long!"

"You're crazy," Ginrou huffed. Senku shook his head.

"Wrong. Y/n, you're a modern woman. Ten billion points if you can guess the answer."

"Uhh..." Y/n said with intellect. Something they could spin fast enough with a constant effort... these were really making the cogs in her head turn— "That's it! Cogs, er, I mean, gears! Right?"

"Perfect! Ten billion points," Senku grinned, taking a broken tree branch. After whittling it down with a knife, he had made a simple gear. The primitive section of the science team was in awe a two the small gear, while Senku held up Kohaku's shield. "And this shield will work perfectly to help us out!"

Kokuyo spun around, eyeing the shield. Kaseki spoke up.

"Well, it's a fine piece of work that's been passed down... it might be of value to her father.."

"Ohh, well, I don't care," Kokuyo said, and Y/n could see what he was trying to do. "But if it's something special to Kohaku, then maybe you should find something else..."

"Oh, I don't mind," Kohaku said absentmindedly. Y/n could feel Kokuyo's pain as she hammered some pegs in with a mallet, holding up the finished product for Senku to use. After they linked it up with the cotton candy machine, the science team watched proudly as Ginrou and Kinrou spun it excitedly, overjoyed at the fact that they wouldn't have to use so much force anymore. Without warning, Chrome yelled.

"I have an idea!!" He exclaimed, dragging Kaseki with him. He whispered in the old man's ear, cutting off his protests. Before Chrome could finish, Kaseki's clothes, including his pants, were blown off, making Y/n cover her eyes with a shout.

"Dammit, old man! Control yourself!"

"Kukuku, don't worry about them for now," Senku said, a villainous expression accompanying his tone of voice. "All that awaits you now is the hell of hard labor!!"

Senku ran his hands through coils of golden wire, twisting some of it with his hands. Y/n assumed he went ahead and made it while the rest of the science team was focused on Chrome and Kaseki. Kohaku laughed lightly, but Y/n could tell she was nervous for all the hard work. 

"Ahaha, how long do these wires have to be?"

"Hmm.. let me think.. it'll be from about here..." Senku said, gesturing with his fingers. He then pointed to a far off mountain. "To that mountain!"

"Seriously?!"

Y/n sighed as everyone went their separate ways. The children and elderly ended up helping with the wire, since it was an easy task and they couldn't do anything else. Y/n, for one, was happy she wouldn't have to kill her fingers winding that up. She yawned, catching Senku's attention.

"You've been yawning the entire time. Did you not sleep well?" He asked. She nodded.

"Yeah, I couldn't sleep at all last night..."

"Hmm, then go take a rest. Be back soon though, Kohaku wants to keep training you, Kinrou, and Ginrou."

"Ah, right. Thanks, Senku," she gave him an exhausted smile. He chuckled.

"Yeah, whatever. Get some sleep."

Y/n nodded and walked off, Senku occupied her thoughts all the way back. It was kind of funny to her how he gave her a break, of all people. Had it been anyone else, he would've told them to suck it up, probably. She'd make it up o him tomorrow by working twice as hard. She grabbed her bedding from a shelf in the storehouse and settled down, almost immediately falling to sleep.

The next three days went by fairly quickly. Y/n had the easy part of the bargain, overseeing everything and writing it down. Almost everyone was focused on either preparing for the winter or making the gold wire. Y/n helped out the children and elderly occasionally, telling them sweet fairytales while they went so none of them would get too tired or bored. She noticed Senku glance in her direction at times, but would look away as soon as she noticed. She found it odd, but she actually liked it. It gave her a warm feeling.

Then, on the fourth day, Chrome returned, clearly exhausted and unshaven. Y/n screamed when she saw him crawling towards them. She ran over to him and bent down next to him.

"Holy shit! You look like you just rose from your grave! How the hell are you alive?!"

"It was only three days... day and night, working... but it's finally finished."

"What is?!"

"Bring the group and you'll see."

Y/n gathered Senku, Kohaku, and the brothers, who followed Chrome to the river. Once they arrived, Y/n couldn't believe her eyes.

In the river was a fully functioning, spinning water wheel.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.7K 594 48
Kiera Stronghold, Avenger, finds herself trapped in a different universe on an Earth stuck in the stone-age. At least she has a smartass scientist a...
3.6K 166 10
.˚ ᵎ┊͙◟̆◞̆ " 𝖦𝖾𝗍 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝖿𝗎𝖼𝗄 𝗈𝗎𝗍! " *・῾ ᵎ⌇ ⁺◦ Started: 02.09.21
29.4K 941 23
Basically Dr. Stone but with a reader added into it! Join Senku as he figures out how to bring back civilization through the stone world! And tell hi...
9.5K 219 12
This story is set in a different time where its a normal world. This is a sengen fanfic. They're basically dating already. This is mostly about their...