The Perfect Date - romance...

By melitajoy

He'll need more than his wealth to impress her!! Billionaire Alessandro Dalmassi has everything he could pos... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14 - Final Chapter

Chapter 2

41.2K 1.3K 46
By melitajoy

Chapter 2

Nine-forty-five and Breanne was walking up the path to Greg's apartment building. He lived in Potts Point and judging by the exterior of this apartment the man had serious money. She thought it a pity that someone who had acquired this kind of wealth had not also acquired the emotional thoughtfulness to put together a romantic date from the heart. Who was she to criticise. His lack of romanticism was paying her wages and a nice little bonus. She continued her walk up the perfectly manicured garden path. Breanne breathed in the scent of gardenias in bloom and approaching the door she tugged at the bottom of her slim fit skirt which had crept out of position. Breanne felt a twinge of self-consciousness as she reached for the door buzzer. Dressed in tidy office wear of a button up short sleeved blouse and pencil skirt with moderate heels Breanne usually felt a bit more confident. However, today she felt the need to impress. Breanne had been trying to visualise the voice on the phone and somewhere throughout a restless night she'd created a man who was out of her league sexy. Arriving today in her chain store bought clothing was not quite the style needed to fulfil her end of the fantasy. Breanne admonished herself for her fanciful thoughts. Even if he was Mr. Wonderful or remotely interested in her she certainly wasn't in a position to be dating anyone. She shook her head, set herself straight and then pressed on the door bell.

Zandro forced himself to stay seated at his desk and waited for his housekeeper to let her in. Fighting for control was a novel experience, he was not about to start acting like a randy teenager at this point in his life. Hell it had been so long since he'd felt this kind of anticipation and he found he was enjoying the experience even if patience wasn't his strongest attribute. When it came to business decisions Zandro outmanoeuvred his opposition during negotiations every time with his forceful silence and ability to hold out for the best outcome. His focus and drive were two of the factors that saw Zandro move from doing entry level roles, whilst putting himself through dual business and economic degrees, to the successful business magnate of Europe's leading finance company, Zandra Finance. He owed his mentor and step Uncle Massimo. Max the older brother of his mother's third but not last husband and an astute business man himself had seen in Zandro a relentlessness and focus at a very early age and had not only offered financial assistance to help Zandro through his education but had been a continued mentor throughout the years. It was because of Max that he was here now. He wondered what Max would think of his current actions.

The door opened and a middle aged, homely woman of comfortable proportions greeted Breanne. "Come on in love I'll take you straight up to the office. Would you like a cuppa tea? I have a pot brewed but can just as easily make a coffee if you prefer?" the woman chatted away.

Breanne immediately felt herself relax in the woman's presence. If his mum was this lovely then the man himself would surely be okay to work for. "Ummm, a cup of tea would be lovely thanks," Breanne said with a smile.

Breanne was lead up a modern, floating staircase of polished glass and gleaming chrome suspension cables and was advised to take the second door on the right and that tea would be brought up to the office in a jiffy.

The door was open, though common courtesy dictated that she should still knock to alert him of her presence. He was engrossed, focused on his computer screen and it gave Breanne the chance to check out his profile. Even in his seat he seemed to fill the room with his presence. She took in his dark, just long enough to run her fingers through, hair, his strong straight nose and smooth clean shaven olive skin. "Take a seat," he dictated as she raised her hand to tap on the door.

Zandro had felt her presence and knew that he was being studied. With a concerted effort he stayed focused on the stats that were blurring before him on the screen. Without lifting his head he called for her to enter. Deliberately biding his time he took another moment to ensure that he kept his most needed possession, control. Her sweet provocative perfume filled his senses and escalated the battle that was already raging within him. Turning he gazed directly into a large pool of warm brown eyes and the most enticing smile he had ever seen.

"Mr. Smith it is great to meet you. Thank you for the privilege of allowing me into your home to set up this event today," Breanne half stood and stretched out her arm feeling as though she were reaching over the precipice of a cliff rather than a shiny black wood desk. Her advantage of checking out his profile had not prepared her for the front on assault to her senses. This was a man who could be on the list of Cleo's one hundred most eligible bachelors. Gazing directly into her eyes were the most dynamic pair of piercing silver eyes she had ever seen, she was sure they knew every one of her thoughts at this moment. He had strong Mediterranean features and exuded inner strength. As he stood to take her hand she imagined that beneath the obvious quality of his designer silk shirt was a perfectly sculpted body, a body designed to protect and love. Boy was she getting fanciful.

Her hands were certainly not dainty and small yet in Zandro's grip they felt very feminine and small. His grip was firm and sure and really only held onto her for a couple of seconds. The touch sent electric pulses running through her entire body.

"Take a seat Breanne I want to run through some of the details before leaving you to your work. I will be out for the next couple of hours so any questions you have you will need to ask now," when threatened Zandro always fell back on basic instinct and after that fleeting hand shake he knew he was in danger. Instinct instructed him to get away fast. Yes leaving the house and working from anywhere else would be a wise idea.

There was a tap on the office door and Breanne's tea was being brought to her along with some banana bread and a short black presumably for Zandro. He cleared a spot on the desk for the contents of the tray. "Breanne you are in for a treat. June makes this banana bread from scratch and I've yet to find any better." He called her June so she was obviously not his mother.

June served Breanne a very healthy portion of the bread which already had lashings of butter melting all over it. Both Zandro and June had their eyes on her. June waited for her approval of the banana bread and Zandro's eyes zoned in on her mouth. A little self-consciously she bit into the soft buttery warmth of the bread. Zandro's recommendation was well warranted. The bread was delicious and very more-ish.

Breanne unconsciously rolled her eyes in obvious enjoyment of the treat, letting out a moan of pure delight causing Zandro's body to react in the most primal way.

"Oh this is amazing. June I hope you will be willing to share your recipe. This is absolutely delicious," she licked at a crumb perched on the edge of her lip at which point Zandro turned abruptly to face his computer.

June advised Breanne that she couldn't give her the recipe as it was a secret family recipe passed down through the generations; however, she was happy to make it for her anytime. Whilst June talked about the bread and picked up the tray to leave Breanne was extremely conscious of Mr. Smith, his mood had changed and Breanne felt as though he were displeased for some reason though she couldn't figure out the cause.

The housekeeper exited and Zandro once again faced her and he was now all business. "So tell me which areas of the house will you need to access and what you will need before I leave?"

"I will need access to the kitchen, lounge room, bathroom or ensuite and of course um your bedroom," eh why did she have to stumble over saying his bedroom. Suddenly she felt so gauche like a teenage girl talking to her unbeknown crush.

Zandro took in the slight blush thinking that at that moment she looked very young and innocent indeed and very sexy. "Fine, June will be more than happy to show you around her kitchen. I will quickly show you the rooms that you require so you are able to get around the house with ease whilst I am gone. However, if you need any assistance then please ask June."

She watched as Zandro moved out of his seat and reached over to grab hold of his laptop bag. Breanne had always been a little on the short side at only five foot three and a half inches tall. As Breanne also stood she estimated that Zandro was definitely over six impressive feet. It was more than just his height that captivated her attention it was the way he owned the space in which he existed that drew her eye continuously to him.

After a quick tour of the house and with Zandro gone Breanne was finally able to focus on her work. Oh who was she kidding, sure she was focused but it was definitely not on work. She had better hurry up and get her head out of the clouds and into a work space and pronto or maybe she should just channel these feelings and put them to use. With her fantasies of Greg Smith playing in her mind she began exploring the house on her own. With the tingles of romance running through her blood she began to weave her magic around his house creating a romance scene that she herself would be happy to be a part of. She positioned a table for two underneath a large blooming Jacaranda and set it with crisp white linen and silverware. June had located a ceramic vase to fill with blooms fresh from the garden. Quickly the two formed a friendship and worked very amicably together. June insisted on heating up the food that had been supplied and advised that she would add some finishing touches for that added bit of flair.

Sitting at a nearby cafe Zandro's email seemed to blur across the screen in front of him. The hot blonde waitress with her best pouty smile had provocatively asked if there was anything she could get for him and waited expectantly. Zandro barely glanced her way when declining. Zandro's imagination was running free with thoughts of Breanne in his house, in his bedroom. He pictured her lying on his bed waiting for him to return wearing not much more than a few scraps of lace and staring up at him with those sexy sparkling eyes. She had a body that was made to drive a man crazy, soft in all the right places unlike the bags of bones that often adorned his arm. Frustrated Zandro checked his watch for the fifth time in as many minutes. Maybe a brisk walk would ease some of his tension.

Breanne was very pleased with the results of her morning efforts. As soon as Zandro walked in she began to explain exactly how he should move through the scenes that she had set up for him, him and his date. It was like a light bulb moment for Breanne. The entire time that she had spent setting up this romantic indulgence for Greg Smith she never once thought about Mrs Smith or what she may like. In fact Breanne had not asked a single question of her client as to what her preferences might be. All of a sudden Breanne started to feel nervous that she might not have given her best. "Um, I had better change quickly into a fresh apron before your date arrives. My job is to stay to serve your food and do a quick tidy up. I can then be called upon later if required to do a more thorough clean."

Zandro noticed the hesitation in Breanne though he couldn't put his finger on what had suddenly hindered her enthusiasm and confidence. "My date has already arrived," he stated.

Breanne's eyes opened wide as saucers, "Oh, I'm sorry I didn't hear her arrive. I'm dreadfully sorry. I'll step into the kitchen. If you just take your guest out to the yard you will find that I have set a table up for the two of you. I will be out shortly with drinks."

"Breanne, you have misunderstood. My date stands before me. I would like you to accompany me today and get to know you better."

Breanne bristled a little; although the words were phrased almost as a request Zandro's tone was a definite demand.

"June, you will serve our meal. It is time for Breanne to relax and enjoy her handiwork," his smile at his housekeeper softened his words and his arm on the small of Breanne's back guided her towards the yard with the intent of getting his own way.

Breanne began to seethe and had to force personal feelings out of the way. At the end of the day Mr. Smith was her client and she had better remember that her boss Ben would not be impressed to find out that this day had gone anything but smoothly. However, being an escort or call girl was certainly not on her list of duties.

Breanne sat stiffly opposite this gorgeous man. She wasn't quite sure how she would survive a lunch with those silver light beams peering through her soul for an entire lunch. She also wasn't sure how she was going to make it clear that she didn't come as part of the dessert menu, she inwardly groaned at the thought.

"So Breanne, tell me about yourself," he knew without a doubt that if there was one question that could start a woman talking solidly for the next two hours then that was it.

"Oh, there's not really that much to tell. Um I've been working for LSS for the past eight years and I enjoy my role."

Zandro watched her take a sip of her sparkling water and waited for her to continue. "What about you? I'm sure your life is a lot more interesting than mine," she self-deprecated.

Zandro was slightly stunned though he was not about to let her take control so soon. "What about family or a boyfriend? I hardly think that summing your life up into one sentence is all that there is to know about you" he prodded. Zandro noticed the slight widening of her eyes and a few other fleeting emotions that passed through her face and quickly left a wall that shouted she was not about to divulge any further details. He wondered if she realised just how transparent her face was to him. For he recognised immediately nearly every fleeting emotion that she showed him and instead of scaring him off which it normally would, he wanted to know more.

Popping on a wide engaging smile Breanne utilised her best people skill. She liked to think of it as skimming the surface. Breanne knew without a doubt that when people asked how you were they weren't really interested in actually knowing how you are. They wanted surface information and preferably in a glossy snapshot. "Well I'm very focused on my work so I'd say that it is a big part of my life. I am not currently attached," she waved her hand offhandedly as though it were by choice. "Family wise I have a sister and her little terrors to enjoy,"

Her laugh was light and airy but he could see that there was definitely more to this enigmatic woman. "And where does your sister live? Is she close by?" he continued to push for more.

"Mmm, no she is not close she is up in the Blue Mountains at Leura."

"That is quite a hike particularly from Newcastle."

"Yes, well the office is in Newcastle but I actually live on the Central Coast at Budgewoi so it's not all that far.  I quite enjoy driving so it never feels like a chore when I'm making the trip and you didn't answer my question?"  At his blank stare she reminded him, "You're life?"

Deciding to accept her obvious diversion he also answered briefly. "I have a sister and mother back home in Italy."

"Italy, I've always wanted to travel through Europe and Italy is definitely on my list. Smith doesn't sound very Italian though? Is your father not Italian?"

He had to admit she was certainly no fool and this was the best opportunity to come clean. Zandro prided himself on his fierce integrity and did not hesitate to unfold the series of events that had brought them here together.

Breanne sat stunned. If there was one thing she abhorred it was deceit and game playing. Breanne believed in being upfront and honest and the scene set before her was just riddled with deceit. "So, you are the boss now?" she asked tonelessly.

This was not the reaction he had expected, he expected, well he expected more enthusiasm. He had after all just told her that he was the owner of Zandra Finance and that he had chosen to have lunch with her. Could it be possible that she didn't know the company? "Yes, my Uncle, Massimo, entrusted the company to me."

"Max was your Uncle?" she raised a quizzical brow.

"Yes, not by blood, he was my step father's brother but we had a bond stronger than most biological relations."

"And the first thing you do with your newly acquired power is manipulate your new staff through deceitful actions?"

Zandro had just been chastised and put in his place. She did not need to raise her voice. Her disappointment rang out clear. He felt oddly put out. He did not normally care if people liked him or not. However, he usually commanded a great deal of respect, having said that he did not normally behave as irrationally as he had been since he first heard Breanne's voice.

Breanne saw a fleeting change in Zandro's expression, she was sure she had touched a raw nerve with him. Within a blink of an eye he closed the window into the real person and turned his charm factor up to full furnace heat.

"Breanne," he turned on a thick Italian accent, "You wound me? I am merely a man who has fumbled the start of our relationship. I am a red blooded Italian and you have thrown me with your charm and beauty."

Breanne could not help but giggle. The man really was incorrigible. "Fine I will forgive you this transgression; however, just remember that I do not play games and I do not like deceit." She looked into his eyes which had turned solemn as he gave a firm nod of his head.

Throughout the rest of the lunch Zandro proved to be a witty, knowledgeable companion. He had life experience that Breanne could only dream of and she enjoyed his perspective on some of the places he had travelled to. Today was a pleasant interlude from her day to day responsibilities as she let him transport her into his exotic world of travel and adventure.

As the meal came to an end Zandro reached across the table and took a firm hold of her hand. "Stay for the rest of the afternoon with me.  I'm not ready for you to leave yet"

Staying with the gorgeous Zandro would not be a hardship and she wished it were as simple as just saying yes. She had no choice but to decline and from the way he seemed to just expect her to fall in with every one of his plans she didn't think he would take the rejection well. It might do him good to hear the word no. She was sure that it was not a word he ever heard in the presence of a companion or employee. "I'm sorry Zandro, it is simply not possible for me to stay the rest of the afternoon. I am more than happy to clean up first but then I really must be going."

"Your words tell me one thing Cara but your eyes are speaking a language of their own."

"Is that so? Well I'm afraid it is my words that you need to listen to as shortly my eyes will be leading me out the door."

Zandro watched the indignant lift of her eyebrow and the way her shoulders pressed back to emphasise her conviction. She was feisty and being disagreeable and he wanted her all the more for it.

Sure the man was drop dead gorgeous and yes stunningly wealthy but that meant little to Breanne when she was being pushed around. She had recently decided that she needed to be more assertive in matters that affected her. She knew she was a pushover but she must start to take control or she would be forever manoeuvred and that was when unhealthy resentments could start to build up.

"Okay, I will not push you to further today's date. I would like to see you again though."

"Zandro, you do not employ someone to come to your house and do all the work and then tell her that you had taken her on a date!" really this man was the limit.

"Of course you are right. I can assure you that I have never employed anyone to come on a date with me. Let's put this behind us. I would like to take you on a real date. Are you free Friday night?"

Breanne thought about Beryl's constant reminders that she should get out and enjoy herself on occasion. That she would burn herself into the ground if she didn't enjoy the company of a fine man every now and then. She knew Beryl would be available to help her out though she still thought she should check before committing. She wondered how quickly he would back out if he knew her commitments included five children. She held off on letting him know. For a change she would do something for herself. Just enjoy the night, be young and carefree. She had been feeling older than her years for some time now and a bit of frivolity might take a couple of those emotional years away from her.

If you are enjoying this book, please consider supporting me by nominating my new book on Kindle Scout. I need your nominations to secure a publishing deal.

Please, please, please take a moment to nominate by using this link and if it gets published you will get a free kindle copy. Thank you in advance!!

https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/22DS6UMI8AFSE 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6M 14.6K 9
*Officially published by Black Velvet Seductions* *Previously featured by Wattpad* "Laryssa Mitchell is one of the lucky ones. The death of her abusi...
505K 13.6K 37
"Get away from me."I took her soft hands from my chest and pinned them on the wall.I closed the gap between us but our lips didn't meet.She looked in...
1M 35.6K 48
Second Love previously known as Billionaire's LOVE or OBSESSION Ranked #80 in Romance on [28.09.17] Ranked #88 in Romance on [24.09.17] Ranked #93...
1.2M 39.7K 39
She was a beauty to behold. Never stepping out of house, her grandparents provided everything after her tragic past. But what if her past is catching...