◇Joker One-Shots◇

By cl0uddr0p

*OLD VERSION* This is a One-Shot collaboration of 2019's JOKER.... and maybe some The Dark Knight Joker. It... More

The Clown From The Subway
Through Her Eyes
Ash Covered Thighs
Doomed Since Birth
Betrayal
One Of The Good Guys
Bun In The Oven
Benjamin
Keeping It Professional
Sharing The Spotlight
Arthur
Grief
Hell In The Hallways
Alone
Not Into Men
This Is Gonna Sound Crazy
Stuck With Me
Little Dove
My Life Is Yours
The Bunny Woman
Even When You're Gone, You Remain
Coffee Run
Taking The Blade For You
Under The Street Light
Not Who You Once Were
After So Long.... Hi :>

Just Like Romeo and Juliet

1.1K 16 18
By cl0uddr0p

☆The year is 1830. The strange and unusual were put on display for other's amusement. The deformed were popular, all for the wrong reasons. They were all freaks in the Freakshow.☆

------

Carnival, the clown who's laughter was contagious. The Laughing Man. That was his name.

Arthur Fleck lived among the deformed and mentally deranged. He liked with his family, the freaks. They belonged to a Freakshow which was starting to become a huge hit during the Victorian era. They performed nightly for those were took pleasure in watching those lesser than them. Judging them. Laughing at them. Cruel, wasn't it?

Arthur tried to not mind it too much. He focused on his performance and making people smile. He enjoyed that so much. Just to be able to light someone's face up with happiness, that's all he wanted to do. He was a clown in this tormenting show. His alter ego being name Carnival. A typical name for a clown but he wasn't too creative. It's not like he went to school for this. Still, he was beloved, especially by children. They enjoyed his clumsy performance, leaving them in fits of laughter, just like him. 

Arthur was special. From the time he could remember, he always had the gift of laughter. Any time he felt upset, stressed or even anxious, he laughed. He was able to cover his frown with a smile, even if it was faked. Arthur found it be his special gift. He would never be sad. He would always be happy. He'd be a happy little clown without a care in the world and a song in his heart. He didn't care if he was made fun of by his peers. The audience could laugh at him and he wouldn't bat an eye. 

And then he met her. 

She was a young woman who's smile was as bright as the sun. Arthur instantly fell for her. She was always spotted with a young boy with dark hair. He assumed he was her younger brother or perhaps she was a nanny. She was sometimes accompanied by the boy's parents. They were always dressed to impress, obvious to flaunt out their wealth. It was clear that the parents didn't care much for the rundown property they resigned at but they simply came for the young boy. 

Arthur first met the woman on a night he was sleep deprived and more clumsy than usual. At first he wasn't sure if she was real because of the lack of sleep but he proved to be wrong when during his act just outside the main tent he had dropped a prop while juggling and she picked it up for him. She gave him a warm smile while handing it back to him. Carnival didn't talk. He was a silent character. So in order to thank her he took a dramatic bow to show his gratitude. He remembered his heart nearly stopping when she giggled lightly by his actions. 

Her voice was angelic. 

"Come on, _____! The show is about to start, we shall miss it if you don't hurry!" The young boy tugged at the skirt of her dress. She looked down and ruffled his hair. 

"Very well, Bruce. Let us go before mother and father go on without us." Ah, she she was his older sister. The woman, ______, turned towards Arthur and nodded her head. "I hope to see you in the show, Sir Clown." She gave a small curtsy before letting herself get dragged into the large tent. Arthur watched her disappear behind the curtain and sighed. 

She was beautiful. 

------

Arthur began to notice that she came to the show quite often. She was here nearly every night with her younger brother. Either with or without their parents, but always accompanied by their butler. He was always by the young boy's side, letting the woman sneak about by herself. An advantageous one, she was. She must have gotten bored of the show and walked around the property, walking up to smaller acts that were going on outside. Arthur was always outside, performing for those grew bored of sitting on the hard planks inside the tent. Tonight was warm, a sweet spring evening. This was the perfect season for the shows. People were tired of staying inside all winter that once spring rolled around they would get together and go out for activities. Arthur always enjoyed seeing the new faces of children. They gaze filled with wonder and curiosity. Made him feel like his life had a purpose. 

Despite enjoying seeing new faces, he enjoyed seeing the familiar ones too. Especially hers. 

Arthur took a breath when the last of those who were outside went in to watch the show. As much as he liked performing his act, he was thankful he wasn't in the main show. There was something about being on that stage and having a light of him that made his uneasy. Arthur stretched his legs and looked around his surroundings. Apparently not all went inside the tent. 

There she was, walking along the dimly lit walkway, reading the withered signs of names and illustrations of the freaks.  Arthur wanted to walk up to her and say hello. However, he was in character, he couldn't talk to her as he would like to. Perhaps he could get her attention somehow, make her smile, make her laugh. That would be enough. 

"Do I amuse you?" 

Arthur blinked. He gazed down to notice that the young woman was standing before him, looking up at him with a smirk. He was taken back. Oh God, did she caught him staring? Arthur took a step back, waving his hands in dismiss. She giggled. 

"Perhaps I should check a looking glass once I return home. I didn't realize I was that hideous." She joked. Arthur gave an enthusiastic gasp, shaking his head and reaching into his vest and pulling out a freshly plucked flower. He had a few tricks up his sleeve. _____ clapped, accepting the gift. "Shall I take that as a compliment then?" 

Arthur gestured for her to stay put, turning around and kneeling down on one knee. He layed a hand on his chest and the other reaching out towards the moon that shined brightly tonight. He blew a kiss at it before taking the gestured hand and extending it out towards ______. She seemed to understand what he meant. 

"Ah, so you think I'm as beautiful as the moon?" She guessed, Arthur nodded. "Why thank you. I can't say I've been compared to the moon before. I've had suitors tell me that I remind them of a rare mango from across the seas or a dewy autumn morning.. I don't know what those are suppose to mean." She laughed, looking up at the moon. Arthur couldn't help but release a snicker from his lips. A pearl, that was expected but a mango? That was something new. _____ glanced at him, surprised by his sudden outburst. Arthur quickly covered a hand over his mouth. He didn't want to offend her. ______ looked over at the illustration of Carnival, the name The Laughing Man labeled underneath his picture. "Is that you?" She pointed. Arthur looked over and nodded. "Carnival, The Laughing Man. It suits you." She stepped close to him, causing Arthur's hands to become clammy. Was he imagining this or was this real? "So, you don't talk at all do you?" She asked. Arthur shook his head. She seemed puzzled at first but quickly covered the look with a smirk. "How am I suppose to hear you call me beautiful?" Her lips were curled up slyly. Arthur arched a brow at her, pretending to zip his lips and then cross his arms while looking away. He wasn't going to let her off that easily. "How about we play a game?" She played with the skirt of her dress. Arthur glanced at her, curious. "Give me a challenge. If I'm able to do it, I win and get to hear you speak." She playfully stuck out her tongue. Arthur put his hands on his hips, as though to as what he'd get if he won. "And if you win... you get to chose your prize." Arthur tapped his foot on the ground and pretended to brush his imaginary beard. He pointed his finger upward, sparking an idea. He slipped his gloved hand into his vest, lightly beating it against his chest to symbolize a beating heart. He then puckered his lips and blew a kiss at her. She chuckled. "Is that you saying you want a kiss. Well aren't you a cheeky little clown?" Arthur tugged at his vest as though to show off his confidence. _____ held out her hand, her pinky extended out. "Alright then, Carnival. Do we have a deal?" Arthur reached out and curled his pinky around hers. "So. What challang-"

"Lady Wayne! We've been looking for you everywhere!" The two looked over to see the frantic butler rushing over to them, Bruce following behind him. Lady Wayne. Like as in the wealthy family that owns a very wealthy business in the city? Arthur backed away from the young woman, suddenly remembering his place. 

"There was no need to worry, Alfred. I wanted to stretch my legs while you two enjoyed the show." She smiled at the butler. "How was the show, brother? Did they do anything different?"

"You should have been there, _____! There was a lady with a beard! A beard!" The young boy said excited. Arthur smiled at the boy. He must have been talking about Agatha, their newest member to the family. "Promise we'll come back soon. I want to show mother and father." 

"I'm sure mother and father would love to come back." _____ smiled, turning towards the clown. "I suppose this means we'll have to postpone our little game." Arthur nodded, dramatically wiping a tear from his face. _____ giggled, brushing her hair behind her ear. "Until we meet again." She blew a kiss at him before walking away with her brother and butler. 

Arthur stood there for a moment, a dopey smile on his face. Until they meet again. 

------

"Look at you, Arthur. Trying to court the Waynes' daughter." 

Timothy, The Small Man, glanced at Arthur when he came to sit down at the large dinner table under the 'kitchen' tent. Arthur rubbed the back of his neck, slightly embarrassed. 

"The Waynes' daughter? You mean ______ Wayne?" Agatha looked at Arthur shocked. Arthur shook his head. 

"I'm not.. trying to court her.." He stated, looking down at his empty plate. Timothy chuckled. 

"Awe, don't act like you weren't trying to flaunt yourself to her the other night. I haven't seen you smile that much since the Siamese twins." Arthur cringed at the mentioning of the two. Anna and Annie. Two heads sharing the same body. They fancied him. Showed up at his tent one night, practically begging him to sleep with them. 

Needless to say, Arthur wasn't a virgin since then. 

"The twins? Really?" Agatha was taken back. She was still very new to the family and didn't think Arthur to be the type to care about romance. He was a clown. Who could take him seriously? 

"T-That was.. a while back. They've moved on." Arthur tried to explain. Timothy rolled his eyes and smirked. 

"Is that why they always bat their lashes at you, because they've moved on?" 

"They don't do that.. do they?" Arthur asked, looking towards the other table set up under the tent. 

The Psychic, Maria. 

The Amazon Woman, Gertrude. 

The Strong Man, Bernard. 

The Lizard Boy, Jackson. 

And the Siamese Twins, Annie and Anna. 

Annie looked to be talking about something to Maria while Anna was staring down at her plate. They were rather fine looking women if not for the obvious deformity. Not that Arthur mind, he didn't think he would had deflowered two women at once. The attention he got when word spread through the camp. It made him nervous. 

"Over heard them talking to each other the other day." Timothy started, changing his voice to a high pitch, feminine one. "That night was simply amazing, I can't stop thinking about him."  

"Sounds like something Annie would say..." Arthur ran a hand through his hair, a chuckle escaping him. It's not he didn't like them. He fancied them quite nicely. They were his first. There was a connection. But.. that girl. _____. She was.. normal. Born perfectly normal. She had no flaws. She was beautiful. 

"You're still thinking about that Wayne girl. I wouldn't get too cozy with her if I were you." Timothy warned. Arthur furrowed his brows. "From what I heard she'd been courted countless times. She refuses each proposal. She's reaching that age where no suitors is going to want her." 

"Why wouldn't they?" Arthur asked, curious. Timothy chuckled. 

"Because, dear Arthur, when she peaks the age of womanhood, her womb won't be good for baring children." He explained. Arthur seemed puzzled. 

"Oh.." Then his cheeks brightened with color. "O-Oh!" He covered his face in embarrassment. Timothy and Agatha shared a laugh at his realization.  

The thought of her sprawled out on his bed, breathing heavily and a deep blush on her cheeks, ready to be deflowered. Arthur bit his lip and shook his head. He shouldn't think of her like that. She was a lady. A proper lady. And he, even a clown, was a gentleman. 

"I-I should go practice for tonight.." Arthur stood up and quickly left the table. He was wondering if she would show up tonight. He hadn't seen her in a few days. He missed her. 

He missed that beautiful smile. The devious look in her eyes when she challenged him. The thought of her made him smile to himself. Was he in love? Maybe. 

If he could give her the world, he would. It was clear that she refused marriages for a reason. She was looking for love. It was a sweet thought. Women usually married into wealth or for family benefits. But not her. She wanted love. 

"Arthur!" 

Arthur jumped when he heard his name. He turned around and found two familiar faces smiling up at him. He smiled back, greeting them as he was about to walk into his tent. 

"Annie, Anna.. H-How are you two doing?" He asked, a bit uneasy. He really should start getting ready for tonight. The gates would be opening in about two hours and it already took him a bit to perfect him makeup. 

"We're doing quite well. We saw you get up suddenly at dinner and rush out. We were worried." Annie said. 

Annie was always the sweet one. So caring and understanding. 

Anna was a bit introverted. She didn't talk much and when she did it was like she had never spoke before. 

"Oh, I'm fine, ladies. You don't have to worry." He assured them, rubbing the back of his neck. Something he did often when nervous. He wasn't sure how to deal with girls, especially ones that he had slept with. This was all still new to him. "I was just about to go in and start getting ready for tonight. Are you two excited-"

"We haven't talked since that night, Arthur." Anna spoke up, her words timid but a bit forceful. Arthur fell silent. 

Were they really wanting to talk about that night? The night they were drunk and stumbled into his tent, hot and bothered for him. He was undressing out of his clown suit at that time. He still had his makeup on. He wasn't sure if they even remembered it at first. He wasn't even sure if it was real.

He didn't know why he let them stay the night. 

He just couldn't say no. 

"That night?" He questioned, shuffling his stance. Anna nodded. Annie giggled. 

"It was quite fun, wasn't it?" She reached out and tugged at his dress shirt. "We wouldn't mind doing it again." 

"O-Oh?" Arthur smirked, his eyes trailing from her hand down to her arm. "A-As much as I would love to, um.. shouldn't you be getting ready for.. you know, the show?" He asked, trying to avoid any intimacy with them. Again, it wasn't that he didn't like them.. but his heart was beating for another. 

"We already practiced this morning. We're more ready than ever. Perhaps you'll come watch us?" They stepped closer, both of their hands on his chest, slowly unbuttoning his shirt. 

He always had a soft spot for woman. He just couldn't say no to them. 

"I'm sure I can sneak in and watch the show." He grabbed their hands gently, prying them off of him. "But I should really start getting ready. You know how long it takes for the paint to set in." He laughed cautiously. Annie was clearly trying to press herself against him, but Anna kept her foot planted, keeping her from going forward. Annie was agitated by this. 

"We should go, Annie.. He needs to get ready." Anna stated. 

Thank The Lord. Arthur was thankful for her. 

"Awe, very well." Annie pulled away from Arthur, her hands trailing down his torso as she did. She slightly tugged at his belt, tracing his semi-hard bulge in his trousers. Anna turned her heal, practically dragging her sister with her. 

Once they were gone, Arthur quickly retreated into his his tent, eager to get rid of the smaller tent in his pants. 

----- 

Arthur had his hair slicked back, changing up his style a bit. He was tired was the itchy wig he wore every night. It was starting to shed and fall apart. Perhaps if he put some of the paint in his hair and slick it back it would give the same type of aesthetic. So that's what he did. He went with green, bringing out the sea foam color in his eyes.   

He looked at himself in the looking glass, his makeup a lot more clean than he expected. He was able to take his time and really concentrate. He looked through his closet, thinking about changing his costume. He usually wore neutral colors but tonight he wanted to be a bit extra. He pulled out a vibrant red coat. A smirk crawled onto his lips as he got an idea. 

Carnival could use a bit of style. 

Arthur straightened his mango colored vest and puffed up the turquoise collar of his ruffled dress shirt. 1830's fashion was usually very neutral. Color was rare. He was sure that tonight's choice of appearance would catch attention of his peers. He chuckled at himself. 

He was sure to get her attention. Even if he had to wear it every night until he saw her, he would get her attention. 

But after that, then what? Either he or she won the game he would get what he wanted. He wanted to talk to her and he wanted a kiss. Who wouldn't want to kiss those beautifully plumped lips? 

Arthur sat at his vanity and pondered for a moment. What if he won the game and got his kiss? He wouldn't be able to talk to her. As much as he wanted to, he was loyal to his rules. Carnival didn't talk. Ever. 

Ah, he could write her a letter! 

Arthur grabbed his notepad and a quill, dipping it into an ink jar. He wrote quite often, thinking of ideas for acts or face paint sketching. He was very illiterate however, meaning it might be a bit difficult for her to understand. 

God, he hoped she could read. 

He began writing down on the paper. At first he wasn't sure how he should express himself. Firstly he should start by saying that he's wanted to talk to her since he first saw her. He wanted to let her know that he found her beautiful and that he had been captivated by her beauty. 

He wasn't sure how but ever since he changed up his style, he had a slight boost of confidence. Maybe it was the suit. Maybe it was the makeup. Maybe it was the fact that he knew that the Wayne girl was interested in him. Why else would she want to play that game? Surly she wanted him too, right? 

Arthur didn't care. He wanted to show her that he wanted to court her. He couldn't give her riches or fame but if she was looking for love then surly it wouldn't matter. 

God, he really hoped she could read...

-------

Arthur stood just outside the large tent, a few props laying about. He was currently juggling for a small audience of children. He smiled down at them, pulling a few tricks while he juggled. He enjoyed their shocked expressions and wondering gaze. His performance never got old to them. A few commented on his appearance, thrilled to see bright colors. It simply boosted his confidence even more. 

His eyes kept peering around the crowd, looking for her or at least her younger brother. If Bruce was here, so was she. He would meet the shocked and curious faces of his coworkers, recognizing that the charming clown was the timid and quiet Arthur. He noticed that the twins were peaking out of their tent, watching him from a distant. He couldn't hear them but he knew that they were talking about him to each other. Annie was smiling while Anna looked a bit unsure. Arthur pushed them from his thoughts. They weren't important right now. Right now, he had an audience to entertain. 

Suddenly he noticed the familiar boy in the audience. Ah, little Bruce. He had his face painted up like his. Margret was always a talents artist. Used Arthur a few times for inspiration. Arthur smiled at Bruce and gave him a dramatic bow. 

"It is you! I knew it was you. _____ said it wasn't but I knew it was you." Bruce said, excited. Arthur gave a silent chuckle, nodding his head. Bruce looked around the crowned and sighed. "Alfred's gone to get tickets for the show. ______'s with her suitor." He sighed, crossing his arms. "Between you and me, I think he's an absolute prude." 

Arthur hid his disappointment with a bright smile, nodding in agreement with Bruce. The young boy laughed and looked around. 

"I know she's excited to see you. Talks about nothing else but about the show and how she'd like to come back." Bruce admitted. Arthur arched a brow, putting his hands on his hips and tapped his foot. "She does! You just wait." Bruce turned his head when he heard Alfred call for him. "Alfred is calling for me, I have to go. But you just wait." 

Arthur watched as the boy ran off to find his butler. He sighed to himself and continued his act. He shouldn't think too much on it. He needed to focus on his performance. Not long after Bruce ran off Arthur spotted the butler and the young boy make their way inside the tent, followed by the beautiful woman and a stranger beside her. 

She was indeed beautiful but Arthur could see the melancholy look in her eyes as she held onto the arm of her suitor. Was she not happy? Arthur couldn't blame her. By the looks of the man he looked as though he had no personality at all, and if he did he assumed it was very blunt. 

_____ looked to meet Arthur's gaze as she passed by. Their eyes met and she seemed surprised at Arthur's new appearance. The bright colors brought a smile to her face. Arthur gave her a nod, a smirk on his lips. She nodded back, giving him a wink. He wasn't sure what that meant but it was possibly to let him know to be on the look out. For what, he wasn't sure. 

------

Arthur took a moment to relax his arms while the show started. He leaned against a light post and took in a deep breath of the evening air. It was nice evening. A warm one. His coat made him a little hot but now that everyone was inside he was able to take a breather and cool off. He started thinking to himself. 

A suitor, huh? 

Arthur sighed and pulled the letter out of his coat pocket and opened it up. So much for writing down his confession. Still, the way she looked before she caught sight of him. He had never seen someone so sad looking. It was strange. Arthur read his words silently to himself, unable to realize a few grammar mistakes in his confession.

Should he still give it to her? Would she even care? 

Arthur groaned and started folding the letter up. He didn't realize that he wasn't alone when he felt a pair of arms snake around his waist and squeeze him tightly. He flinched at first. 

What were doing out here? They should be behind the stage getting ready to go on!

"Annie, Anna. You shouldn't be here." He grabbed their hands and once against pried them off of him. He was growing tired of their efforts, especially Annie's. He turned to meet them face to.. faces. "Should you be- Oh!" Arthur was taken back when he didn't see the twins. 

Instead it was her. 

Arthur quickly covered his mouth in order to silence himself from saying anything else . _____ laughed, the happiness returning in her eyes. 

"Surprised you, didn't I?" She asked, holding her side as she laughed. Arthur snuck out a chuckle at her little trick and nodded. She took a step back and played with the skirt of her dress. "I would've come earlier but.. as you can see I have myself a suitor." She rolled her eyes in annoyance. Arthur felt himself almost doing the same thing. "My parents are worried that I won't find myself a husband in time before my 'birthing hips' go to waste." She gestured her fingers in parenthesis. Arthur arched a brow. 

Ah, so Timothy was right. 

"Frankly, he's a bore. An absolute prude." She stated, causing Arthur to nearly chuckle. Just like her brother.  "I might as well marry a clown." She jested, giggling to herself. Arthur smirked and bent down on one knee, a hand on his chest and the other reaching out to her. Very similar to when he compared her beauty that of the moon. _____ laughed at his actions. "But of course I'll marry you, Carnival!" She noticed the letter in his hand. "Ooo, is that for me, dear Carnival?" She asked, pointing to the letter. Arthur quickly stood up and hid the letter behind his back. _____ arched a brow and put her hands on her hips. She smirked. "Keeping secrets then? Shall I even ask who Annie and Anna are?" 

Arthur shook his head. The last thing she needed to know about were the twins.  

"Yes, I heard you speak. However, you haven't told me that I'm as beautiful as the moon... so, I shall not be satisfied until I do." She crossed her arms and pretended to be offended. 

She knew about the letter. It was now or never. 

Arthur gave an exaggerated sigh before holding out the letter to her. She took it, curious to know what was written. She could see he was a bit nervous. 

"How about I read it after our little game, hm?" She asked, folding the letter up and  slipping it in between her bosoms. "We didn't get to play the other night." 

Arthur nodded in response and grabbed her hand. He wanted to give her something easy to do, something that would let her win. He led her off the walkway and towards an open area of the property. A few obstacles were set up for some of the acrobatic talented freaks to practice on. One of which being a narrow plank about fifteen feet long. It was about three feet high. So easy that a child could do it. Arthur gestured to the plank while letting go of her hand. _____ looked at him curious. 

"You want me to walk across that?" She asked. She figured he would have her try to juggle or perform a magic trick. This would be too easy. She gave him a suspicious look. "Alright. But you better not cheat so you can get a kiss." She chuckled while stepping up at the beginning of the plank. Arthur held up his hands in defense, proving that he would do none of the sort. ______ looked at the plank, studying it's strength as she stepped onto it. It looked to be very sturdy. "Promise to catch me if I fall?" She glanced at Arthur before taking another step. Arthur nodded, extending a hand out to her and walking beside her as she balanced on the plank. She seemed to be doing well, even pretending to stumble a few times. At one point she put her hand in his, keeping her balance when her fooling around almost costed her the win. Arthur smiled up at her. 

She always seemed to bring a smile to his face. 

She finally reached the end and cheered in victory. She jumped off of the plank and into Arthur's arms. He was surprised at first, catching her just to make sure she was safe. She smiled up at him, her eyes sparkling in the moonlight. Arthur noticed that faint color in her cheeks. 

What was she blushing about?

_____ leaned up and kissed him suddenly. Arthur stiffened up, his muscled tensing. 

Was this really happening? She won the game. Not him.

Arthur's arms naturally held her waist, leaning into her kiss. _____ reached up and caressed his cheek, careful not to smudge his makeup. She felt his hand on her back, rubbing circle slightly. This caused her to smile against his lips. 

"What was that for?" Arthur asked as he pulled away from her, gazing down at her. She may or may not of had some of his makeup on her face. 

"I would've fallen if it were not for you helping me across." She stated, playing with the collar of his dress shirt. "I must say I was hoping you would give me something difficult so I would have to kiss you.." She admitted, biting her lips slightly. Arthur chuckled to himself, no longer needing to hold his voice back. They were in a private section of the camp, no one would notice them gone. "Now.. shall I read the letter out loud or shall you?" She asked. Arthur felt the color of his skin fade from his face. 

He should absolutely not read it out loud. He would for sure fall into a laughing fit. 

"Oh, you should read it.. silently.." He suggested. _____ stepped back and pulled the letter from the front of her dress. 

"Oh my, is it a love confession?" She chuckled, unfolding the letter. Arthur felt himself shuffle. He watched her as she gazed down at it, squinting her eyes a bit as the moon was he only light. She immediately noticed the grammar mistakes but from what she read she could make out;

This mite sound forward and I am awhere that you and I don't know each other vary well. But I need to say it. Your beuty can not be compared to a rare mango or by the illamiting pearl or even to the moon. Your beuty is that of the entire nite sky. The moon. The son. The stars. Everything. Your smile is so brite and I don't need to think of anything else but your smile in order to start my day. I have nothing to give you but myself. My heart is yours if you would like it. I mite just be a clown but I do have a heart. And I would gladly give it to you _____.  

_____ lowered the note and gazed up at the bashful clown before her. Her heart.. swooned. She felt a faint smile grow on her face. She had received many letters by men trying to court her. Many were the same. They always wanted her hand in marriage, always asking her to submit to their affections. Arthur did not ask for her affections back. He simply offered his affections to hers. 

"Oh my, Carnival.." She said hushly. 

"Arthur.." He corrected her. "My name is Arthur." 

"Arthur.." _____ repeated, hearing how his name sounded to her. She smiled. He noticed this. 

"I know it's.. silly. I'm sure you receive countless confessions like that.. I can't imagine mine is any different." He found himself rubbing the back of his neck. "And you.. have a suitor already. Someone who will be able to take care of you and give you everything they want." 

"Yes. That's true." _____ said, bluntly. She took a step forward and reached out to caress his cheek again. "But they say passionless words to try to woo me. They may be able to provide me earthly possessions and may spoil me with their efforts but they would never understand that I don't want a tamed life." She stated, her fingers dancing on his hallow cheek. "Courtship, arranged marriages and planned heirs are unnecessary in my eyes. Why would I want that when there is a fun life with a clown?" She smirked. Arthur chuckled, reaching up and holding her hand. 

"You wouldn't want this life. It's like living the same life everyday. You'd grow tired of it." 

"Then perhaps we should ran away together." _____ teased, feeling her hand in his warm grasp. "You, me and the unknown ahead of us." 

"You shouldn't jest about that. You have a family here. They would be worried about you." 

"My family are sending me into a loveless marriage by the week's end..I would leave it all behind if it meant my freedom." She stepped closer to him. "Especially if it means I can leave it all behind with you." 

"You would want me?" 

"I know who you are just by your letter, Arthur." She held up the letter and gazed into his eyes. "I know you are a sweet man who only wants to make me smile. You say I'm as beautiful as the moon-" 

"No." Arthur stepped forward, nearly closing the gap between them. His arm snaked around her waist. "I said your beauty is far more greater than the beauty of the moon, the sun and stars. You are the most beautiful creature I have ever layed eyes upon. I would crumble to my knees if it meant that I had a chance to win your heart." 

"You won't need to." _____ leaned up and kissed him. Arthur leaned into her, supporting her weight into his arms. She was shocked at first, even making a little noise. She hadn't expected him to be strong but years of juggling for hours and doing most acts with his arms cause his muscles to become strong. 

"Then I suppose we should get going before the show ends. They'll be looking for you soon." He said against her lips, kissing her again. 

"And what Annie and Anna? They sounded important." She chuckled while pressed against him. 

"Please don't remind me..." He slightly groaned. _____ giggled. "Come, I have a few things to grab before we go." 

"Such as?" 

"Well, I do have some money saved up. It's not much but it's something." 

"Arthur." _____ pulled away and gestured to her jewelers. Earnings, necklace, rings and bracelet all on display. "These are real diamonds and real silver..we won't need to worry about fiances, my love." 

"What did you say?" Arthur asked, shaking his head slightly to make sure he heard her right. 

"That they're real diamonds-" 

"No, no, no.. that last part." He pulled her closer, a smirk on his lips. "What did you call me?" 

"My Love."  

"My Love." He repeated, leaning in and kissing her again. "My Love!" He laughed, picking her up and twirling her around. 

"Arthur, dear! Someone might hear us! We must go!" _____ squealed excited. Arthur put her down, straitening the ruffles in her dress. 

"Yes.. Yes, we'll go. And..." He grabbed her hand and kisses it. "And be married..and we might not know where to go but.. as long as I'm with you, _____. I'll be the happiest man alive." 

"Then let us go! The longer we wait the longer it is until we are wed!" She squeezed his hands. "What is your family name, if I may be so bold to ask?" She asked. Arthur chuckled. 

"Fleck. Arthur Fleck." He said. _____ thought for a moment. 

"_____ Fleck.." She smiled. "Sounds much better than _____ Wayne." She said her last name with a drag, founding falsely formal. Arthur took her hand and looked around. They wouldn't be able to flee by the walkway. They needed to go undetected. If anyone were to see the clown and the young lady run they would go after them for sure. 

"There's a hidden path in the forest. It may be a long walk before we hit any type of road. Are you ready?" He looked down at her, reaching up and caressing his cheek. _____ nodded, taking a hold of his arm. 

"Lead the way, my love." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

58.5K 1.6K 28
𝓕𝓸𝓻 𝓶𝔂 𝔀𝓱𝓸𝓵𝓮 𝓵𝓲𝓯𝓮 𝓘 𝓭𝓲𝓭𝓷'𝓽 𝓴𝓷𝓸𝔀 𝓲𝓯 𝓘 𝓮𝓿𝓮𝓷 𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓮𝔁𝓲𝓼𝓽𝓮𝓭, 𝓫𝓾𝓽 𝓘 𝓭𝓸 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓹𝓮𝓸𝓹𝓵𝓮 𝓪𝓻𝓮 𝓼𝓽�...
Harley By L.

Fanfiction

3.9K 120 17
"All these people doubting me, belittling me day in and day out. It's enough to make a girl go crazy." ...
28.1K 692 38
(Y/N): "My name is not (Y/N) Napier....I am....CARNAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" What if the Joker has a little brother like him...and between...
12.1K 380 26
Arthur Fleck is a lonely clown who lives his life between punches and failure. Maybe there is only one thing that can change his tragic destiny.