Social Distancing

By still_just_me

Can you find love during the outbreak of a pandemic? Maggie is a brilliant, upcoming, and socially awkward s... More

Chapter 1: Ignorance is Bliss
Chapter 2: Remote Disease
Chapter 3: Nice to Meet You
Chapter 4: Getting Closer
Chapter 5: It's Spreading
Chapter 6: First Case
Chapter 7: Precautionary Measures
Chapter 8: Buy All the Toilet Paper
Chapter 9: Last First Date
Chapter 10: We Got This
Chapter 11: Quarantine the Elderly
Chapter 12: Closing Down
Chapter 13: Going Home
Chapter 14: Isolation
Chapter 15: Quarantine
Chapter 16: Unraveling at the Seams
Chapter 17: Moving Forwards
Chapter 18: Streaming Service
Chapter 19: Set a Schedule
Chapter 20: Shipping Out
Chapter 22: Making up for Lost Time
Chapter 23: Distractions
Chapter 24: Turn for the Worst
Chapter 25: The End

Chapter 21: Second Chances

581 65 24
By still_just_me

"Maggie?"

"Hi Mom," I greeted her cheerfully. "How are you?"

"We're doing the best we can." The phone crackled as she sighed. "Like everyone else, Dad and I are staying at home. Haven't killed each other yet. Got you on speaker phone, he's here too."

"Good." I pressed firmly down on the tape over the last box of my limited personal belongings. I had nearly as few boxes that came with me as Noah's two suitcases from UCL.

"How are you?" Dad's voice echoed from somewhere in the background.

"Really good," I smiled and sat down on the box. "Mom, Dad, I need to ask a favor."

"Anything Maggie." Mom replied first.

"I need some money."

"Of course, Mags," Dad replied second, since this was always his primary concern since I never asked them for money. "How much do you need?"

"Two month's rent," I said. "That's what I need to break my lease."

"Why are you breaking your lease?" Mom's voice was concerned.

"I'm moving to another county so I can start work on my dissertation."

Well, that's mostly true.

"Oh sweetie, that's wonderful. Dad's working on the wire transfer right now."

"Thank you... both."

"You're welcome.. and Maggie?" She added. "We're really proud of you."

"Thanks Mom." I hung up the phone and looked around at my apartment. My limited amount of belongings were all boxed up and the same bare walls stared back at me. My boxes were few enough that they'd all fit into the car NHS had sent over for travel.

I glanced at my watch and smiled.

Amy should be calling Dana right about now.

And I had a ride to catch, so I slipped a mask over my face and behind my ears, grabbed a nearby box, and headed downstairs. The NHS vehicle was obviously parked right in front of the building, where I greeted the driver with a wave and handed him my box. After a few trips up and down the stairs for the rest of my boxes, I took one last look at my barren apartment then shut the door behind me.

The drive from London to Kent took about two hours. There was virtually no traffic so the ride was quiet and smooth, but lots of things to see visually. I watched as the empty city street blocks turned into more open spaces. Noah was right, the transition was quite scenic. I couldn't wait to tell him in person that I agreed with him.

As I absently glanced out the window, I felt as I slipped into a soft sleep. The last two weeks had been very busy. I finished up the Ebola project with Tucker, ate lunches with Amy, made future plans with Dr. McKenna, and against Amy's judgment, forgave Paul.

I'll never forget their faces on my last day. Technically I can't forget the mental image, but I knew the memory would be cherished. While I'd only worked there for twelve weeks, I had become quite fond of the research team. Amy I'd remember for her kindness and how she always watched and keenly observed everything. She was probably the closest person I had to an actual friend. Dr. McKenna would always be referenced for his support and gentle guidance. I would even miss Tucker's grumpiness.

"You did good work, kid," he'd said gruffly. I'd miss Adam as well, and hoped that he would be able to help himself pull through this. I was fairly confident that I'd see them again. Dr. McKenna was, after all, my dissertation adviser and the infectious disease research community only had so many members.

I'd told Noah about what had happened in the lab, and he was less than thrilled. "What a wanker" technically was his response. But I reassured him that the exchange meant nothing more than a misunderstanding, and we moved forwards. I ran a few more times to Regents Park, mostly to throw off Noah's suspicion of the surprise I'd planned, but was ready to start a new chapter there as well. To some extent I felt exactly what Noah had experienced, a desire to see the sights once more. Instead, I paid the NHS driver and he took me on a driving tour through the city. It mostly served as a means for me to pass the time I counted down until I left.

I didn't have all my dissertation research details worked out. I had an office location address for Inovio to send my work equipment to. I'd be based out of NHS' Kent and Canterbury hospital, with a loose understanding that I'd work on my own but help Dr. McKenna's team when needed. Starting in two weeks, three times a week I'd have calls with my Inovio and NHS team members. I was excited to get started.

My phone buzzed and pulled me out of my thoughts.

Amy: Dana's on board. 4pm today, Kent & Canterbury hospital.

me: Thanks for everything.

Amy: Good luck!

I smiled, knowing how our plan interfered with my four pm running "date" with Noah today. Just as I hoped, my phone buzzed again.

Noah: Hey, sorry I have to get some blood work done at 4 today.
Noah: Can we run later?

me: Okay, I'll work late.
me: You shouldn't run after getting blood drawn, you might pass out.

Noah: I'll be okay. Will call you afterwards.

"So stubborn," I put my phone in my backpack and gazed out the window. Still, a smile spread across my lips at what would happen within the next forty-five minutes.

He has no idea.

Forty-six minutes later, I stood outside the Kent and Canterbury hospital. The building was large and white, with two wings that fanned out from a central structure that had a tall clock at the top. I smiled.

This is where Noah had gotten his blood draws.

My heart flipped at the idea that he'd be here soon.

"Please take my belongings to this address, okay?" I slipped Noah's parents address to the NHS driver. He nodded, then wished me good luck. I glanced down at my phone, then headed to the receptionist desk.

"Can I help you miss?"

"I'm here to see Dana White please." I handed her my shiny new NHS badge. "Margaret Stevens."

"Wait here please." She pressed a few buttons on her phone. "Dana, Margaret Stevens downstairs for you. Okay." She flipped mine and another badge over to me.

"She said meet her up at phlebotomy, third floor, second right. Room three-hundred eighteen," she pointed at a hand washing station. "Wash up, elevators are straight ahead."

"Thanks," I rolled up my sleeves, peeled off my gloves, rolled them inside out, then tossed them in the trash. I washed my hands, grabbed another pair of gloves out of my pocket and rolled them on. I wasn't taking any chances today. I followed the receptionist's directions, where a plump, lovely woman with curly blonde hair swirled with random strings of gray and glasses was waited me. She smiled brightly.

"Dana." Since she wasn't wearing one, I pulled my mask off and smiled brightly.

"Maggie." She hook my hand gently. "This is the weirdest and sweetest thing I've ever heard of."

I chuckled and my eyes glanced around. "Is he here yet?"

"Not yet, wait in here," she gestured to a door a few feet on her right. "He's always right on time, should be about ten more minutes."

The next ten minutes were the longest ten minutes of my life. My right knee twitched, not in anxiety but excitement. I wanted to jump out of my skin, but tried to remind myself that I'd waited ten weeks, so I could wait a few minutes.

"Right this way, Mr. Evans." Dana's overly loud voice directed him to the door. My heart thumped loudly in my ears as the door opened with a tiny creak and footsteps entered.

"Thanks -"

There he was. Right in front of me, in a white t-shirt, black jeans, and everything else that was Noah. He stopped short.

"Careful with this one Dana." I smiled. "He's squeamish with needles."

"MAGGIE!" He roared loudly as his arms grabbed me roughly into a big hug, then lifted my feet off the ground. Dana smiled, said something about giving us a minute, and shut the door.

"Hi-" I started when he immediately set me down and kissed me deeply. I squeezed my elbows around his neck and breathed in his calming, fresh scent. The warmth of his skin against mine sent tingles throughout my body. Fortunately he held me tightly, since my knees started to feel weak.

"What are you doing here!?" He broke away long enough to ask, then moved in to kiss me again.

"Surprise." I smiled in between breaths and the feel of his lips on mine again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

46.5K 1.9K 29
Aurora Johnson is struggling to find what to do next in life. She is alone after losing her parents and breaking up with her cheating ex, but when sh...
17.5K 446 31
{ENTERED INTO THE 2022 PRIDE AWARDS} When 2 girls who have never spoken to each other develop symptoms for COVID-19 while in school, they're put into...
57K 2.9K 83
"Can we stop feeling guilty, Amelia? Guilty for all the things that weren't our fault." "We can Leo. Maybe someday." "That day isn't far off Amelia...
172 24 6
With the fun and carefree years of college just in her rearview mirror, Sarah-Mae faces the harsh realities of adulthood kicking and screaming. Will...