Stay

By jhildey

Evie Jones was seemingly in tact. Her life was a representation of perfection. Niall Horan was seemingly self... More

Prologue
1
2
3
4
5
6
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
Authors Note - #BellLetsTalk
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
AN- TUMBLR
48
49
50
51
52
53
EPILOGUE
STAY - TUMBLR DRABBLE COLLECTION
Stay - EDITED NOVEL

7

75.3K 2.7K 1.5K
By jhildey

EVIE 

Cold air hits my face, biting at my cheeks. Violent shivers course down my back, my teeth chattering slightly. The grass is damp against my bare legs as I continue to stretch out my tired limbs. Day four of my 6 AM morning jogs, and it seemingly wasn’t getting any easier. It was still stupidly cold out and the constant downpours from the night before made everything a lot dirtier and way too damp.

Satisfied that I was stretched out enough, I begin with a slow paced jog. Every muscle ached but I ignored it. Keep going... I tell myself. Pushing through the morning aches, I continue along the sidewalk of my neighborhood. Each window of each home and apartment was dim.  They were probably all filled with sleeping bodies, snuggled up in their warm beds. None of them stupid enough to be up this early on a Saturday morning. I envied them. 

I begin to jog in a relatively steady pace. Nike’s hitting pavement. Music blasts through earbuds, sending shrills of motivation. I get lost into a world of heavy beats and soulful voices. Every ounce of my senses being captured by a  world of concentration. I was never the type of person who enjoyed going for a morning run. It was ridiculous to me. Yet here I was... awake at the break of dawn... running. 

I keep moving. My muscles warming up with each step that I took. Ironically, Kanye West’s Work Out Plan begins to play in my earbuds. I can’t help but laugh, shaking my head and the old tune. 

One and two and three and four... my steps hit each beat.

Sweat brims the edge of my forehead, slowly dripping down the side of my cheek. My heartbeat speeds up. My pace picks up. Each footstep going quicker and quicker. The thrill of raised adrenaline encouraging my quicken pace. I felt lighter... happier... sweaty. God, did I feel sweaty. 

The song switches and something suddenly grabs my arm. Yelping, I jump back and almost falling to the ground. It’s a blur of grey, black and blonde. A familiar pair of baby blues look down at me. It’s Niall who is bending over in laughter. Pulling out my headphones I give him my best glare. 

“What the hell is wrong with you?” 

This only encourages his incessant laughter. 

“I’m... so... sorry...” He continues to laugh, his head thrown back, eyes scrunched and hand on his chest. “You jumped so high! And that face... Jesus.” 

I slap Niall’s arm but this only encourages him more. “You’re a dick,” I mutter. 

He wipes his eyes, his laughter dying down. “Sorry... sorry.” 

“Why are you sneaking up on innocent runners anyway? Pretty positive that’s an offense somewhere,” I say while rubbing my arms that have suddenly grown chilly. 

“Just been running meself,” he casually shrugs, a grin playing at his lips. 

“Meself? God, could you get any more Irish?” 

He chuckles, “Plenty more where that came from.” 

“Don’t know if I want to experience it.” 

Niall smiles, shaking his head. He then reaches out towards me. Flinching, I step back, brows furrowed in confusion. “Just hold still,” he laughs. His hand reaches out once again, taking hold of my iPod strapped to my arm. “Aren’t you fancy,” he comments. 

His bright eyes look over my old iPod nano. It looked small in his hands, as his fingers fumble with the small device. “Jesus, this is old.” I smirk as he continues to figure out how to work it. He mumbles a finally, his thumb turning in a small circle. I take a step closer, look over his shoulder to see what he was doing. 

Niall continued to scroll through my music, his brows furrowed in concentration. “Good music selection,” he comments, eyes still focused on the device. 

“Thanks...” 

“Never pegged you as an Avril Lavigne fan,” Niall laughs. 

“Everyone is entitled to a guilty pleasure. I’m sure you have your fair share,” I tell him, defending my small collection of Avril’s greatest hits. I wasn’t a massive fan... I didn’t plan on going to her concerts anytime soon, but I didn’t mind a good ‘girl power’ tune. If it wasn’t for her, I wouldn’t have had my first boyfriend. He was a skater boy... But I later on said see ya later, boy... he moved to California. It was a tragic love story. Seventh grade. I don’t like to talk about it... 

“I do like a good Drake song here and there,” he nods in agreement. 

“Drake? Really?” 

He looks up at me, his blue eyes shining in the early morning sun. “He has a few great hits.”

“I guess Canadian music is more of a guilty pleasure than a first preference. How sad for the Canadians.” 

“Not true,” he shakes his head adamantly. “Love Michael Buble... can never go wrong with the Bubes. Never a guilty pleasure that’s for damn sure.” 

“Fair point,” I chuckle. “Well done Canada.” 

A cold rush of air breezes by, causing a chill to run down my spine. I violently shiver, my hands automatically rubbing up an down my arms. “Jesus, it’s cold out.” Niall looks down at me, shaking his head. “Mm, wanna come to my place? I have coffee.” 

I smile, nodding my head slowly. “You’re in luck, I just ran out of my own stash.” 

“I’ve always been known for having great timing,” he tells me. A cheeky grin on his face. 

“Alright then... let’s go.” 

We make our way back to our building. My headphones now tightly wrapped around my iPod and tucked safely into the pocket of my running shorts. Niall is talking, telling me about an article he had read that morning. Something about a dog saving a mouse. I wasn’t quite sure but the way his face lit up while telling the tale was amusement enough. We walk into the building, warm air welcoming us. 

“Now, do I need to hold your hand while we walk up the stairs? I know how hard it is for you to not slip. Unless, of course, you do it purposefully so that I can save you.”

“You’re so funny,” I sarcastically roll my eyes, playfully nudging him in the arm. “I’ll be fine.” 

Walking up the steps, we stay silent. It’s not awkward. The playful banter from only moments ago still lingering in the air. We make it up the steps and head toward Niall’s apartment. I stop him before he opens up, grabbing his arm. 

“Do you need to get any girls out of your bed first? Don’t want a repeat from last time.”

“Oh fuck off,” he jokes, shaking his head. “No girls... not to worry.” 

“Wasn’t worried. Just saying... don’t want another awkward encounter with Miss. Ginny.” 

Niall opens the door, letting me walk in first. I slip my running shoes off and walk in further into the apartment. Niall shuts the door behind him, slipping his grey hoodie off. “Coffee and breakfast?” He asks, walking over to the kitchen. 

I hesitate before answering. My stomach wasn’t grumbling, a sure sign that it was time to for breakfast. “Yeah, breakfast sounds great.”

Niall smiles, nudging his head to the side to call me over. Slowly, I make my way across the apartment. His kitchen was the same as it was last time I was over. Neat, with a few dirty dishes in the sink. An opened bottle of wine sits in the middle of the counter. Rose - one of my favourite dessert wines. 

“Didn’t take you as a girly wine drinker,” I comment, picking the bottle up. 

“I don’t mind it,” he casually shrugs. 

Soon enough the smell of bacon fills the kitchen space. I sit back, a mug of coffee in my hands. It tastes good against my throat, the familiar taste warming me up. Niall continues to prepare breakfast. Eggs, bacon, pancakes... it seemed like he was cooking for an army and not us two. I offer to help but only to be turned down. “You’re my guest,” he says, shaking his head no. 

I only sigh, taking another slow sip from my mug. Minutes later, Niall pulls out two plates. He sets them on the kitchen counter along with two forks and knives. “Here,” he passes the cooling skillet that houses the freshly fried bacon and scrambled eggs. I take a few spoonfuls of eggs and a few pieces of bacon, filling my plate up. “Pancakes?” He offers me the plate and I generously load my plate. 

My mouth waters at the sweet aroma. My stomach growling lowly in anticipation. Niall takes a seat beside me, his eyes traveling towards my overloaded plate. He lets out a low whistle, “Wow.” 

Embarrassed, I feel my cheeks blush. Looking away, I awkwardly bite my lip. “I like food?” The statement comes out more as a question, and I mentally slap myself for it. 

“Nah, it’s cool. It’s nice to see a girl that can eat. Don’t know where you’re putting it though.” 

“Great genes,” I shrug. 

Breakfast is much better than I expected. The food filling me up. I take another large serving of eggs, my lips quirking into a pleased smile. “These are great,” I compliment, taking another bite. Niall mutters a thank you, as he takes a long sip from his glass of juice. 

Soon enough our plates are empty and I am throughly stuffed. I stretch out, moving my arms above my head and arching my back. A pleased sigh escapes my lips. I look over at Niall who watches me, a smile tugging at his lips.

“What?” 

“Nothing,” he smiles, shaking his head.

“Can I use your washroom?” I ask, slipping down from the high stool. 

Niall nods, “Yeah. First door to your right,” he says, pointing down towards a small hallway. I thank him, before walking over towards the washroom. 

The washroom is small just like my own. It’s neat as well - something that all his rooms seemed to be. I hadn’t pegged Niall as someone who was impulsively clean but his apartment was telling me otherwise. I step towards the toilet, bending down to continue on with my business. 

Finished, I step over to the sink. Pale skin and tired eyes meet me at the mirror. I wipe my mouth and wash my hands. Pumpkin Frost - oh Niall... Washing my hands, I reach for the mouth wash. The aftertaste of bacon lingering on my tongue. I gargle quickly... minty fresh. 

 “What are you up to today?” Niall asks me once I’m back and seated on the kitchen stool.

Sighing, I sit up straighter. “Homework and some more homework. The usual...” 

“On a Saturday?” 

“Welcome to the life of a student.”

Niall sits up. His arms sitting against the countertop, his back arched slightly. He runs his hand through his short blonde hair, scratching the back of his neck. He looks up at me, “Do you plan on having a break? I hear breaks are good.” 

“Probably.” 

He nods slowly, his eyes trained on me. “You should take a break around seven. I can make us some dinner and catch something on Netflix? Realized that we never hang out. Thought it’d be fun.” 

I’m slightly taken back by his sudden friendly gesture. Niall and I weren’t exactly friends. Sure we talked and joked around, but the thought to hang out never crossed my mind. However, he was a fun guy. Had this energy about him that was contagious. Always positive and laughing. It was a nice change from the brooding, emotional and overstressed University students I was surrounded by every day. Without giving it a second thought I nod, “Sure. That sounds fun.”

A wide grin spreads across his face, “Great!” 

“Super.” I jump off the stool, stretching my arms once again. “Listen, I have to go and shower. Thanks again for breakfast.” 

“No problem. 7 o’clock.” 

“7 o’clock.” 

-

VOTE + COMMENT (IF YOU WANT! IT'D BE NEAT IF YOU DID.) 

ALSO, LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK SO FAR! I'D LOVE TO HEAR YOUR THOUGHTS. 

IF YOU HAVE ANY EDITS OF EVIE AND NIALL, PLEASE SEND THEM TO MY TWITTER: JHILDEY_ 

PS: IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR GOOD HARRY STORIES, PLEASE CHECK OUT MY FAVES AT THE MOMENT: 
EBONY & IVORY BY GEMMAASTYLESS - LOVE HER + LOVE HER WRITING. IT'S A DIFFERENT TAKE ON HARRY AND I THINK YOU'LL LIKE IT A LOT. SHE NEVER FAILS TO DELIVER. 
GREY (SERIES)  BY ONEDLOVE95 - THIS GIRL KNOWS HOW TO TUG THE HEARTSTRINGS. THE WAY SHE WRITES HARRY'S CHARACTER IS SO SPOT ON. IT'S MADDNESS! 
BOTH OF THESE AUTHORS ARE AMAZING AND RIDICULOUSLY TALENTED. LOVE THEM DEARLY AND THEY DESERVE ALL THE READS IN THE WORLD.  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 145 38
Nadia seemingly has a perfect life, a perfect job, and a perfect personality. She is highly imaginative and finds herself dreaming most of the time a...
7.8K 481 45
One drunk mistake and that's it. You sit in a wheelchair. Can't walk. You don't want anything just to die. You lost your last hopes to ever stand up...
2.8K 132 36
Two-time Masters Champion, world-renowned golf star, and heartthrob Niall Horan has returned to Los Angeles to begin training for his upcoming partic...
225K 5.4K 42
Crises can be overcome but can everyone survive? He and She - Niall and Olivia Happy moments don't last forever and when everything seems fine, somet...