affluenza (1.) | ✔️

By joeyyyyyy101

"This story is about the boy I loved. This is about his suffering. This is about my suffering. All of it due... More

Extended Summary
AUTHORS NOTE
Songs and Aesthetics
Prologue // Braylen Adams
Prologue // Sebastian Grey
Dry-humping and Balconies
Talk Me Down
Sebastian v. Braylen
Fourth Grade All Over Again
Not Friends-Zone
Surf's Up
Blues
Runaway
Ash's Bash
Realization
Who You Are
Together
Clean Up
All Washed Up
The Great Chlorine Caper
Mashed Potatoes and Music Rooms
Little Rainbow
The Ruining
Turkey Day
Family
Waltz
Interlude // Braylen Adams
Interlude // Sebastian Grey
Santa's Speedo
Make-ups at Moku
Plans
Boyfriends
Size Thirteen In Men's
Okay Days
Wipeout
Feel The Same
Chain Reaction
Where You Go
Worth
The Trouble with Trust
Hiro
Never Really Over
Yet
Start Over
Will Power
Double Negative = Positive
Interlude // Braylen Adams
Interlude // Sebastian Grey
The View
Hometown
Prince of Malibu
Nothing Else
To Be Good Enough
Pretty
In and Out
The Big One-Eight
Evan North
Because of You
Nothing
The Ball
Half-Happy Ending
Epilogue // Braylen Adams
Epilogue // Sebastian Grey
AUTHORS NOTE
***
SEQUEL!!!!!

Drive-in Disasters

597 33 31
By joeyyyyyy101

        "OKAY, WHAT ABOUT this?" I ask, twirling around for Bethany and Robyn. I was in a pair of overalls and a white shirt, paired with white Vans and my typical assortment of rings. "Too much?"

        Bethany laughs as she shoves chips in her mouth. "You look like you belong in Children of the Corn!"

        "What's that?" Robyn asks, already laughing. That's how Robyn was though. She always laughed even before she understood the joke.

        I stick my middle finger up at Beth, going back into the closet to change as she explains it, Robyn. I shrug off the overalls and grab a tan sweater and light blue jeans instead. I walk back into my bedroom and sigh. "Satisfactory?"

        "Much better," Robyn says, grinning. "Though, you really do need a haircut. It's nearly past your shoulders, babes."

        I make a face at her. I was very sensitive about haircuts ever since I got a bowl cut in the seventh grade. Sebastian teased me endlessly. Besides, I liked my hair long.

        "I can't believe you're not going to Ash's party tonight, Robyn," Bethany says, crossing her ripped jean-clad leg over the other. "What does Daniel have planned?"

        She shrugs. "Nothing major. I'm pretty sure we're just watching Netflix at his place."

        "More like Netflix will be watching you," I mutter, falling back onto my bed and leaning back on my arms. "All you two do is have sex."

        "Not true!" Robyn argues. "We FaceTimed for seven hours yesterday. It's our new record."

        I raise an eyebrow. "Couple goals, literally."

        Beth groans, standing up. "Why does Bridget take so long to get ready? It's literally just putting on clothes and calling it a day."

        They were planning on going to their own eighth-grade party since they were too young to go to Sebastian. Which I had to hear Bridget argue with Oba about for three long days.

        I snort. "You know she flat irons her hair strands one by one. I swear, Beth, one day they're going to fall out and I'm going to say 'I—"

        A shoe hits me in the face and I wince, turning around. Bridget's there in a crop top and an extremely small miniskirt. She grabs the shoe and slips it back on, glaring at me. "Very funny, Braylen. Let's go, Beth."

        "Hell no!" I shout, standing up. "Bridget, you cannot leave the house dressed like that."

        She crosses her arms. "Mom would let me. She thinks this skirt is cute."

        "Yeah, we all did. Four years ago when it actually fit you!" I exclaim. "You shot up, like, three inches, Bridge. I'm not letting you go out with your entire butt hanging out of a skirt. Put some actual clothes on, yeah?"

        With a sigh, Bridget stomps upstairs. I wait until she comes back down wearing ripped jeans instead. "Better, Dad?"

        "Much better," I say. "Okay, since Oba's at work I'll be giving the speech. Men are pigs; don't go anywhere with them, especially alone. Watch your drinks and watch out for creeps. Don't die, okay?"

        "Hey, at least then I'd get my own room," Bethany mutters. Bridget whacks her. "Have fun on your hot and steamy date, Braylen."

        They grab their coats and bags and begin walking out as I scoff. "You know, one day you're going to appreciate chivalry a-and...imagination! But no!"

        Robyn laughs hysterically, slapping her knee. "I think a drive-in date is cute and retro. Just like you."

        I glare at her. "You're patronizing me, aren't you?"

        She giggles and jumps up, pulling me into a quick hug. "I'm off to Daniel's. Just...don't be a dork, okay? This is your first real date since Mabel and it's with a college girl, nonetheless. This could be good for you, Braylen."

        I frown. "I feel like there were very subtle digs in that speech."

       "Love you!" Robyn exclaims, kissing my cheek and then bouncing out of the bedroom. I sigh and follow her out to the door. I nervously check my phone, waiting to see if Hayley has texted. She hasn't, but five minutes later the doorbell rings.

        I pull open the door after running a hand through my hair and checking my breath once more. Hayley grins up at me, her long hair pulled back into a long braid that cascades down her baby blue dress. "Hi!" she says, her pink lips pulling up into a grin.

        "Hey," I breathe. "Wow. You look stunning."

        "You too," she says, reaching forward and touching my sweater. "I had no idea you were so fashion-forward."

        I shrug, biting my bottom lip in an awful attempt to be sexy. "There are lots of things you don't know about me."

        Hayley seems to buy it. "Yeah?"

        "Yep," I say, leaning down and kissing her. She meets me halfway and presses her lips to mine, the taste of her strawberries and peppermint immediately filling my senses. She pulls away and gives me a little smirk. "I'm driving, right?" I ask.

        She nods, handing me the keys. "Sure, Mr. Mysterious. Are you sure you can't tell me where we're going?"

        "That'd ruin the surprise," I say, grabbing her hand and shutting the door behind me. I lock it and we head to her car. She thanks me as I pull the passenger door open for her and then we're on our way. "Just know," I say, pulling out of the driveway, "it's gonna knock your socks off."

        "I'm not wearing any but I appreciate the sentiment all the same."

        We both laugh. The car ride to the drive-in is filled with aimless chatter. Hayley was fun. She didn't talk about anything deep, just tells me about her many college escapades and her time at the Academy. She was easy to talk to, much easier than Sebastian.

        I frown. Why would that even matter?

        We make it to the drive-in and I grin. "Tada! Isn't she a beauty?"

        "Bray, I don't think anyone has been here in like seven years," Hayley says, giggling. We go up to the teller so I can pay for our tickets and then find a good spot to see the movie. "Actually," Hayley says, glancing over her shoulder. "I take that back. There are others here. Namely, that couple who look like they're both in need of oxygen tanks."

        I follow her eyes to an indeed sickly-looking couple. They were in an old Chevy and had popcorn filled to the brim. I smile softly. They were adorable.

        The man glances over at me and frowns. "What are you kids doing, looking at my wife?"

        I balk. "Nothing, you two are just a beautiful couple, is all!" I respond, blushing.

        "My husband is a war veteran! He always keeps a gun on him! No lip, young man!" the woman shouts her voice haggard and dry.

        Hayley gasps. "Haven't you ever heard of gun control?"

        "Haven't you ever heard of shutting your mouth, ninny?!" Gramps shouts and I fume.

        "Don't talk to my date like that!"

        "That's your date? She's way too pretty for you, boy!" the woman sneers, laughing loudly.

        Hayley grabs my forearm. "Let's just go."

        "No way! They're the ones who should leave. Who the hell trash talks at a drive-in showing of Peewee Herman's Big Adventure?!"

        "We were here first, idiots!" Grandma yells.

        "Well, duh!" I shout back, hair whipping in my face. "Of course you were. You were born during the Ice Age, after all!"

        I start the car back up, fuming. Hayley sticks both middle fingers up as we pull out before laughing. "Oh, that was so awful!"

        I turn to her as I pull back onto the traffic-filled roads. "I'm so sorry. I used to go there with my aunt and cousins. I thought it'd be fun."

        "Are you kidding? That was the most fun I've had all week," Hayley laughs. "Some old people just have lots of anger in their hearts!"

        I glare at her. "I'm glad you were so amused. I've got no plan for a date, now."

        "Why don't we go to Ash's party?" she muses. "To be honest, I kind of thought that's where you were taking me tonight anyway."

        I frown. "You really want to go?"

        She nods, giggling. "I'm in the mood to get drunk. You don't mind, right?"

        I shake my head and she grins, pulling out a blunt and a lighter. She takes a long drag and then hands it to me. I shake my head again, gesturing to the wheel. It was part of the reason I didn't want it, but not the only reason. "You don't smoke or something?" she asks, a teasing tone in her voice.

        My knuckles turn white as I grip the wheel, unwanted images flooding my mind. I just shake my head. "Not my thing," I say but my voice cracks as I speak.

        I pull up to Sebastian's house in less than twenty minutes. Hayley squeals and jumps out of the car, eagerly rushing up to the door. I sigh deeply and pull my own car door open, following her in.

        The scent of booze and sweaty bodies fills my nose. I catch up to Hayley and protectively wrap an arm around her waist. She smiles up at me and kisses me deeply, but I can't even focus on the feel of her lips on mine. She only tasted like weed now and it made me feel sick. I break the kiss discreetly, leading her into the kitchen. "Thirsty?" I ask but she begins squealing in my ear.

        "Meredith! What are you doing here?" Hayley says, running up to a tanned girl with a bob. She slips away from my arms and disappears into the crowd. I sigh and follow behind her. Meredith had piercings on top of piercings and was currently smoking her own joint. My stomach turns over again.

        "Eh, missed Academy parties. Wanted to check them out. This your boyfriend?" she asks, eyeing me appreciatively.

        Hayley giggles and then wraps her arm around me. "First date, actually. Don't scare him off."

        "I'm Braylen," I shout over the loud bass. "Nice to meet you."

        Meredith nods and then a boy comes up beside her, wrapping his arms around her waist. "Jared! Let me go!" she yells, but she's laughing.

        Hayley grins even wider. "Jare! You're here too?" I turn my head and scan the crowd rather than the interaction in front of me, feeling out of place with Hayley's friends.

        "So it seems," he responds cheekily. He nods up at me. "What's up, man?"

        I nod back hoping that's the end of it, but Meredith has other plans. "That's Braylen, Hayley's high school boyfriend. Hey, kid, do you want a hit?" Meredith asks and holds out the joint to me. My throat turns slick and I shake my head a couple of times before gaining control of my words again.

        "I'm gonna use the bathroom. I'll find you after, okay?" I say to Hayley but she's already accepting the weed from Meredith. She nods as she blows out the smoke, though, and that's enough for me.

        I stalk to Sebastian's bathroom, holding a hand to my stomach as I push open the door and position myself over the toilet. Nothing leaves my mouth and I realize the nausea's passed. I rest my head on the seat and take a few calming breaths before pushing myself to my feet.

        I finally take a look around the lush bathroom. It was the same one I'd used the other night, with a gold and white color scheme and photos of Sebastian as a little kid. I couldn't help but notice that the older he looked, the faker his smile seemed.

        I splash a few handfuls of water on my face staring into the mirror and sighing. "Get a hold of yourself," I mutter. I take a few more stabilizing breaths before leaving the bathroom and heading back into the party. I look around for Hayley, but she's nowhere to be seen. Anxiety claws up my throat.

        I go to the kitchen, running a hand through my hair. Hunter grins at me as he swallows back a Jell-O shot. "Hey, dude! What's up?"

        He pulls me into a quick hug and I return it. "Hey. You have another one of those?"

        "Yeah, of course. Looking to get drunk?"

        I think back to the smell of smoke on my skin and the unwanted memories that come along with it. "You have no idea."

¥

        Hunter turns out to be an extremely good use of time. He's got access to the best booze in the house (he's slept over a crazy amount of times and knows where everything is) and he's always eager for another one.

        I'm standing in the living room with a group of guys when Sebastian walks in. His stark blue eyes are clear and bright; he wasn't drunk. I smile softly. At least there'd be no balcony situation.

        I however was incredibly intoxicated. I laugh at the thought and shake my head to the awfully vulgar music, not even caring that I didn't know the words. "Brayls?" Sebastian asks. I turn to him as he calls my name but accidentally trip over my own feet. He rushes forward quickly, grabbing my waist and pulling me back up.

        I stare up at him and smile hazily. "Your eyes are really blue. Like the ocean."

        Sebastian chuckles nervously before letting go of my waist. "I thought you weren't coming."

        "My d-date wanted to stop by," I slur. "Have you seen her? Blonde? Blue dress? Really big—"

        "Okay, buddy, let's get some water in you," Sebastian says. He laces his fingers through mine and leads me through his house. I whoop loudly as the music continues playing, wishing I was out dancing with everyone else. But his warm hand felt nice in mine, so I went with it.

        Sebastian opens a navy blue door and drags me inside, pulling me to sit on the bed. I giggle as he points his finger at me. "Stay right there, okay?"

        I laugh again and then he disappears. Laughter fading, I bite my lip and take in my surroundings. There was an electric guitar in the corner and a few album covers plastered along the walls, but that was about it for the personality of the room. There were no pictures framed, no inspirational quotes hung up. Just plain black walls.

        The door clicks open again and Sebastian returns with a glass of water. "Thanks, Sebby," I say, grinning. "You're the bestest."

        He hands me the water and I swirl it around a bit, watching as the water splashes around. "Braylen," he mutters, voice stern. I sigh and chug the water down, holding the cup up for good measure. "How did you get here?"

        I hiccup. "H-Hayley's car. I drove."

        "Well, not anymore, you're not." I open my mouth to ask a follow-up question, but he beats me to it. "She's fine, by the way. I saw her with a group of girls on the lawn. They looked like they were having fun."

        "How'd you know I was going to ask?" I prompt, raising my brow.

        Sebastian chuckles. "'Cause I know you, Brayls."

        I look over at him, smiling distractingly. "Your eyes are really, really blue."

        Sebastian hesitates as if there were a million possible things he wanted to say. In the end, he smiles wryly. "So we've established," he mumbles.

        I giggle at nothing in particular and set the empty glass on his bed. My mouth begins to water and I scrunch my nose, frowning. "No, no, no. Braylen, if you puke on my bed I will never forgive you!"

        "'Kay," I groan and then lean forward and puke on his hardwood floor instead.

—————————————
thank you for reading ! back on friday <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

106K 2.6K 31
"One of my favorite tropes is someone who believes they're hard to love and someone who loves them like it's breathing." TW: Mentions of suicide and...
1.5K 345 63
Why does life come with so many different possible answers to the same question? Which answer is the correct one and how do you know for sure? Findi...
95.8K 4.3K 32
Clay's life seems fine, but is everything except from fine due to bullies ruining his happiness day by day. His grandpa is the only one who knows eve...
20.9K 1.2K 41
Greyson Hayes is in love. Forever the middle child, far away from his family and living in the biggest city in the UK, he's familiar with feeling lon...