The Object of My Affection:...

By Liverpool_Legends

Being George Harrison's best/band mate wasn't as easy as it used to be. Paul McCartney is now torn between hi... More

From Liverpool
Cry Out for A Shadow
Chains
The Best Brother You Could Have
I'll be on my Way
Girl Things
You Can't Love Me and an Other One too...
That Boy Stole My Love Away...
Everything Looks Better in the Morning
She's Not a Girl who Misses Much...
George's Song
Thawed
It's Only Love, and that is All...But it's So Hard Loving You
Back to Liverpool
I Saw Her Standing There
In Misery
Good Morning
Tread Softly
I Read the News Today, Oh Boy
Breaking Up is Hard to do?
I'll Cry Instead
It Won't Be Long
Christmas Countdown
Christmas Time is Here Again
All I Have to do...
Wouldn't that Save You?
Do You Want to Know a Secret?
'Twas the Night Before Christmas
Staring at the Ceiling
The Answer
Go to Him
You were Made to go Out and Get Her
Only You
News/Update

When You Walk in the Room

861 34 9
By Liverpool_Legends

"Any plans this evenin'?" asked Conall, leaning forward, the counter supported him. 

Brona's eyes flicked from her new leather gloves to Conall and then back. She lifted her shoulders. "Nothin' much. Probably doin' a bit more cleanin' for Christmas or runin' a few errands for the neighbours, which I'm pretty much sick off. Oh and Matthew's comin' down today, thank God, and waitin' until the 22nd."

"Wow, five days of Matthew," Conall mused. "You can learn a lot 'bout a person if ya live with 'em that long."

"That's the plan," she said cheerfully, holding a smile briefly. "Right, I'm off." She adjusted the scarf around her neck. "It's your turn to lock up, love."

Conall rolled his eyes. "It's always my turn to lock up."

"See you later, Conall," she said, heading out of the shop and into the cold street.

"Goodbye."

Brona shivered when she stepped out into the cold air that nipped had her exposed skin. She wrapped her arms around her body and headed for home, savouring the rare alone time.

During this run up to Christmas, she found herself in quite stressful situations thanks to her mother. Mrs Harrison was constantly offering Brona's and Peter's services to neighbours without their consent. She knew is right to help neighbours and family our, especially at Christmas, when the only thing that currently gave her pleasure that week was the stretch between the shop and her house.

Silence was golden.

Luckily, Norman had decided to close the shop at 2 o'clock during the run up to Christmas, which was a few mere days away and Broma was bubbling with excitement - on the inside. She was sure that she looked Scrooge from the outside. She was just exhausted.

Actually, there wasn't much she could do nowadays without her nerves being frayed away. 

She was nearing the end of her book, but she couldn't make up her mind about how Gary and Jessica would end up. She wasn't usually this indecisive, but every time she had her mind made up something would come along and change it.

Nothing else gave her such headache like writer's block. But Jackie Crawley definitely took second place recently.

The girl was completely obsessed with the idea that Brona was in love with Paul McCartney. She had come up with so many, constant and persistent, theories about it that she could write a book on it. Brona was baffled by it all. She didn't think she ever gave Jackie any indication to believe such a thing. She usually kept a cool demeanour.

But she was sure that the visitor of the day would give her pleasure. She was aching to see Matthew. It was only a little while until his arrival, but she knew time would drag on.

It didn't take long until Brona reached her council estate. Her step quickened as she was eager to pass out on her couch in front of a blazing fire, watching the telly. She knew the likely hood of that was not in her favourite.

Brona practically sprinted into the Harrison household through the back of the kitchen door. The new vehicle at the front went totally unnoticed. 

When she slid open the kitchen door, she was greeted by Sparkie, who was barking loudly. He seemed excited by something. Brona assumed it was her arrival home and pet the beagle fondly. When she rose to a standing position, Harry entered from the sitting room door.

"You're not askin' me to babysit Donna again, are you?" Brona assumed, brows raised. "You know I love 'er but I really need some relaxin' time."

"Don't you 'ave enough of that?" Harry teased, but only received a cold eye roll, which he returned. "Mam said she'd look after 'er, but I know you'll 'elp out," he added, giving her a nudge in the shoulder. "Also it's not my only reason for bein' 'ere."

"What is this reason?" she asked, somewhat intrigued.

Harry wouldn't budge. He just gave her a sly grin and a shrug. "You'll find out."

"'ow's work?" Brona asked.

That was the reason Harry was showing up her so much lately with Donna at his feet and a pleading smile plastered on his face. The sectary in the company office that he worked in was acting quite dodgy. He and others would have to stay late and do extra work so the company wouldn't fall behind. Karen was also on the other side of Liverpool, nursing her father, and Donna couldn't be left unattended.

Harry sighed, shaking his head. "Stressful," he huffed. Brona frowned slightly, placing a comforting hand on his arm. "It finally 'appened; our sectary left us this mornin'. She didn't even leave a reason. It's 'orrid. Not only did she leave us with 'er secretarial service, she also did the accounts."

"Oh Harry, I'm really sorry to 'ear that, mate." She looked at him with concern in her eyes. "What's goin' 'appen."

"Well, most of us did accountin' in school but it's an extra burden for us seein' that she 'asn't done much for the past three months but known of us can take over her secretarial duties. We wouldn't know where to start."

Brona's fist balled at her sides. "'ow can she be let get away with that?! Didn't someone notice she wasn't doin' 'er work properly? It just isn't fair that ye should be left with extra work this close to Christmas! It's goin' to be 'ard to find a qualified sectary this close to Christmas..." she trailed off.

A sudden thought occurred to her and she looked as though a light bulb had been lit over her head. Harry looked at her expectantly, but a little unsettled.

"Jackie!" Brona beamed. "Jackie! Jackie's a trained sectary." Harry's eyes bulged out off his head and he shook his head vigorously. "She'd be perfect. You can teach 'er accounts, if you wish."

"Um, no," he deadpanned. "I'm not employin' 'er."

"But-"

"I gotta go back to work," Harry said quickly, swiping his keys off the kitchen table. He gave her a quick peck on her hair. "Make sure Donna does her 'omework. You're a darling, and I love you," he teased before making a beeline to the door.

Brona frowned deeply. That was her line.

Deciding to make a cup of tea for herself, she headed over to the cupboard and took out the box of tea bags. She filled the kettle with water and put it to boil before heading over to the tea pot, only to discover it wasn't there.

She furrowed her eyebrows. Her eyes scanned the entire kitchen carefully, before giving up. She took the kettle of the hob and walked into the sitting room, deciding to investigate the whereabouts missing tea pot.

"Hey, where's the tea pot - George!"

Brona gasped when her eyes landed the young man dressed in drainpipes and a jumper sitting on the couch. His eyes shot to her when her heard the sound of her voice, a smile coming out to play.

"'Bout time you got 'ere," he teased, rising to his feet. "Thought I'd be waitin' another few 'ours 'till I saw ya."

A beam sprung on her lips and she felt like the lovely surprise had caused her to forget how to walk. But it wasn't long until the knowledge was found and she met him halfway in a hug. She held him tightly, making sure it was her actual brother, while he rubbed her back.

"I'm 'ome for Christmas," he whispered her wish into her ear.

"Thank you," she whispered back, her voice dripping with gratitude.

This is all that she wanted; her whole family in one room and what better time for it to be than Christmas. She lost them last year when her siblings went their separate ways and she carried the thought of them never being fully reunited, with Louise in America and George's unpredictable career, and that she really couldn't bare.

"What a lovely surprise," she announced to everyone in the room when they parted from the hug. Her eyebrows rose and she looked over at her mother, who was standing up, tea pot in hand. "Was it a surprise to you, mam?" she teased.

"Yes, it was," Mrs Harrison admitted, looking dotingly at her youngest son, and Brona could see the redness in her eyes. Her heart was touched seeing her mother looking so blessed. 

"Actually," George spoke. "It was a surprise for me too. Only this mornin' Eppy told us we 'ave two of our Christmas concerts in ol' Liddypool 'ere and we get off for Christmas 'til after New Year's, then we continue the Christmas shows in London."

"Seems rather unpredictable, if you only were told this morning," Mary mused. 

"That's rock n' roll, Gran," Peter replied, winking.

Mary's lips pursed tightly. "Yes," she said. They all looked at her expectantly, waiting for her to declare her disapproval but her support for George. "Sounds like somethin' your mother would approve of, Louise."

"Nice to know something's never change," commented George when there was a knock on the door.

Mrs Harrison left the room to answer it. George went back to his seat on the couch beside Peter while Brona went to the coffee table were the teapot was left and she poured herself a cuppa.

"That was probably for you," Peter told her.

Brona frowned momentarily in realization. "Oh damn, you're probably right. If mam gets to Matthew before I do, I'll never get a minute alone with 'im," she laughed.

"Oh I never realised your Perseus was comin' this early," Mary said, looking half intrigued and half happy. "Looks like I don't have to wait until the party after all."

Brona gave her a look of warning. "Play nice and fair."

Mary raised up her free hand, the other clutched her walking stick. "I'll be as gentle as a lamb."

Doubt etched amoungst the brunette's features. They vanished when her gaze was directed at the door, waiting for her 'Persus' to walk in. Mrs Harrison walked in with a big grin dancing on her face. Two men followed behind her, entering at the same time and both looking in the same direction - Brona's.

Brona's heart rate increased unexpectedly as her eyes flicked between the two. She assumed it was because she hadn't seen Matthew in over a week - the longest time they've spent apart since the day Matthew came into the shop. The day she read that ghastly newspaper saying that Paul, who stood beside the blond, was engaged.

Her smile grew into huge expression as she seemed to almost glow with happiness that she felt on the inside. She let out a little chuckle of hysteria.

"Paul," she gasped. "I wasn't expectin' you," she admitted. She glanced at Matthew, not allowing him to be overshadowed. "Matthew, it looks like you 'ave some more people to get to know over the week. Come meet, Granny," she said, dealing with the situation as elegantly as she could.

Matthew obeyed her. He walked passed her, giving her a little peck on the cheek, where a rosy pink appeared. With a charming smile, he introduced himself to Mary, who was ready to interrogate him. 

"'ave you missed me?" Paul asked bubbly, entering the room with a spring in his step. He placed his hands on her hips and heartily kissed her cheek.

She shrugged, her eyes locking with his shimmering hazel eyes. "Maybe, I 'ave."

He inched closer to her, bent his neck and whispered in her ear, "Well, I've missed you very much," in a teasing manner.

"Please," she said, lowering her voice and reconnecting eye contact with him. "Don't make me blush."

That's when it clicked together.

Yes, Brona thought. Why 'aven't I realised this before! 'ow stupid of me.

Paul's flirty demeanour; that's what made Jackie think up all of her theories. Well now that she knew the answer, she could think of a solution and she just might have one.

Perfect timing, she thought when she could feel Matthew's presence approach her from behind. She turned to him knowingly. 

He smiled. "Do I get my hello now?"

Brona's hands cupped his cheeks and brought her lips to his in an innocent kiss. She didn't want it to last too long, she wasn't that comfortable with showing affection in front of her family. Breaking the kiss, she quickly took hold of his hand, lacing their fingers while smiling.

"They're a lovely couple, aren't they?" said Mrs Harrison adoringly.

The mentioned couple laughed in appreciation, while sharing a smile.

Brona knew what she had to do. She had to avoid Paul as much as she could when Jackie was around. It was going to be hard, but it was going to be worth it. Right?

Mary smiled. "You'll found, Matthew, that there's never a dull moment in this house."

 A/N: Sorry for the wait! My computer was broke and went to the shop so I couldn't update. I'm super excited for the upcoming chapters! And I hope you guys are. I hope this chapter helped with clues or answers. Thanks for all the support, I hope it continues :) Seriously, I said 'I hope' too much in this A/N. I suck at these. If you want to leave me an early Christmas pressie, please drop a review or a vote. Constructive critism is very welcome!

PEACE!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

59.8K 2.1K 21
Paul McCartney and George Harrison have become comfortably numb to the rumors whispered about them, but John Lennon has made himself harder and harde...
68.1K 2.9K 35
John and Paul start a relationship, and things quickly become a lot more complicated in their lives. Feelings are realized. Moments are had. Bridges...
4.8K 290 27
Paul McCartney can see into the future. All his life his been looking forward to the day that he meets John Lennon and starts the Beatles. The only i...
21.6K 770 27
A young actress is handpicked to be in the famous movie, not expecting anything more than a boost in her acting career she gains the attention of a...