Harm and Harmony

By BlairDarnell

#WrittenWithPride Offical Wattpad Reading List (Book One of the Harm and Harmony series) [completed/ editing]... More

-Chapter 1-
-Chapter 2-
-Chapter 3-
-Chapter 4-
-Chapter 5-
-Chapter 6-
-Chapter 7-
-Chapter 8-
-Chapter 9-
-Chapter 10-
-Chapter 11-
-Chapter 12-
-Chapter 13-
-Chapter 14-
-Chapter 15-
-Chapter 16-
-Chapter 17-
-Chapter 18-
-Chapter 19-
-Chapter 20-
-Chapter 21-
-Chapter 22-
-Chapter 23-
-Chapter 24-
-Chapter 25-
-Chapter 26-
-Chapter 27-
-Chapter 28-
-Chapter 29-
-Chapter 30-
-Chapter 31-
-Chapter 32-
-Chapter 33-
-Chapter 34-
-Chapter 35-
-Chapter 36-
-Chapter 37-
-Chapter 38-
-Chapter 39-
-Chapter 40-
-Chapter 41-
-Chapter 42-
-Chapter 43-
-Chapter 44-
-Chapter 45-
-Chapter 46-
-Chapter 47-
-Chapter 48-
-Chapter 49-
-Chapter 50-
-Chapter 51-
-Chapter 52-
-Chapter 53-
-Chapter 54-
-Chapter 55-
-Chapter 56-
-Chapter 57-
-Chapter 58-
-Chapter 59-
-Chapter 60-
-Chapter 61-
-Chapter 62-
-Chapter 63-
-Chapter 64-
-Chapter 65-
-Chapter 66-
-Chapter 67-
-Chapter 68-
-Chapter 69-
-Chapter 70-
-Chapter 71-
-Chapter 72-
-Chapter 73-
-Chapter 74-
-Chapter 75-
-Chapter 76-
-Chapter 77-
-Chapter 78-
-Chapter 79-
-Chapter 80-
-Chapter 81-
-Chapter 82-
-Chapter 83-
-Chapter 84-
-Chapter 85-
-Chapter 86-
-Chapter 87-
-Chapter 88-
-Chapter 89-
-Chapter 90-
-Chapter 91-
-Chapter 92-
-Chapter 93-
-Chapter 94-
-Chapter 95-
-Chapter 96-
-Chapter 97-
-Chapter 98-
-Chapter 99-
-Chapter 100-
-Chapter 101-
-Chapter 102-
-Chapter 103-
-Chapter 104-
-Chapter 105-
-Chapter 106-
-Chapter 107-
-Chapter 109-
-Chapter 110-
-Chapter 111-
-Chapter 112-
-Chapter 113-
-Chapter 114-
-Chapter 115-
-Chapter 116-
-Chapter 117-
-Chapter 118-
-Chapter 119-
-Chapter 120-
-Chapter 121-
-Chapter 122-
-Chapter 123-
-Chapter 124-
-Chapter 125-
Author's Note
FAQ
Updates and Changes

-Chapter 108-

1.8K 183 80
By BlairDarnell

Day: 146

Days Left: 5334

Lives Saved: 0

Calixte stayed the night at the house. After all of the stress and pain he had endured that evening, Harmony and Corinna agreed that it would be best he slept over instead of sending him outside into the dark and cold.

In the morning he thanked and apologised to both of them profusely, causing his voice to break and crack even more. The two young women assured him that it was of no inconvenience and were relieved that he had gotten better.

As the amphibian's destination was The Land of the Lost, the women suggested that they may as well walk together as Harmony was heading there also after escorting Corinna to Ivette's.

When they arrived at the trading post, the amphibian was met with shared looks of bewilderment and caution from Rin and Sumit, along with disdain from Ivette.

"This is Calixte," said Corinna nervously, presenting the amphibian before them. "He helped us at the drop-off."

Rin, Sumit, and Ivette continued to look at each other, baffled.

"Without him, I doubt I would have been able to get us that food," Corinna continued, attempting to put in a good word.

"It is a 'leasure to be acquainted with you all." Calixte bowed in such a distinguished and elegant fashion that everyone almost envisioned a nobleman before them instead of a fish-monster. "My name is Calixte." He then addressed Ivette. "I a'ologise dearly for my past transgressions. Sometimes my behaviour can be... erratic nearing a 'lood 'oon but I know that is no excuse for the damage I have caused to your renowned esta'lish'ent."

The look of disdain had vanished from Ivette's face and was replaced by one of pride and satisfaction.

"'lease..." The amphibian knelt down one knee. "I wish to fix-" Calixte clutched his throat as he wheezed, collapsing into a coughing fit. Corinna and Harmony rushed to his side. After a moment, he stopped and reassured them that he was fine.

"We'd best be off," said Harmony. She hugged Corinna and waved goodbye to everyone else as she headed to the Land of the Lost with Calixte.

Rin, Sumit, and Ivette shared one last look of bewilderment before returning to their jobs.

*

"What is it dat you are looking for?" asked Calixte as he watched Harmony scavenge through the piles of objects at the Land of the Lost.

Harmony hesitated to answer. She was searching for scuba gear, but she feared that if she said anything related to water, it would upset him. "Something to help me get my mask back," she replied. "Need it to escape."

"I see..."

After being unsuccessful in her hunt, Harmony decided to move to a new area. She turned a corner and gasped in horror, now face-to-face with her mortal enemy: The Piano.

She circled around it, head raised to assert dominance. It seemed that someone had repaired the piano. It had become stronger since they had last met. But so had Harmony.

"Ah, is it not 'eautiful?" Calixte ran his webbed hand over the smooth surface of the piano. "I have been fixing it, my own little 'roject. Dere are still a few keys 'issing, but it is now in tune."

Harmony couldn't believe it. She had thought that her relationship with Calixte had evolved from mildly-hostile prison inmates to casual acquaintances. But now that she knew that he had helped her worst enemy, she felt betrayed.

Noticing the malevolent look on Harmony as she eyed the instrument, Calixte asked, "I take it that you are not overly fond of 'ianos, 'iss Har'ony?"
"Just not fond of this one." Harmony scowled at it. She pointed to the opening and closing portals above the Land of the Lost. "I once tried to escape through one of those. Almost did... until this thing crashed into me!"

"That is indeed un'ortunate," said Calixte sympathetically. "But you can always try again in a 'onth."

"In a month? What do you mean?"

"I assumed that was why you tried when you did. Every four 'onths, on the same date and time, there is a 'ortal that opens a'ove the Land of the Lost that is 'igger than usual. It only stays open for a few seconds longer than the others, but that is enough time to escape if you 'lan accordingly."

"It happens regularly! Not random?" Harmony laughed. "I thought I just got lucky that time. Thought it was just an abnormal portal or there was some fault-"

"You mean to tell me you were 'lanning on escaping through one of those!" Calixte pointed at the numerous portals that opened and closed within a fraction of a second, horrified.

"I got... desperate," Harmony mumbled, staring down at the ground. "How come you've never tried escaping then if you knew about that portal?"

"I have 'een down here for a long time." Calixte caressed the piano keys and began playing a quiet and soft melody. "A very long time." He gazed up at Harmony. "There is nothing for me up there."

"Is there anything for you down here?"

Calixte did not respond but continued playing his tune on the piano.

"There's sunlight... up there. And food- proper food. You won't have to fight for it."

"If I go up there, they will take my 'ask away." Calixte stopped playing. "I will die instantly without it."

"But what about when that's all healed? You'll want to escape then, right?"

"'erhaps..." Calixte resumed playing his simple melody. "But that is far in the future."

There was a long moment where both of them did not speak. Harmony rested her arms and head on the top of the piano, listening to Calixte's music. She eventually found a chair for him to sit on.

"You think you were a musician in your old life?" asked Harmony.

"I was," answered the amphibian with a glint in his eye. "I was a teacher."

"Oh, cool. I think I might have been a dancer, at least I hope so."

"What kind of dance?"

"Mostly charleston and swing. They're the ones I'm best at. But I also do a bit of tap and ballet."

Calixte paused in thought, then played a piece of swing music on the piano. Even with his webbed hands, his fingers bounced up and down the keys with little difficulty.

Harmony tapped her foot along with the beat. "Hey!" She beamed. "When we're free we could perform together. You play the piano, and I'll dance."

"I like the sound of dat," said Calixte.

When it grew late, Harmony prepared to go back to Ivette's and pick up Corinna. Calixte retrieved a packet of food and handed it to Harmony, repaying her for the dinner from last night.

"Oh, you don't need to..." Harmony began, but it was too late, the amphibian had already left her side and was diving into a pile of discarded objects, nestling into it.

"Good night!" he called out. "Fank you again!"

"You aren't planning on sleeping there, are you?"

"I always sleep here." Calixte shrugged.

Harmony clutched her arm tightly, remembering the time before Corinna. Though she was alone, at least she had a house to stay in. She knew Calixte's mask fell off for a reason. It was the same reason why Harmony had managed to regain her voice. She had finally admitted that she didn't want to be lonely ever again. She wanted to talk to someone.

*

Corinna, and everyone else, was surprised to see Harmony turn up to collect her from Ivette's with Calixte still at her side.

"I think maybe he should stay another night or two," Harmony explained to Corinna. "To make sure he's... recovered.

A slight smile appeared on Corinna's face. "Oh?"

"Yeah," said Harmony. "And I think he'll be useful to have around, you know, like at drop-offs. Just as you keep saying, we wouldn't have gotten any food with him."

Corinna's smile turned into a smug grin. "What was that you said about feeding stray cats?"

"Oh shut up," Harmony grumbled, embarrassed, which made Corinna giggle even more.

The two young women returned back to the house along with their new housemate.  

-------------------------------

I'm still trying to work out how to write Calixte's dialogue to show how he talks.

If he is too difficult to understand, please tell me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

72.5K 7.4K 74
(Book Two of the Harm and Harmony Series) Status: Completed It has been half a year since Corinna Warren had first arrived in the Eternal Abyss and n...
34.3K 2.6K 34
2023 December Book of the Month @CupidOnTour @WattpadSeries General Fiction Feature JUNE 2023 @HistoricalFiction 'Rise of Civilization' Reading List...
209K 9.2K 40
(Book Two) My name is...well you know my name and I think I'm gay. No, I'm sure of it. I'm in love with my best friend. She is wild, reckless, and th...
6.7K 388 25
Suddenly I turned around. And I shouted loudly. Mr. Devil is standing there staring at me and narrowing his eyebrows. What the hell he is doing. I'...