The Debt Collectors War

By TessMackenzie

Ellie is a soldier in a world without governments. A generation ago, a series of financial crises caused most... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
[This is an Ad]

Chapter 89

925 52 7
By TessMackenzie

Ellie looked at Terry for a moment. “So assuming I believe that, do you know when things will happen?”

Terry hesitated. He didn’t answer. It almost seemed to Ellie as though he might be having second thoughts.

“Co-operating, remember?” Ellie said. She put her tablet away and took out her sidearm. She didn’t point it at him, but it was a threat.

Terry looked at the gun, then said, “I was told he needed to be in Los Angeles by Friday next week. And to pass that up the line with him.”

“The line?”

“The railroad’s line. To pass it to my contact.”

“You only have one?” Ellie said, surprised.

“Well… two. One east and one west.”

Ellie thought about that. “Oh. Because the railroad is like links in a chain and you only know one contact person each way. And you only pass messages to that one person, which they then pass it on to someone else. So you each only know two other people? Basically?”

Terry nodded.

“Of course,” Ellie said. “Because operational security. Again.”

Terry didn’t answer.

Ellie thought. That structure made sense, for the railroad. Having their internal connections and command structure as a series of single links, one cell to the next, not as an overall web or top-down hierarchy, that gave them a great deal more flexibility and security. It made sense, and it might actually be useful intel for Ellie to have discovered, too. She wasn’t sure if this detail was already known. It hadn’t been mentioned in her briefing files, anyway, so even if it was already suspected, it was probably useful information to have confirmed.

She thought about networks and information and links of individual contacts. It was a good, sensible system for the debt resisters to use, and fairly secure. Unfortunately, it also made her job more complicated, since she couldn’t just hit Terry until he told her the name of the overall commander, if there even was one.

Which was entirely the point.

“You really don’t know anything?” Ellie said.

Terry shook his head.

“But you’re the leader….” Ellie said, and then stopped, realizing. Actually, Terry wasn’t. Terry was just a subordinate or friend of the old leader, who was now dead, and that man might well have known more. Terry, though, he was no-one important, no-one who would be trusted with valuable intel. And as well, this group was a first-contact point, and so had to be dispensable. They couldn’t be told anything that needed to be kept secure.

Ellie was annoyed with herself. She should have realized all this sooner.

She tried to make the best of it.

“You sent the kid straight to Los Angeles?” she said, hopefully. “To a contact there? Someone whose name you do know?”

Terry nodded.

“You didn’t pass him through a whole lot of other groups like this one?”

“No. He went on a bus to California.”

“With the name of a contact?”

Terry looked cautious, but nodded.

Ellie thought. She looked at Terry for a moment, and decided he was telling the truth. She felt like he was, anyway, and when she glanced back at Sameh, who was still holding a tablet with a lie-detector app, Sameh nodded.

“Okay,” Ellie said. “I believe you. Thank you.”

Terry seemed relieved.

“So tell me everything you know about the contact person in Los Angeles. Or people. Locations and names and recognition signals and all the rest.”

Terry hesitated again. He glanced around at the rest of the group.

“Now,” Ellie said, and raised her gun.

Terry swallowed, but didn’t answer. He was probably about to start being difficult, Ellie thought. She looked up at the drone, deliberately. Then she looked at the bunker building full of the militia’s families.

Terry understood. He looked resigned, then said, “There’s a bar. You go in and ask for someone by name. The name is a code.”

Ellie nodded. Just a name. That made sense too. It was effective, but simple, so simple no-one would mess it up, even scared and hurt and panicking.

“That’s all?” she said. “There’s no double-checks, no secret signals along with it, like wearing a red shirt or having a hat or something?”

Terry shook his head.

“If I go there,” Ellie said. “And it turns out you lied to me, someone will come here for you. You understand that?”

“I understand.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

823 460 40
I've never been able to taste fear before, but I do now, it lingers in the air. Like a flame. Kindled by the president, fed by the citizens, and I'm...
355 23 17
# I will stop publishing my story on wattpad because I'm worried about plagiarism. The world has been destroyed. All that remains is the Ark, and in...
7.6K 178 16
Started~ Nov 12 2021 Finished~ Dystopia: an imagined state or society in which there is great suffering or injustice, typically one that is totalita...
51 2 22
[WATTYS 2018 Longlist] For fans of The Atlantis Gene, The Hunger Games, and Red Rising, this high-suspense, action-filled, sci-fi novel continues the...