Conqueror | Choi Yeonjun

By parsimonyyy

"Why do I have to find an Empress if I can do handle it by myself?" For the nineteen girls, they have to take... More

𝐂 𝐎 𝐍 𝐐 𝐔 𝐄 𝐑 𝐎 𝐑
𝐂 𝐎 𝐍 𝐐 𝐔 𝐄 𝐒 𝐓 𝐒
Pʀᴏʟᴇɢᴏᴍᴇɴᴏɴ
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 1
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 3
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 4
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 5
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 6
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 7
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 8
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 9
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 10
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 11
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 12
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 13
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 14
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 15
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 16
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 17
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 18
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 19
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 20
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 21
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 22
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 23
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 24
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 25
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 26
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 27
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 28
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 29
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 30
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 31
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 32
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 33
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 34
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 35
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 36
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 37
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 38
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 39
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 40
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 41
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 42
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 43
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 44
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 45
Dᴇɴᴏᴜᴇᴍᴇɴᴛ
Aᴄᴋɴᴏᴡʟᴇᴅɢᴇᴍᴇɴᴛ

Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 2

412 28 3
By parsimonyyy

Ryujin's POV

Gwanghwamun Gate, Joseon
October 8, 1744

Bᴇғᴏʀᴇ ᴛʜᴇ sᴜɴ displayed its warm golden rays. I was already up and ready to embark on China to settle a compromise with Emperor Yeonjun. Yuna was handling my clothes, ornaments, and cosmetics for the 5-day journey to China.

Unfortunately, I can't bring my bow and dagger since its inappropriate for a Princess to bring weaponry because of royal guards and eunuchs was trained to protect the Royal Family of Joseon. Also, Yuna said "etiquette-wise". I rolled my eyes hearing that. I'll miss my babies—my weapons.

As always Gwanghwamun Gate looks marvelous, metal stands on the side with a fire crackling on top of it. The gate gives you the feel of nobility, sandalwood painted with red, the black-tiled roof complimented the gate's look.

I was waiting for my palanquin at the foot of the stairs, my outfit was way too scintillating just to escort and settle a compromise even my handmaid, Yuna was surprised when I told her to dress me up like this. Well, I have to make my scheme work; I can't afford to fail my scheme right off-the-bat. I was too occupied with my thoughts when I heard whispers in front of me.

Glancing over, where the whispers originated, I saw women lined-up in ten lines perfectly each of the lines consist of 20 women. All of them wore worn-out clothes holes patched-up with a different color cloth. Their hair was disheveled and their faces were dirty. The same goes for the men, the royal guards are struggling to organize them. One guard was screaming orders, the other others were nudging the men who weren't lining properly.

"You, go to that line."

"Fix your line or else I'll hit you with this staff! "

I wasn't surprised even though our kingdom is well-off compared to the other kingdoms. We still have immigrants from other kingdoms who failed to pay the taxes, and we're forced into slavery. Law-breakers also we're punished to be slaves while others who committed treason or homicide were sentenced to death. I heard them whispering.

"We will suffer in China as palace maids. I heard the Chinese staff discriminates against the Korean staff. " A woman with a round face quickly whispered to the woman in front of her.

"Oh, I also heard the Emperor doesn't have any women in his Imperial Harem. If he might take a liking of you then you'll be living in luxury" The woman looked hopeful.

"I can see hope, I should try bootlicking the Emperor so I can be a consort or a concubine. Well, I presume I won't need that he might like my beauty right? " A girl that has rosy cheeks smiled proudly. The other women nodded their heads, complimenting her visuals.

As I heard that last statement, I smirked and crossed my arms. They should avoid doing that as I heard from Yuna the Emperor secretly despise women in his palace except for the Empress Dowager. This woman with rosy cheeks looks decent, I think she's from a fallen noble family from the other kingdom that migrated here hoping to start anew. I hope she won't proceed with her plan because once she will her life is in danger.

I saw Yuna coming toward me and I grinned at her, "Your Highness, your carriage is ready you should get inside, and wait inside the palanquin while the guards settle the slaves, "

I complied with her request since I've been garnering attention from the women slaves because of my flashy outfit.

My palanquin was made of sandalwood the base itself is carved with intricate details of flowers and spiritual animals, it was simple yet it has a sense of grandeur. The interior is very comfortable for long-run-journey. It has a cushion for me to sit for the journey at the side of the palanquin two adjacent windows are present for me to open if ever I'll feel packed inside. For the palanquin to work 8 servants are required to lift it 4 at the front, and 4 at the back.

Thanking the heavens for giving me such a loving father, since I can't stand cramped places. I entered the palanquin and opened the right window, so I can talk with my handmade since only officials, nobles, and the royal family members are allowed to ride this.

"Pst, Yuna, when do we depart?" I whispered at her.

She looked over and said, "After the guards settle the slaves in the back, Your Highness." and bowed.

I nodded. "Yuna, do you know her?" I said while pointing at the girl who was planning to seduce the Emperor of China.

Yuna nodded her head. "Yes, Your Highness. She's from a fallen noble family from our neighboring kingdom. Well, they were doing well in Joseon. But her father got addicted to gambling. She was sold to be a courtesan, but His Majesty bought here to become a servant in China. Quite pitiful."

"I see. She has the looks, though." I mumbled.

She looked at me and whispered, "Your Highness, I've been meaning to ask this. Why are you wearing such an eye-catching outfit?"

I gulped. I can't let her know about my plan before we depart she might spoil my plan by tattling to my father. I don't want to marry the rich Chinese man, I didn't even know his face, and name. I came up with an excuse, "I just felt like it. Also, I need to be elegant and proper in front of Emperor Yeonjun."

Good thing she brought the excuse I made up by nodding her head. She excused herself since there's a commotion in the back. I breathed in relief. I grab my mirror given by my brother-in-law as his dowry. I tidied up to pass time.

We departed when the sun's warm golden rays touched the palace and city's black-tiled roofs. I opened the palanquin's window to marvel Joseon's capital city Hanyang. Livestock locked in wooden cages to be sold in the plaza. A farmer dragging his wooden cart that is full of hay. Peddlers carrying colorful bundles full of goods.

The envoy consisted of 100 royal guards in the front for safety reasons, and another 100 in the middle and at the back. My palanquin is guarded heavily, and Yuna and my attendants were at the side of my palanquin windows. The slaves were also guarded to prevent them from escaping, and merchants tagged along to trade their goods for silk and tea from China.

Yuna knocked on the palanquin's wall to catch my attention. "Your Highness, the head of the royal guard ordered for you to close the windows to avoid easy assassination."

I nodded at her and ordered her to knock if were gonna stop our journey to take a break. I closed the window and darkness engulfed me. I regulated my breathing and decided to solidify my plan to win the heart of Emperor Yeonjun.

_______________________

Choamdong Plains, Korea
October 8, 1744

_______________________

What felt like years inside the dark-cold palanquin I heard Yuna's soft knocking. Immediately, opened the window, of course, in a graceful way since I need to act like a princess. My smile was radiating like *Samjoko's rays.

"Your Highness, the royal guards decided to stop our journey since it's already afternoon, and they need to set-up the tents before dusk." Yuna ushered me to venture out from the palanquin I've been staying for hours.

I squinted my eyes to adapt to the sudden light. As I recovered, I noticed we're in a massive plain that stretched acres of lands. Tall-brown grass dancing due to cold October air. My attendant draped a coat made of wolf-skin to protect my delicate skin from the harsh cold air.

"Your Highness, the servants already prepared you lunch since you haven't eaten yet." My attendant said and led us to a clearing where the encampment is.

Rows of circular-white tents lined up around the clearing and a firepit in the middle of it to provide warmth to slaves that were still waiting for their tents to be set-up. My attendant led us to a tent not too different from the other tents aside from the Joseon Kingdom flag hanging in front of the tent and Royal Guards standing firm around the tent.

Yuna went first to lift the cloth serving as a door. When I went inside I saw my trinket box, cosmetic box, and clothes neatly placed on the of the other. A bed made of sandalwood and furnished with linen blanket and pillow which good for an encampment. I saw the lunch served on the table in the middle of the tent piping hot.

It was a simple lunch. A bowl of rice, a soup, and side dishes good thing I'm not a picky eater, unlike my 2nd sister. Eating the lunch felt like Its been ages since I've eaten, but I didn't eat like an uneducated barbarian.

After eating my lunch, Yuna was supposed to help my two other attendants; I called her to follow me outside to take a breather. I saw the slaves eating their lunch heartily even though it's already evening. Royal Guards patrolling around the encampment, the firepit in the middle of the camp was giving me a pleasant feeling looking at it. I saw the moon in its glory giving a faint white light. I sighed and I saw the condensation of my breath since winter is around the corner.

I was ready to conquer the magnanimous Emperor's Yeonjun ice-like heart as the saying goes. I saw Yuna looking that says 'why do you look distressed?' I shook my head at her and mouthed 'I'm fine.' she quickly regained her usual look. Occupied with my thoughts, I forgot that I was still in the middle of the encampment looking upwards to the moon.

_______________________

Mt. Yijiaping, Beijing
October 12, 1744

_______________________

Good thing, I opened my palanquin's window the Korean envoy is moving at a slower pace since we're almost at the Imperial City. The mountain is overlooking at the Imperial City showing its prosperity, divinity, and nobility to merchants traveling. I was in awe with the size of the city our kingdom can't compare to this major power. It enlightened me to capture the Emperor's heart more.

I saw different faunas and floras that I haven't seen in Juknokwon Forest. I really wanted to hunt animals and collect these herbs and spices, but I can't since I don't have my weapons and I'm not allowed to do that improper action as stated in the 'Royal Family Etiquette' book.

When we arrived at the foot of the mountain the crowd welcomed our envoy warmly. Streets filled with stalls selling ornaments, cosmetics, and clothes for commoners. Courtesan houses as always full of old-rich men. The road is paved with stones that fit perfectly each piece showing the city's prosperity.

I went down the palanquin as graceful as I can. I was shocked for a moment when I saw the main gate. It was humungous! A two-story building was built on top of the main arch of the gate, at the top of the gate was a walkway for guards to change patrol calls. Royal Guards stationed at the said walkway holding spears. A high-ranking staff wearing dark green hanfu with a badge attached to her right collar sleeve welcomed me and my attendants.

"Are you the representative for Joseon?" She asked warmly.

"Yes, I am the representative for Joseon. 3rd Princess of Joseon Lee Ryujin." I lowered my head to show respect.

"Oh, Your Highness, please forgive me for not respecting you." She looked startled by my position.

"Oh, It's fine It was my fault for not telling you," I smiled with grace, and I saw her eyes flicker with astonishment.

"Welcome to Forbidden City, I'm Gu Ning I oversee the Six Bureaus of palace assistants. Your Highness, Are these your attendants? If so please chose one to assist you throughout your stay as a contestant for the selection," She beckoned the assistants at her back. "Your Highness, please let your chosen attendant wear these servant clothes to indicate she's not part of the Imperial Bureaus,"

I turned around and told the other two attendants, "Don't tell this to father, tell him I'm still working for a compromise or else both of you will lose your jobs," I threatened them. They nodded and walk back to the envoy to tell the news to the head of the royal guards.

"Alright, Your Highness, follow me. Girls show Her Highness' attendant where to change," She ordered the girls at back.

"Yes, Miss Gu," They replied.

I followed Gu Ning inside the palace before entering I looked back and saw Yuna's eyes in huge circles she mouthed

'Your Highness, What's the meaning of this?'

_______________________

Footnote:

[¹ Samjoko - is a creature found in various mythologies and arts of East Asia. The ancient Koreans believed that it represents the sun. ]

© All Rights Reserved

-DFL

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

167K 8.1K 52
ငယ်ငယ်ကတည်းက ရင့်ကျက်ပြီး အတန်းခေါင်းဆောင်အမြဲလုပ်ရတဲ့ ကောင်လေး ကျော်နေမင်း ခြူခြာလွန်းလို့ ကျော်နေမင်းက ပိုးဟပ်ဖြူလို့ နာမည်ပေးခံရတဲ့ ကောင်မလေး နေခြ...
45.1K 2.6K 54
[ᴡᴇʀᴇᴡᴏʟꜰ ᴀᴜ] Choi Soobin Fanfiction All I could feel was him. He whispers. "What do you think?" And then he kisses me. His lips were softer than a...
253K 10.6K 56
HIGHEST RANKING [for five consecutive months hehe] : #1 - kwonsoonyoung She's afraid to fall in love. He's gravely allergic to girls.
3.3M 79.8K 141
Soon to be Published under GSM Darlene isn't a typical high school student. She always gets in trouble in her previous School in her grandmother's pr...