The Beta Female

By FanGirlNerd_03

•Completed• Book #2 to The Beta's Human Series Two years have past since the horrible rogue attack and Baleig... More

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Epilogue
Book Three!

Fifteen

187 15 0
By FanGirlNerd_03

Everything seemed to be moving in slow motion, and the mass was being parted down the middle like the Red Sea. I soon came to realize that the bad guys were moved to the right and the good guys to the left. In the back, I noticed Kiera was crouching in the grass but I couldn't tell what she was looking at.

"You guys are SO LOUD!" Taylor shouted across the yard. I swear I saw the Queen smirk.

Adelyn looked like she wanted to strangle the child. "Taylor! What are you doing?"

Taylor dropped her arms, but the packs remained motionless. "I was stopping the fight. I thought that's what you wanted." Her tone was innocent, like she was trying to get away with it by saying it wasn't her idea in the first place.

Addie let out an exasperated and embarrassed sigh. "Well, yes, but not like this! We were supposed to be hiding!"

"But don't you want to know why Jacob's fighting?" She protested, her eyes wide and unblinking. "It could be about us!"

I held in a laugh. This kid was good. She knew exactly what the answer to her question was, but she was performing for the frozen shifters behind her, this way Addie would agree.

"You know, you have an audience." A timid voice said from the crowd. I recognized it as the Queen's.

Taylor spun around and Adelyn gasped. "Kalama?" Her eyes hunted through the crowd. She must've spotted her because she pointed and Taylor released one person.

The Queen bolted across the yard and threw her arms around Addie. They both had tears streaming down their faces.

"I'm so happy to see you again!" Kalama cried.

I tuned them out and focused my attention back on the crowd, searching for anyone I knew. I prayed my eyes wouldn't stumble across someone I knew, dead. There were so many bodies it was horrifying!

Finally my eyes landed on Collin and I sighed in relief. We may be having a rough time, but I was glad he hadn't died today! My eyes went back to Kiera, but I still couldn't make out what she was hunched over on the ground. I strained and strained until a little voice brought me back to the porch.

"Who are you?" Taylor asked.

A waterfall of tears poured from Kalama's eyes as she crouched down. "Taylor, I'm your mom! I've missed you so much!"

Taylor's smile was weak, but still happy. "Where's my dad then?"

When her mom pointed out a white wolf, Taylor raised her hand, setting him free from the invisible force. In a flash, the King was beside them, the wolf's eyes wet with tears. I had to look away to keep myself from crying too.

I slowly backed away from the heartfelt reunion. Of course, it was beautiful seeing them finally together, a perfect family. It made me think about what it would be like to have kids of my own. The thought of a child that I would protect and care for just as much as the Royal family made me cry a little bit harder. Maybe I was wrong about being so harsh to Collin. Kiera was right about compromising with him. He loves me, and I love him. We might not get exactly what we want, but I know we can work it out. I imagined that there would be some arguing involved, maybe not as much as Kiera and Nate, but I know you always have dislikes and opinions in any sort of relationship.

I walked back out and found a door that led me outside. I gasped at the horror of the bodies laying on the ground. I wiped my face, leaving wet streak marks on my cheeks. I looked around for a familiar face and saw Collin standing a couple yards away.

I smiled and ran towards him. "Collin!" I shouted. He looked up and saw me running towards him. But I stopped before I could reach him. His eyes looked bloodshot from tears. I could tell he was a little beat up from fighting, but there was a pain on his face that appeared to be from more than the injures he sported. I communicated the question with my eyes. What was wrong?

I moved my head a bit and looked behind him. I gasped, drawing my hand over my mouth. Laying on the ground with blood soaking on the grass, was Nate. He laid there, unmoving while Kiera sobbed over his body. Evelyn held her, wiping away the tears that fell from her eyes and down her cheeks. Dr. Stone appeared angry but upset all at once. It looked too unbearable for him to look at his son laying there lifeless on the ground.

I couldn't move. How could this happen? It was all my fault. If I hadn't decided to help the Royal's find their child, maybe Nate would still be alive. But if I hadn't done something, the family would still be out there, looking for their daughter. They could have found her dead somewhere. Or even brainwashed into the evil ways of this horrible pack we fought. Maybe if Nate has come clean about everything to Kiera, there wouldn't be so much tension between them in the end. On the car ride here, the two hardly said a word each other. I thought maybe the little talk Kiera and I had before we left could have helped, but I saw no change in their relationship.

Collin walked over to me. I didn't see him move until I felt his hand in mine.

"Baleigh?" He asked softly. "Are you okay?"

I snapped out of my trace and looked away from the horror scene that was laid out before me. I nodded. "I think so."

He wrapped his arms around me tight. I missed this. I missed the hugs, the late nights watching Hallmark movies. I missed the goodnight kisses and morning cuddles. I missed the way he would surprise me with silly cookies that he attempted to make on Sunday afternoons. I missed the days where we would hop in the car and drive to a random open area and sit on a blanket and watch the stars. I missed it all. I missed every little thing about him. The flaws. The perfections. The laughter. His touch. I couldn't imagine a life where he wasn't there. I just couldn't.

"You did a great job out there," he whispered in my ear. I pulled back. "Really?"

"Of course! You helped save those two girls! I've never seen the Queen and King more happy! You helped save a family today, Baleigh! That took a lot of courage to do that."

I tried to smile. "But I couldn't save everyone." I looked down at the grass. He knew what I meant.

"I know. But we can't save everyone, even if it's hard." He put his hand under my chin and picked my head up to meet his eyes.

"What will we do now?" I asked. "Nate, h-he was your best friend." Why do I get so emotional?

"He was, and still is. We'll figure it all out. I promise." Collin leaned in and kissed my forehead. I let out a sigh. I felt like I was holding in a breath since we got here. He took me by the hand and walked me over to where Nate's body lay. I tried my best not to break down. I didn't want to cause another big scene.

Kiera cried into Evelyn's shoulder. She seemed so upset and heartbroken. I could almost feel the pain she was feeling. Collin held me tight around my waist as we stood there. There wasn't much to do. Kiera lost her mate, the one person she loved the most in this world. Paisley lost her father; for the rest of her life, she'll never really know her dad. Maybe she'll have a slight memory of him. But how could she with being so young? I shook my head. Losing a life brings so much more loss than just someone being gone. It brings the pain and sorrow of knowing we all will forever never see this person again for the rest of our living life.

Kiera finally was able to calm down a bit. She looked up at me, her entire face almost breaking me. She looked to be in too much in pain. She reached out for my hand. I placed it in hers.

"Thank you," she said, choking back another sob.

"For what?" I asked.

"For saving those girls. And trying to save me." She let my hand go. She looked back down and Nate. She didn't cry; she stared at him in pain. It was almost unbearable to watch.

The Queen and King came walking over to us. She appeared to have been crying. I wondered if she lost someone too.

"I'm so sorry," she said to me. I could tell she was trying her best to be comforting. This whole battle really was a lot on all of us, even if we got something great at the end.

"It's fine," I said quietly. I wiped away a tear that tried to escape. I sighed. "Kiera and Nate had a huge fight. We decided to go on a vacation to clear our heads. After I called Collin -my mate- about finding your daughter, they rushed to help. Kiera didn't really get to talk to Nate. I just can't believe-" I stopped and placed my face in my hands. I hated talking about this.

The Queen placed her hand on my shoulder. "It's going to be okay," she said softly and with a tone of encouragement. "You're not alone. If there's anything you need, we can help."

What I really wanted was for them to magically make all the people who had died, the good ones, to come back to life and we can all go home happy. But it doesn't work like that. The least they could do was be here for us and everyone else who helped out and enjoy their time with their daughter.

I nodded, my face still in my hands. I pulled them away and gave them a small smile. "I think we'll be okay," I finally said.

The Queen nodded and left us alone. We finally were able to get Kiera to let go of Nate while Dr. Stone carried his body to the car. Kiera followed in suit. I watched as Tyler tagged along. I didn't notice him earlier as we all mourned. He'd already lost one brother; now it was two.

I felt a hand on my shoulder, causing me to jump a little.

"Woah!" It was Trinity. "Sorry, Baleigh. Didn't mean to scare you there."

I sighed. I turned around, Collin's arms dropping from my waist. "What is it?"

"I just wanted to see if you were okay. I know battles like these aren't normal for you."

"No. Not really. It's a lot easier to handle when it's on a screen and you don't know who they are."

Trinity smiled. "Yeah. Pretty much. But it gets better. It takes a while, but it does."

I nodded. I looked at the ground and then at my friend. "What are we going to do?"

"We'll have to take Nate back and have a proper burial. Then we'll have to figure out if Kiera will stay Luna or if you and Collin are the next in line."

I stared at her, confused. "What do you mean 'next in line'?"

"I'm the Beta of the pack," Collin said from behind. I turned to look at him. "Nate was the Alpha. Now that he's gone but Kiera is still alive, we just decide if you and I take over of if Kiera continues as Luna and leader."

This is all so strange. Leader of a pack? I couldn't be leader! Sure, this pack was small, but I could imagine it growing in a few years. I wasn't ready to take over like this. Just being apart of it was enough for me.

"I don't really want to be Luna. I kind of like where I'm at." Collin nodded and hugged me from behind. "I'll make sure they know that. He kissed the side of my head. Trinity smiled.

"Oh wow. Look!" She pointed behind us. Collins and I turned around. I gasped at the sight.

Light shone around the young girl, Adelyn, and an older boy that we met before at the beach. The crowd gasped and fell to their knees in awe. I felt like we should too so I dropped down on my knees, Trinity and Collin following promptly.

"She has agreed!" It was the King. "Adelyn and Oliver are hereby the Alpha and Luna of the Pacific Moon Pack of Los Angeles, California!"

The crowd rose and erupted if a booming cheer. I stood up and clapped. This was exciting! Something good to come out of a dark time and I really enjoyed it. I may not be like all these wolves, but I sure did like being a part of them.

"Mommy!" I looked over and saw the little girl, Taylor, run off the porch and towards the Queen.

"Awww!" I blurted, "I want one."

Collin looked at me, baffled. "You do?"

"Well, um, I —" I looked at Trinity for help. She merely shrugged her shoulders.

"I mean, yeah, I do. But maybe not this very second. In the next year or so, maybe? I don't know. There's still college that I'm worried about and of course we'll have to get married, which is a lot of planning to do and we can't forget-" I was stopped mid sentence by a kiss. Collin wrapped his arms around me and spun me in the air.

"That's all I needed to hear!" He exclaimed joyfully.

I'M NOT CRYING😭😭😭 OH NATE! WHY DID YOU HAVE TO DIE?!

This took A LOT of work, but I'm really proud of this chapter. And Baleigh and Collin made up! YAY! I can head wedding bells! Or not. Idk.

Don't worry, there's still more to come! And a huge thank you to Cavalier_Spaniel for helping with this and letting me collaborate with her in combining our story! It's really great! Go check out Lost Princess on her profile. She has an AMAZING series called War of the Wolves Series, starting with Silent Luna and they're all very good! Go check it out and see how our two stories intertwine!

Also, don't worry too much! There's still more to come with this book! Yes, there's going to be some sad parts 😢😢 but also some good ones too! So hang on! It isn't over yet! Thanks for reading my book guys! You're all so awesome!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

289K 11.3K 19
Beta Tyron has longed to find his mate, especially since his Alpha found his Luna. So, after all the chaos ended, he took some time to search for the...
176K 8.8K 67
Book 3 of the Regal Eclipse Series This book contains spoilers for Book 1 - Alpha King's Missing Mate and Book 2 - The Alpha King's Slave After wi...
255K 10.6K 60
(Highest #41 on 8/5/2020) A/N This book is a stand-alone even though the first few chapters might seem confusing! It's one of those, starts in the mi...
197K 5.5K 36
WARNING: UNDER EXTREME EDITING An Alpha King A Human Girl Alpha King Luca Mason, 23, known to be the greatest Alpha of all time. The only thing is he...