It All Fell Down | A Marauder...

By episkeyyy

When life is constantly changing with a raging war destroying your world, being a teenager doesn't seem as im... More

[Foreword]
[CAST]
[Trailer]
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Nine
Thirty
Thirty-One
Thirty-Two
Thirty-Three
Thirty-Four
Thirty-Five
The End: Marlene McKinnon
The End: Charlotte Riggs
The End: James and Lily Potter
The End: Peter Pettigrew and Sirius Black
The End: Remus Lupin
Epilogue
[Afterword]

Twenty-Eight

973 41 48
By episkeyyy

"The best kind of humans are the ones who stay." - R.M. Drake

     "You're avoiding us," James stated simply as if he were discussing the color of the sky, slinging himself into an empty seat next to his ex-girlfriend. 

     Charlie sighed agitatedly looking up from her school work to glare at the wall, refusing to meet his hazel eyes. "Hi to you too, James."

     "Again," Remus added, settling himself into the chair on Charlie's other side with a knowing look. 

     She was surrounded.

     "Oh, good," she said sarcastically. "More people." She finally realized what he said, and she turned her head to stare at Remus. "Again? What do you mean again?"

     Remus gave her a look. "You're avoiding us," he repeated James' words. "Again.

     Her chin raised a fraction. "I haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about." 

     "Bullshit," James accused with a sly grin. "It's your thing. 'Charlie's avoiding everyone again,'" he mocked, as if he were saying it to Sirius or Peter.

     She turned her head to glare at him. "What are you two doing here?" 

     "What are you doing here?" Remus turned the question back to her. 

     Charlie knew exactly what she was doing here. She was tucked away in an empty classroom on a Friday afternoon with tempting sunlight streaming in through the windows of the far wall. She was using the empty room and the isolation to study for her N.E.W.T.s.

     Charlie had grown bored of the library, and it had become crowded with first years who thought they were busy. Besides, the windows in this classroom over looked the Quidditch pitch which was covered in a blanket of snow. She could spread out all of her papers and books here and not worry about noises or Madam Pince yelling at her. 

      But, it offered more than just a nice study space for Charlie. Something had been eating away at her mind for days now. She couldn't face any of her friends because she was ashamed. Just the thought of her selfishness brought heat to the surface of her cheeks. She could hide away here. It was solitude. 

     "I needed a place to study," she sighed, finally answering Remus' question. 

     James snorted. "Liar."

     Charlie huffed. "We're getting off topic. How did you find me?" 

     Remus smirked, wordlessly holding up the Marauder's Map, fanning it in front of his face. 

     "That thing should be illegal," she spit with narrowed eyes. She wrinkled her nose, thinking of how it violated her privacy. 

     "But, it's not," James said in a sing-song voice. 

     She rolled her eyes. "It's creepy." 

    "It's brilliant," he countered. 

    "Okay," Remus interrupted, looking slightly annoyed. "You two are doing that James and Charlie thing where you argue until you nearly rip the other's head off." 

    "We don't do that," Charlie said weakly, not liking the look in Remus' accusing eyes. 

    James made a face. "We kinda do." 

     "Why are you avoiding us, Charlie?" Remus demanded, not wanting to hear another round of arguments between the two. 

     "I'm not," she sighed weakly, keeping her eyes from meeting his. A lump was growing in her throat, and she feared that tears would betray her if she looked at either of her friends.  

     "Charlie," James prodded gently. 

     She refused to look at either one of them. The classroom was beginning to blur with the liquid that filled her eyes. "The train leaves tomorrow," she whispered, trying to swallow the lump in her throat.  

     "Yeah," Remus agreed, not seeing where her mind was at. 

     "It's Christmas soon," she said, eyes glistening, still not meeting either of the boys' gazes. 

     "Charlie," James said softly. "It's okay." 

     "I spend Christmas..." she hesitated. "I spent Christmas at my dad's." 

     Remus sighed, feeling his own throat grow dry. "Charlie."

     "I," Charlie sighed. "I have nowhere to go, and all of you are leaving tomorrow." Please, don't leave me, she added silently, hating how selfish she felt.

     "Who said we were leaving?" Remus whispered with the ghost of a smile. 

     Charlie sniffed, finally turning to meet his eye. "What?"

     James grinned. "One too many steps behind yet again, Riggs."

      She whipped her head around to look at him. "What are you two idiots going on about?"

      "All of us signed up to stay at Hogwarts this year," Remus informed her with a sly smile. 

     "What?"

     James let out a small laugh. "Do you really still question our friendship with you, even after all this time?" 

      Charlie was surprised to feel her throat begin to thicken and fluid fill her eyes. "Always," she whispered. 

      "Come on, Charlie," Remus slung his arm around her shoulder, hugging her to his side. "Did you really think we'd leave you alone on your last Christmas at Hogwarts?"

     "I mean," she started weakly. "You all have families. I would understand." 

      James grabbed for her hand, and she turned to look at him with glistening eyes. "Family isn't just blood, Charlie. You're family too." 

      "I won't be alone?" She whispered. 

      "Never," Remus answered solemnly. 

      Charlie couldn't find words to voice the feelings that were gravitating within her, so she just nodded. 

      On Christmas day, the group of seven found themselves stumbling down to a late breakfast after a morning of opening gifts. They arrived to the great hall to see a small crowds clustered at the various four tables. They all seated themselves to a nice buffet of breakfast foods. 

      "Do you ever feel old?" Marlene asked, as she placed pieces of french toast onto her plate. 

      "Always," Peter answered seriously, reaching for the eggs. 

      Marlene snorted. "Honestly," she said. "It's our last Christmas at Hogwarts. How did that happen?"

      Lily smirked. "Time flies."

      "When you're having fun," Sirius finished with a false smile.

      Charlie rolled her eyes. "You sound like an old married couple."

      Marlene snorted and nodded her agreement. 

      "It'll be a good day," James declared, scooping a heaping pile of eggs onto his plate. "It's Christmas." 

      "If someone doesn't give me hot chocolate before this day is over," Remus started with a serious expression. "I'll consider it a crime against humanity."

      "And, all of you call me dramatic?" Sirius demanded, looking disgusted. 

      "Wait, no," Remus interjected, ignoring his friend. "I'm a werewolf. I'll consider it a hate crime."

      Lily wrinkled her nose. "I don't think you know what a hate crime is." 

      They fell into a comfortable silence after this, enjoying their breakfast in peace. It was Christmas morning, after all. Snow was coming down in sheets outside. Much to Remus' delight, hot chocolate was served towards the end of the meal, and everything just felt cozy. 

     Charlie felt a tugging on the sleeve of her oversized sweater. She turned to see a small, brown eyed child staring up at her. The small girl wore a navy sweater with her hair tucked beneath a charcoal head covering.

     "Hi, Maya," Charlie greeted the small Ravenclaw. 

      "Happy Christmas," the girl answered. 

      Charlie made a noise. "You don't celebrate Christmas." 

      "But, you do," she answered earnestly. 

      Charlie's heart swelled. "That's very sweet of you, Maya. Thank you. You didn't want to go home?"

      The small girl shrugged. "My mum and dad work during Christmas because we don't celebrate it anyways, but all of my friends are gone." 

       "Would you like to sit with us?" Charlie asked with a smile.

      Maya grinned in return, climbing over the bench to sit next to Charlie. Lily pushed a glass of hot chocolate towards the small girl, and Maya sipped on in gingerly. 

      "How is your day going, Maya?" Peter asked kindly. 

      She swallowed her sip of cocoa. "Good," she answered. "But, I miss my friends."

      Charlie placed a hand on her shoulder, giving it a light squeeze. "They'll be back soon." 

      "Besides," James interjected, mocking offense. "Don't we count as friends?"

      Maya giggled, leaning against Charlie to hide the burning in her cheeks. "You want to hang out with us today, Maya?" Charlie asked. 

      "Really?" 

      "Of course," Lily answered. "Even if you don't celebrate Christmas, you shouldn't have to spend it alone." 

      Maya blinked several times. "Thank you," she whispered. 

      After they finished breakfast and several glasses of hot chocolate, the group of seven plus their one extra made their way out to the snow covered grounds of their school. They headed in the direction of the lake, huddling in on themselves as the wind was very sharp as it nipped at their exposed flesh. 

      James decided to test the layer of ice covering the body of water. He walked onto the icy surface hesitantly, holding his arms out in an attempt to keep his balance. Lily called after him, demanding that he be careful. 

      Charlie laughed. "Who wants to bet three galleons he falls through the ice?"

      "Fuck off, Riggs!" James called, lifting a middle finger above his head. 

       Lily hit her arm. "Not funny." 

       "I thought it was funny," Sirius added giving Charlie a look. Lily glared at him in return. 

      Marlene eventually joined James on the ice, the two balancing dangerously on the slippery surface. Sirius rooted for them from the sidelines, while Charlie ran onto the lake next, sliding along the ice. 

      "You three are idiots," Remus called from his seat on the snow covered grass. 

      "It's okay, Remus," Marlene called with a laugh. "You can call us the fun ones of the group. We already know." 

      Maya laughed watching the three skate along the ice. She watched as they goofed off, her eyes twinkling. 

      James, Marlene, and Charlie eventually made their way off the ice. James nearly toppled over when his foot hit the ice wrong, nearly taking Marlene down with him; Charlie almost fell over with laughter. 

      After they were off of the ice, the group fell into an easy conversation, making sure to include Maya every step of the way. 

       Sirius was the first to throw a snowball. It hit Peter in the back of the head, and he turned sharply knowing exactly who his assailant would be. Another ball of snow was thrown, but Sirius dodged it, allowing the aimed object to collide with Remus' unsuspecting face. 

      It soon became an all out war. Everyone ducked for cover, composing several snowballs in preparation for the fight. No alliance could be trusted; Lily soon betrayed James, throwing a snowball at his unsuspecting face. James tackled Lily, throwing sheets of snow into the air. Sirius dove on top of Maya, yelling something about protecting the children. 

      Charlie snuck quietly to a tree, climbing to the top in her monkey-like way. She pelted Marlene from above with snowball after snowball; Marlene started towards the tree to get her revenge. She couldn't quite climb the tree like Charlie had, and a stream of profanities was heard in her frustration. Charlie only laughed, saying something about children being present, and continued throwing snow balls.

      Remus was the only one who could successfully climb the tree, and Charlie yelled in her escape attempt. He lunged at the girl, carefully tackling her into the snow below. They both emerged from the white powder laughing. 

      By the end of the snowball war of 1977, Peter was giving a giggling Maya a piggy back ride, James and Sirius were in an all out snow brawl, Lily and Marlene were collapsed in laughter, and Charlie was attempting to warm the tips of her fingers by pressing them to Remus' warm face, who was protesting, but didn't quite escape as easily as he knew he was capable of. 

      After several hours in snow and frozen appendages, the group made their way back inside. The sun was beginning to sink away from the sky, throwing shades of pink and orange over their shoulders as they arrived back at their school. James was practically carrying Maya, as the afternoon had tired her out. 

     Remus helped Charlie get Maya to Ravenclaw tower. Maya was too sleepy to answer a riddle about some sphinx, but luckily, Remus knew the answer. Charlie muttered something about a password making more sense for a door than a damn riddle. The small Ravenclaw said her sleepy goodbyes and stumbled up the stairs to her room. 

     The two made their way back to join the rest of their friends in the Gryffindor common room. They had gathered on the floor in front of the fire place, sipping glasses of fire whiskey. 

     Lily grinned at the two. "Care for a drink?"

     Charlie happily obliged, joining her friends on the floor. Remus only grimaced. "Wish I could," he sighed. "I have to go meet Madam Pomfrey." 

      Charlie's smile disappeared. "Tonight is a full moon?"

     "Unfortunately." 

     "But," Lily said weakly. "It's Christmas?"

     Remus snorted. "I don't think the moon phases care what day it is."

     James lifted his glass. "We'll be there as soon as we can, mate." 

     "It's Christmas," Remus sighed. "You should all stay here. I'll be okay on my own." 

     "I will throw something at you," Sirius remarked with narrowed eyes. 

     Remus held his hands up in surrender. "Then, I'll see you idiots there," he backed away slowly. "You lot have a good night."

     Before Charlie could consider what she was doing, she had leapt to her feet to throw her arms around Remus' middle. "I'm sorry you have to deal with this," she whispered. 

     He laughed humorlessly, returning her embrace. "It's okay," he said, pressing his face to her hair. "Not your fault."

     Remus left the common room to find Madam Pomfrey, and the other three boys left after him not much longer, disappearing beneath James' invisibility cloak. This left the three girls alone to sip their drinks in front of the warm fire on this Christmas night.

     "So," Lily started, giving Charlie a look over her glass. "What's up with you and Remus?"

     Charlie wrinkled her nose. "What?"

     Marlene arched a blonde eyebrow. "The boy likes you. You should see how he looks at you."

     "I'm sorry, what?"

     "I think you two would be good for each other," Lily added, taking another sip of her drink. 

     Charlie set her drink down, shaking her head trying to process this information. "Where is this coming from?"

     "Oh, come on," Marlene objected, looking at her with an amused grin. "Haven't you noticed?"

      Charlie's head was spinning. Sure, she had noticed Remus was attractive, but who hadn't? He had beautiful brown eyes and cute, messy hair; he was funny, smart, and sweet. They had good times together, and he was one of her best friends, but she had never considered him in that way. 

     "No," Charlie whispered, no longer sure if she had or hadn't considered him in that way. 

     Lily grinned smugly. "Maybe, you should consider it."       

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

50.6K 1.6K 26
|| REWRITING || Clara Potter has always been much more serious than her mischievous younger brother and his unruly band of friends. For much of their...
793 40 4
To simply put it, Olivia Randaloff was sick and tired of the way James Potter treated her best friend, Lily Evans. After years of him refusing to lea...
Marlene By Em

Fanfiction

40.7K 1.5K 41
Book 2 in the Generations Series. '"So if we're harbouring criminals, then I'd quite like to know their names," Marlene looked between the two boys. ...
Epiphany By -

Fanfiction

2K 73 25
Lily's tired of the growing grudge that's taken over Hogwarts. She's tired of the Gryffindor-Slytherin rivalry, of the Marauders and their stupid pra...