Marble || Edogawa Ranpo

By marster_

ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ʟɪᴠᴇ ɪɴ ʜᴀs ᴅɪғғᴇʀᴇɴᴛ ᴄᴏʟᴏʀs ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴅᴡᴇʟʟ ᴀɴᴅ ᴍɪxᴇᴅ ᴛᴏɢᴇᴛʜᴇʀ. ʙᴜᴛ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅ sᴇᴇ ɪs ᴊᴜsᴛ... More

Case 1
Case 2
Case 3
Case 4
Case 5
Case 6
Case 7
Case 8
Case 9
Case 10
Case 11
Case 12
Case 13
Case 14
Case 15
Case 16
Case 17
Case 18
Case 19
Case 20
Case 21
Case 23
Case 24
- Discontinued Notice -

Case 22

3.9K 244 229
By marster_

In the afternoon, the members of Armed Detective Agency are having a break inside the Uzumaki café, each member is feeling their energy depleted with the burnt-out syndrome. Adding with the scorching weather outside, it was not helping them to feel in spirit again. So, here they are, enjoying the time they have after the big job cleaning the battle with the Guild before.

The bell ring from the door and everyone cast a glance at the one who just enters the café.

It was another day that you had come to this café and the pleasant aroma of coffee inside the precinct filled your nostrils and relaxed your mind and tense body. You had just come right on time that Ranpo was here as well.

"Heya, (Name)-chan~" Dazai greets you from his seat and waving at you in a lethargic way.

"Hello, everyone." You replied back and give them a slight bow. Aside from Dazai and Ranpo, there is Tanizaki, Yosano, Atsushi, and Kenji who were engaging in their conversation before you had come. Taking your seat at the vacant spot near Ranpo and placed down a document in your hand on the table. Finally, you have time to let out a small sigh escape from your mouth.

"What's that? Another new case?" Ranpo asks you and sip on his drink lazily why laying his face on one side on the table. "Is it for me?"

"Not quite right." You order a coffee like the usual first from the barista before resuming to answer Ranpo. "But it is a case handed to me for a trial today. I come here to ask for your opinion about it to solve the case, Ranpo-san."

"Ahh... I'm lazy... so I will pass." He sounds disinterested about it and dismissed you right away.

"Eh? But I really need your opinion. The trial will continue tomorrow." You plead him but Ranpo did not move at all. He was still slouching his head on the table and emitting a lazy aura. Again, what can you do to make him aid you? Do you need to beg for him as you have done for the first time? But before this, it was your fault... this time, you didn't even do anything wrong to him. You are making a troubled face and Dazai interjects the conversation as he was intrigued to know more.

"Oh, a trial? What is it about this time?" Dazai asks and evinced his curiosity. He had nothing better to do until the lunch break is over for them.

"Well, how do I say this... guess I will explain from the beginning." You construct the information inside your head chronologically to recount the event that transpired inside the courtroom before you came to this café today.

.

.

.

XX/XX/XX, 10:00 AM
District Court, Courtroom no 4

Bam! Bam!

The hammer pound and resound in the room.

"Court is now in session for the trial of Ihara Suzuki."

The judge has declared.

"The defense is ready, Your Honor."

"The prosecutor is ready as always, Your Honor." You stated with your back straightened up and did a slight curtsy in grace. This time as well, you are not going to lose the trial with every preparation ready at the tips of your fingers. All that is left, is to deliver the truth and justice as you have always done. This is your battlefield and the opposite side is the foe that you must defeat with every ounce of truth that you have obtained.

And so, the cross-examination begins.

"The prosecutor will now call for the first witness of this case," and then stand at the podium to give the testimony is Detective Minoura who investigated the crime scene.

"I'm Minoura, a police department detective. The victim's name is Murata. A local landlord of a lodge located in Kanagawa Prefecture. The cause of death is strangling in his sleep. The murder weapon is said to be a pillow that used to suffocate the victim. The police discovered that several items belonging to the victim were missing, namely, the keys which he had always kept in his purse, plus a large of fortune in securities which have disappeared together with the small portable cash box in which had been kept in his safe. During the night before the murder took place, the main door has not been locked because he had expected his wife and son to return late. And as for on-the-spot clues, there was but one item— a soiled handkerchief. The police have taken it to the laboratory for inspection and came with a result it belonged to the defendant, Ihara Suzuki."

"Therefore, it is conclusive proof that the defendant is at the time murder took place." You added after Minoura has done giving his testimony. "And the defendant is one of the lodgers during that night it happened."

"OBJECTION!" The defense argued back and slam his table. "The defendant has no motive to kill the victim!"

"Then, what do you supposed that he was doing with the stolen money and the valuable stuff?"

"The defendant came from a well-to-do and wealthy family. Hence, the motive for robbery is invalid."

"So, you are saying that he is not guilty based on that background?" You countered the defense attorney back.

"Yes, that would be likely the case."

Well, that person just tripped into one of the traps that you laid.

"Can you prove it was not the defendant who killed the victim? In this document, it was said that the victim is diagnosed with somnambulist. Even his close friends and various tenants witness him sleepwalking during the night and the defendant has no idea what he was doing during his trance state. He walks to the victim's room and strangled him to death. Took the victim's belongings and hide in his room but he dropped his handkerchief." You recited it to him so that the defense with a stern tone and cold eyes. Ready to strike and end this trial anytime.

"But— but it was no more than a piece of circumstance evidence!" The defense attorney said as he is not yet to back down from the fight.

Although you like a challenge and to see the fire that lit up in your opponent's eyes, there is no need for you to go on easy or show the mercy of those who found guilty. This is the least case that will favor your side as it was committed in the state of awareness or not. Much like the crime that was committed when one is drunk or diagnosed with mental issues. The judge usually will give a not guilty verdict to these types of circumstances but not when you are here now.

You will make sure of that.

"Your Honor, he has no consciousness during the instance he was sleepwalking. That alone suffices to tell the defendant is liable for acquittal."

"NOT SO FAST!" You remonstrated from your place. "Crime committed outside of consciousness is still a crime that needs to be punished. If law failed to prevail this kind of crime, then we will get a lot of the convict freed from their charged and roam freely by this excuse." And you can't allow that to happened since you have sworn that to yourself not to turn your eyes blind toward any injustice that happened before you.

The defense attorney countered you back to corner, "Then, you are telling me we can just tell them guilty when they are not meant to commit the crime itself? The instance case for accidental murder or for the instance of defending themselves? Although it is not what happened to the defendant, he is still under the impression that he could commit the crime under his dream state. Therefore, we cannot judge him for that!"

"OBJECTION!" You raised and opposed to that statement. "You believed that your client might have killed the victim then? If he is so much innocent, you won't request him to plead acquittal. The evidence will speak for the truth itself!"

There was a back and forth argument inside the court and occasionally the judge had to interrupt so that both parties won't get too emotional in the heated debate. However, you were slowly losing the trial as more witnesses came to testify for the defendant that he is indeed, have somnambulist.

But you are not yet satisfied hearing their testimony. If the defendant, Ihara Suzuki was found not guilty, there will be the second trial if he already gets the verdict. It will cause double jeopardy, a procedure defense that prevents an accused person from being tried again on the same charges following a valid acquittal or conviction next time.

The defendant's mind is in a state of turmoil as he was not sure whether he really did commit the crime or not. Of course, he wants to be found not guilty, but at the same time, he also doubts that he is actually completely innocent. Either way, you didn't detect that he was lying.

It's just...

Why the nagging feeling at the back of your mind telling that the defendant might not be the actual killer? This is bad. If you began to doubt your belief, you will totally lose this one for sure. Not that winning trial is everything for you, but delivering the truth is your job to do as a prosecutor attorney. If this defendant is found guilty, the sentence for his can be in prison for a maximum of twenty years or executed with the gallows. The life of this defendant depends on the outcome of this trial. Which is why you couldn't take this lightly.

"Order, order in the court!" The judge pounds his hammer several times to earn both of your attention. "The defense has proven their fair point that the defendant is not aware when he was committing the crime. Therefore, the verdict could not be passed as guilty."

"What? You can't be serious!"

"However," The judge cut your interruption. "If the prosecutor still wants to further investigate this case, then the prosecutor has to bring new evidence that will prove whether the defendant is guilty or not. That is all, the trial will be adjourned until tomorrow."

Bam! Bam!

.

.

.

"That is why I failed to prove my point."

"I see, so that's what happens," Dazai comments and sips his coffee. By this time, your cup is already empty since you begin to explain the event. Feeling a bit at loss.

"Say, (Name)-chan. I could not help but noticed, do you really think that the defendant is truly guilty after all?"

You ponder over his question for a moment before answering, "I have no doubt about it. All the evidence did point to the defendant and there are even his fingerprints found inside the victim's room. But because of his condition, he would be discharged if I can't prove he was guilty of his crime."

"Well," Dazai caress his chin and he leaned back to his chair as if in deep thought, "If this was during middle age, there was no doubt that kind of crime would not go unpunished. What do you think about it, Ranpo-san?" He comments and directs the question to Ranpo instead.

You were here to hear his opinion about the case, and now that he (you don't know if he pays attention or not) has listened to your recount, you hope to know what his take on this. Since he did call himself the greatest detective of all time after all.

Ranpo is resting his chin on his palm while his elbow in the table and he looks at you in bored with his eyes still slanted closed. Then he extends his other hand to your head. You thought that he was going to give you a head pat like he always did before and called you amateur for not able to solve this case right away, but you felt a sharp and stinging pain on your temple instead.

He just starlight your forehead with his fingers.

"Ouh! What was that for?!" You hiss at him and rub your forehead, glaring at him in surprise and confusion.

"Well, that's what you get for boring me with your uninteresting case!" Ranpo give his reason. "Good grief, you can actually be so dumb and stupid for the most obvious reason." He chides you and sounds very disappointed with your poor assessment this time. He shakes his head.

"Eh, what did I do wrong in here?"

"Everything, from the beginning."

"From the beginning...? Care to elaborate that for me, Ranpo-san?"

He let out a long 'Ehhhhhh' and crease his eyebrows to you. "Do I really have to spell this out for you one by one? You should have able to see right through it even without me telling you."

"Well, if I can... I wouldn't be here to consult you, Ranpo-san."

"Heh." Ranpo smirk hearing your open admission. "Of course, you are. Everyone just so incompetent without me after all. Haha, with no exception from you! It can't be help that everyone really depends on me!" With his declaration, Kenji also praised him along with Tanizaki. 

"Right, you are so great Ranpo-san. Please, please shed me with your wisdom and tell me what I did wrong." You implore to him and tried to sound as sincere as you can without sounding too forced. You had to refrain yourself so hard not to roll your eyes as well hearing his boasting.

Satisfied, Ranpo begins his deduction. "Tell me again, how the defendant found himself that he has somnambulist?"

You recalled the information that was shared inside the courtroom before. "He said that he had this symptom from his high school days. One time in the morning when he wakes up, his friend that stayed in the same lodging had come to his room and said that he wakes him up the night before and engaged in deep oration and argument that he could not recall. At first, he denied that he really did sleep talking and thought of it no more than a mistake, but his friend is so adamant that he really did have a nocturnal conversation with him. He was the first to find out about it too. He went to the doctor and specialist but still can't find the cure. Later one month after, it becomes frequent and it becomes a hot talk behind his back. There was a witness that had saw him sleepwalking and they even told him about it. There was a clerk who saw him at the cemetery, the man who's his watch was stolen, and he found it right next to him in the morning and the guy who said he broke into their room." You finish your explanation.

Then Ranpo just snorts at you. "Are you telling that this is not so obvious already? A sleepwalker could not tell what they were doing during their trance state unless it was told by others. It's a simple trick; his friend sows that doubt in Ihara's mind after he had known of his condition. Since he knows it was impossible that somnambulists will aware of anything that happened to them or what they supposedly have done. This Ihara guy then gullibly believed what was told to him and convinced himself that he had this symptom since then."

"But why would someone tell lie to him?"

"Who knows? The motive might be a grudge or something to the landlord. And the real culprit, find out about this to his advantage and carefully laid out his plan to use the defendant as his scapegoat so that he won't be the suspect."

You paused in silence as you tried to digest this information.

"Then, what about the testimony for the defendant?"

"Hah! You really want to ask me that? What's the deal with your ability? Does it still has many flaws that you could not differentiate between lies and the genuine one?" He mockingly asks and chuckles. "For his many witnesses, they have the same brain size as the defendant. Most of them are really stupid. You can't take all their words as trustworthy. If the clerk had seen him at the cemetery, how can he be sure that it was the defendant and not a ghost instead? Supposedly, that night is dark, how could he saw him prowling about? Then the other perhaps just convinced themselves with the same thing and spread the hoax amongst themselves. Living with the neighborhood, they sure like juicy gossip after all. And then the obvious person that is suspicious most of all would likely be his close friend that he has shared his secret. Then the friend wove his clever plot after a month of preparing. First, by planting the watch as his side. Second, wearing his clothing during the night and posed as Ihara while walking around the lodge premise and at the cemetery when he was asleep. Third, after everyone has believed including Ihara himself that he had suffered from somnambulist, only then he murders the landlord and planting the evidence at the crime scene while taking the landlord's belongings and placed inside Ihara's room so that he will be the prime suspect. After that, the conclusion of all of this. You didn't look with your soul with this case and you blindly follow your conviction that he was guilty based on the evidence you have. End of story, you still have a loooooot to learn." Ranpo drawls his words to make sure you get his last point.

You were nonetheless, amazed by his detailed theory that you are speechless to say anything to counter. What didn't you think of that in the first place? Hearing from a different perspective really broadens your view. You were too busy thinking in one way that you missed the other details.

Ranpo sips his orange juice that the ice has melt while he was explaining the modus operandi of this crime. "Bweh, it's not sweet anymore!" He sticks his tongue out.

"He is amazing, isn't he?" Dazai chirp in when you were still lost for words.

"Yes, indeed he really is." You had no reason to disagree with that. But this also makes you realized about one thing again. Clenching your fist under the table, you said to him with a solemn face. "Ranpo-san, it is as you say that I still have lot to learn. I think I was looking into it with narrow-mindedness and being a bit of prejudice. If I had proven that man is guilty, that will be a grave mistake of me that I could not undo. However, now that I have heard of this. I can't let him be the judge as not guilty either. That will torture the person for the rest of his life if the truth did not come to light." You stand up and ready to leave the café.

"Thank you so much, I really owe you this one. Ranpo-san!" You give him a deep respect bow with your spirit renewed. Although it still frustrated to admit you were wrong this time and you might lose the trial. You let it go as you believe that losing the trial is fine, as long as you won over this case and drag the real culprit to be punished by justice. There is no more than a cowardice act than to cast his own innocent friend as the scapegoat for the crime he committed. You hate liar the most and you can't tolerate that kind of despicable person.

When you leave, Dazai also went to ask Ranpo the same question.

"She is amazing, isn't she? Quite a hard worker too."

"Heeeh. Is that your level of amazing, Dazai? If anything, she is no more than a child that still needs guidance from a great detective like me," Ranpo answer derisively with full confidence. He is still his cocky self.

"Isn't that's why you take her in? I can see that you care about (Name)-chan."

"Care? What are you implying at, Dazai?" 

Dazai finishes his drink and merely smiling to Ranpo, "Nope. Nothing, just forget I say anything." Although he says that, now his observation really confirmed his first speculation.

Hearing your talk with Ranpo today only make Dazai truly realized that he was not someone that you would look at. Because the way you look at Ranpo was on different levels, although perhaps you probably don't realize that yet, and the same goes with Ranpo. Both of you seem clueless when it comes to romance. 

And from the very beginning, this story is about you and Ranpo, it was never about you and Dazai as fate has decided. You two were a perfect pair, one that always belongs to the side of justice... unlike him.

Ah, how laughable. 

It was still on the starting line and yet he already knows that he lost the race.

Truly, what a crippled man he is. This feeling and hope, perhaps, it would be better if he just buried it right away.

***

Oh heck, I watch ace attorney again for inspiration. The case in this chapter is referenced from Two Crippled Man written by Edogawa Ranpo. There will be more cases discussed later and sorry if the romance is slow to develop in this story between Ranpo and Reader. I would like to focus more on their development rather than rush stuff.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.8K 1.2K 21
╰┈➤ 𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇, 𝘼 𝙨𝙤𝙪𝙡 𝙬𝙞𝙩𝙝 𝙖 𝙙𝙞𝙫𝙞𝙣𝙚 𝙥𝙤𝙬𝙚𝙧 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙜𝙪𝙞𝙙𝙖𝙣𝙘𝙚 𝙛𝙧𝙤𝙢 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙬𝙞𝙣𝙙𝙨, 𝙤𝙧 𝙧�...
39.5K 1.3K 24
ᴀꜰᴛᴇʀ ʙᴇɪɴɢ ꜰᴏᴜɴᴅ ʙʏ ᴏꜱᴀᴍᴜ ᴅᴀᴢᴀɪ, ʏᴏᴜɴɢ [ʏ/ɴ] ᴊᴏɪɴᴇᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴏʀᴛ ᴍᴀꜰɪᴀ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʀᴀɪɴᴇᴅ ᴜɴᴅᴇʀ ᴅᴀᴢᴀɪ. ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɴɪɢʜᴛ, ᴡʜᴇɴ ᴅᴀᴢᴀɪ ᴇꜱᴄᴀᴘᴇᴅ ꜰʀᴏᴍ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴏʀᴛ ᴍᴀꜰɪᴀ, ʜᴇ...
957K 20.4K 29
// A collection of Bungou Stray Dogs oneshots; x readers_ || All requests closed ---------------------- • All one-shots are written by me, but I...
36K 613 12
⚠️Bottom Dazai⚠️ ⚠️Yandere Chuuya⚠️