Icy Inferno (Troyler AU)

By TroylerToujours

Tyler is a Fire. He's a hot-headed student who seems to do well without trying. Troye is a Water. He wants to... More

⋙ Chapter One
⋙ Chapter Two
⋙ Chapter Three
⋙ Chapter Four
⋙ Chapter Five
⋙ Chapter Seven
⋙ Chapter Eight
⋙ Chapter Nine
⋙ Chapter Ten
⋙ Chapter Eleven
⋙ Chapter Twelve
⋙ Chapter Thirteen
⋙ Chapter Fourteen
⋙ Chapter Fifteen
⋙ Chapter Sixteen
⋙ Chapter Seventeen
⋙ Chapter Eighteen
⋙ Chapter Nineteen
⋙ Chapter Twenty
⋙ Chapter Twenty-One
⋙ Chapter Twenty-Two
⋙ Chapter Twenty-Three
⋙ Chapter Twenty-Four
⋙ Chapter Twenty-Five
⋙ Chapter Twenty-Six
⋙ Chapter Twenty-Seven
⋙ Chapter Twenty-Eight
⋙ Chapter Twenty-Nine
⋙ Chapter Thirty
⋙ Chapter Thirty-One
⋙ Chapter Thirty-Two
⋙ Chapter Thirty-Three
⋙ Chapter Thirty-Four
⋙ Chapter Thirty-Five
⋙ Chapter Thirty-Six
⋙ Chapter Thirty-Seven
⋙ Chapter Thirty-Eight
⋙ Chapter Thirty-Nine
⋙ Chapter Fourty
⋙ Chapter Forty-One
⋙ Epilogue

⋙ Chapter Six

5.1K 310 608
By TroylerToujours

I am convinced that we could be friends
We have several interests in common

We Could Be Friends ~ Freelance Whales

Tyler

“Who's ready to record their pieces today?” Mr Howard asked, his smile fading when only Troye’s hand went up.

It was music, and we’d finally finished warming up our voices. Last week we’d been told to choose a song we like, practice it, and record it. I had chosen the song Latch, and learnt it on the violin. No one in the class could play it, and I knew it would impress the teacher. I’d recorded it the lesson before, and been given a thumbs up by Mr Howard afterwards. I’d planned to doss around with Zoe for the rest of the term, but act as if I was helping her when asked.

“Right, who’s nowhere near ready?” Mr Howard asked, his faith in the class lost. Almost every hand shot up, including Zoe’s. “Well, I guess you all better get practising.”

I headed off with Zoe, and sat next to her as she attempted to write the piece. She'd chosen Problem, which was surprisingly difficult to write for the piano. Whenever it didn't sound right I was ordered to look up the notes online.

It was going smoothly for about three minutes. Then Mr Howard headed towards me. “What are you planning on doing this lesson, Tyler?”

“I'm helping Zoe-”

“Uh, I think not. I know what you’re like. Zoe hasn’t finished the piece yet, and I don’t want her to get distracted.” Zoe and I started to protest but he silenced us. "There’s not debating it - you’re not working together. Besides, I have a special task in mind for you Tyler. If you’d like to follow me...”

He moved away, alreading knowing I would comply. I walked behind him towards one of the outer rooms, which were filled with barely any students. Pupils milled about as they searched for the best instruments. No one wanted the damaged ones - like the guitar with three strings or the damaged djembe drums. People were already arguing over who was allowed to play on the newer keyboards.

“Troye? Come over here a minute.” Me Howard called out, standing on his tiptoes to see where he was.

I spotted the familiar face emerge from the recording room. He looked over to me, frowned, and slowly made his way over. “Yes sir?”

“I was thinking you two could do a joint piece, using Troye's song.”

“Why?” Troye asked before I could.

“You’re the only ones who've actually finished the task. I know a violin accompaniment would make your song that bit more powerful. Give it a bit more umph. You don’t have to, if you don’t want to. I think it would benefit both of you tremendously, though.”

We looked at one another, silently questioning the other. I didn’t know how to respond. We never did duets, just group work or solos. It would be challenging, but maybe if it was with Troye…

“I guess so,” Troye said hesitantly, still looking at me.

“I’m down for it,” I nodded, facing Mr Howard once more.

Relief washed over his face. His shoulders relaxed and a smile tugged at the corners of his mouth. “Good. I'm glad. I’ll get Naomi off the grand piano so you can practice on that instead of on a keyboard, okay?” He didn’t wait for a response. Straight away he marched over to Naomi, already making wild gestures for her to get off.

"'Down for it'? Really?" Troye raised an eyebrow.

"Shush," I said, blushing. "It's a cool kid thing."

"Neither of us are cool kids," he pointed out. I had to stop myself from responding with that's why we get on.

Instead I retorted "You're right, I'm more of a hot hunk than a cool kid."

Naomi stomped past us, huffing loudly. It was clear indication that we were able to use the piano.

"If by hot you mean you cause scalds and burns, then yeah, you're hot."

I stopped in my tracks."Hold up, did Troye Sivan just call me hot?"

He rolled his eyes and pushed past me speedily. "Nope, your ears must be filled with lies." He wasn’t fast enough for me not to see the smile forming on his lips and the pink flush on his cheeks.

Moments later he was sat down on the stool,  arranging his music. I tried to read the song's name over his shoulder. Much to my dismay, he hadn't written it on.

He seemed very on edge as he sat there. I could almost see the clogs of his brain moving as he tried to think of a way to calm down.

All of a sudden he turned to face me. "Hey, want to hear a joke?"

I sighed, knowing it’d be bad.

“Why was the piano player arrested? Because he got in trebel.”

His open grin and large eyes had a laugh falling out my mouth before I could stop myself.

“Go home Troye, that was rubbish!” A pitched voice shouted over the hubbub in the room. I stopped laughing. We turned around to see a red faced Naomi, shooting daggers at us.

I flicked my wrist to dismiss her comment. “Bitch, get over yourself. His joke was better than your entire existence.” Troye gave me an appreciative look as others oohed around us.

His happiness drained from him as he stared a the keys. Vexation lined his forehead. “Are you alright?” I asked tentatively.

“Yeah yeah...Uh...I’m warning you now, I haven’t played on the grand piano in a while. A long while.”

I beamed at him. “That’s fine. You prepare yourself, I’ll get the violin.”

He nodded, his eyes still transfixed on the keys. I walked over to Zoe, who was scribbling notes onto a stave. She eyed me as I grabbed my violin. “What's your 'special task' then?”

“I’m playing with Troye- don’t!” I snapped, as a smirk began to form on her lips. It didn’t disappear. Instead her voice feigned innocence as she asked “Don’t what?”

I shook my head and walked off back to Troye. When I got back, I saw him bashing the side of his head into the piano keys. I couldn't help myself from trying to make a pun. “Are you playing by ear?”

He frowned, then a breathy laugh escaped his lips for a moment, before he closed his mouth. He lifted his head up fully, all his attention on me.

“What song are we playing?” I asked, standing besides the piano in a place where I could still see his face.

“I doubt you’ve heard of it. It’s called Don’t Wait by-”

“Mapei? Oh my gosh I love that song!”

“Really?” He asked incredulously.

I guessed the only to make him know i was serious was to prove it. I placed the violin on my left shoulder, positioned it under my jaw, and held my bow. I checked it was tuned and began to play the opening lines. His face turned from disbelief to amazement. “You’ve already learnt it?”

“No, I’m just good at sight-reading,” I shrugged.

He smiled with his teeth this time. It was possibly the cutest thing I'd ever seen. “You’re full of surprises.”

"If you think that's surprising, you won't believe what I'm like in the-"

“Are you going to sing?” he cut me off.

I burst out laughing. “No, I don’t think the world needs to hear that.” I remembered my old teacher describing it as the most uncomfortable experience of her life, even worse than childbirth.

“Is it okay if I sing?” He asked in a small voice.

“Of course,” I smiled reassuringly. “Shall we play the whole thing through?” I asked, gesturing for him to play the piano.

He looked down at the key. He took in a deep breath and closed his eyes. He played the first note, and sang along with it. My stomach flipped. I hadn’t noticed how harmonious his voice was before. I was thankful that he could sing. It was alway awkward when you played with someone who sounded like they were being strangled. His voice sounded as if it belonged in a heavenly choir amongst the clouds-

I must have got lost in thought because suddenly his eyes were open, and he was looking at me. The way he was looking at me made me think he must’ve been waiting a while “Ready?”

“I was born ready,” I said, placing the violin under my jaw once more.

“A friend indeed, come build me up
Come shed your light, it makes me shine
You get the message, don't you ever forget it
Let's laugh and cry, until we die

If it wasn't for you, I'd be alone
If it wasn't for you, I'd be on my own

Don't wait 'til I do wrong
Don't wait 'til I put up a fight
You won my heart, without a question
Don't wait for life”

My mind went away from the music room, as my imagination went into overdrive. His voice painted pictures. It was like a winter breeze at night time, blowing past as the molten moon sinks from view. It was so pure, yet there was yearning within it that left me wanting to hear more.

“I care for you, I talk to you
In my deepest dreams, I'm fortunate
We got a friendship, no one can contest it
And not to mention, I respect you with my all

If it wasn't for you, I'd be alone
If it wasn't for you, I'd have to hold my own

Don't wait 'til I do wrong
Don't wait 'til I put up a fight
You won my heart, without a question
Don't wait for life

Not a thing in the world could get between what we share
No matter where you at, no worry I'll be there
No one's got your back like I do
Even when business ain't going well, we still cool
When I shine, you shine, always on your side
All my life you'll have what's mine
Mark my word, we gon' be alright
My brother, my sister we gon' be just fine”

My eyes fluttered open. I watched Troye and he watched me. Heat filled my fingers. It wasn’t tiredness, it was power. It felt just as strong as it had in the Powergy lesson.  

Before I knew it my bow was caught alight.

The flames licked the strings with every stroke. They didn’t set the violin on fire, or head towards me. They stayed embracing the bow, dancing along with the beat.

Troye looked horrified, yet his voice was even as he sang the chorus once more.

“Don't wait 'til I do wrong
Don't wait 'til I put up a fight
You won my heart
Without a question
Don't wait for life”

As soon as the piece ended, Troye jumped up from the piano stool. He grabbed the bow from my fingers, which were covered in ash. He said “eau” and the flames were vanquished. He dropped the bow instantly, wincing as it scorched his skin. “Are you alright?” I took a step forward.

He moved away, holding the edge of the piano for support. “What was that?”

“What can I say? I really am hot." I looked over at the piano. Some were encrusted in ice. “What about you? How do you explain what you did?” I asked, jerking my head towards the keys. His head whipped round and his eyes widened comically.

“Oh dear lord...” I laughed at his response, causing him to look up at me. "Why aren't you freaking out? Doesn't it scare you?"

"You getting burnt scares me, but we just did... that wasn't scary. That was art."

Everyone around us was oblivious to a momentous occasion in both our lives. My heart beat was erratic, as was my breathing. I moved closer to him, afraid he might move again. He didn't that time. Surprisingly he took a step closer too. Every doubt in my mind vanished. I knew that whatever was happening to me was happening to him too. Throughout it all, we'd be together.

That was the moment I figured out we definitely didn't hate one another.

That was also when the bell decided to ring.

*

I was flustered for the rest of the day. Fortuanetly I mainly had free periods, so my nervous state was ignored by most people. The only other lesson I had was food-tech, the care-free subject that I'd decided to take instead of philosphy. It was one of the only lessons I didn't share with Troye. Orignally I had been grateful for that, but I wasn't so sure by that point.

The teacher, Ms Blackery, had asigned us a partner and challenged us to make cakes and pastry. I was with Hannah, who I often saw hanging out with Troye. I remembered she was the same girl who was of the target of the Harries' pranks. I thought she might be hostile, or uncomftable, but she was the complete opposite. In a matter of minutes I found myself in hysterics over her cooking skills that were worse than mine. It seemed like she was drunk at points - that's how clueless she was.

"Can you take the pasteries out the oven now?"

"Sure." I bent down and opened the oven. The heat within came blasting out, steaming up my glasses. I waved the smoke away. Luckily the food didn’t seem burnt. It was hard to tell in my misty glasses. I took them off, and glanced up at Hannah. She was in fits of laughter over my appearance. I wiped the glass with my apron, and put them back on.

Grabbing the oven gloves off of the counter, I picked up the tray. The heat from it could be felt, even through the thick gloves. Slowly I rose up. As soon as the tray was against the table, Hannah began piping. I was impressed with her skills. It was the one thing that Hannah could do better than me, or anyone else in the class. Soon enough the pastries were finished.

“Okay, now can you put them on the main table? I'll get the cake out and start icing it.”

I walked slowly towards the main table, where the other pastries were placed. They all looked delicious - so delicious that my stomach involuntarily rumbled. It was easier to carry the tray when my stomach was so desperate to eat. I moved quickly. However, I was going so fast I failed to notice the small bin besides the counters. I only noticed it whe my foot came in contact with it. I tripped. In my aim to keep myself balanced, the tray flew out of my hands. All to soon it went spiraling to the floor.

The squelching noise made me cringe. I knew they were ruined. I picked up the tray gingery, praying it wasn't too bad.

It was worse than I expected. Each pastry had split wide open. Cream and chocolate thickly covered the floor. I groaned, knowing I'd have to clear up the mess by myself.

I shielded my face, and looked back at Hanah. I was ready to see a sorrowful face - even an angry face. When I caught her eye, she shrugged and sang "Now you're just some pastry that I used to know," before falling into a laughing fit. Once I’d mopped up, her eyes were filled with tears, and laughter was still escaping her.

"Take my advice: never become a waiter."

"Thanks for the late advice. I'm meant to be waiting at Miranda Sing's wedding at the weekend."

Her laughter stopped abruptly. “Wait, for reals?” I nodded, mystified by her reaction. “Troye’s cooking at that wedding.”

“Seriously?” I groaned. I didn’t want him to see me making a fool of myself. I was almost certain to drop his creations, in front of him. What if I dropped something and it went all over him? Very quickly, various scenarios of Troye removing his clothing filled my mind

All too soon I was brought back to reality as Hannah said “I can tell your thoughts aren’t innocent.” A second later she was laughing as my cheeks heated up. I tried to deny it, but she held up her hands. “I don't want to know your dirty thoughts about my best friend."

"Stop it, no! I was wondering why he didn't take food tech."

"He likes the deep meaningful shit they talk about it philosphy. Plus, he thinks the teacher's cute." She glanced over at me, and stopped icing the cake. She began to smile again, at my forlorn expresion. "Awh, boo, do you miss him? This must be the only lesson you don't have with him, right?"

I nodded thougtfully, pretending I hadn't realised before that moment.

“He talks about you all the time, you know?”

“REALLY?” I gawped, covering my mouth as soon as spoke. I hadn't meant to be quite so loud. Then again, I hadn't meant to get on with Troye in the first place.

“Yeah, I mean it used to be how he’d never date you, but now he doesn't seem too appalled by the idea. He likes you Tyler. More than what’s platonically acceptable.”

I looked down at my feet, that had curved inwards. “Does he have a boyfriend?”

Even without looking at her, I could hear the smile within Hannah’s voice. “No, not yet. Soon.”

A/N

This is a little late but hey: two updates in one week - wuddup!

There’s a few chapters that I’m trying to write ‘quickly’ because they’re kinda fillery-is-this-even-a-chapter chapters, like this.

So, hopefully there’ll be two chapters up next week

:O

(don't hold me to it though because teachers are dicks sometimes and they love setting tests and controlled assessments)

Kay, brill, ily, peace and pout mon petit trout

 Emma x

~~~~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.7K 1.4K 43
Completed ~ Ever since Tyler moved to Australia from America, he and his neighbour Troye became best friends. At the age of 10 they make a promise to...
55.8K 2.8K 40
Tyler and Troye meet by chance in a cafe and it's love at first sight. Everything is looking up with cute nicknames and a relationship like the fairy...
48.2K 1.6K 26
** Going Through Editing ** Troye's life starts to go awry when his parents tell him they're moving to Minnesota. He doesn't consider it fair that he...
37.3K 1.4K 25
Troye and Connor are both highschool seniors, they live next to each other and their parents are good friends. This is why they are forced to go on a...