The Mysterious Mr. Black

By therandomantic

There's something about Mr. Black that Michael cannot point out. When he started working for him, buried mem... More

Prologue
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20.1
20.2
20.4
20.5
20.6
20.7
20.8

20.3

5.8K 240 24
By therandomantic

Chapter 20 (Part three)

So since our car is a two-seater pick-up truck, Hector and I were cramped like sardines in a can. His big muscular body is my pushing my right side toward the door.

"Everything alright boys?" my father inquired.

"Yes sir."
"Yep." we both replied at the same time. For all I know, that was just us being polite. I opened the window to let my arm out so that I can at least adjust for a little space. I knew I should've sat outside on the carrier.

"So where are you from Hector?" my father asked my seatmate.

"Um. Long Island." He answered but it's obvious that he hesitated sharing it at first.

"Long Island. Wow. No wonder you could afford that car. What brings you to Carmona Rosa?"

"I was actually on my way to meet some friends on California but then the accident happened."

The car stopped on a pedestrian and my father took the chance to talk further to our guest.

"But the main highway was 2 kilometers away from our town. You must be going the wrong way."

"It was late and I saw your sign so I decided to have some shut eye first. That's when my car slipped towards the tree." Hector replied. 

Liar! He was drunk that's why he crashed his car.

"Yeah. You got to be careful since our roads gets slippery with mud after it rains. It rained like cats and dogs yesterday you know." 

"I guess I didn't see how much mud there is since it was dark yesterday."

I still don't get it why he does not want to tell the truth. He's being dodgy with his answers.

"You know you could still take a bus to the airport and catch a plane to your friends. Then you can come back here once your car is totally repaired." my father suggested.

"No it's alright. My trip was supposed to be an adventure. I'm sure this is just a little detour before I can continue on my journey.  Plus I just can't leave my car behind. I love that baby too much that I got to drive her until I reach my destination."

"If that's the case then you can have a little side trip on your own. Perhaps my son could take you for a sight-seeing." I stared at my dad for his unannounced volunteerism on my part. Say what now? "We've got beautiful sceneries here. I'm sure you would enjoy them as much as California." 

"I'll think about it. How much time would you think it would take until I can ride my car back?"

"We'll it depends on what Rick would say. I'll give you his number if you want."

The crossing was cleared and we went right towards the town's parking lot. "Look for an open spot will you son." my father asked and I surveyed the area for an available space.

"Your favorite spot is available." my father nodded and parked the car in front of the trolley bay. I immediately opened the door and stretched my body while Hector talked to my dad for Rick's phone number.

"I'll be quick at the supermarket after that I'll visit the hardware store. Mike,  keep our guest entertained" my father said before entering the store. 

"So where's the nearest ATM?" Hector asked me with his boyish little smile. 

"Follow me." If he ever attemted to run, I swear he will regret it for the rest of his life. We walked for a while until we reached the ATM on the other side of the building.

"I just have to make a call before I withdraw." he said.

I smiled, but in a sarcastic way which was not obvious. " Sure." 

He dialed a number. "Hello? Is this Rick?" Rick, as in my father's friend Rick? "This is Hector the owner of the red car which I believed you have already picked up?" 

But why would he need to call Rick?

"Listen um, based on you assessment, how much would I owe you just to get my car at the earliest possible time?... Uhmm Money is not a problem for me. I'll pay you extra just to make it done at the least possible time.... How much? ... Okay. Not a problem. Bye" and he hang up.

"He's a nice fella." he said to me. Probably because I still got my confused look on my face. "Okay, so where were we?" he rubbed his hands together before inserting his card on the machine. I was still watching him closely but he looked at me back. 

"I need you to look back."

I knew it. He's trying to run away. And to think that he almost fooled me with his phony phone call. "Why?" I demanded.

"I don't want you to see my pin code."  he said. I scoffed. As if I had the intention of robbing him when all I ever did was accommodate his request with not much questions.

"Fine. Three seconds." That should give him enough time to input his pin. He nodded and I counted from one to three before I turned back again. Interestingly enough he was still there. A few minutes later and a whole bunch of money was coming out on the ATM. 

"What?" he asked. "You looked surprised?"

"Did you just robbed the bank?"
"No. Why would you even say that?"

I pointed towards the stack of cash in his hand.

"That's a lot of cash Hector." and it screams suspicious.

"I know but Rick asked for a downpayment. I would have withdrawn more but my card already reached its maximum daily withdrawal so I guess this will have to do." he replied casually.

"Yes. Thank you for mentioning the daily withdrawal limit. Isn't that like 300$ or 500$. Yours appeared to have exhausted all our reserves on the central bank."

"Not to sound arrogant but I think that depends on the bank and what type of account you have. If your average daily balance is high the bank is more likely to give you perks like a high withdrawal limit."

I wanted to roll my eyes but I know it will make me look like a sore loser. Fine, he's legit rich and it's not fair because he already has some good genes.

"Now, how much do I owe you again?" 

I told him the cost. He counted from his money and gave some of them to me.

"That's a week's worth of stay. I guess I will be staying until I get my car back."

I counted the money. "Okay." It was the most money we received for this week.

"I'm hungry." he said.

"But you just ate."

"I know but I'm craving for something. Would you like some ice cream?" he pointed toward an ice cream truck on the opposite road.

"Sure. As long as you're paying." I feel like he's more of the guide here than me. We crossed the road and stood behind rowdy little kids. 

"What do you want?" he asked me.

"Bubble gum."

"I don't think they sell candies here."

"No. I meant bubble gum flavored ice cream." I pointed at the menu to prove that I'm not making it up.

"What? Is bubble-gum a flavor now?" he sounded genuinely surprised.

"It's always been an ice cream flavor sine I don't know... the fifties."

"Hmm. Interesting. I didn't know that."

What kind of an adult does not know a bubble gum flavored ice cream? His spoiled ass looks amazed at the newfound concept that bubble gum is an ice cream flavor too. I thought he would be ordering one too but he went with the chocolate and nuts instead.

"Thank you." I said when he handed me mine.

"So where do we go now?" he asked me.

"I guess we can take a walk while we wait for my father to be done with his purchase." this time I led the way and showed him the parts of our town. He was actually a nice companion. I'm ashamed I misjudged him. Yeah yeah. I've got my own prejudice with attractive people cause they're always the popular ones in school and most of them are the mean ones but I guess he's one of the exceptions.

"What does it taste like?"he pointed at the ice cream I'm holding.

"I don't know. Gummy?" I don't know how to describe the taste.

"Let me have a taste." without a warning, he licked a part of it. I should be disgusted but I just stood there in shock as I observe him tasting the flavor.

"Hmm. Not bad."

"Yeah." I replied. You're not so bad yourself.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

623K 25.3K 43
Jackson, an introverted young man attends a bachelor party for his best friend at one of the hottest gay clubs in town. Not looking forward to the ni...
3M 136K 28
"And who in the hell are you?" "I...I'm y-your q-queen..." ... Or where, a sweet boy Louis is marked to be married off to the prince of his country f...
880K 30.8K 21
Stephen is a hard working person and very secretive. He doesn't let just anybody know his secrets and worries. Like how he has to take care of his si...
318K 11.3K 31
Don't blush. It will just make you look sweeter... Whack! Smack! Slap! Xavier That sound has always made my heart flutter. Especially after a fateful...