Stay With Me (Merome)

By amberstars

In the darkest nights of Jerome's life, Mitch has been there for him, a guiding light, a reason to live. Now... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27 (I'm such a bad person pls don't hate omg I'm so sorry love me)
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Epilogue (but it's a flashback because why not?)

Chapter 14 (Happy 15th Chapter! :P)

1.2K 49 40
By amberstars

Jerome's POV

"Jerome. Can I talk to you?" Mrs Hughes asked, and I immediately got off my chair, and moving my suitcase out of the way, followed her.

I was due to fly out with Mitch in several hours, and it was almost time to go.

"Jerome, I know you love my son." Mrs Hughes said matter-of-factly as soon as we were out of the radius of anyone else hearing, and I immediately looked at her in shock. "What?"

"Please don't attempt to deny it, I can see it in your eyes. You worship the ground he walks on."

"Maybe." I muttered, embarrassed, looking at the floor. I didn't realise his family would know so soon, and I respected Mrs. Hughes too much to lie to her. She rested a light, caring hand on my shoulder. "I hope you're successful." She said quietly. I looked up at her. "What?"

"I love you Jerome. I love you like a son, and I know that you'd never try to hurt Mitch. You'd probably put him first, and that is the sort of partner I'd like him to have. Lia... I don't know about the girl, but she gives me a bad feeling. Call it women's intuition, but I don't think she matches Mitch as well as you." I stared at her, relief in my veins. "I know Connor tried to talk to Mitch about it, but he didn't want to listen, so I wanted you to know that if Mitch ever wants to be with you, we, his family, are ready to accept you as soon as we can. You'll both just have to say the wo-" Mrs Hughes stopped abruptly, then looked over my shoulder. "What's going on?" I heard Mitch ask, and I leapt back guiltily. Mitch's mom came to our rescue however, and spoke smoothly. "Oh honey, don't worry! I'm just bonding with my favourite non blood-related son."

"Hey! I thought I was your only one!" I yelped, trying to deflect suspicion, and it seemed to work. Mitch relaxed, and I headed for my suitcase. "Jerome, we're leaving now. Grab your stuff, and leggooo!"

(Time skip all the way to when they touch down in New Jersey because talking about their WiFi usage doesn't interest me too much.)

We hailed down a taxi, one that had the faint scent of tobacco, and gave them my address, then got in. "Look Mitch, I really wanted to ask you, why did you think I was dating Ashley?"

"Because since she left, you've mopey, and you guys spent a lot of time together."

"It was because you were with Lia!"

"Oh. Really?" Mitch asked, but it wasn't with a challenge in his tone. Instead, he sounded a little sheepish. "Yeah. Can we move on now?" I asked, exasperated. He nodded, and we started generalised conversation until we hit my house, before Mitch got out of the car. I started shaffling out as well, before I heard the taxi driver mutter quietly, "I'd say that boy sure is in love." I quickly got out after with a burning face, and handed over appropriate change and tip. "Thank you." I muttered curtly. The taxi driver looked at me. "I wasn't talking about you." He pointed a finger at Mitch, now fetching his stuff out of the boot. "I meant him."

"Why?"

"Because he cares for you boy. He just doesn't know it yet." He muttered gruffly, then took a long inhale on his cigarette. "Stay safe boy." He advised, and I bowed me head. "Thanks." In reality, his words gave me no hope, but he had shared them, and I had to respect that.

I walked in and instantly, my parents were hugging us, and Mitch smiled. "I'm going to get changed for Disney." He grinned, and I smiled back. "Go for it."

As soon as he was up the stairs, I pulled on my parents arms and led them into the kitchen. "I'm gonna do it." They froze. "Do what Jerome?"

"Mitch."

"Jerome, you know we still don't think you should be having sex yet..."

"But... I- wait. What?" I looked at my mom, confused, and she raised an eyebrow. "Oh crap. You're seriously going to take my answer that way? I mean it's related to him!"

"One of his sisters?"

"Oh God, no! Are you kidding me? I'm 23, okay? Seems like an appropriate time, but no. Let's move on. I only meant... I meant I want to tell him how I feel today." I said quietly, and my parents gasped. "Now? Did something happen? Did he and his girlfriend break up?"

"No." I whispered, and Mom laid a hand on me. "Then it's not right. Jerome, we know you love him, but it wouldn't be fair on Lisa-"

"Lia."

"Lia- if you would attempt to take her boyfriend away."

"I'm not, I just want him to know! Half my life Mom, half my life I've loved him! Why can't you see this is the hardest secret that I've ever had to keep to myself is that I love him!" She breathed out loudly, then sighed. "Whatever makes you happy son. Just... I don't want you to have to run back if he hurts you. We'll always accept you, but we'd like you to take the more... Mature path." My mom hugged me, and then I let out a soft sigh. "I'll see. Thanks guys."

(At Disney)

"So. I have this day planned!" We'd left after lunch. "Okay Mitch. It's Space Mountain first, alright?"

"Ugh. But you know I hate the really fast rides in the dark! You never know if something is wrong!" He argued, but relented as we neared it. We waited patiently in line, smiling with a fan, then hopped in, with Mitch next to me. He seemed fine when the ride started, but as we started going up the first mountain of the ride, he gripped my hand tightly. "Please don't let go Jerome." He whispered to me, and I returned it with a squeeze, my face burning heavily in the chilled darkness.

Space Mountain was just the beginning. We kept at it and ran wild on rides for hours, yelling in fear or euphoria, until it was dinner time and Mitch was slowly calming down from sugar rush. "Okay, can we go back now?" He asked, and I checked my watch. "Yeah! I got us somewhere booked for dinner." I replied, and smiled. Mitch began to protest, but I stopped him immediately. "Don't worry Mitch. It's all been sorted!"

We headed to the cheesecake factory where I'd planned out a menu beforehand, and gotten a table reserved. (I am winging this one because I genuinely have little clue about this so don't get mad if my idea is wrong please!) Mitch eyed me down as they whisked us to the table, a little round one in a booth. I took a seat right next to him, and Mitch's eyes lit up as the first course came out. "Mac and Cheese!"

"Yeah, our favourite!" (I was told this, so I blame @Jawsateu if it's wrong :P)

"I love how you still love it, same as me." He laughed, and I returned the grin back. The rest of the night followed with the same easy conversation, and I smiled to myself when Mitch wasn't looking, one of the most genuine and sincere smiles I'd had in a long time. Mitch always returned it, and my heart spent the night fluttering, building up confidence, until we leapt in the car.

I drove home shaking. I would do it. I would do this. This was it. It had to be real, what I was imagining. No. Not imagining. Seeing. I was so sure I was right. I hoped I was.

I stopped in front of the house, and blocked Mitch so he would stay and listen. "Mitch." I whispered, and he looked at me. "Yeah?"

"I love you." I said simply, and he glanced at me. "Okay, very funny Jerome, but I do want to sleep." He muttered, making a move for his door, but I stopped him again. "I'm not kidding. I love you Mitchell." Okay, now we were really getting into the seriousness. I never called him Mitchell unless we were having serious talks. "Jerome, I-" I felt a sudden impulse run through me, and cut Mitch off with a light, passionate kiss. He flinched, then relaxed and returned it, and we sat there until he pushed me off a few seconds later. "I thought you liked it!" I instantly argued, and he let off a sly smile. "I do." He gave me another cheeky peck before his eyes darkened. "No. I don't. I shouldn't. I have Lia. She's my girlfriend. Not you. This isn't right. I've already betrayed her once! What will she say when she finds out I have again?"

"Oh yeah, Lia this, Lia that, what about me? Your best friend who has always been here, always loved you?"

"Fuck you."

"Oh. Thanks." I muttered, trying to keep the hurt out of my voice. "Gosh Jerome! My relationship is on the rocks, and all you can think about is yourself? Grow up! Of course I love you-" Mitch flung his hand to his mouth. "I should not have said that." He whispered, and I tried to put another kiss on his lips, but he dodged. "Just fuck off. I'm leaving. Come back home when you won't try throw yourself on me, you stinking Bacca."

"Do you seriously mean it?"

"I don't know. Maybe. I am going home though." He flung open the door and stepped out, and I sat there, and leaned back. I stayed there until a light went off in Mitch's room, before I scarpered to my own, mulling things over before I sleep took me.

My parents ran up to my room the morning after, bewilderment on their faces. "Jerome, did I just see Mitch leave?" I nodded, and my mom immediately grasped my shoulders and hugged me. "Oh honey, what went wrong last night?"

"Nothing. Other than him remembering he has a girlfriend." I muttered bitterly, and my dad looked at me funny. "Do you really love him?"

"Yes."

"Then why aren't you going after him?" I looked at them blankly. "He told me not to."

"Did anything happen that he didn't try stop?"

"Yeah." They looked at each other then at me. "Go after him," they whispered, then left me alone to think. I stared at where they had been, arguments in my head, before I made my choice. I would go. I would fight to have Mitch, because losing him was not what I wanted, and I didn't think it was what he wanted either. He was made to be mine, and I wouldn't leave until he was.

Wew! Longer chapter! Hope you all enjoyed!

So I'm going on holiday after this update, and I will try publish stuff, but please don't expect it to follow the usual schedule, like there may only be 2 updates in the next few weeks. I can't really write without internet... so if I get desperate, I'll just find a free hotspot and publish the Hunger Games thingy I talked about sooner rather than later.

Shine bright!

Amber

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

86.5K 3.1K 31
A story about Mitch's mixed feelings for Jerome, and how he fears Jerome could reject him and ruin their lifelong friendship.... Will they work their...
6.8K 299 23
Jerome has been keeping a secret from Mitch for a while. He has made a wish to be a girl, that has came true. Now he, and Mitch only know that he is...
28.6K 601 16
Jerome has been in love with Mitch for a while now...but does Mitch feel the same way? Includes hints of Skylox because I can.
10.5K 319 18
All of Team Crafted, or what's left of them, are hanging at the TC house for the summer. Jerome and Mitch, two members of TC, have been best friends...