Changes and Choices

By NinaX17_

When Riley gets accepted into her dream college with her best friend, everything changes. Drama follows her... More

Girls Cast
Boys Cast
A Fresh Start.
A hideous dress, and then some.
Falling. Again.
Hot and cold.
Dance.
Weakness.

Practice? Party? Practice.

105 45 101
By NinaX17_

That asshole turned out to be a lean, blond dude with striking green eyes. As attractive as he was, there was no way he was getting away with this.

"Do you usually like crashing into people and make them drop their breakfast?" I glare at him.

"Do you usually not watch where you're going?" He fires back which angers me even more, so I just keep glaring at him.
"I'm sorry, okay? I was kind of in a rush." He adds. The way that he apologizes makes me feel better, but that doesn't change the fact that the coffees are now spilled on the ground.

"It's alright." I mumble, turning to head back to the café to buy other drinks.

"Where are you going?" He questions. The nerve of this guy. You know what they say about curiosity, right? It's killed the cat. I am five seconds away from doing just that.

"Why?" I question, still sort of mad.

"Because if you're going back to the café, I'll buy you the coffees I ruined." He states, which surprises me.

"Thanks, but no thanks." I reply, actually grateful that he offered, but I wasn't just going to let some stranger buy me something. "I think you owe me the right to ask why you were in a hurry?" I question and he frowns.

"Nosey, aren't we?" It's my turn to frown, and he laughs.

"Just answer the question." I demand, which makes him laugh even more.

"Fine, I was going to meet someone," he answers, just as we reach the café's double doors. He pushes both of them open, dramatically if I do say so myself, then adds "and there she is."

I look up to see "Izzy?"
I'm actually stunned. Izzy? This guy is her new boy toy, isn't he?

"Riles!" She exclaims, walking towards me, and engulfs me in a hug.

"You two know each other?" The guy asks, clearly confused.

"Yes. Aiden, can you just give us a minute?" Izzy asks politely.

"Yes, Aiden. Can you give us a minute?" I repeat, over pronouncing his name. He shrugs and walks away, out of earshot.

"This is my boyfriend." Izzy states with a huge smile on her face. "I was supposed to meet him here ten minutes ago, but I ran late. I guess he did, too." She adds, with a light laugh.

"We'll I'm running late, and I really have to get a replacement for the drinks your 'boyfriend' made me drop." I say, clearly still salty.

"Nah, don't worry about it. They're on me." She insists, and I don't argue. Izzy isn't a stranger after all.

Izzy walks over to the counter and orders me new coffees. Two minutes go by, and she's handing me the new drinks.

"Thank you." I say.

"Don't mention it." She replies, waving her hands, as if dismissing my thanks.
"You got to go though, or else Hayley will rip you head off for being late." She adds and I smirk, knowing damn well that Hayley probably would.

"Oh! I forgot to tell you! There's this party tonight at one of my friends house, outside of campus. He always hosts parties there. I'll text ya the deets." She says walking away, towards her new 'boyfriend'.

"Great." I mumble heading outside, back towards the dorm.

"Aw, look who's back." Hayley says to no one in particular. "Did you get lost on the way? Is that what took you so long?" She asks, sarcasm dripping from her mouth. She always has to add a snarky comment, doesn't she?

"Very funny, Hales. No, I didn't get lost, but I did run into your sister's new boyfriend. Literally." I say.

"Ooh, was he hot?" She asks, curiously.

"Hayley! He's your sister's boyfriend." I fake gasp, half joking and half not. We both know Izzy will have a new boyfriend by next week but it's still her boyfriend.

"Yeah, yeah." She dismisses me, getting off her bed to start getting ready.

"Why aren't you dressed yet." I ask.

"I wanted to get your opinion on what to wear." She says, rummaging through the closet.

"I thought you were going to wear...that." I say, pointing to the atrocious yellow dress.

"Nah, that's for another day." She says simply, waving her hand. What's up with the hand waving? She and her sister do that a lot these days. Is it like a sister thing?

"You can wear it tonight." I state.

"Tonight?" She repeats.

"Yeah, we're going to a party at one of Izzy's friends house." I tell her. She stops rummaging and turns around, a huge smile plastered on her face.
"Whoa there, Cinderella. It's just a party, It's not like you've never been to one."

"I haven't been to a college party yet." She says, and I sigh. Hayley and her technicalities. She turns back to the closet and pulls out a nice looking dress. It's a simple baby blue dress with a white belt.

"This one's pretty isn't it?" She smiles, looking at the dress as if she designed it herself. I shrug and she rolls her eyes, mumbling inaudible stuff under her breath. I swear I heard her say "asswipe" at some point.

                           *    *    *

I lay on my bed, thinking about the day I had. Today wasn't so bad, just boring. Chemistry class went smoothly. I even get partnered with a cute boy. History, though? The teacher called on me while I was picturing the way Harry Potter had sassed Professor Snape. I wasn't listening to any word the teacher had said in class, to be honest. Everyone in class giggled and I had felt heat rushing to my cheeks.

My thoughts get interrupted by the door opening. Hayley walks in with a huge smile on her face. Her arms and face have paint all over them.

"Party time." She says, in a sing song voice.

"Did a unicorn throw up on you, or something?" I tease. She walks in and starts rummaging through he backpack.

"Ha, ha." She rolls her eyes. Dumping all the contents of the bag onto her bed. "Where is it?" She mumbles.

"What are you looking for?" I ask.

"My lipstick." She replies, still rummaging through her stuff.

After a few moments of quiet, I say "Hayley, I have bad news." and wait for her response anxiously.

"What is it?" She asks, frowning and stops looking for the lipstick I know she left in the bathroom this morning. I wasn't going to tell her that, though. Not until she gets super frustrated and starts to tug on her hair gently, like she always does.

"I can't go to the party." I mumble, super quietly.

"What was that?" She turns around and asks, not quiet hearing what I said.

"I can't go to the party, Hales." I repeat, sadly.

"Very funny." She turns back around.

"I really can't, though" I tell her.

"Why not?" She whines. "Are you trying to bail on me just to read some Maze Runner fanfic?" She asks suspiciously.

"I swear to you, I'm not. I just found out that I have basketball practice three times a week, from 7pm to 9pm." I say, truthfully.

"Can you make it after practice?" She asks, thinking of a way that I can make it.

"I won't have time to get ready." I reply and she rolls her eyes.

"Yes you will, Riles. You get ready in fifteen minutes. You'll take a shower in five, get dressed in five and then you'll do your makeup in another five minutes." I can practically see the gears in her head turning, trying to find a way that I'll make it to the party.

"I promise you that I'll try my best, Hales. But if i don't make it, don't get mad at me, alright?" I ask.

"Okay." She says, heading to the bathroom for a shower.

"Okay." I repeat, and decide to study everything we learned today.

I don't even notice what time it is, until my phone's alarm goes off. Fifteen minutes until practice starts. Closing my books and putting them in the drawer neatly, I grab my clothes and head towards the bathroom to get changed.

My outfit consists of black shorts, a black sports bra, a black mesh top over it and some white basketball shoes. I have absolutely no idea what's with me and white shoes. I just love them.

Grabbing my sports bag, I stuff two water bottles and a small towel into it. Yes, two water bottles, don't judge me. I forgot to bring my water flask with my from Philly.

"See ya, Hales." I say, opening the door.

"See ya at the party, Riles." She replies and I shake my head, smiling.

One thing I admire about Hayley is that she never gives up.

                           *    *    *

The basketball court was filled with people. Some boys and some girls. I shuffle around uncomfortably, my eyes scanning each and every face until they land on him. His striking hazel eyes catch mine and I can't breathe.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.8M 649K 64
Bitmiş nefesi, biraz kırılgan sesi, Mavilikleri buz tutmuş, Elleri nasırlı, Gözleri gözlerime kenetli; "İyi ki girdin hayatıma." Diyor. Ellerim eller...
156K 2.6K 47
just read
124K 5.8K 44
ငယ်ငယ်ကတည်းက ရင့်ကျက်ပြီး အတန်းခေါင်းဆောင်အမြဲလုပ်ရတဲ့ ကောင်လေး ကျော်နေမင်း ခြူခြာလွန်းလို့ ကျော်နေမင်းက ပိုးဟပ်ဖြူလို့ နာမည်ပေးခံရတဲ့ ကောင်မလေး နေခြ...
46.3K 2K 19
"Show me somethin' different once, I come from where there's no love." COPYRIGHT 23. #1 ATLANTA 05/01/2024 🏆