Meant To Be #Wattys2015

By isabella_linner

What happens when your father is a famous Hollywood director and no one knows about it? And two step sisters... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11 - Mark
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Wattys2015

Chapter 10

180 8 0
By isabella_linner

Chapter 10

“Morning!” I said sleepily as I dragged myself to the chair and literally slumped into it. Sleep had been hard to come, even after taking painkillers. Every time I closed my eyes, the scene played before me, only this time I was a casual bystander, watching the whole thing.

“Someone’s sleepy..” Mai commented with a smirk. I just groaned.

“Ani? Sweetheart, are you okay?” mom said with a concerned frown. I struggled to heave myself up and sit straight.

“Yeah, just couldn’t sleep.” I said with a strained smile. Though her expression relaxed, she still looked a little bit worried.

“Morning!” Gigi chirped as she skipped into the kitchen. Mum’s frown instantly vanished as she smiled at her.

“Morning sweetheart!” she replied in the same tone, making Gigi’s smile even wider.

“Pass me the coffee, please?” I asked Mai. Her smirk widened but she passed me the mug none-the-less. “Thanks” I replied as I practically gulped it down.

“Hey, easy there!” Mai started, but I ignored her.

“Okay, I’m off to school.” I said as I stood up to get my bag.

“What about breakfast?” mum asked, looking worried.

“Not really hungry.” When she opened her mouth to argue, I shook my head at her. “Okay look, I’ll take a granola bar with me. Happy?” I asked as I made a show of picking it up. She cracked a smile.

“Yes, I am.”

“Good. See you guys!” I called as I walked out of the kitchen.

“Have a good day!” my mum called back. I shook my head as a small smile came to my face, which disappeared as soon as I stepped out on the porch.

“What are you doing here?” were the first words out of my mouth.

“Good morning Anya. How are you feeling?” Replied Mark with an amused smile. My cheeks heated up in embarrassment.

“Sorry, it’s just seeing you here like this…” I trailed off, not knowing what to say.

“It’s alright.” He said with an amused smile. I smiled back hesitantly. “Let’s do it again, shall we?” he asked. I nodded. “Good morning Anya. How are you feeling?” he repeated.

“Good morning Mark. I’m feeling better.” I answered with a smile. “Now, what are you doing here?” I asked. His smile widened.

“I’m here to pick you up for school.” He said with flourish, spreading his arms wide on both the sides.

“Uh, why?” I asked, confused. He dropped his hands, but kept the smile. Oh god, that smile! I almost stuttered at the site of it. Surely he knows what it’s doing to me? My internal monologue was interrupted when Mark spoke again.

“You were going to school, right?” he asked. I nodded, still confused. If possible, his smile widened even further. Be still, my beating heart. “Well, I’m going the same way. Thought I’d give you a ride.” I resisted the urge to point out that he lived in the opposite direction.

“Why are you really here?” I asked instead. His smile dropped a little, I ignored my disappointment at that. He thought about it before replying.

“Because I wanted to.” He simply said. I guess he must’ve caught the shocked expression on my face for he smiled again and leaned away from his car and walked towards me. I looked at him, wise-eyed as he stopped mere inches from me. I willed myself to stand still as he leaned towards me, his warm breath blowing in my ear as he spoke. I tried not to focus on his closeness to me and rather what he was saying.

“Because, I’m starting to like you.” This time, I couldn’t control my shiver.

'*'*'*'

“So, how was your project?” Lis asked as I took out my books from the locker.

“Hm? What project?” I asked distractedly, looking for my Chemistry book.

“The project that made you stay over at Mark’s house yesterday?” she asked in an amused tone. I almost dropped my book in shock.

“Wha.. What?” I stuttered almost breathlessly.

“Your project? With Mark?” she repeated with an eyebrow raised in inquisition. I sighed.

“Who told you?” I asked.

“Your mum told my mum who told me.” she replied cheerfully. Right, mums work together.

“Well, it’s a long story and I’m late for class.” I said as she opened her mouth to argue. “I’ll talk to you in lunch, okay? I promise!” I almost pouted. At first she gave me a narrow-eyed glance, then, after what felt like an eternity she gave me a smile.

“Okie doky!” she almost bounced. I shook my head at her antics. Crazy girl. I hurried towards my class when someone suddenly stepped in my way. When I tried sidestepping them, they simply blocked me again. I sighed and looked up.

“Hey” said the one and only Richmond Meyers aka Richy aka the kind of guy who wouldn’t even have noticed me, let alone given me the time of the day. But that was before Mark Ashford took a special interest in me. I sighed.

“Hey” I replied and tried sidestepping again, only to be blocked again, only this time he leaned in. Gosh, this is getting really frustrating.

“I haven’t seen you around here. Are you new?” he asked in what I think was supposed to be his sexy voice, but it came out like he had a bad throat. I smiled sweetly at him and tried to reign in my temper. I guess lack of sleep puts you in one hell of a mood.

“Hi, no I’ve been in the same school as you since kindergarten. And can you please take a step back, you’re kind of in my personal space?” I asked in a no-nonsense tone. I think it caught him off guard for he actually took a step back. “Now that we’ve cleared that you’re a generally unaware person, can you please move? I’d like to get to my class on time.” I finished my rant with a solid glare to convey my thoughts to him more, uh, forcefully.

“Now listen here…” he started in a rather loud voice as he towered over me but he never got to finish it for he was yanked backwards and away from me. Before I even had time to process what was happening, Richy was lying in a heap and someone stood before me like a wall. I don’t know how, but I instinctively knew who it was.

“Mark” I said in a near whisper. He relaxed a little and turned towards me. His face was still hard as stone, but it went soft as soon as he took me in.

“Anya, you okay?” he asked me softly, his hand cupping my cheek gently. I shivered at his touch and leaned in without thinking.

“I’m fine.” I said softly. “Really” I added when I saw that he wasn’t believing me.

“Okay, good.” He replied softly, his thumb gently brushing at the dark circles underneath my eye. It was then when I finally regained my senses and leaned away from him. His hand stayed there in the air for a few seconds before he finally pulled it back.

“I, uh, didn’t sleep well last night.” I found myself explaining despite myself.

“I can see that.” He replied, his face tightening with anger. I turned away from him.

“You didn’t need to do that. I could’ve handled him just fine.” I finally said, trying to find some footing in the situation.

“I knew you would’ve, but I just couldn’t stand there and do nothing.” He replied, his voice right next to my ear. I jumped slightly at the sudden closeness.

“Well, then thanks.” I muttered as I walked away without glancing at him. All the way, I could feel his eyes on me but I just kept walking.

He’s twisting me in all kinds of knots, and god help me, but I’m starting to like it.

I'm awesome, aren't I? Well, I know that I took an awfully long time to update, but exams are here and I've just been really swamped with work.

So, to make up for the laziness, I've uploaded a brand new and rather long chapter! So enjoy! :)

I'll see you guys soon, hopefully ;)

Until then, vote and comment!

Anna

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

84 19 10
Verena Lee, famous singer and a bold, money hungry member of the band The Heartstrings, a group of six girls, talented and beautiful. She's got a per...
54.7K 4.1K 50
She's a secret that the rockstar is unaware of, what happens when she's finally brave enough to paint his town red? • • • Reserved and quiet Tetris P...
159 20 12
In the glittering world of fame and fortune, five individuals from diverse backgrounds find their lives intertwined by the pursuit of success, love...
1.5K 232 38
Spin-off to "Big Yellow Door" but could be read as a standalone. ♡♡♡♡ I was labelled as the girl who got fame as heritage or the one who couldn't sta...