Across Dimensions (ONC 2020)

By NgoziGardenia

Cover by @CelticWarriorQueen17 Grayson is an orphaned teen, doing his best to survive in a world where each t... More

Chapter One: Condemned
Chapter Two: The Strange Maximus Hamilton
Chapter Three: From Escape To Gun Point
Chapter Four: Happy Hauntings
Chapter Five: Do Not Panic
Chapter Six: Prison Party Without Popcorn
Chapter Seven:The Truth Behind It All
Chapter Eight: Never Forgotten
Chapter Nine: In The Name Of Science
Chapter Ten: Beginning Of The End
Chapter Eleven: No Going Back
Chapter Thirteen: What We Are
Chapter Fourteen: No Rest For The Thinker
Chapter Fifteen: Pulled Apart
Chapter Sixteen: The Danger Isn't In The Dark
Chapter Seventeen: Life Debts
Chapter Eighteen: The One Who Mattered Most
Chapter Nineteen: When All Is Lost
Chapter Twenty: Across Dimensions

Chapter Twelve: Snapping Point

19 5 18
By NgoziGardenia

"Do you think it's possible that Grayson's dimension has my parents?" I ask, not releasing my hold.

I refuse to let him go without knowing more. The main thing on my mind is the impending doom of our galaxy and theirs. Can anything fix what's already unraveled? Is there something I can do to help? Will my parents be alive when they are found? So much can happen in a year, if they were captured I don't I will find the same people that raised me. 

Maximus sighs, "I do, but that's one of many. If there were any survivors from the destroyed dimensions, they would have more than enough cause for revenge. Finding your parents in general will be like looking for a needle in a hay stack. One thing I know for sure, they are not on earth."

I pause for a moment, to figure out my next step, or at least how to ask for it.

"I'm not letting you look for them in that place, it's dangerous Kai. I was almost killed within the first few moments of stepping through. They will not welcome anyone that does not belong there. Aside from all of that, you have never been there. It's a big place, getting lost is easy, and deadly." Maximus declares, jerking his arm from my grasp and taking a step out the door.

"If you let Grayson live, he could be my guide!" I call after him.

He whirls around, narrowing his eyes, "Did you not hear a word of what I said? He's due to snap the moment he remembers what he is! I refuse to send you into a strange and dangerous world with a ticking time bomb."

My head cocks to the side, "What he is? What's that supposed to mean?"

Before the door closes I see a blur of a figure rush towards Maximus, impacting with him as it closes. "Maximus! Max! Max!" I cry pounding on the door.

My heart pounds like it is about to burst from my chest. Someone attacked him, and there is nothing I can do.

"Computer! Open the door! Open the door!" I scream, putting my fingers in the cracks, trying to pry it open to no avail.

"Access denied girl on timeout. Go sit and think about what you've done, girl on timeout."

"Shut up dammit! Maximus is in trouble, is there no override to this system for special circumstances? He needs help." I shout at the system, hoping that for some reason a computer program would be capable of human understanding.

"Watch your mouth, girl on timeout. You are safe in the safe room."

"Aaaaaaaaaaah!" I cry kicking the door until my toes go numb.

It does not budge, standing just as strong as it did before I laid a finger on it. There's nothing I can do but wait, with the hope that he will somehow be okay. What if whoever attacked him comes after me? I have no where to go. I'm trapped in here, like a caged animal waiting for the slaughter. Unless....

Going towards the side of the room where we entered from, I look for the loose panel that would've had to move for us to fall into here. In the dim light, it's difficult to find the lines, but I manage to spot them.

Now, how do I get up there? I stand on my tip toes, not even getting within inches of it. The unfurnished room stares back at me mockingly. The chest. I can use it to stand on.

I run over to it, getting a firm grip on its sides to drag it. Despite trying my hardest, it does not budge. I walk around to the other side, deciding that maybe pushing will be easier. I lock my arms into position, my feet slip on the floor as if I'm running in place. With a growl of frustration, I turn around, pressing my back against it, using all of my strength to push the hardest I can.

Nothing.

Only then do I think to check whether it is secured to the floor or not. Squatting down on shaking legs, I trace my fingers along the bottom edges of the chest. A substance similar to cement glues it to the floor. No wonder it wouldn't budge.

There needs to be some sort of solution. I cannot just let myself stay trapped in here awaiting my demise. I stare at the chest. Though I know it is not movable, perhaps there is more to it? That button has to lead somewhere electrical. Maybe there's something underneath here.

Elsewhere. That word did something before, there could be more to it. I have to believe that. I don't want to be stuck in here to be killed or starve to death after years of waiting.

"Open to elsewhere."

"Only Maximus Hamilton has access to elsewhere. Request denied."

Okay,  it is something, but only he can open it. Unless it's just a certain vocal pattern. Oddly, one of the things I used to enjoy doing was manipulating my voice for impressions. I performed once at my school a few years book for a talent show. Though I did not win, I succeeded in creeping out the majority of my class mates, while winning the hearts of others by mimicking the principles scolding tone.

I have not tried Maximus' voice yet, besides partially when mocking disciplinary things he said when I first moved here... He took away my books,  I was mad, and got grounded from a month.

"You can do this Kai, this is the one time your stupid creepy skill is actually required." I tell myself, taking a deep breath to steel my nerves. Something slams against the door, I jump letting out a shriek. I'm running out of time.

The easiest way to get into character, or to find the voice you are choosing to imitate, is to say something you heard them say. "Did you not hear a word of what I said? He's due to snap the moment he remembers what he is! I refuse to send you into a strange and dangerous world with a ticking time bomb.... Open to elsewhere."

"Your request will be granted, master Maximus."

The chest falls into four pieces, turning around, and opening to reveal a staircase beneath.

I don't know why I didn't think of this before. With this ability I could open the door. But that would let the attacker in, what chance would I have against them? A whooshing sound from behind, causes me to freeze. The door is opening, but who will step through? Maximus or the attacker?

Staying to find out is not on my death wish list for today. I run down the stair case without looking back. 

Covered wires decorate the ceiling and the walls. I stop when the dirt floor forks in four directions. Continuing straight is the obvious course of action but....

Foot steps coming down the stairs breaks me out of my thoughts. I turn right, running the fastest I can to put distance between me and whoever is pursuing me. The hall way splits into three forks, I take the left, coming to a dead end in what looks like a repair room. My eyes immediately search for something I can use as a weapon to defend myself.

Several rolls of wires are neatly placed on the shelves, besides them are wire cutters... Those would force me too close to the attacker, and cover me in blood. The shelf below it has metal pipes and cocking. I grab a pipe, pressing my back against the side of the door way as the foot steps near my location. Closing my eyes a moment, I hold my breath, tightening my grip around my weapon of choice.

The foot falls stop just outside the door. They're scanning the room for signs that I've been in here. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll just go away. Wait, no, I need to hit them. They hurt Maximus and probably intend to do something malicious to me if they are allowed to wander the mansion. There's so many hiding places I'll never find them again. I need to stop rambling and actually do something. Oh my god, I'm so scared. I can't do this, I need to do this, I can't, I need to. I must.

Squeezing my eyes shut, I step out swinging blindly in the direction of the pursuer. The pipe impacts with a sickening crack. I swing again to be sure I incapacitate them, but find my feet leaving the floor. I open my eyes to see Grayson holding the pipe, lifting it just high enough to make me hover.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry. I didn't know it was you, are you okay? What did Maximus do to you? How'd you escape? Where's the guy that attacked him? We need to get out of here before he manages to find us, it isn't safe. I'm sorry for breaking something, I don't even know where I hit you, are you okay?" I ask, staring at his gorgeous green eyes.

He blinks, eying me blankly. "There's no one else here."

Realization hits me like a punch to the face. "Wait, you attacked him? Why?"

I look more closely at him in the dim light, his pupils are tiny pin pricks, and sweat covers his face, causing his hair to stick to his forehead. It's dark and cold, somethings wrong with him.

"Maximus tried to kill us, then he protected Vidya when she sold me."

WC: 20,621

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 93 26
A princess; a teenage girl was raised by mutants her whole life with no memory of her biological family, having been sent away from them for hers and...
Mad Temptation By KalyxIole

Mystery / Thriller

324 28 36
For years, Aubrey Evergreen. Wants to investigate who killed her parents. But years after, she believed that they were killed in a car accident. Now...
13.4K 376 22
I had to admit, he was cute. His eyes sparkled nervously and his lips were a lovely shade of natural red. He had his arms crossed over his chest, a g...
650K 20.7K 40
***This story contains mature scenes*** ------------------------------------------------------- She doesn't give up... He doesn't let go... They say...