Something About The Sunshine

By PoeticPhantom101

Leah Rhodes thought Jordan Hayes was suppose to be her perfect man, attractive, smart, funny, most of all... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven

Chapter Five

741 36 8
By PoeticPhantom101

"You think you gotta keep me iced (You don't)

You think I'm gonna spend your cash (I won't)

Even if you were broke

My love don't cost a thing

Think I wanna drive your Benz (I don't)

If I wanna floss I got my own

Even if you were broke

My love don't cost a thing," I sang loudly as I cleaned off the counters in the kitchen.

I swayed my hips to the beat of the song wearing a pair of low black sweats, a white sports bra and a pair of socks with Donald Duck on them. My hair was also flowing nicely since I had spent most of the morning doing a deep condition, blow drying it, and straightening it. Now I had it just straight down with a black bandana around my head to keep my baby hairs down and my scalp moisturized.

No offense to to either of them but with Beck and Kyra out of the apartment for the day I was finally able to relax and get some chores done.

Room cleaned and organized, check.

Laundry, check.

Bathroom cleaned, check.

Living room dusted, swept, and cleaned, also check.

All of these were a huge accomplishment and I was definitely thinking about treating myself to Carina's Cafe and Collection as a pat on the back.

But for now, I was very content with just cleaning while listening to my R&B playlist on Spotify. With no one around and the music turned up I felt alive in my own little way. I was free to sing and dance around the house and that was a kind of freedom you sometimes take for granted. Jordan use to hate when I listened to music and sang while cleaning. He only loved it when he'd practically order me to sing in front of his colleagues when he hosted a dinner at our place. He made me feel like a little show bunny and I never really sung around him after that.

But this past month I've been feeling so much more happier and energized, and though I hated it I knew it was partlybecause of Grayson.

In the midst of remembering my past with Jordan, singing, shaking my ass and hips to Jennifer Lopez, and wiping off the island counter I must not have heard the door open because next thing I knew an arm went around my waist. In panic mode I had yanked the arm from around me and flipped the intruder onto their back before sitting on their stomach with my forearm against their throat.

Despite being surprised in the moment, I was even more surprised when I noticed I was looking into a pair of familiar blue eyes.

"Grayson", I asked confused as I watched his face as it went from surprised to cocky as a smirk settled onto his face.

"You know my masculinity is a little bruised from this take down... my back probably is too, but it's worth having you on top. I do always love when a woman takes charge", he winked as his hands moved from my thighs to my wrists and next thing I knew he had rolled us over and was now on top of me.

"Because it prompts me to take it right back".

Okay... that was sexy.

Nope, clear your head Lee.

It was proving to be difficult though with his hands holding my wrists to the floor above my head and his warm body between my legs. It was even harder when I thought how easy it would be to just give in and wrap my legs around his waist to pull him closer to me. I could imagine his chest flush against mine and the feel of his body weight on me. I could... but I shouldn't... and I wouldn't.

"Grayson be serious, what the hell were you thinking just walking into my apartment? I could've seriously hurt you", I sighed trying to stay annoyed with him.

"I kept ringing the doorbell for at least 5 minutes, and though I'm sure I could've stayed outside just listening to your angelic voice for hours, you know how giddy I get to see my little goddess' face", he explained as his eyes once again looked down over my outfit.

As he let his pretty blue orbs take in my attire and position, I watched as he bit the corner of his lip like he was trying to hold something in. But it didn't work because once he let go of his bottom lip a soft groan left his lips.

But then he shook his head and looked back up to my face with his eye now cleared of any lust or sexual desire.

Because both of us knew no matter how much sexual desire sparked between us, it would be a very bad idea to act on it. A friendship with Grayson I could do, but a relationship? It would end badly within months...right?

"By the way if this is what girls wear when they clean, we can just go ahead and burn the traditional maid outfits", he winked playfully. I groaned in annoyance while slipping my wrists out of his hold and pushing him off of me so I could sit up.

"Seriously Gray don't you have a club to maintain or a super model to hook up with", I asked as I watched him get up as well and dust off his navy blue t-shirt and dark jeans. My eyes caught sight of his tattoos again and I once again tried to remember to ask him about them one day.

"I would but she just pushed me off of her, besides she'd be so much more than a hookup. Also she keeps turning me down every time I offer to take her out. Any other guy would've given up but I think you'll find that I'm quite persistent".

I gave him a pointed look and I think he got the memo.

"My clubs run smooth enough not to have to do paperwork every single day. And the paper work I did have today is already finished. So I actually don't have to be at work until the late afternoon. All I have left is a meeting or two with my father and older brother anyways", Grayson explained.

That's right, sometimes I forget that not only does Grayson have four siblings, but that he is only the second oldest and as such has an older brother.

"Tell me more about your siblings, what are they like", I asked as I leaned against the island counter. And just like that Grayson's eyes lit up with the love he had for his brothers and sisters.

"My brother Kaden is the oldest at 28. He's always been the intense, protective leader of the Hart kids, but nowadays deep down he's a giant teddy bear. Any fight I was in at school, he always had my back in. He'll try and deny it now but him and I are the reason the Hart kids have a reputation at the schools. I'm pretty sure that by my sophomore year the principal had our parents' numbers on speed dial. Then there's me, the 25 year old handsome devil you've come to know and love", Grayson said, introducing himself with a bow and a wink.

I couldn't help but giggle a little at his antics but I let him continue.

"Then there are the twins, August and Aurora who are both 17. August is quite the comedic rebel but also a trouble maker like I use to be, Aurora can be a bit of a trouble maker too but Aurora is also sweet, popular and will most likely be a shoe in for prom queen. Though they don't like anyone knowing, they have a soft spot for each other that you can really only have with someone you shared a womb with. Then finally we have Evangeline who is 7. As the baby she's always been seen as a little angel. But also because the rest of us helped raise her, she tends to act like all of us in a way", Grayson finished.

I loved that despite so many kids living in the same house hold, they all had such distinct personalities. Luke and I are four years apart yet were asked if we were twins even as adults because we act so similar.

"They seem great, I'd love to meet them one day", I smiled kindly.

"Leah Rhodes, are you asking me to take you home to meet my family", Grayson asked with his signature smirk as he stepped closer to me.

My eyes nearly bulge out of my head and I felt my cheeks heat up in embarrassment.

"T-That's not w-what I meant G-Grayson", I stuttered as he bit his lip.

"I'm just playing little goddess, or at least mostly. Anyways what did you want to do? Kick back and watch a movie? Go do lunch somewhere", Grayson asked as he walked to the couch and sat down.

I was going to say just stay here and watch a movie but then I remembered what I had hoped to do after I finished cleaning.

"Grayson how do you feel about books", I asked smirking at him.

————

"You were definitely one of those kids who ate their lunch in the library weren't you little goddess", Grayson asked with a knowing smirk as he watched me as my eyes scanned the book shelves of Carina's Cafe.

"Only every now and then. Why? Were you the kid who would've bullied me for it", I asked with my eyebrows raised in question, daring him to say yes.

"I'll have you know even in my bad boy days I never bullied. I only beat the shit out of people who deserved it", he answered proudly making me laugh softly.

We were walking down the sections of books with coffees in hand and me occasionally taking a bite of my blueberry muffin.

But then I found it. The books series I had seen reviews for online. I more sexual and modern telling of Persephone and Hades.
I picked up the first two books and mentally promised myself to come back for the third one later.

"What are those books about", Grayson asked as he looked over my shoulder. I could feel the heat of his chest against my back but stayed calm as best as I could. This guy really shouldn't have this effect on me. I hated that he did.

"It's a retelling of the story of Persephone and Hades. I read that it's really good", I explained.

"So you don't read those women erotica books with men riding horses on the beach at sunset on the cover", Grayson asked.

"No but I do read a few erotic books", I said before winking at him jokingly.

Grayson laughed at my reaction with a twinkle in his eyes that caught me off guard for a second.

"Guess you'll have to read me a couple of chapters from those one day", he whispered, his breath hot on the shell of my ear.

Grayson then grabbed the books from my hands and with his other hand he grabbed my own and lead back the way we came and towards the front desk.

I tried to pay for my books but Grayson took my card out of my hands and paid for them instead. And when I told him I'd pay him back he merely rolled his eyes with a faint smile.

Afterwards we sat in the cafe across from each other as I began to read the first book.

"Grayson I feel like you're bored, we can leave if you want", I reminded him for the 3rd time as I glanced over the top of my book to look at him.

"I keep telling you little goddess, you just sit there and look beautiful as you read and I'll keep looking over my emails", he replied as he winked at me.

Why wouldn't he just admit he's bored? Why was he being so difficult? No one wants to hang out with someone while they're reading. It's not that I didn't like him being around, in fact him being here was almost calming. But there was another part of me that was so busy worrying about him being bored that it was hard to concentrate on the book itself. I had to resist the urge to keep looking up every five seconds.

"Its okay to admit you're bored Grayson, I won't be offended. You can just drop me off back at my place", I tried again as I placed my book on the table.

Suddenly Grayson grabbed my hand and held it firmly as he held eye contact with me.

"I'm not bored at all Leah. Do you know how many people always want attention? The amount of people who beg for it on a daily basis? This right here, just being able to enjoy someone's presence, this has been the best part of my entire day. Being able to read and reply to emails and then look up to see you sitting there with those dark brown eyes reading over those pages as the sun reflects off your skin, it's been amazing to say the least little goddess", Grayson explained.

"Thanks... for enjoying my presence. No one's ever said that before", I mumbled as I nervously looked away and tucked a strand of my hair behind me ear.

Grayson nodded with a small smile and went back to his phone as I flipped the book over and left it laid on the table as I continued reading.

"... I enjoy your presence as well Grayson", I added with a small smirk as I kept my eyes on the page. It was a smirk that only grew bigger when Grayson looked up at me looking a bit surprised before chuckling and getting back to his emails.

And even though we weren't holding hands anymore, his hand was still on mine as he rubbed the pad of his thumb over the top of my hand.

But the small moment we shared didn't last very long.

My phone began to ring and I was surprised to see it was my cousin Talia. Talia was Tara's little sister.

You know, Tara who decided it was okay to ruin my wedding and admit to having an affair with my ex fiance.

Talia and I always got along better than Tara and I did, even though she was younger than me. I had heard she was taking her older sister's betrayal to me pretty hard as well. But I hadn't talked to Talia since I moved, so I knew if she was calling it must've been important.

"Hey Tali, what's up", I asked as Grayson looked up from his phone.

"I need you to come pick me up Lee", She replied. I could hear a lot of people in the background of the call and wondered if she had snuck off to a concert or something. She was known for having rebellious ways.

"Tali I'm in Los Angeles, it would take me at least 4 hours to get to Seattle", I explained.

"Actually a flight from one city to the other is only about 2 and a half hours", she replied with a nervous tinge in her voice.

There is no way Talia would know that off the top of her head. And why would she sound nervous? She knows she can talk to me about anything.

Wait..

"Talia Renee please tell me you didn't", I sighed as I looked up at Grayson who now looked very confused.

"I could but that would be a lie. I'll explain myself and give you a big hug when you come pick me up from L.A.X", Talia asked and I could picture the nervous wide smile on her face right now.

"It better be one hell of a hug and explanation. I'm on my way Tali", I said before hanging up the phone.

"You okay Leah", Grayson asked as I raked my fingers through my hair.

"No, my 18 year old cousin just informed me that shes at L.A.X and needs me to pick her up", I groaned.

"Can you drop me off home so I can get in my car and go get her", I asked as I gathered my things and stood up from the booth. Grayson did the same as well.

"Nope", he said popping the 'p'.

"You won't?"

"Nope, I'll be taking you to L.A.X myself. So let's go so your cousin isn't there for too long. Everyone knows that airport isn't safe after 5", Grayson explained with a small smile.

I smiled back and felt tension leave my body due to how easy going he was. A flash of his smile, a look into those blue eyes, and a witty comment and suddenly I felt like things would be okay.

"Let's go get your cousin mia piccola dea".

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 105 24
"You guys I had the most epic night," I say as I take my seat, sipping from my bottle of coke and then I glance round the table and I see him, I almo...
612 248 21
Allison Monroe, a passionate college student of a Pre-Law course in University of the Philippines Diliman, come to believe that destiny no longer exi...
114K 5.7K 33
Finding Happiness Spinoff - Jordan (Cole's best friend) My past haunts me. I don't do relationships because of it. I hook up, one night no feelings...