𝐏𝐋𝐔𝐓𝐎 | KUROO TETSUROU

By lovinglyaurora

━━━━ kuroo tetsurou. it's funny how the world works sometimes; one minute you are at your peak, the next you... More

00 : POLAR OPPOSITES.
01 : A WARM WELCOME.
02 : MORNING LOVE LETTERS.
03 : ONE AFTERNOON.
04 : HEART-RACING MOMENTS.
06 : THE CATS ARE HOME.
07 : PAIN-INDUCING SKETCHES.
08 : COMMENCE.
09 : THE BATTLE OF THE TRASH HEAP.
10 : BONDS.
11 : OPEN AND SUBTLE DECLARATIONS.
12 : SUPERMARKET ENCOUNTERS.
13 : PEACH AND RAINBOW CAKES.
14 : OUR CONTENDERS.
15 : SPONTANEOUS HEART-STOPPERS.
16 : THE CATS' REVIVAL.
17 : INTO THE FRAY.
18 : THE VICTORS.
19 : YOU'RE FINE.
20 : A TICKLISH HEART.
21 : THE ARRIVAL OF HAIBA LEV.
22 : THREE SYLLABLES.
23 : HIGH TEMPERATURES.
24 : THE START OF THE TRAINING CAMP.
25 : FIRST TIME.
SPECIAL CHAPTER : A 10K TREAT.
26 : POUNDING OPPORTUNITIES.
27 : MOONLIGHT MELODY.
28 : SANCTUARY.
29 : GENUINE HAPPINESS.
30 : DRAWING TO A CLOSE.
31 : SOFTEST LINGER.
32 : MOMENTS THAT TRANSCEND TIME.
33 : THE FIRST DAY.
34 : SIMPLE STRENGTH.
35 : FIGHTING FOR HAPPINESS.
36 : TO MY YOUTH.
37 : SPRING, EARTH, AND IRON CHEERFULNESS.
38 : FLOWER-AND-FRUIT-SCENTED CONNECTIONS.
39 : A SPARKLING SKY OF SHOOTING STARS.
40 : NARROWING THE SPACE.
41 : THE PROMISE OF LINGERING SPARKS.
42 : MISSING COLORS.
43 : GREETINGS OF EXHILARATION.
44 : THE CATS AGAINST THE WORLD.
45 : GLORIFIED.
FIN : WE DESERVE A HAPPY EPILOGUE, MY LOVE.
BONUS CHAPTER 1 : SUNRISE.
not an update !!

05 : MANAGERIAL ROLES AND SMILES.

12.9K 524 196
By lovinglyaurora

The whole day passed by like a blur. There weren't many events that would be deemed important as the lessons flew by. People congratulated Yukimi in the intervals of her classes, whether it be in the hallways, in the vending machine of the third floor, or in the science laboratory. To be honest, they shouldn't be congratulating her, she wasn't in any contests in the past week, to begin with. But, no matter how many times Yukimi reminded them that there wasn't any competition, they would only just wave it off and tell her that she still represented the school and was acknowledged by the University of Tokyo. She would then reply with a shaky smile and a questioning thank you.

The same situation was still happening as the last teacher for the day announced dismissal when the school bell rang. People still congratulated her as she walked down the hallway to proceed to one of the school's gym to formally introduce herself as the volleyball club's manager, as what Kuroo told her. After replacing her indoor shoes with her outdoor ones, Yukimi headed off to the gym; Kuroo's notebook and her indoor shoes in her hands.

Upon arriving in front of the metal doors of the gym, she could hear the squeaks of the volleyball shoe against the hardwood floor, the occasional shouts from the coaches, and the bouncing of the balls. Taking a deep breath as she switched into her indoor shoes again, she prepared herself as she opened the gym doors. There in the gym was the volleyball club looking at her with big smiles and an old and middle-aged man stationed at the benches, the former grinning at her while the latter was expectantly looking at her. Quickly realizing that her gawking might come off as rude, Yukimi hastily bowed, still at the entrance of the gym.

"Good afternoon, I'm the new manager Kuroo-san recommended. My name is Kazahana Yukimi," she announced, straightening up herself. "I'll do my best in my duties. Please take care of me!"

The old man stood up with his arms crossed, the grin on his face still intact. "She's here!" he bellowed with a laugh. "Welcome to the volleyball club, young lady. Please take care of us as well. I'm Nekomata Yasufumi," he introduced, turning around to the other man. "It's a good school year to have someone to reign these rowdy boys, huh, Naoi?"

The middle-aged man still seated nodded, now with a kind smile on his face. "You're right, Nekomata-san," he chuckled. He then turned his attention to Yukimi who was sporting a determined look on her face. "Welcome, Kazahana-san, my name is Naoi Manabu," he told her. "I hope you won't bail on us at the last minute when these boys get out of hand, okay?"

Yukimi nodded. "You can count on me, Coach Nekomata, Coach Naoi," she replied, giving a little bow again.

"You should introduce yourself to the boys," Nekomata told her, nodding towards the volleyball team who was looking at the three of them.

"I have already acquainted myself with them, Nekomata-san," she answered. "I met them last week when I agreed to be the club's manager."

Nekomata laughed heartily. "That's great then! Boys, why don't you formally meet your new manager," he instructed the teenage boys with a close-eyed smile.

Kuroo, who was grinning widely, chuckled and beckoned the other members to take a step forward. He told them to stand in a straight line and quickly made a countdown. "Please take care of us!" Their voices reverberated through the gym, making Yukimi flinch a little but quickly regained herself as she let out a chuckle, smiling at the volleyball team in front of her. Kuroo rose both of his eyebrows when he caught her gaze, then giving her a discreet wink afterward.

The boys' reactions were all different. The first-years, namely So Inuoka, Tamahiko Teshiro, and Yuki Shibayama all gaped at Yukimi, never believing that they get to see the pretty girl grace the gym every morning and afternoon. The second-years, however, contrasted with each other; with Yamamoto Taketora causing a scene, shouting "We got a pretty and foxy manager!" in a loop with the accompaniment of heart-eyes while Kozume Kenma nodded with an indifferent face, and Fukunaga Shohei silently looking at the new manager with a tilted head. The third-years all had smiles on their faces, with Yaku the biggest, his expression rivaling Taketora as he visibly admired the smile painted on Yukimi's face.

When Yukimi was called on by the two coaches, the volleyball team formed a huddle, all facing each other with a determined expression ( except for Kenma and Fukunaga ). They all have one thing in mind and they needed to voice it out to one another as a declaration. That is —

"We have to protect kirei-senpai from the wolves among the school!" Taketora announced. "We all know her to be the darling of the campus so it's our job, as her beloved volleyball club members, to ward off any unnecessary leeches clinging and confessing to her every other day."

"I agree!" Yaku nodded. "But that's going too far with preventing boys to confess to her. I empathize with them if they don't get to be graced with her presence." The libero then looked at the direction of Yukimi, who was nodding at what Nekomata is saying. Yaku then smiled dreamily. "Look at her, she's such a beauty and she's so cool there, learning the ways of being with us."

"I agree, Yaku-senpai!" Inuoka shouted gleefully. "We never had a female manager when I was in middle school so this is refreshing. And Kazahana-san's pretty, too!"

"So, everyone," Taketora once again intervened. "As one of the many volleyball club's pacts, we swear to always look out for our precious manager!"

"Osu!" The rest of the club, except for Kuroo ( who was chuckling away ), Kenma ( sighing at the predicament that is the volleyball club ), and Fukunaga ( who only had his fist raised, still a blank expression on his face ).

On the other hand, Yukimi was standing in front of the two coaches of the club, attentively listening to them speak about the various positions the members have. Apparently, Kuroo is one of the middle blockers alongside Inuoka, the first year with the spiky hair and sparkly eyes. Kenma and Teshiro are the setters, with the latter being a reserve player. Shibayama and Yaku being the liberos, with Nekomata commenting that Yaku is one of the most talented liberos out there with a proud smile that Yukimi couldn't help but smile back. The rest of the team, Kai, Fukunaga, and Yamamoto, are the wing spikers. Yukimi only understood what the positions are because her mother sometimes watched the reruns of the games of the national team on TV and she sometimes went to her childhood friend's games when they were younger.

She noted to learn the various terms later at night, just to refresh her memory. It's been a while since she acquainted herself with volleyball terms.

Next, Nekomata told her about her responsibilities and duties as a club manager. As far as she knew, Kuroo told her earlier that day that she had to prepare their energy drinks and food, give some towels every after practice, and distributing out the bibs when there's a practice match. But the coach also informed her of her job on keeping tabs on the players' weaknesses and strengths and how to help them improve on their spikes, serves, sets, and receives. He also suggested to always keep a notebook to take down any information on how she perceived the various forms and techniques of the players, to which she could do perfectly, seeing as she always had a knack for taking down notes.

"I also suggest you be always aware of your surroundings, Kazahana-san," Nekomata told her, making her furrow her brows in confusion. "Except for the fact that you need that awareness to tally the number of successful and failed serves and spikes of the members — that could happen as well."

The old coach then pointed at the boys having their practice game, with the team divided into two teams. She witnessed Fukunaga spike the ball tossed by Kenma, with Kuroo blocking it from the opposite side of the net. The ball ricocheted and was received by Shibayama, who apparently received the ball poorly, making it fly towards the side with a thunderous bang. Yukimi felt herself nervously gulp. She shifted her attention to Nekomata, who was snickering at the fearful expression of the new manager.

"Don't let that get to you, Kazahana-san!" he cheered, patting her gently on the back. "Now, Naoi, about that proposition that the faculty room received earlier in the morning."

Naoi, the younger coach, jumped and turned at Nekomata. "Oh, our old rivals called and requested a practice match," he informed, the older man nodding with a nostalgic yet mischievous glint in his eyes. "They want to have a practice match with our team."

Nekomata continued nodding. "Ah, 'The fallen crows', huh?" He then laughed. "A great timing for us for having a manager then! Do you know Karasuno, Kazahana-san?"

Karasuno. The fallen powerhouse. The home of the crows. At least that's what her childhood friend told her, and the school that he vowed to enter once they graduate middle school. And from the messages she received from her friend, Yukimi was proud that he was accepted easily to this dream school of his. "It's the school my childhood friend chose to enter," Yukimi answered with a smile. "They're the powerhouse school of the Miyagi prefecture a few years back, that's the reason why my friend joined their volleyball team. They had one of the best wing spikers in that year, too, 'The Little Giant', he's called."

The older coach nodded in response. Naoi decided to observe the plays of the volleyball team, leaving behind the two to continue with their conversation. "Indeed, you're correct, Kazahana-san," he agreed. "They're the cats' untimely rivals. While we lost our claim on the land, they lost their ability to fly. In other terms, we're the loser rivals." He then laughed, making Yukimi remember how her friend relayed to her how hopeless Karasuno's team when he entered. She only hoped that's not the case now. "Their previous coach and I were rivals back in the days, and we decided to make our teams face against each other, too, and not just on any court, we want them to face each other on a national scale. But, we can only cling to practice matches as of now."

As Nekomata talked to her, her gaze kept flitting towards the direction of the volleyball team. From what she observed while they were playing, all of them are talented volleyball players, but their teamwork caught her eye. They were all in sync with each other. She watched as the ball made an arc from Yaku's receive, traveling perfectly to where Teshiro is situated in the court, while Yamamoto and Kuroo jumped at the same time. Her eyes widened when Kuroo gave her a glance after spiking the ball over the net. Left mesmerized at the way Kuroo did the spike, the two never looked away, with Kuroo panting while his teammates cheered at the background.

"Say, Kazahana-san," Nekomata called for her, making her break the eye contact with Kuroo. "Do you want to come with us to Miyagi? We planned a lot of practice matches when Golden Week comes and as the manager, we want you to be present there. Naoi will give you the permission slip later after the practice and you should let your parents sign it. But if they won't let you," he grinned mischievously, "those boys on the court will do anything, even barge into your home, and beg on their knees to your parents to let you come."

Yukimi laughed out loud, making the volleyball team look at their direction while they were advised to take a break. Just the image of the volleyball team doing consecutive bows to her mother made her shake her head in disbelief. "Don't worry, coach," she told him. "My Mom will definitely let me come. This is an opportunity to make friends after all."

Nekomata once again nodded with a smile. "That's our reliable manager!" he told her. "We're leaving on the third day of May, on Thursday, early in the morning so better be prepared! Now, why don't you come with me and watch the boys play, okay?"

The short-haired girl followed after the older coach and settled beside him on the bench. The ball was in possession of Kenma's team, with Kai serving. The ball was then received by Yaku, who visibly showed his annoyance at the shabbiness of his receive, giving the other team a chance ball. He yelled an apology to the others which was retaliated by Kuroo ( 'Don't mind, don't mind!" ) as the ball was received by Shibayama, giving it to Kai who passed it to Kenma. Yukimi noted how the second-year seemed to stay at one place since the start of the game so she turned to Nekomata in an inquiry.

"Does Kenma play like that often?" she asked, somewhat embarrassed for not watching the volleyball club. It just so happened that whenever the school's team had a game, she was always picked to be a part of a contest.

"Ah," Nekomata grinned. "Despite the fact that he isn't the fittest member of the team, his way of analysing the opponents make up for it. We're not called the 'The Cats' for nothing and it's all thanks to him for making everything flow like it is fluid."

Amazed, she turned back to the court with widened eyes. Their rallies, their set-ups, their blocks, their spikes, they were all so entrancing. They seem solid whenever a ball comes their way and they perfectly executed their plays while still displaying flaws like jumping a second too late when blocking a spike or setting too high or too low for a teammate. One thing's for sure, her joining the Nekoma volleyball team is something she will never regret at the moment and in the future. Because at that moment, playing volleyball makes them alive and there's something optimistic about watching someone so passionate in a club.

Naoi announced that their practice was enough for the day and that they should start on their cool down exercises. The coach looked at her and smiled. "You should start distributing their water bottles and towels, Kazahana-san," he told her, making the girl nod and stand up.

Yukimi then patted her skirt and went to where the towels and water bottle carry tray are situated. Carefully carrying the water bottle tray on one hand and the towels under her other one, she placed the tray on the ground next to the bench she was sitting on. Approaching the first-years first, she gave them each a water bottle and a towel.

"You played wonderfully," she told them as they received the water bottles after wiping their faces with the towel. "Though some of your receives are slightly off and your blocks are just a little late, you can still work on them before the practice matches on Golden Week. Try to focus on reading the set-ups of the other team and ask your seniors to spike balls to you as your practice in receiving. Always be aware, okay?" That should do it, right? She just gave them advice just like what Coach Nekomata told her to do.

At this, the three first-years brightened. "Thank you, kirei-senpai!" They shouted, making Yukimi blush at the nickname. Shaking her head, she then headed to where the rest of the team is.

"Thank you, Kazahana-san," Kai told her with a smile.

"Aah, this is such a beautiful image!" Taketora exclaimed. "Thank you, kirei-senpai!"

"Here you go, Kozume-san," she said, handing Kenma water bottle and towel. The setter shyly took the two from her hands, thanking her quietly from under his breath.

"Kazahana-chan, I think I got rejuvenated just from looking at your beautiful face!" Yaku praised, making her laugh.

Fukunaga only nodded at her in gratitude when she turned to him. Smiling in return, she then looked up at Kuroo who was expectantly waiting for his turn to be given a towel and an energy drink. "Here, Kuroo-san," she said, a small smile on her lips.

Since they finished their practice match, Kuroo stared at her while she was distributing the energy drinks and towels to everyone else. Last night, the volleyball captain did a good job of procrastination after coming home from the college prep classes he took when there's no after-school practice. The ceiling made him succumb to a night of solitude with the accompaniment of the rustling branches from outside his room and the crickets chirping through the night. While looking at the pristine white wood above him, Kuroo was informed that they would have a practice match among the team the following day and the same day Yukimi would introduce herself to the coach that she was handpicked by Kuroo to be manager. He promised himself that he would brandish his skills to her and he had to give it his all.

Well, who wouldn't show off when the person you like watched you play?

Apparently, Kuroo didn't show off. Those ever observing brown eyes made him self-conscious for an unknown reason. There were instances when he just wanted to scare the other team with his blocks but he quickly caught himself because as what Taketora told him, his face looked scary when he does that. For the rest of the practice game, he never shouted too much and his plays were always measured and not spontaneous. This left his teammates to look at him weirdly since they were used to their captain being brazen about playing, shouting here, cackling there, and taunting the opposing team a mocking visage — he is known to be Bokuto Koutarou's best friend after all and the 'provocation expert'.

"How was your first day being our manager?" Kuroo asked her while wiping his face with the towel. "I hope it's interesting enough for you to stay."

Yukimi looked at him after a minute of shifting her attention to the volleyball team. "Well, to be honest?" she asked him, making him nod. "I'm glad I joined as your manager. Just seeing you guys play there in that court, looking so carefree but so calculated, it made me think that by playing volleyball, you all look so alive. It's like you breathe volleyball, and it's nice to witness how much you focus and engross yourself into this sport and it made me want to be passionate about something, too."

Molten gold met with caramel brown as Kuroo was once again in awe of her. As they continued staring at each other, he could never fathom rejecting such an idyllic girl. He never understood Romio's reason for neglecting the feelings Yukimi bared to him. For what? For thinking that he wasn't good enough for her? For thinking that this phenomenal person deserves someone better? For thinking that he managed to acquire commitment issues? Heck, Kuroo felt all those when it comes to the brilliant Kazahana Yukimi. One thing could be established — Romio is one lucky guy and he was stuck here thinking how unlucky he was as he watched her look at that boy the same way he always looked at her.

If unrequited love was a disease, Kuroo would be vomiting bouquets of lavenders and sunflowers at the bottom of his feet because as the minutes ticked by, he delved deeper into his mind, thinking that why wasn't it him she fell in love with, in the first place?

Shaking his head lightly. "That's great to hear, Kazahana," he replied, staring at the front as he took a sip from his water bottle. "It's good to know we make you feel that way." He directed his gaze at her. "Are you alright, now? Uhm, I'm sorry I'm asking this out of the blue, but are — uhm — okay this week?"

"What do you mean, Kuroo-san?" she asked, bringing her eyes on him again. "I'm perfectly fine, as you noticed."

Kuroo shook his head. "Do you feel anything just like what happened on your birthday?" He could see Yukimi's eyes widened in surprise, making him awkwardly clear his throat. "I'm sorry if you're not comfortable with this—"

"Kuroo-san," she interrupted his rambling. "It's thanks to this club that I don't feel that way this week. So I owe you a lot, Kuroo-san."

Yukimi then flashed him a smile — the smile that captivated him when they were first-years. Who would've thought that he managed to lessen the distance between the two of them? That he was the one who made her smile like that.

As the short girl thoughtfully looked down and made her way to the others, collecting the used towels and water bottles, Kuroo felt his chest constrict.

It's always that damn smile.

OMFG I UPDATED FOR TWO CONSECUTIVE DAYS IN THIS FIC, I'M SO PROUD OF MYSELF. N E WAYS, HAPPY READING EVERYONE AND YOU MIGHT SEE MORE OF THIS FIC BCOS OUR ECQ WAS EXTENDED AGAIN. STAY SAFE AND HEALTHY !!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4K 151 26
in which bokuto has an adoptive sister or her world had been so bland since the accident which took away her family, but when a certain setter enters...
379K 21.6K 33
We'd never really talked before. In fact, I'd always made it a point to avoid him. But Fate had another plan in store. Now here we are and my life is...
258K 5K 57
~y/n is a girl who likes to keep to her self and is not very popular. Her school life has been pretty uneventful. Keeping her mind on her study's and...
123K 3K 33
She is a second year at Nekoma... and she was the powerhouse ace of the girl's volleyball team. That is, until she got injured. Now, all she has left...