Turnabout Enemies

By Youngbountygirl

Gregory Edgeworth wakes up at Hotti Hospital to discover that Manfred Von Karma has become the defendant for... More

Introduction
Investigation
Trial Part 1
Trial Part 2
Pre Investigation Day 2
Investigation Day 2 Part 1
Investigation Day 2 Part 2
Break Time!
Trial Day 2 Part 1
Trial Day 2 Part 2
Investigation Day 3 Part 1
Investigation Day 3 Part 2
Investigation Day 3 Part 3
PreTrial Day 3
Trial Day 3 Part 1
Midtrial Day 3 Part 1
Trial Day 3 Part 2
Midtrial Day 3 Part 2
Gregory's Trial Day 3
Break Time! 2
IT'S MEME TIME!!
Blaise Debeste's Trial Day 3 Part 1
Ending
Credits
BONUS!!
Fan Art

Blaise Debeste's Trial Day 3 Part 2

138 3 50
By Youngbountygirl

DECEMBER 28, 10:15 AM
DISTRICT COURTHOUSE
COURTROOM #3

I watched Father approach the Witness Stand. Now, that he was on the Witness Stand, I felt more at ease. Though, I knew the battle wasn't over yet. Debeste was still fighting for his Not Guilty verdict, even with barely a leg to stand on. He will keep fighting until the end. I'll need to use Father's testimony to put Blaise Debeste behind bars once and for all.

Taking a deep breath, I looked straight ahead, waiting for Mr. Hammond to take his possition, before I began.

"Name and occupation," I said, noticing how more quiet my voice became. I almost felt embarrassed.

"Gregory Edgeworth. Defense Attorney at Edgeworth Law Offices," Father responded confidently.

I swallowed my throat. Why do I feel so nervous? Is it because Father is watching me? In the past, he's always been by my side or in front of me. Now, he's facing me. He maybe a Witness, but I felt incredibly self-consciousness. I normally have never felt pressured by everyone staring at me, but this felt so different, now that Father was at the Witness Stand. (1)

"It's alright, Miles. You're doing great. Keep going," I heard Mr. Von Karma whisper. I saw Father and he also smiled and nodded encouragingly. I nodded in response, then drank some water to moisten my throat.

"Y-You have worked under the Defendant nine years ago as a Smuggler. You were also aware of the Child Trafficking he participated in."

"Yes, as was stated in my previous trial. I've got a record of my previous trial," Father confirmed, handing it to the Fancy Judge.

"Hm... I see. Very well, I shall submit this into the Court Record," the Fancy Judge nodded before the bailiff handed a copy to Mr. Hammond and me. I smiled. Father was given a Not Guilty verdict as an Accomplice for murder, due to proof of his immediate action to collude with the Defense Attorney, Robert Hammond. Though, there was something in the Trial Record I wanted to place into question.

"Fath- ahm I mean... Witness," I said. I didn't want to call Father by his full name, since it would sound very weird. "According to your trial record, you were given a Not Guilty verdict, due to immediate action to break Conflict of Interest and collude with the Defense Attorney of Rachael Newslayday."

"WHAT!?!" Debeste shouted, slamming the bench as Mrs. Debeste cackled.

"Greggy dear, you truly are a cockroach," Mrs. Debeste laughed from the Witness Bench.

"OBJECTION!" I slammed my hands on the bench at the Debeste's, saying, "I object to the interruption of Ms. Debeste! If I may continue, neither her or the Defendant are allowed to speak, while I'm talking to the Witness!"

"Objection sustained. You may continue and no more talking out of the both of you," the Fancy Judge replied as the unstable couple shot glares at each other.

"As I was saying, one of the decisive evidence of this is a fax written to you by the Defense Attorney, Robert Hammond. It reads, 'The video footage you handed me is showing static. I also cannot read the lips of the woman on camera. Are you sure this is the right copy? Perhaps you should run this by Mrs. Debeste and see if it can be fixed.' Mrs. Debeste is mentioned in this fax. Can you tell the court why?" I asked.

"OBJECTION! That fax has no barring to this case!" Mr. Hammond objected.

"I have to agree. I don't see how this has any barring to this case," the Fancy Judge agreed.

"It may seem that way right now, Your Honor. But, this was released at the date the Defendant put an innocent woman to her death. To say it has no barring to the case without looking it over would be imprudent, wouldn't you agree?" I asked as the Fancy Judge looked at me, then at Mr. Von Karma.

"I have no objections," Mr. Von Karma assured.

"Very well. You may proceed then," the Fancy Judge replied.

"Thank you, Your Honor," I bowed, then continued. "Witness, I'd like you to testify about why Mrs. Debeste was mentioned in the fax."

"Very well," Father replied. "Mr. Hammond was asking me about the tape that would've been the decisive evidence against Rachael Newslayday."

"The video had static and it was hard to read the lips of the woman on camera. You couldn't hear the voice of the woman either. I suppose Mr. Hammond was trying to find other possibilities at the time."

"HOLD IT! What makes you think I was searching for other possibilities?" Mr. Hammond asked.

"Mentioning Anna was a giveaway," Father replied.

"So, you believe mentioning Mrs. Debeste was a giveaway. May I ask how?"

"Because I never introduced you to her. In fact, I don't recall either one of you having met at any point in time."

"Y-You don't!?" The Fancy Judge gasped as I began hearing murmurs in the background.

"HOLD IT!" Mr. Hammond shouted. "I've known about the Debeste's for quite a while. Mrs. Debeste had intended on hiring me to file a lawsuit against her husband for Domestic Violence."

"Is that so!?" The Fancy Judge asked with widened eyes.

"This is a first for me, though I'm not surprised," Father stated.

"I would like to hear from the Defense on why he brought up Mrs. Debeste at all in the fax message," I stated.

"An... error, so to speak," Mr. Hammond replied.

"Error?"

"I had thought the woman in the video was Mrs. Debeste, so I had assumed she'd be a Witness to the case. I never mentioned this before, because it had no barring on the case."

"Huh, I suppose it makes sense. The video is hard to decipher who the woman is. You can only see her from the bottom half of her face," the Fancy Judge stated.

"HOLD IT! I have an issue with the Defense's claim," I stated.

"An issue?" Mr. Hammond asked, furrowing his eyebrows in confusion.

"Why would you mistaken your client for someone else that has no barring to her case? Just watching the video itself, you can see that the driver's hair is long and white."

"Actually, I... hm... that's a good question. I'll need some time to remember," (2) Mr. Hammond replied, his eyes widened as he began thinking hard. "Oh, now I remember.  Mrs. Debeste got herself into a car accident with a few minor injuries. I had met with her at the hospital the day before taking Rachael Newslayday's case."

"Are you serious!? This is the first time I'm hearing anything about this!" Father asked Mr. Hammond furiously. Could it be...?

"Really? I..." Mr. Hammond replied, then had some time thinking before showing a glare. "I see. Your honor, I have a theory. While Gregory Edgeworth was proven Not Guilty to being an accomplice to my former client's murder, I have reason to believe that there is still an accomplice." (3)

"Still an accomplice?" The Fancy Judge asked, furrowing his eyebrows. Mrs. Debeste glared dangerously at Mr. Hammond.

"The woman in the video was falsified evidence. I have reason to believe that the woman in the tape was not my client, but the accomplice," Mr. Hammond replied.

"I have no objections to that possibility, but unfortunately, there's no evidence to prove who the mysterious woman in the video is," I stated.

"OBJECTION! I believe there is in the video!" Mr. Hammond stated.

"Do you believe you can find evidence in the video?"

"Who do you take me for, Miles? Show me that video and I can point out the contradiction and the real culprit," Mr. Hammond stated boldly.

"Then, the Prosecution has no objections," I replied with a smirk of my own.

"Very well. Bailiff, bring out the video tape of the car accident!" The Fancy Judge ordered, slamming his gavel.

The bailiff brought out the third tape Father kept preserved under his office. It was placed inside the VCR and the video began to play. I watched the tape with the rest of the audience. It was the same recording I saw when the Von Karma's and I were investigating the preserved evidence. I couldn't see the contradiction. All I saw was a silent film of a woman with only half her face driving recklessly.

"Stop!" Mr. Hammond shouted as the bailiff stopped the video tape to where the woman's was leaning forward. He walked up to the screen, then pointed to what looked to be like a dark red splotch on the back of her neck. I didn't even see that! "There's your proof. My client had no visible marks on her. I presented this in court nine years ago." (4)

"I remember. I was the one you cross-examined at the time. There were no visible marks on the Defendant, despite there being one on the back of the neck of the woman driving the car," Father agreed. So, Mr. Hammond mentioned this in court when defending Mother? (5)

"But, there was one woman, who did have many visible marks on her body, including the back of her neck," Mr. Hammond stated, turning his eyes on Mrs. Debeste. No way!

"Do you have proof this specific woman had that kind of mark on her on the day of the accident?" I asked.

"I do. In fact, I still have the picture she gave to me the day before and why I had believed her to be the woman in the video," Mr. Hammond replied with his devilish smirk, showing a photo of the back of Anna Debeste's neck, which showed the same physical red mark shown on the driver. "This was supposed to be used as proof for her lawsuit against her husband." This caused murmuring from the gallery.

The Fancy Judge slammed the gavel, shouting, "order! Order! Mr. Hammond, why have you not shown that picture until now!?" (6)

"I was blackmailed," Mr. Hammond confessed as I noticed Mrs. Debeste's anger flaring, eyes and face turning red. "Mrs. Debeste threatened that she would make sure Gregory would get the Death Penalty for murder." His face was filled with guilt.

"Robert..." Father said quietly.

"It's also the reason why I took in my current client before. I was foolish and a coward. I couldn't bare losing Gregory in the same way as his father. Regardless, I will defend my client, but I will do so fairly. I will start by indicting this woman as the accomplice to the frame and  murder of my former client, Rachael  Newslayday, and the genocide she was punished for." (7)

"You... so, you're willing to take away my child's mother!?" Mrs. Debeste shouted angrily.

"Your child deserves better parents, if I had to be honest. I don't care how much you love your kid or if you weren't a smuggler, you're no better than them. Anna Debeste, your blackmailing days are over!" Mr. Hammond cried boldly, pointing his finger at her.

"You.... neh.... you think you're safe? I will make sure that you pay. You think Gregory is safe!?Hehehehe he still murdered Patricka Roland! He still murdered three others in the Ring! Even now, he still has skeletons in his closet! I WILL MAKE YOU SEE WHAT IT'S LIKE TO HAVE EVERYTHING YOU HELD DEAR BE STRIPPED FROM YOU, ROBERT HAMMOND!!" Anna Debeste roared at Mr. Hammond, her hair flying everywhere and all her makeup melting off her face.

I used my arms to cover my face as I heard a chuckling from Debeste, saying, "it's over, Dear. Perhaps, it's your turn to learn how to lose."

"Put a sock in it!" Mrs. Debeste cried, taking out her pen and throwing it at her husband, who used his arm to block the attack. She smirked devilishly, "See you in hell" before being taken into custody by the police.

"So, it seems that the real accomplice was the wife," the Fancy Judge stated.

"Th-That changes nothing! The Ringleader is still the Defendant. As proven from the evidence found under the Witness' office, the Defendant confessed to his crime and motive. He may've not directly caused genocide, but he still planned it and used his wife to carry out his plans," I stated.

"OBJECTION! There are still questions left to be answered. One of those questions is why your blood was found in the trashcans in the first place," Mr. Hammond pointed out.

"Actually, I've been wondering about that too," Father agreed.

I paused on that. Then, I replied, "I have a theory."

"A theory?" Mr. Hammond asked, raising his eyebrows.

"I was hit on the head with a ladder, which is made of metal. The question that has yet to be answered is what happened to the wooden box," I said.

Mr. Hammond pounded the counter, stating, "it was already discussed during Mr. Von Karma's trial that the wooden box was burned."

"I read the case report and it was only a theory from Father that had yet to be proven," I replied.

"The scorch marks prove-"

I pounded the counter, shouting, "the scorch marks prove the stove was used! Mr. Hammond, since you're so smart, answer me this: how were they able to burn a wooden box that can carry a four foot five kid without burning the whole bloody building!?"

"...."

"It takes time to burn anything wood and there's the risk of some larger pieces falling onto the floor or catching the curtain or wallpaper on fire! Theories are possibilities based on evidence! Because the stove was scorched with some burnt debris, using the stove became the only possibility at the time! Now, that we have this trial against Blaise Debeste, with new evidence of the trashcans and clothes line, we have discovered a new possibility!" (8)

"A new... possibility?" Mr. Hammond questioned.

"Yes! Now, that my blood has been found in the trashcans in the back of the building,  there's a possibility that the wooden box might've been burned inside those trashcans in different pieces."

"You believe your blood was transferred to the trashcans from the wooden box you were kept in?" Father asked, his eyebrows rose.

"It's the only explanation. After all, the box itself can't be burned with fire onto the stove without risking burning the entire building. The only way to control the fire is by breaking the wooden box into pieces, then burn one piece before dropping it into the trashcan itself. In this case, it would've been multiple trashcans." (9)

"OBJECTION! Even if that were true, your blood would've been burned along with the wood, making it impossible for any forensics to pick it up!" Mr. Hammond replied.

"OBJECTION! I wouldn't say that!" I replied with a small smirk. "Keep in mind that the dry bloodstains that were from me were small and located in the hidden crevices of the trashcans and the bottom of the lids."

"OBJECTION! That doesn't explain why the trashcans are still covered in blood! Even if that blood doesn't belong to you, the trashcans were still covered in it!"

"OBJECTION! That blood was new, meaning that it became covered after the trashcans were used to burn the wooden box!"

"Ngh!" Mr. Hammond responded, taken aback.

"Hm... I have to agree with the Prosecution on this one," the Fancy Judge stated.

"Does that answer your question?" I asked Mr. Hammond.

"... the Defense has no Objections," Mr. Hammond said.

"You can't be serious!" Debeste complained. (10)

"Witness, I do have one question I would like you to answer. Since leaving the Ring, have you ever felt threatened by the Defendant?" I asked.

"... yes," Father replied.

"I'd like you to testify what it is that the Defendant has done that made you feel threatened, since leaving the Smuggling Ring," I stated.

Father was silent, but nodded. He started, "First, he sent his wife to blackmail me, using the Rachael  Newslayday Case." (11)

"HOLD IT! That would be the case you had just got done finishing, am I correct?" Mr. Hammond asked.

"That's correct. As I said, Miles was my biggest concern, since he didn't have anyone to go to, if anything were to happen to me," Father admitted with a small, sad smile.

"What else has the Defendant done?"I asked.

"Blaise had also attempted to murder my son on several accounts," Father replied.

"HOLD IT! Was that during the DL-6 Case?" Mr. Hammond asked.

"That's one of them, but there were also other times he tried taking my son's life."

"This is the first time I've heard about this. When did it happen?" I asked, raising my eyebrows. Debeste tried to kill me before?

"The first time, he hired an assassin when you were only an infant. Technically speaking, there is still a target on you."

There was a murmuring in the gallery. An assassin tried to kill me? I felt myself shaking. How...?

"Don't worry, that assassin won't do anything. I made sure of that," Father replied. Do I even want to know how?

"HOLD IT! I'd like to know the name of this assassin!" Mr. Hammond said. (12)

"Shelly De Killer. As I've stated, I made sure he wouldn't lay a hand on my son. Though, the target still exists as long as Blaise still lives," Father said. (13)

"That's absurd! If my client did hire Shelly De Killer, your son would be dead and wouldn't you have the calling card?" Mr. Hammond argued.

"... unfortunately, I don't have it."

"Just as I thought."

"OBJECTION! Of course he doesn't have it. I'm still alive, aren't I? Shelly De Killer is a deadly assassin, but also does not leave his calling cards until AFTER he finishes his task. As the Witness has stated, there is still a target on me, meaning the task has not been yet completed." (14)

"He's right," Father replied.

"Then, how can we know if your son is safe or not? Also, why did you  fail to report this?" Mr. Hammond asked.

"I couldn't... I only had met him once one night when he was trying to assassinate my son. I can't say the reason why he didn't proceed to kill his target. If I do, then he will proceed to kill his target." (15)

"So, you're saying that even now, De Killer may assassinate the boy, if you state the reason on why he isn't?" The Fancy Judge asked.

"OBJECTION! That is still baseless! There's no evidence to prove if my client hired an assassin against the Witness' son or not!" Mr. Hammond argued. (16)

He's right. Father doesn't have any proof and as long as there is still a target on me, there's no way for him to state why Shelly De Killer isn't pursuing me. Even Mr. Hammond would never risk my life like that. What should I do? How do I proceed from here?

"Is everything alright, Miles?" Mr. Von Karma asked.

"I don't know what to do from here. There's no proof that the Defendant did hire an assassin against me. My father's words are the only proof we have," I replied.

"Then, that is all the proof we need. Continue on and proceed with the Witness' Testimony. You already have the Defendant on the ropes. If you can't solve this problem, go on to the next one and come back to it later."

"Okay," I replied. I looked at Father. "Continue."

"After that, there were a series of threats against my family and myself," Father stated.

"HOLD IT! What kind of threats?" Mr. Hammond asked.

"Blackmail mostly. Because I was a former Smuggler and Ringleader, the Smuggling Ring itself was willing to take me out and the rest of them. I couldn't risk something like that."

"HOLD IT! By rest of them, you are meaning your family?" I asked.

"Correct," Father stated.

"I want you to add that to your testimony."

"Because I was a former Smuggler and Ringleader, the Smuggling Ring itself was willing to take me out and the rest of my family. I couldn't risk something like that," Father added to his testimony.

"OBJECTION! Aside from your son, I don't recall your parents' or sister's lives being targeted by the Smuggling Ring. In fact, they don't even have any knowledge of it," Mr. Hammond stated.

"That's because I never said anything about my parents or sister. I said family and it isn't just Miles."

"Who are you referring to by family?"I asked.

"... former smugglers."

"F-Former smugglers!? You refer to them as your family?" The Fancy Judge asked.

"We go way back to when we went to Themis Legal Academy. Some of them were traitors that had to be taken out."

"HOLD IT! But, aren't the ones taken out all dead?" Mr. Hammond asked.

"Not all of them. Some of them were lucky enough to escape by having allies from within the Ring. Though, they had to disappear afterwards. Eventually, the head of the Ring realized this and had been doing some deep investigating on the Ringleaders with the job of taking them out."

"And, that would include you?" I asked, presenting the Documentation of Patricka Roland's Extermination.

"That's right. After all, all I did was sign a piece of paper to make the claim that I took her out. There were no Witnesses to confirm that. I could've just simply warned Ms. Roland of her extermination and paid for her flight to escape out of the country."

"I knew it! You've been sneaking out escapees the moment you joined the Ring!" Debeste spouted, getting up from his seat.

"I didn't know where they were. I only helped them escape and no more."

"LIAR! You knew exactly where they were and still do!"

I knew it! Father never murdered Patricka Roland or any of the others he was ordered to take out! Then, that would mean...

"Witness, I'd like to go back to your previous statement about the Defendant sending an assassin after me as a baby," I said.

"I thought we went over this already. It is only baseless conjecture!" Mr. Hammond stated.

"It was, but now it's different... because now we have a motive."

"A motive?"

"As of right now, we don't have any physical evidence to prove it, but it is not needed right now. What is needed, however, is a motive. The Defendant would send an assassin after me, if only because it was the only way to control Father and find the other ex smugglers," I stated, slamming both my hands onto the counter.

"Over my own dead body," Father stated boldly.

"But Father, think about it! What if I was murdered by the Defendant right now? You'd be going after the Defendant, wouldn't you?"

"Of course I would!"

"Exactly! And, would you do it alone?" (17)

I watched as Father's eyebrows began furrowing, his frown becoming much more stiff. He looks angry. He must've understood what I meant. He nodded, turning to Debeste.

"So, that's why you've been trying to keep me alive, while trying to target my child," Father said coldly.

"I told you, Greg. You're too soft. All it takes is having someone you hold dear be taken from you and you will come back to me... whether you realize it or not," Debeste smirked devilishly. He intended on Father going after him from the start. He knew Father would involve the ex smugglers.

"Except you made one miscalculation. You tried to target me and you failed to do so. You tried to kidnap me and I escaped. You tried to kidnap me a second time and failed. Father was able to protect me from you or even the assassin that you hired," I stated.

"You've got it wrong, kid. I'm not finished with you, yet."

"You are! During this trial, we have proven your involvement in Child Trafficking, attempted kidnapping, the murder of Yanni Yogi, falsely charging Mother for a crime you and your wife committed and made several attempts on my life! All of this is for the sake of protecting the Ring from the ex cons that were smart enough to leave that criminal organization! What's more, you failed to destroy the evidence against you!" I exclaimed, pounding my hands on the counter.

"Except you forget about the accusations against your father! Your mother is dead thanks to him, or did you forget!"

"I think you need to get yourself checked by a doctor for being brain dead throughout this trial. Father has been declared Not Guilty for being an Accomplice to Mother's murder, due to his lack of knowledge and having colluded with the Defense Attorney right after gaining knowledge of the murder. While he was an accomplice of forgery, the stature of limitation for forgery is five years and the crime was committed nine years ago."

"Grrrrr!"

"Or, perhaps instead of getting your brain checked, you should contribute to helping your wife by paying for her medical insurance on those injuries or finding someone to raise your kid, while you and your wife rot together happily in prison. Unfortunately, Father isn't going to be joining you. There's no Stature of Limitation for Child Trafficking and as long as there is proof, you're only delaying the inevitable."

"Bold words coming from a child. The verdict hasn't even been decided."

"Yet," I smirked, looking at Mr. Hammond. "Does the Defense have any objections?"

"... no."

"Excuse me!"

"You just admitted your crime. I can't help you," Mr. Hammond shrugged, showing a small smile. 

"Debeste, it's time to pay for your crimes! (18) It's over."

"Grrrrrrrrrrr you... just like your father.... talented and foolish. Worst of all, you're a demon like your mother. You BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!" Debeste screamed as the sound waves could be heard and felt throughout the courtroom.

Father found himself holding onto the bench of the Witness Stand and Mr. Von Karma doing the same to the Prosecution Stand. The Fancy Judge was hiding under his own bench from Debeste's furry. The rest of the gallery were panicking in a frenzy. I just stood there bored. I was getting sick of this guy throwing a temper tantrum over his own grave he dug himself and is still digging himself deeper. I could feel my hair blowing back from the waves of Debeste's screams until he was nothing but a mess of hair, no beard and a wrinkly mess. I could only sigh, crossing my arms.

"Are you done yet?" I asked, tapping my foot.

"Oh, you think you're so brave, don't you? Heh, you're nothing, but a smart ass runt," Debeste glared, his last attempt to try to scare me.

"Not really. I may've been brave before when you were trying to kidnap me and hunting me down like an animal, but right now I'm not, because I'm not even scared of you anymore," I said as Debeste kept his glare, his hands shaking. "If anything, you look like a pathetic whore who didn't get his sugar daddy money. Sorry, but Father's not going to bed with you anytime soon," I shrugged, showing a smirk of my own. (19)

"Gah! Edgeworth, please tell me you didn't teach your son that...." Mr. Von Karma said, looking completely flabbergasted. Don't know why. I mean Debeste really did use Father like some sugar daddy. (20)

"... no comment," Father stated, showing a small smirk. 

"Harsh words, but I suppose there is some truth to it," The Fancy Judge stated. "Since the Defense has no objections, the verdict for Blaise Debeste is...

G U I L T Y

"Court is now adjourned!" The Fancy Judge stated, slamming his gavel to end the trial. From there, Blaise Debeste was taken in and escorted to prison. As for Anna Debeste, she was scheduled a court date in two days.

I found myself running to Father as he lifted me into his arms with a big warm hug. I never wanted to let him go again. Father is going to stay with me until I became an adult. Right now, that was the only thing I wanted. No matter what happens to either of us, I wanted us to stay like this until that moment. Nothing else mattered.

"I love you, Father," I said in his suit, trying not to cry, but realized that the tears threatened to leak out.

"I love you too, Miles," Father spoke to me in a whisper, cupping my face. "Now and forevermore."

I nodded happily as I closed my eyes. Father then took me to the Defendant's Lobby, while still holding me. I was content with this.

AFTER STORY NOTES: 

1. Even though Miles is feeling more at ease with Anna Debeste gone, he's feeling nervous and self-conscious with his father being a Witness. Miles is supposed to treat his father as a Witness, even though that's his father. It would be like if  you realized your parent was your boss or teacher and have to call them Mr./Ms. Insert name. Miles is used to his father being by his side, not being treated as a Defendant or Witness.

2. It happened nine years ago, so it is possible that Robert Hammond might have a difficult time remembering certain details.

3. In other words, now that  the News of  Anna  Debeste having been in a car accident and  Robert Hammond having mistaken the woman in the tape of the moment of the genocide accident, there is now a new possibility. The reason Robert Hammond didn't think about this one before is because he had thought before that Rachael was the  guilty person. By the time  Robert Hammond found out she was innocent, it had already  been a few months. The car accident Anna Debeste had flew right over his head or had already been discussed.

4. That mark is the reason Robert Hammond had believed the woman in the video was Anna Debeste.

 5. Again, at the time, Robert Hammond really thought Rachael Newslayday did kill all those people in her sister's car. So, presenting the contradiction to the evidence at the time led to something far different than it really was.

6. The Judge is talking about earlier during Debeste's trial, not  during Rachael Newslayday's trial. There would have been no way of anyone knowing that there was a connection.

7.  Robert Hammond is now realizing that  he was wrong to think he could trust Blaise and his wife to not sweep Gregory under the rug or hurt his son. He still intends on defending Blaise, as his client, but he will do so fairly and question all possibilities.

8. A lot of times, that's what happens in real life. New evidence and testimony can open up new possibilities and theories.

9. Basically, the box was broken into many small pieces, placed into individual trashcans, then torched inside the trashcans. The metal of the trashcans would prevent the fire from spreading. If the wooden box had been caught on fire on the stove, the fire would spread   onto the walls, wallpaper of the building or any curtains, if there were any.  Gregory only knew that the box was burned by the stove.  There wasn't any proof that the wood could've been burned at another location.

10. Debeste no longer has a hold on Robert Hammond. In other words, Debeste is a sitting duck at this point. He has to  now be in the same kind of position as every other Defendant that's ever been placed on trial.

11. While Blaise was the one making the threats, his wife Anna was the messenger woman. Yes, they do abuse and manipulate each other, but they're also kinda like Bonnie and Clyde when you think about it. 

12. This is also the first time  Robert heard of this. 

13. Yep, Shelly is sorta involved with this. Don't worry, he won't be targeting Gregory Edgeworth. So far, Gregory hasn't done anything to get Shelly's attention... yet.

14. In other words, there is still a target on Miles and Shelly could take him out at any moment, but can't for some reason.

15. In other words, Gregory can't just report his son is being targeted or anything, because then Shelly De Killer will kill Miles for real. In other words, even though Miles has a target on him by Shelly De Killer, it's also being delayed. Gregory can't reveal why. He would betray Shelly's trust and we all know what happens when you betray Shelly De Killer. Gregory is allowed  to say that Shelly  has tried to  kill Miles  and  is  still  a target, but that's it. Shelly De Killer wants to be the one to take the credit for all his assassinations, even if they haven't happened yet.

16. Robert Hammond is saying this to  protect Miles from Shelly deciding to no longer delay his target. He doesn't want to risk Miles' life.

17. What Miles is stating is that  Gregory would gain help from the ex smugglers to take down Blaise Debeste, if he was to ever murder Miles. Gregory can't accomplish things alone.

18. For those of you that know the reference get a cookie.

19. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh!  MEGA BURN! 

20. Manfred means the meaning of whore and sugar daddy. Keep in mind that Miles is 8 years old and knows the meaning of whore and sugar daddy. This  hints that even though Gregory does provide structure and rules for Miles, it doesn't mean his way of raising his son doesn't go unorthodoxy once in a while. Not to say it's bad parenting, in fact it can be considered better parenting than if he were to go by the books, but it is a different way of parenting. In this case, Miles isn't cussing in the house, but in court. So, Gregory saying, "no comment" is his way of saying, "it's not my decision whether or not my son is allowed." In  other words, the Judge is the one that can decide to allow Miles' shenanigans or not. In this case, Miles does have a good argument in that he was defending himself from the Defendant's insults by throwing insults back at him. If the Judge didn't want Miles to say anything, then he should've held the Defendant for Contempt of Court. Also, Miles did get away with spouting a few jabs at Robert Hammond. Btw, I do not recommend cursing in court. You can be held for Contempt of Court.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

WHISTLE By sagetolu

Mystery / Thriller

1.8K 288 21
Tolu majiyagbe resigns his job at The FBI and returns to his country to Investigate the recent Murders of "Whistle Blowers" in the country. the recen...
17.9K 498 34
YANDER bxb w/ a side of Stockholm syndrome where the villain wins and the city burns... (also Hero x Villain) Tarian's father goes crazy and kills h...
470K 23.1K 80
(CAPTURED SERIES #2) "I had enough of this toxicity!" she yelled at him. "I'm a toxic man, lyubov and I would like to be with you in a toxic relation...
2.9K 97 38
Piper Edgeworth is a fifteen-year-old girl, as well as the daughter of famous prosecutor, Miles Edgeworth. Ever since Phoenix Wright helped her fathe...