the wind's hymn | paused

By songintheglaciers

"Smile, Al... smile and good things will follow." Alec cradles those words deep within his heart, always on t... More

Chapter 2 ✔
Chapter 3 ✔
Chapter 4 ✔
Chapter 5 ✔
Chapter 6 ✔
Chapter 7 ✔
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18

Chapter 1 ✔

708 28 0
By songintheglaciers

"Carnivore."

Air whistles by Alec's ear and he whips around on the balls of his heels, indignantly meeting familiar steel-coloured eyes. "Do you hear with your nose, Hibari-san?" The blond questions slowly.

His annoyance and frustration is on the edge of boiling into seething anger, and the heavy sunlight beating over their backs still smothers and stifles him, but slowly, Alec releases the briefest exhale.

"I refuse your challenge."

"I'll bite you--"

"I said no!" Alec snaps, and Kyoya's sharp gaze cuts him when he shakes his head dismissively.

He turns around to continue walking, and his polished leather shoes clack against the stone pavement, loud and crisp like the volume of his lilting voice.

"I promise you're welcome to tomorrow, Kyo."

***

It's when his heart thuds in his chest as he makes another turn, Alec pauses to raise his head, and Wind tangles his short hair, curling around his neck like a scarf as if it's trying to whisper in his ear.

Down the road--right there--the Sun is there, it projects.

He throws himself forward, darting faster than he thinks he's ever moved, and the blond blinks hard, skidding to a stop.

"Don't even think about seeing Reborn-chan anymore--"

Alec faintly realises he's intruded an argument, but he's frozen and utterly breathless as his blood pounds in his chest and ears when a white-hot pain sears across his cheek, spreading to his face.

It stings. Like the sudden closing of his chest and windpipe when he confirms the small frame of the Sun through the blur of wet eyes.

"--who are you?!"

"Reborn," Alec chokes out, ignoring the girl as he dashes towards the house fence with shaking hands. "You're here," he breathes out softly, almost dazedly as he carefully lifts the surprised Arcobaleno into his arms away from the fence. His next words are endearing but almost silent, like a scratchy whisper as he gently pulls Reborn next to his chest, cradling him.

"Il mio raggio di sole..." He murmurs, silver threads of steady-formless-strong thrumming warmly under his sunburned skin. Alec cards his fingers under Reborn's fedora, through his hair, and can tell his eyes are at least smiling at Leon. It bubbles in his core, sprouting and hissing faintly in his ears as they warm the hitman. "Who's the boy?" His jewel-like eyes briefly flit over as Leon flicks his tongue against his hand, "Your other alunno?"

"Sawada Tsunayoshi," Reborn answers, looking past his fedora to shoot Tsuna a threatening stare.

Alec pauses, snuggling Reborn closer and turns to the restless brunet with a wide, thankful smile, "Thank you for looking after Reborn."

"You're Reborn-chan's older brother?" Haru steps in front of him, sceptically narrowing her big eyes at his uniform. "And you haven't notified the authorities if he went missing?"

Alec frowns, hand leaving Reborn to touch his tender cheek. His liquid sapphire eyes darken as his lips back into slight frown, glancing down at Reborn.

"Missing?" He repeats in confusion, but before he can correct the girl's assumption, Reborn interrupt.

"Kidnapping me wouldn't work," the hitman says, climbing onto Alec's shoulder who studies her expression as Reborn does so. "It's my job to raise Tsuna, the 10th boss of the mafia. I cannot be separated from Tsuna till then--"

"You may see Reborn another time, with an apology, preferably. Goodbye." Alec cuts him off, striding over to Tsuna and plops Reborn on his shoulder. He swiftly steps past Haru before she considers trying to land another hit on him.

He shouldn't have come.

"W-wait!" Tsuna shouts, running towards him.

Alec intends to ignore him when Wind stops his feet, so he turns around, and his gaze doesn't leave Haru until she's out of sight.

(He really shouldn't have come.)

"U-uh, thank you for helping me, and Reborn, but--" Tsuna fumbles over his words, stopping next to him with his chest billowing for every breath and Alec wants nothing more but to leave.

"Alec," he says.

"What?"

"Alec Mercier."

Wind finally releases him, and he turns away, leaving with long strides leaving the duo to themselves.

He knows better than to get involved again.

***

Smiling's become easier. Coupled with a few clever jokes and some laughter here and there, it helps him slip around the torrent of questions from his peers, but more importantly, fish information.

Wind curls around his torso, pulsing warmly as he skims over his work for the third time, distracted by his conclusion.

He fucked up by choosing to come to this town. Yamamoto Tsuyoshi's son and Smoking Bomb Hayato were with the son of the Young Lion of the Vongola. Poison Scorpion and Lambo Bovino most definitely followed Reborn here too.

And he's exactly a softie like Julien pointed out, considering he's still decided to stay here despite everything.

"--cier-san? Mercier-san?" A glaringly familiar voice startles Alec and he blinks up to a slim and spiky-haired brunet hunched slightly with obvious nervousness.

"Sorry, Sawada-san," Alec offers a small smile before it falls, seeing his empty desk and the last few students leaving the empty classroom.

(It happened again.)

"Are you okay?" Tsuna questions carefully, watching the blond's confused expression.

"Only distracted," Alec answered.  Lying would incite further but this couldn't be why he came up to him. "Is this about Reborn?"

"He said didn't call you and you wouldn't hurt me."

Huh.

"And why are you telling me?"

"Aren't you in the Mafia?" Tsuna blurts, his big, amber eyes widening slightly.

What? "He told you that?" Alec asks quietly, shoulders tensing.

Reborn knows he's retired.

"No," Tsuna immediately shook his head. "But a-aren't you?"

"No--" he was, "--I'm not," and he doesn't need to know that. "I know him from somewhere else."

And Alec really is a big fucking softie. Why was he pretending?

"So we're on cleaning duty today?" He looks up to meet the brunet's gaze, getting up from his seat to quickly pack his things away.

"Y-yeah, but you don't have to--"

"May I hold you chin?" Alec asks quietly, looking down into the shorter teen's eyes.

There's a pause and then a spluttered answer doesn't understand.

"Could you repeat that? I didn't understand."

"Oh, um, yes?" Tsuna blinks rapidly.

"Yes?" Alec repeats.

"Y-yes."

After a curt nod, and with his index and thumb, Alec gently holds Tsuna's chin, lifting it up slightly. "Chin up a bit--" he lefts go and lets his hand fall, "--and may I now hold your shoulders?"

"...Yes."

He pushes them back, gently again, and looks at Tsuna with a firm gaze. "Please straighten your back. It makes you look shorter and submissive."

"Uh, okay--" Tsuna stammers, no longer hunching.

"When you walk, remember to stand tall," Alec says, demonstrating himself. "Arms at your sides, and start to practice walking."

"Huh?"

"Long brisk steps at a medium pace," he elaborates, walking around his desk as an example. "Now Gokudera-san and Yamamoto-san are waiting for you," he motions his chin towards the door. "I prefer to clean alone."

It helps him think less.

"But--"

"Please," Alec insists politely. "Or think of this as repayment for the slap this morning."

"Oh, but, okay, uh--"

"Thank you, Sawada-san," he cuts him off with a slight upturn of his lips, urging the teen to leave.

And once he does, Alec slumps back into his chair with a deep exhale, his head cradled in his hands and Wind curling around shoulders to comfort him.

(Please let the distance be clear enough, he prays.)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.2K 812 40
"THIS IS ALL SO TWO SIDED!! WHEN WILL YOU JUST GET OUT OF MY HEAD?!" "A lot of things from the past will come to haunt you, mentally, physically, or...
1.6M 43.9K 28
*COMPLETED* My head bowed in a heavy mannor, not in respect, but in trepidation. I discern his unwavering gaze over my ill silhouette. "Look at me." ...
571K 35.4K 127
『 Dying of Asphyxiation was seriously not my goal in life. 』 Neither was meeting a Governor of the Afterlife and getting sent to another world for a...
4.9K 155 16
**WARNING** ~contains explicit content that may not be acceptable to all viewers. discretion advised~ "No no no no..." My words trailed "NO!!" I scre...