Three

I walked for what seemed like hours. At first, I just walked around, going left and right at random spots. After I got bored of doing that, I had realized that I was on the same street where I used to go to school. Collin's school was outside of the boundaries I was in so I never went to his at the time. Instead, I was stuck at Harbor Ridge High School. It was a good school, but I never enjoyed it. The teachers always seemed like they hated me. I never talked in class and I always did my work. Maybe Dad made me sound like a horrible student when he was controlled by David's men.

I turned left at the end of the road. I walked for a few blocks and then turned down my street. I could see my old house from the street sign. It was a small white house. It was a couple of years old. The paint on the exterior was beginning to chip away. Leaves and dirt stuck to the roof and gutters even though it was summer. The grass was very much green compared to all the other houses surrounding it. The only nice and new thing about the house was the stairs to the porch. Dad had a new one installed the summer of my freshman year. I remember walking up the steps on the way back from my dance lesson. Dance was the one thing that Dad let me do at the time. I remember taking one step towards the porch before I fell through. Dad came running out of the house and saw me crying. He rushed to pull me out. I broke my ankle when I fell through. Dancing was over for me right then and there. The steps were then fixed and so was my ankle. As I stood there by the street sign, remembering that day, I realized it was the one time Dad was his real self. He was actually my dad that day. Not a crazy controlled science experiment. 

I shook the memory out of my head. Kato squirmed in my arms. "What is it?" I asked.

Kato continued to squirm in my arms. I heard someone coming from behind me. I turned around. No one was there but I could hear footsteps on the sidewalk. I bolted down the sidewalk towards my old house. The sound of the footsteps started to quicken as I ran. I didn't look back and continued to run. Kato bounced in my arms. He tried to jump out. I held him closer. He felt heavier in my arms but I didn't want to risk anything. I just ran.

I ran past my house and farther down the street. I could hear someone shouting my name. I didn't bother to turn around or stop. The footsteps were now pounding hard on the sidewalk. I ran harder. Kato scratched at my arms.

I turned around the corner of the street. I didn't notice the crack on the ground. My foot got stuck. Kato went flying out of my arms and landed in someone's yard on his paws. I fell hard on the ground, my arms scraping in the pavement. My head surprisingly didn't hit the ground.

I tried to get back up but everythig hurt. I struggled to push my arms to the ground and get myself up. I was able to turn my body around and lay down on the ground, my back against the pavement. The person chasing me walked up to me. My heart pounded.

"Baleigh! What in the world are you doing?" I squinted at the being standing over me. The sun shining in my face made it hard for me to make out the face in front of me.

"Goodness, Bales! You trying to get yourself killed?"

Only one person called me Bales. I never liked the nickname, but someone liked to torture me with that name.

"Trinity?"

"No. It's Kiera. Who do you think?" Trinity put her hand down. I grabbed it and she pulled me up.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"I saw you walking down here as I was driving back from my date. Seemed a little odd to see you by yourself with your cat." 

"I just wanted to go for a walk. By myself." I felt myself clench hoping the lie would not make me explain the real reason why. 

"Baleigh. You're the world's worst liar ever," Trinity said while crossing her arms. 

"That's not true!" I protested.

"Yes it is. The only person who could lie to my face and get away with it is dead so you better start talking." 

I was confused at who was able to get away with a lie to Trinity but I shook the thought away. "And what if I don't start talking?" 

"Then I'll make you," Trinity said. 

The look Trinity was giving me made me want to run but I knew she would have stopped me. I let out a sigh and explained to her the fight Collin and I had at Larry's Fro-Yo Kingdom. Trinity didn't talk the whole time. She just nodded. It was kind of nice have someone listen without interrupting me all the time. 

After I finished, Trinity stood there procesing the whole thing. I shuffled my feet, waiting for an answer. Kato had come back from where he was dropped and rubbed against my legs. I accidentally kicked him. Kato hissed at me and walked over to Trinity. She scratched his head. That's when she finally spoke. 

"I understand where you're coming from. You want to do your thing and forge your own path. But I think you should here Collin out." 

"So now you're agreeing with him?" I shouted. "You think I should give up my dream?" 

"No! I don't think that! You should go to college and pursue you're dream! But Collin really wanted a mate. I remeber Kiera telling me how much he wanted a mate. Someone to love and grow old with. That was his dream and now you're pushing his dream away." 

I wanted to protest and tell her she was wrong but I couldn't. Trintiy was right. I was pushing what Collin wanted away. But he was doing the same thing. I guess the two of us weren't trying to help each other get what we wanted. 

"You're right Trinity. I am being a jerk. But so is he." I folded me arms to make me look serious and certain on what I said. 

"Then maybe the two of you should hear each other out. Make a compromise as to what you too want." 

"But what if he doesn't? He was pretty certain on not letting me leave for college." 

Trinity nodded. "That is true." She stood there thinking. Kato had finally left her side and came to mine. I picked him up and help him in my arms. He smelled like dirt and roadkill. I didn't want to know. 

"I think we should go on a vacation," Trinity finally said. 

"A vacation? Like, Hawaii?" I got a little excited. I've always wanted to go to Hawaii. 

"No. Not Hawaii," Trinity grumbled. "People are too nice there." 

"I didn't know 'too nice' people were annoying," I muttered under my breath. 

Trinity ignored my comment and continued. "You, me and Kiera should go down to LA or San Diego for a couple of days. The two of you need a little break from all this." 

"But what if I don't want to go? I'm fine where I am," I said. 

"Yeah. But after what has happened today has taken it's toll on you two. I think you guys should take a break. It would be good for you." 

"I think it's too early to go on vacation. Things just got bad today. Maybe after a few days we can all settle this." I wanted to believe what I was saying but it was hard to not think about the worse. 

"Fine. We don't have to go right now, but my offer still stands." 

"I don't think we'll need it," I said with a smile. I could tell Trinity didn't buy it but she had to. I didn't want anyone to change my mind. I wanted to stay and see if all of this crazy drama would smooth over in the next few days. 

"I'll take you home. Alan can fix you up." Trinity turned on her heels and headed back where we originally came. 

"You call Dr. Stone by his first name?" I said in confusion. 

"Yeah. What's wrong with that?" Trinity continued to walk away. I shrugged and followed her. I prayed silently in my head that all of this would go away and everything would go back to normal. Maybe Collin and I can work out our differences. Maybe. Just maybe.