Danish Fate || the last kingd...

By encantingcharm

Cecellia, or Cece for short, lived the life that any girl dreams of. She was about to start her sophomore yea... More

....
•characters•
|ONE|
|THREE|
|FOUR|

|TWO|

563 25 3
By encantingcharm

3,506 words

THE band of brother quickly had discarded the small group of Danes, making their route to the church a quick one. The plan had worked with Osferth being the distraction so the others could move into place and than attacked, at Uthred's orders. Now all that remained was the supposed witch, Skade, inside.

Finan was to Uthred's left, trying to catch a glimpse of the woman through the open window, but could not find her. He wondered what she looked like and if she truly was as evil as Haesten had described.

"Haesten says she's of the devil," Uthred warned his men as he approached the door. His hands were full of his weapons, prepared for what laid behind the door infront of him. Having grown up as a Dane, he believed whole heartedly in the magic of the Gods. His Pagan beliefs led him to know how strongly a person could communicate with the gods and be gifted blessings by them to perform spells and curses. He knew of those that had worked for the God Loki, using his name to perform wicked acts and than he also knew of those that had worked for the Goddess Freyja, using her name to bless others with love and kindness.

Uthred knew, deep in his gut, that this Skade was not with Freyja, but the likes of Loki.

"T'an," Finan threw out a thought, "it m'ght 'ave been an i'dea to barge the doors and burn the w'ole place down."

"Why not," Sihtric agreed, of his own fear of the soon encounter with the witch. He knew from first hand how powerful a women truly could be and he himself did not want to be on the side of her rath.

"For dead," Uthred rose his brows as he pushed his sword against the door, "she will be priceless."

The group entered the church, looking around noticing all of the carnage that had gone on inside this room. A priest had been nailed to a high beam, his head hung in death; another had been gutted and laid beside the ashes of a fire. But what frightened the men the most was the women who leaned against the alter, waiting patiently for them to arrive. She knew they were coming and she knew what was to happen next, for the gods had shown her, her path.

Uthred's eyes noticed the organ that was in her hand, his eyes moving up and analyzing her. Her hair was as white as snow, she had a pair of piercing gray eyes that felt as if they stared deep inside at his soul. She was the one they called Skade, he knew just by a single glance.

"You are Skade," he asked her as the rest of his men entered the hall. She did not speak, for her man removed his sword and took a stance ready to attack. Uthred quickly locked eyes with him as he yelled, "you! Will do nothing except go to your Lord! You will tell him, Uthred of Bebbanburg has his witch."

"I knew it was you," the witch spat out, keeping her cold stare on Uthred.

"There will be ransom to pay," Uthred quietly said as he was locked in her gaze.

"No," she shook her head, "you will go to my Lord and tell him that from this moment forth, that Uthred of Bebbanburg is cursed."

The tension in the room grew upon her words as she held the heart out for all to see. Her eyes never once faltered from Uthred's gaze and he felt his blood run cold at her words. She truly was of the devil and as much as he knew he shouldn't believe in such things as curses, he found himself slightly afraid. Though he would not show it to her or anyone in this room.

"The witch," Skade continued, "holds his heart in her hands and she will," her hand tightened around the heart as she sneered at the man before her, "squeeze it. And break it."

As she tossed the heart to the floor, Uthred found himself jumping from intensity of her words. Skade saw the fear in his eyes and could not help but to smirk at the way she had him in the palm of her hand. When no one moved, she turned to her man and sternly said, "go."

She than moved forward toward the Dane Slayer with a wicked grin, "it is you who are my prisoner now, Uthred."

"Seize her," the words were calm out of his mouth as he stared at the eyes of the serpent like witch. When no one moved he more urgently spoke, "I said seize her Sihtric. Now! Bind her hands!"

"I have aligned myself with the three spinners of fate and taken hold of your life," Skade confesses. "You belong to me now."

"And her mouth," Uthred stared as the witch continued.

"You path is the path that I choose for you Uthred Ragnarsson. And your spirit is mine to torment."

He felt trapped in her gaze as his men grabbed her and tied her hands behind her back and placed a cloth in her mouth, to stop her from speaking more. Yet, she stared intensely at him, daring him to look away, forcing herself inside of his mind and controlling him.

"Cover her eyes," he breathed heavily and once Finan slammed his hands across of her blue eyes he felt released from her hold. It was in that exact moment that everyone heard the yelling of a female voice not to far from where they all stood.

The men, Uthred, Finan and Sihtric, all shared a knowing look, terrified of what was to come. Was the voice a spirit that was confirming the curse that Skade had placed upon Uthred?

"My Lord!"

Osferth came rushing into the hall, the door banging against the wall. He appeared out of breath as he looked at the others in the room, "there is a woman!"

"Yes," Finan drawled out before given the witch a firm shake, "we have her."

"No," Osferth stared, before looking to Uthred, "about a mile away, she is screaming for help!"

Uthred looked to his men before nodding his head, "Finan, you and Osferth stay here with Skade. Sihtric and I will go find this woman in need."

They all nodded in agreement and went on their separate ways, Finan and Osferth taking Skade out of the church and placing her on to a horse, with her hands tied infront of her. Uthred and Sihtric took off into the fields, following the sounds of the screaming woman. They ran quickly, keeping low as not to alarm the girl and to not have their cover blown. They did not know if this was a trap in place by the witch Skade.

Uthred was the first to spot the girl with golden hair, he watched for a minute as she ran in circles calling out for help. She appeared to be just another village girl, lost and in terror. Her eyes were as blue as the ocean, but no where near as fierce as those of Skade. Hers appeared to be almost calming to gaze upon, where as Skades had left him frozen in terror.

"What. The. Fuck," the girl had called out as she was glancing down at herself. He watched as she fiddled with the skirts of her dress, as if inspecting them.

"How lady like of you," he finally stood, his sword in hand and pointed at the women, in case this was all a plow against him.

Her hair flung through the wind, catching the suns rays and blazing a vibrant yellow. It shined as bright as gold and he found himself entranced by it, suddenly wishing to be able to run his fingers through the locks.

Her eyes seemed relieved before flashing to utter panic at the sight of his sword, pointing directly at her chest. He watched as she scanned the two men behind him, looking for any signs of help.

She than returned her gaze to him and stuttered a pray, "P-Please."

They found themselves locked in one another gaze, looking deeply at each other. He suddenly had this strange feeling, as if he knew she was no danger to him, but she was here to help. Something was calling to him, willing him to trust this petrified girl. Slowly, his sword lowered and his body relaxed.

It was then she seemed to recognize him as she called his name, "Uthred?"

His eyes widened for a moment, for he didn't seem to recognize her and yet she knew him. He thought back to the last time he was in this area and brought all the memories of his life, forcing him to look for any woman with her golden hair. Yet, he could not recall her face. For surely, she held a unforgettable face.

"You've met before, my Lord," Sihtric asked from behind him.

Uthred shook his head as he placed his sword back in its sheath on his back, "I do not believe we have."

The girls eyes widened and than he watched as she gulped before nodding her head, "no."

His head tilted as he tired to figure her out, there was something about her that didn't seem right. Almost as if she was not meant to be here.

"I've been told stories," she quickly reasoned, "stories of your great value to Wessex!"

"Hum," Sihtric nodded his head before a laugh escaped his lips, "see my Lord, you truly are well known across the land!"

The men laughed for a moment, having decided the girl was not in trouble Uthred turned and began to return to the church. They had business to attend too and could no longer allow themselves to be distracted.

"Wait!" The girl ran after them, "where are you going?"

"Home," he turned back to see her running through the field. She wasn't graceful by any means, stumbling to catch up with the group.

"You must take me with you," she said between breaths.

"Must I," Uthred raised a single brow at her as he thought it over.

"Yes," she stated. "I am all alone, perhaps I could just travel along side of you and your men. Surely, that is much safer for a woman than to be out on her own."

She pleaded with her eyes, begging him to agree. She feared what would happen if he disagreed and he knew the likely out come of what would be come of her if he denied her request. He glanced back to the church and than back to the girl, she appeared to completely alone without a single hand to help her. He knew he should have moved on and acted as if he had never heard her, but he found himself torn.

"Lord," Sihtric whispered beside him, "with Danes close by, I must agree with her. This is not the place for women to alone." He than looked to the girl and leaned in close to Uthred, "Especially, one of her beauty."

Uthred nodded his head in agreement with his friend before turning back to the golden girl and nodding, "come. We will take her with us to Aeashine."

|danish fate|

THE group traveled in silence on their path to the place known as Aeashine. Cecellia wasn't sure where they had been headed or what had made him agree to her plea. All she knew, was that her ass was numb from sitting on top of this horse for hours. The pain seemed to bother her more so than the others around her and she knew they snickered at her, knowing what was causing her discomfort. Even the blonde who had been tied up, would look back and smirk at her every time she grimaced.

In fact, Cece had found the fierce stare of the girl more times than once. It appeared that she would either stare at herself or that of the man known as Uthred of Babbanburg. Which in itself was still confusing to fathom. Knowing that he was just a fictional character in a show and yet being here beside him on horseback, threw her for a rather large loop. One she found she could not untangle.

At first, she simply thought she had been dreaming, but from the pain that was shooting up her backside, she knew that to be a falsehood. There was no way dreams could be this vivid. Never once had she felt pain, or smelled so strongly, the strong aroma of horse shit, in a dream before. In fact, she never recalled ever dreaming of Emily's favorite show.

Now, as she stared at the girls cold, piercing blue eyes, she found herself wishing she had paid more attention to the show. If she did, than perhaps she would have known of this girl and what was to come. She only remember the drama of it all, the politics between the King Alfred and the warrior Uthred.

"Do not stare too long, my Lady," a voice called from beside her.

She turned her gaze away from the girl and found herself looking at the face of the man that had helped her convince Uthred to receive her; Sihtric. He was leaned over in his saddle, hands resting in his lap, a smirk placed upon his lips as he stared at her.

"Why," Cecellia whispered. She tired to remember how they talked in the show and found herself slowly being able to conform to their dialect, almost as if it had been already instilled in her brain.

"She's a witch, my Lady."

"A witch," she gasped, looking back to the girl. Cece didn't remember there being any witches in the show, in fact the only magic she could remember from the first two seasons were that of Brida. Though she had in fact been cursed and would perform Pagan rituals, Cece had believed it all to be fake and now she was beginning to rethink herself. Perhaps they were real and perhaps it had been this witch that had brought her here in the first place.

Sihtric moves along, quickly riding to the front of the group, along side of the other men. She recognized them, Finan and Osferth, at the front. They were among Uthred close friends on the show and were usually always beside him, having pledge their swords to him.

When they appeared in front of the gates of Aeashine, Cece found herself amazed at its grander. She had never seen something so amazing in her entire life. When she had seen the buildings on the shows they appeared smaller and less cool; where as now staring at it in person made her feel extremely small in comparison. The thought that men with their bare hands had created this, with no technology to do the work for them, but just muscle; amazed her.

After all the show held some truth to it, the basics of the plot was set in truth. The beginning of the country known as England and it meant that this place, Aeashine, had been as real as her. This was the same dirt that would eventually be in her home time, this dirt would see countless feet walking over it for hundreds of years.

It amazed her and bewildered her all at the same time. For she was not from this land and yet she was here.

It made her wonder, why?

|danish fate|

UTHRED stood before them all, the king and his Eldormen. They all sat in a circle as they listened to the tale that Uthred had told about his journey, recounting everything that had happened. It was than his turn to listen as the King announced, "Uthred we have been discussing strategy and have decided that we shall remain here, within the barracks and wait."

"For what," Uthred asked as he looked to Alfred, the king. The warrior placed his foot on the stone that surrounded the fire, his hands picking at the bread and throwing bits into his mouth.

"For Bloodhair to attack," Edward, the kings heir, said as if it were obvious. To which Uthred disagreed. He knew the Danes and their way of thinking, he knew more than anyone in this room what was to come and an attack was not it.

"And what makes you believe he will attack," Uthred questioned the soon to be King.

"Is that not what Danes do, Uthred," Edward questioned his friend, "they can not help themselves."

"Why should he not attack," the boys father, asked from beside him, "I am here."

"You are here," Uthred agreed, "and so too is your guard. Why throw men against the walls of a baracks, when the riches of Whinchester aren't protected?"

"Would he do that," Edward quickly leaned close to his father, suddenly very concerned for the people of his home. His young age made him more susceptible of allowing his emotions to run away with him.

"He doesn't have an army large enough to hold Whincester," Father Beocca thought aloud, trying to dismiss any fears of their home.

"What if Haesten were to join him," Uthred suggested. He knew they would not attack the King, they didn't really want the king but rather his land and silver. Both of which were not here and were back in Whinchester.

"You seem to be saying, that we should have remained at home Uthred," Aethelwold, the false king, as they called him, mocked the warrior.

"If you believe the advantage of the Baracks to be dismissed Lord," a voice announced from behind Uthred, "you must clearly have an alternative."

Uthred turned to face the man who had suggested he had alternative motives, than what was best for the King and his men. Uthred had pledge himself to Alfred and doing as such meant he was loyal to the King. Anyone that suggested otherwise was blatantly insulting him, "I don't know you."

"I am Siggabrit," the skinny male stood, holding his ground, "the great son of Sigelf. It is my villages that the heathen burned. My father built these walls."

"And he built them well, Siggabrit," Uthred announced before turning back to the King, "which is why Bloodhair will not attack."

"He will not want to loose men," he stated after a moment of silence.

"Not even to kill a King," Alfred asked in confusion. He did not understand the Danes and their ways, for he knew if the roles were reversed he'd be going straight for the King. It was because of this belief that he wasn't in agreement with Uthred's advice.

"He will wait," Uthred began, "for us to starve or he will pass Lord. He will not attack. But we must, that is still my advice."

"If Whinchester, is venerable, my Lord-" the father began to say but was neglected as the King spoke again.

"This woman that you have taken," Alfred announced aloud for all to hear, "why is she here?"

"She has value," Uthred shifted his weight, already knowing that Alfred would disagree with his choice.

"And Sigurd will want her back," the King thought aloud again, "I refuse to call him Bloodhair."

"He will," Uthred agreed.

"She is what to him," Aethelwold asked next, "a wife? A lover?"

Uthred paced clearly uncomfortable with announcing what Skade was to Bloodhair. He knew these Saxon's would not agree and mock them with their beliefs, "she is uh.."

"A seer," he finally let out. Looking to the fire and than looking to the men that sat around him, "a sorceress."

The room grew thick with tension as the men all waited for the king to speak. He appeared to be deep in thought, as his hands sat peacefully in his lap and his back straightened. There was no telling what could have been going on inside his head and it was because of this that Uthred had no idea what he was going to say next.

"And the other," the King asked with an eyebrow raised.

Finan who sat behind Uthred sat up a bit straighter at the mention of their new companion, he didn't know the girl entirely and yet he, himself felt the need to protect her.

"What of her," Uthred shot back at the King.

"A whore to warm your bed, Uthred," Aethelwold mocked with a laugh, "surely, the Lady Gisela would be disappointed."

"She is of no such," Uthred snapped at his old weasel of a friend, "just a traveler in need of company."

"It is settled than," the King clapped his hands together, "Steapa will receive her from your care and place her in mine. I will than question the child and all will be well. Women do not just appear out of thin air."

"Yes," Uthred agreed threw tight lips. He wasn't sure why, but the thought of leaving the golden girl alone with King Alfred rubbed him wrong, "of course, my Lord King."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

268K 9K 52
There's no way you're hitting on me right now. ━ Lando Norris x Fem!OC © KissLeclerc , April 2024 Started: April 8, 2024 Completed: May 10, 2...
634K 9.9K 65
ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ 𝗔𝗱𝗱𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘄𝗿𝗼𝗻𝗴 𝗻𝘂𝗺𝗯𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝗼 𝗮 𝗴𝗿𝗼𝘂𝗽𝗰𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗶𝘀 𝗲𝗮𝘀𝗶𝗹𝘆 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗻𝗼 𝗺𝗮𝘁𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗵𝗼𝘄 𝗳𝗮𝗺𝗼𝘂𝘀 𝘆𝗼�...
287K 6.6K 35
"That better not be a sticky fingers poster." "And if it is ." "I think I'm the luckiest bloke at Hartley." Heartbreak High season 1-2 Spider x oc
2.1M 110K 62
↳ ❝ [ INSANITY ] ❞ ━ yandere alastor x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, (y/n) dies and for some strange reason, reincarnates as a ...