Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 2

Ryujin's POV

Ryujin's POV

Gwanghwamun Gate, Joseon
October 8, 1744

Bᴇғᴏʀᴇ ᴛʜᴇ sᴜɴ displayed its warm golden rays. I was already up and ready to embark on China to settle a compromise with Emperor Yeonjun. Yuna was handling my clothes, ornaments, and cosmetics for the 5-day journey to China.

Unfortunately, I can't bring my bow and dagger since its inappropriate for a Princess to bring weaponry because of royal guards and eunuchs was trained to protect the Royal Family of Joseon. Also, Yuna said "etiquette-wise". I rolled my eyes hearing that. I'll miss my babies—my weapons.

As always Gwanghwamun Gate looks marvelous, metal stands on the side with a fire crackling on top of it. The gate gives you the feel of nobility, sandalwood painted with red, the black-tiled roof complimented the gate's look.

I was waiting for my palanquin at the foot of the stairs, my outfit was way too scintillating just to escort and settle a compromise even my handmaid, Yuna was surprised when I told her to dress me up like this. Well, I have to make my scheme work; I can't afford to fail my scheme right off-the-bat. I was too occupied with my thoughts when I heard whispers in front of me.

Glancing over, where the whispers originated, I saw women lined-up in ten lines perfectly each of the lines consist of 20 women. All of them wore worn-out clothes holes patched-up with a different color cloth. Their hair was disheveled and their faces were dirty. The same goes for the men, the royal guards are struggling to organize them. One guard was screaming orders, the other others were nudging the men who weren't lining properly.

"You, go to that line."

"Fix your line or else I'll hit you with this staff! "

I wasn't surprised even though our kingdom is well-off compared to the other kingdoms. We still have immigrants from other kingdoms who failed to pay the taxes, and we're forced into slavery. Law-breakers also we're punished to be slaves while others who committed treason or homicide were sentenced to death. I heard them whispering.

"We will suffer in China as palace maids. I heard the Chinese staff discriminates against the Korean staff. " A woman with a round face quickly whispered to the woman in front of her.

"Oh, I also heard the Emperor doesn't have any women in his Imperial Harem. If he might take a liking of you then you'll be living in luxury" The woman looked hopeful.

"I can see hope, I should try bootlicking the Emperor so I can be a consort or a concubine. Well, I presume I won't need that he might like my beauty right? " A girl that has rosy cheeks smiled proudly. The other women nodded their heads, complimenting her visuals.

As I heard that last statement, I smirked and crossed my arms. They should avoid doing that as I heard from Yuna the Emperor secretly despise women in his palace except for the Empress Dowager. This woman with rosy cheeks looks decent, I think she's from a fallen noble family from the other kingdom that migrated here hoping to start anew. I hope she won't proceed with her plan because once she will her life is in danger.